Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Windsurfing Learning Curve

Created by Dwbh > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2014
Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Nov 2014 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Happy G20 everyone

Today was pretty good - we had a few thing to get, a non slip pad for the Be Bop, so off to the Goldy to pick up the pretty colours Anita wants (the things we do) 50 ks all the way - yes I mean all the way.

Picked up some nice Blue Marble decking from Ajsp at Arundel.. cool

Yatala pie on the way home (naughty really) Pfffft! will have to work it off tomorrow at RQ beach.

Went to Wellington Point this afternoon and everyone was out - Man, I didn't have my gear but I had to fix stuff at home for tomoz

Taking all boards tomorrow - wind is up - might even take the shark for a run (don't tell anyone ) - should be there by 12 noon for an afternoon sailing

Tony and Jeff are coming so looking forward to having some fun with the Improvers - Hey Jeff, Tony, Mal, Ants, Jaye, Anita we are going to have to get 'The Improvers' t shirts printed .

Cheers
Morgan

MarkSSC
QLD, 635 posts
14 Nov 2014 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
warning Rant... Long...

I've spent the morning considering a reply to the "stick to one board" theme....

I had similar conversations and advice ....
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Queensland/Cootharaba-Christmas/?page=1

So being a sailing friend of Morgan and going out with most of the local improvers....
Bob, Tony, Mal, Morgan,Pat and Anita i would say i'm pretty well in contact with the intermediate windsurfers in the local area. I share their struggles :-)

So why do we choose different boards and not stick with the one board?

We are all in contact with helpful friends offering advice when they see us struggling with our gear. In a way I feel responsible for some of the longboard choices being made within our group.

We are all in contact with the major shops in the local area - making considered purchasing decisions.

I am still sailing differing boards depending on the conditions - still spending time on the Go when i think the conditions are suitable. Still feeling frustrated....typically...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Queensland/Sandstone-point-shortboard-development/

I've been with Morgan when he has made the decision to change boards... Its a choice "more time on the water" vs "more time in the water" or sitting another session out because of too little/much wind!!

Morgan and I have discussed the general dismissal we feel for the choices made, knowing that often the choices we make are so we remain in the sport.

Coming back into Manly beach to ride the SUP/Windsurfer after being trashed on the Shark for an hour is not a choice made easily; its made to keep the stoke of windsurfing alive after another humbling hour in the water.

Similarly when I've spent 2 hours schlogging back and forward or getting tossed over the handle bars I am more than ready to look for an alternate ride that is going to get me "on the water" rather than'"in the water" or "off the water".

Agreed this may be confuse the Learning Curve however other things are being learned. F2 comet-old skool slalom- in high winds...Waterstarts, Footstraps, Pointing my toes. Raceboard...Big sails.. Waterstarting huge cammed sails in rough water with gusty winds. Tacking and sailing downwind. Committing to the harness (aside.. Same sail setup on longbord I dont fall out of the lines whereas its still a problem on the shortboard)

There is also which "one board" do we stick with? I'm onto my 4th 'one board' to stick with. All changes have been made with advice from people coaching my sailing!

Morgan and I agree that there is development sailing and recreational sailing. This needs to be kept in balance, for us 'older sailors' starting later in life many issues conspire against us. We both are in awe of the progress made by Morgans young son Jaye on the same equipment that Morgan has access to.

Getting lessons (rant).... Essentially lessons for us intermediate windsurfers is "vapourware" ..Once you get past uphauling in rosebay on calm days- that's it! ......Presently sitting at home - wind blowing - on 2 weeks holiday - can't find anybody to throw money at to get some lessons!

However I have been fortunate and had access to lessons via friends who know somebody.

Given that I will give a loud shout out to the help Morgan has received through his RQ contacts and Simon. Myself through the Peter's at Windwanders and Tony and Duncan at Cootharaba. It seems that Windwanders is the only windsurf group that are doing something to address the needs of us intermediates. Wish something more local was happening.

In summary .... we are getting advice and help ... some of that advice has been to change the boards we are on .. sometimes we need just to go sailing and that may mean going out on a board that we know will work

Morgan and I are very committed ....
and if one board did it we would already be there and not sharing in a learners thread.

I feel less angry now Just trying to tell it how it is for us learners who so want it- so bad!!!

Congratulations Morgan on your first year - looking forward to spending more time with you.

Cheers Jeff

The thing I like the most about this post is the honesty and that it is addressed to intermediates. I have thought about the question of which board is next...especially when the wind blows and my 146L machine is riding the chop with more bump than jump. The budget always constrains choice of course, meaning that much thought goes into any major purchase. The good thing about this sport is the unending challenges. Small victories followed by humbling sessions where nothing really clicked. For me, the answer to my choice in a board is patience. I have found that as my experience increases the more comfortable I am in heavier conditions. There is a point though, when I would need a smaller board, purely for the stability it would bring in windier, choppier conditions. Realistically, I am thinking of having more time on the 'one' board I have owned for this my third season. The three sails I carry can fit on the same mast and cover me for light - medium - stronger winds. This keeps me on the water in a good range of conditions. having fun and being happy on the water are the best goals to have.
Cheers

kpb
QLD, 239 posts
15 Nov 2014 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
warning Rant... Long...

I've spent the morning considering a reply to the "stick to one board" theme....

I had similar conversations and advice ....
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Queensland/Cootharaba-Christmas/?page=1

So being a sailing friend of Morgan and going out with most of the local improvers....
Bob, Tony, Mal, Morgan,Pat and Anita i would say i'm pretty well in contact with the intermediate windsurfers in the local area. I share their struggles :-)

So why do we choose different boards and not stick with the one board?

We are all in contact with helpful friends offering advice when they see us struggling with our gear. In a way I feel responsible for some of the longboard choices being made within our group.

We are all in contact with the major shops in the local area - making considered purchasing decisions.

I am still sailing differing boards depending on the conditions - still spending time on the Go when i think the conditions are suitable. Still feeling frustrated....typically...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Queensland/Sandstone-point-shortboard-development/

I've been with Morgan when he has made the decision to change boards... Its a choice "more time on the water" vs "more time in the water" or sitting another session out because of too little/much wind!!

Morgan and I have discussed the general dismissal we feel for the choices made, knowing that often the choices we make are so we remain in the sport.

Coming back into Manly beach to ride the SUP/Windsurfer after being trashed on the Shark for an hour is not a choice made easily; its made to keep the stoke of windsurfing alive after another humbling hour in the water.

Similarly when I've spent 2 hours schlogging back and forward or getting tossed over the handle bars I am more than ready to look for an alternate ride that is going to get me "on the water" rather than'"in the water" or "off the water".

Agreed this may be confuse the Learning Curve however other things are being learned. F2 comet-old skool slalom- in high winds...Waterstarts, Footstraps, Pointing my toes. Raceboard...Big sails.. Waterstarting huge cammed sails in rough water with gusty winds. Tacking and sailing downwind. Committing to the harness (aside.. Same sail setup on longbord I dont fall out of the lines whereas its still a problem on the shortboard)

There is also which "one board" do we stick with? I'm onto my 4th 'one board' to stick with. All changes have been made with advice from people coaching my sailing!

Morgan and I agree that there is development sailing and recreational sailing. This needs to be kept in balance, for us 'older sailors' starting later in life many issues conspire against us. We both are in awe of the progress made by Morgans young son Jaye on the same equipment that Morgan has access to.

Getting lessons (rant).... Essentially lessons for us intermediate windsurfers is "vapourware" ..Once you get past uphauling in rosebay on calm days- that's it! ......Presently sitting at home - wind blowing - on 2 weeks holiday - can't find anybody to throw money at to get some lessons!

However I have been fortunate and had access to lessons via friends who know somebody.

Given that I will give a loud shout out to the help Morgan has received through his RQ contacts and Simon. Myself through the Peter's at Windwanders and Tony and Duncan at Cootharaba. It seems that Windwanders is the only windsurf group that are doing something to address the needs of us intermediates. Wish something more local was happening.

In summary .... we are getting advice and help ... some of that advice has been to change the boards we are on .. sometimes we need just to go sailing and that may mean going out on a board that we know will work

Morgan and I are very committed ....
and if one board did it we would already be there and not sharing in a learners thread.

I feel less angry now Just trying to tell it how it is for us learners who so want it- so bad!!!

Congratulations Morgan on your first year - looking forward to spending more time with you.

Cheers Jeff

I enjoyed reading this post and can relate to frustration smaller boards can cause us beginner/intermediate sailors.The great thing about windsurfing is the amount of gear you can choose from, the combinations are endless.I guess that can confuse the issue as well.I have really only ever stuck to the one board my trusty starboard start..I find that I know that when I go out in anything from 15 to 25 Knotts I'm gonna come back to the beach with a smile on my dial..I also know I should be getting on a smaller board (the shark)which I have (thanks Simon)...the biggest question I struggle with is if I take the smaller board chances are I may not have as much time above the water so less time zipping about, if I persist with a smaller board for a while chances are I would experience a whole new level of windsurfing fun...I recon however go about your windsurfing make sure you are having fun .

MarkSSC
QLD, 635 posts
15 Nov 2014 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Good comments KPG I would add that there are also distinct differences between boards and how to handle them. Balance, feel and control are where it is at. The need for a smaller board arises when we want to go in the surf of the wind / chop goes above 20kts. With the smaller board comes more speed and the added precision and timing necessary to avoid crashing. My footwork is not as nimble as it was in my younger years or when I am just plain tired. I have been looking at the new concept 'thinner and wider' boards such as the JP Magic Ride because they have such good width, stability and buoyancy in combination with small board manoeuvrability. Seems like the go for us intermediates? What do you guys think?

AntsC
QLD, 114 posts
15 Nov 2014 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Happy G20 everyone

Today was pretty good - we had a few thing to get, a non slip pad for the Be Bop, so off to the Goldy to pick up the pretty colours Anita wants (the things we do) 50 ks all the way - yes I mean all the way.

Picked up some nice Blue Marble decking from Ajsp at Arundel.. cool

Yatala pie on the way home (naughty really) Pfffft! will have to work it off tomorrow at RQ beach.

Went to Wellington Point this afternoon and everyone was out - Man, I didn't have my gear but I had to fix stuff at home for tomoz

Taking all boards tomorrow - wind is up - might even take the shark for a run (don't tell anyone ) - should be there by 12 noon for an afternoon sailing

Tony and Jeff are coming so looking forward to having some fun with the Improvers - Hey Jeff, Tony, Mal, Ants, Jaye, Anita we are going to have to get 'The Improvers' t shirts printed .

Cheers
Morgan

I'm in for tshirts! Haha
I attempted RQ yesterday arvo... Ah..... Yeah.... 2 ru s and I was done! Got the race board planning twice and that was pretty hairy in the chop. Needless to say tacking was crazy yesterday in the chop and nearly impossible for me. Hopefully will come down to Wello and see if it's a bit flatter today.

Save me me a car park! Lol

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
15 Nov 2014 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Going to RQ now

Orange Whip
QLD, 1044 posts
15 Nov 2014 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

My 2 cents worth as a fellow novice, regarding the recent posts above:-
i find that consistency of wind strength is a big factor when trying to progress. Where I sail I am lucky because it will blow fairly consistently for the whole time I'm out on the water in one session, that means if you rig right at the outset you can fine tune your sail and technique during the session In an attempt to improve. In Feb this year I decided to take a weeks holiday and go to Boreen Point to do nothing but sail for a week to try to improve. I took part in the guy Cribb clinic which was great from a tuition point of view but I found the conditions on the lake were not conducive to improving aspects of my sailing because the wind would vary from 5 to 17 knots at regular intervals throughout the day. I wasn't aware the conditions in February on the lake fluctuate so much. I found it very difficult to try to improve under these conditions. I haven't even been to the Brisbane sailing beaches let alone sail them but from reading your posts you seem to be confronted by the same fluctuating wind strengths requiring you to consider different sized sails and boards siring one session.
Anyway, good luck with your journey, i find windsurfing very challenging, but that's what I like about it, I will never get bored with it and I love that aspect of it.
cheers to all

benyip
NSW, 76 posts
15 Nov 2014 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

I just want to correct one mistake I made before..RSX is not for beginners. My friend did rsx many times, he told me it looks like it is suitable for beginner, but it is not..I never try one myself.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
16 Nov 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Orange Whip

Your 2c worth is always most welcome - nice to hear from you - it is a tough sport to learn - especially if we are over 40 or 50 +

benyip - RSX - I find very easy to ride - like the Pacifico, but the footstraps are on the edge making them difficult for a beginner to access. 220 litres around a metre wide makes it very stable and gets going. Yep it has been mentioned by many that it is not a beginners board. I was favouring it for a while but have gravitated back to the Pacifico - I think the only reason for that is the pacifico seems to go faster earlier and easier is to get there and it does't have a fin (660) that I have to be waist deep in water to ride. I have had massive fun on the RSX - oh and it breaks easily - I was smashing the nose every time I went out so another reason why I changed.

I was trying to take notice of my stance yesterday but, someone said it was gusting to 30kts (felt like it) so didn't have much of a chance of taking any notice of where or how I was standing just interested in holding on. Did do a stack of water starts though woo hoo

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
16 Nov 2014 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Heading back to RQ Beach today

Everyone turned up - there was Mal, Tony, Jeff, Bob and AntC came down for a look. Was excellent to get all the improvers together again

Got pretty smashed but would just like to say I went the fastest I have ever gone on the Pacifico yesterday standing on the fin was pretty cool - didn't have any foot straps on to get in - oh well. Did a stack of water starts - it was a good day to practice those. But plenty of walking to get back to RQ Beach though - it was the only way to get there.

For the record - I would like to say I took the Fanatic Shark 165l for a quick spin with the ezzy 6.3m sail. Was interesting - even did a water start on it sort of anyway.

Back to the Pacifico and away we go - I think the 6.3 was probably a bit big for me yesterday - I still had it rigged wrong Peter De Laet stopped by and was very kind to help me rig it correctly. Nice to see Peter De Laet (Wind Wanderers) who popped in for a visit.

Jaye - went out on the Fanatic shark and his new Maui 4.7m wave sail. He got smashed and came in - didn't spend too much time on the water - but I must say he looked the part. Jaye has his serious face on in these photos

Anita - Too windy - something to look at with the Peters at the clinic at Elanda point later in the month

Have fun every one and hope you guys from bayside have a good race - tried to talk Jaye into it but not this time.

Cheers
Morgan

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8014 posts
16 Nov 2014 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics.. enjoy seeing them.

Carindale
QLD, 331 posts
16 Nov 2014 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Heading back to RQ Beach today

Everyone turned up - there was Mal, Tony, Jeff, Bob and AntC came down for a look. Was excellent to get all the improvers together again

Got pretty smashed but would just like to say I went the fastest I have ever gone on the Pacifico yesterday standing on the fin was pretty cool - didn't have any foot straps on to get in - oh well. Did a stack of water starts - it was a good day to practice those. But plenty of walking to get back to RQ Beach though - it was the only way to get there.

For the record - I would like to say I took the Fanatic Shark 165l for a quick spin with the ezzy 6.3m sail. Was interesting - even did a water start on it sort of anyway.

Back to the Pacifico and away we go - I think the 6.3 was probably a bit big for me yesterday - I still had it rigged wrong Peter De Laet stopped by and was very kind to help me rig it correctly. Nice to see Peter De Laet (Wind Wanderers) who popped in for a visit.

Jaye - went out on the Fanatic shark and his new Maui 4.7m wave sail. He got smashed and came in - didn't spend too much time on the water - but I must say he looked the part. Jaye has his serious face on in these photos

Anita - Too windy - something to look at with the Peters at the clinic at Elanda point later in the month

Have fun every one and hope you guys from bayside have a good race - tried to talk Jaye into it but not this time.

Cheers
Morgan

hi Morgan,

im enjoying reading your journey. Thanks for sharing it with us. We'll done on the 12 month mark.

You should consider getting involved with Bayside sailboards and sailing with them. There are heaps of friendly expert sailors ( and intermediates there as well) to give advice and help (experts advice not beginners) And wynnum is a great spot for beginners, intermediates and experts.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
17 Nov 2014 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Carindale - We haven't tried Wynnum yet might have to come and give it a go.

Windsurfing Sunday at RQ Beach was nice - it was a light wind gusting a bit enough to get the Pacifico up and going. Man there were some jelly fish out there. I would no sooner get up and going and the massive school of jellies hitting the fin would slow be back down. Good reason to not fall in lol.When I first got there it was still blowing a bit so rigged the 6.6m Avanti (great sail sooo light and easy to deal with) - turned out it was still a bit small for what wind was there but I still had fun. Spent a couple of hours on the water - a pleasant afternoon.

See you out there
Morgan

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
17 Nov 2014 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
anyway.

Cheers
Morgan

Morgan,

I've jsut checked the gpsteamchallenge.com.au site and what sail size the Morton Bay Mob were using on Saturday. Both Vando and glynn both used their 6.3, so your 6.3 should have been the right size. If it felt a bit big it was probably sail trim, most probably not enough down haul. What adjustments did Peter make to the trim of the sail?

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
17 Nov 2014 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

Dwbh said..
anyway.

Cheers
Morgan

Morgan,

I've jsut checked the gpsteamchallenge.com.au site and what sail size the Morton Bay Mob were using on Saturday. Both Vando and glynn both used their 6.3, so your 6.3 should have been the right size. If it felt a bit big it was probably sail trim, most probably not enough down haul. What adjustments did Peter make to the trim of the sail?

Yeah it was John - Peter adjusted the down haul

cammd
QLD, 3749 posts
18 Nov 2014 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Morgan

Congrats to you, Jaye and Anita on reaching the 12 month mark. This thread is a great read and source of useful info. Your positive attitude, sense of humour, openess, and persistance are a credit to you. Respect. I am looking forward to spending many more afternoons sailing with you.

bc
QLD, 700 posts
19 Nov 2014 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

I posted this in other thread but applies here to

So any one that is having any issues I am going to be running free clinics every second weekend on the south side on a Saturday afternoon, just PM And remember we all just want to have fun........ Simon

bc
QLD, 700 posts
19 Nov 2014 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..

John340 said..

Dwbh said..
anyway.

Cheers
Morgan

Morgan,

Yeah it was John - Peter adjusted the down haul

Sorry John , but how could you possibly think that a sail size picked by some of the countries top speed sailors would e the right size for Morgan, I was there the wind increased to 30 knots by late afternoon

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
19 Nov 2014 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bc said..
I posted this in other thread but applies here to

So any one that is having any issues I am going to be running free clinics every second weekend on the south side on a Saturday afternoon, just PM And remember we all just want to have fun........ Simon

We will be there with bells on

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
21 Nov 2014 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Fair call Simon. What size would have been appropriate for Morgan?

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
21 Nov 2014 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

We will be heading to Wello tomorrow - haven't been for a while so here we come guys - will try not to fall off in front of you lol. They should have "L" plates for learners maybe

Looks good for mid to late morning

Can't wait to get on the water has been a big week phew!!!!! just sent last email for work just now. Nothing to think of now except getting out on the water now.

See you out there

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
22 Nov 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Last minute decision - Golden Beach today, feel like some blue water for a change should be there around 11 ish and Wello tomorrow.

Have fun

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
22 Nov 2014 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Half your luck Morgan. Off soon to do a drop off at Schoolies!!!

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
22 Nov 2014 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MalJ said..
Half your luck Morgan. Off soon to do a drop off at Schoolies!!!

Might see you at Wello tomorrow

Mera
3 posts
22 Nov 2014 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

I hope you had fun today Morgan!

Sacha and I went to Manly this morning at high tide. Can anyone explain to me why we were able to sail away from the beach in a straight line out to the bay, but when we turned around, we couldn't come back in the same line. Instead, the wind took us parallel to the shore, towards Darling Point? I had to walk the board in because I couldn't sail back!

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
23 Nov 2014 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Yes we did thank you Mera - hope you guys did the same

Wow what a great day of windsurfing today was at Golden Beach. Almost symbolic as it was just twelve months that I had my first lesson there when I learnt to up haul and turn the board around – what a different day I had today. Not sure what the wind was but it was substantial, all the locals seemed to lap it up. They were very friendly and did offer some helpful advice – thank you. Man there was some fantastic sailing at Golden Beach today from awesome tricks to massive speed runs – great to watch.Anita – Too windy – chief photographer today

Jaye – started out with a 6.3m ezzy sail on his mistral energiser 110L and got a bit smashed so came in and grabbed the 4.7 Maui sail — yep that did the trick he was away. A nice friendly guy called Wil was kind enough to offer Jaye some advice on rigging, we didn’t have enough down haul. Thanks for that Wil cheers.

Me – started out with the Pacifico and the 6.6m Avanti I was a bit overpowered – everyone else seemed to have a five something rigged. Good news when Jaye and Anita standing on the beach waved me down and offered the 6.3m ezzy sail. Spent a good 2+ hours in the water – man I am aching all over and what muscles aren’t aching are cramping lol. The sign of a great day.

Stats for the day – Up hauling 1, Water Starts lots, Beach Starts even more, planing yep, Harness most of the time, Stacks plenty, Smiles heaps

One thing that did happen for the first time was that the harness became unhooked a couple of times today….. What! MarkSSC said he pushes the boom away and I am sure Simon has mentioned that before - now I know what it means

Was sooooo nice to sail on flat water awesome - the tidal rush was a bit of a worry in spots for a bit as we are not used to that but got passed it and didn't wash out the mouth of the river phew..

Gav1 has taken a few excellent photos in other thread caloundra

Here are a couple of us

Today Sunday heading to Wellington Point - I am only going to take the Fanatic Shark for a spin at Wello - after watching Jaye yesterday on his mistral - I am inspired to have a go - we will see.

bc
QLD, 700 posts
23 Nov 2014 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Might see you there morgan, alo..........the boom on the simmer for jay is way to low. Making him croutch to much

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
23 Nov 2014 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

great photo's,,they can tell a lot, Jaye looks to be doing well, amazingly well with that super low boom!! bump it up a bit and it will be a whole new world!
If your on a sandy beach.. dig the fin in the sand stand on the board.. should be about shoulder high as rough starting point guide

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
24 Nov 2014 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Wellington point is also a great spot to go windsurfing. I headed there yesterday with only the Fanatic Shark 165, a big board in windsurfing terms, but still a very small board in my eyes. Small board development day as we improver's call it. I didn't take the Pacifico (my go to board) because I wanted to eliminate the option to swap boards.

Jaye - was cactus from Saturday

Anita - too windy

Me - I set the Fanatic up with 37.5 fin first and 6.3m Ezzy sail. One of the local guys measured the wind at 18knots. At Wellington Point there is a nice sand bank that comes out and offers some fairly flat water for speedsters and good for learners.When I first went out I seemed to be shlogging along not getting on the plane so I changed back to the 540 fin - didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. The wind had definitely dropped - maybe around the 12+ knots. Simon popped over a quick look and gave some handy pointers - need to bring my feet closer together and make sure I point the board across the wind in preparation for waterstarting. Thanks mate really appreciate it. Not only that but I was very fortunate that an experienced sailer Dan offered a stack of good advice - thanks Dan that was excellent. Given me lots and lots to think about between now and when I get on the water again.

A good day for development on the short board for me - lets have a look at the stats

Stats - Tacks - a few, Gybes - nil, Water Starting - not so good, Beach Start - all good, Staying on the board - pretty good, Planing - once and fell off, Up hauls - many lost count, Fun - yep

I must be improving as being out on the Fanatic wasn't as bad as I thought it might have been - interesting. In the conditions yesterday I would have come in and got the Pacifico if I had taken it after the first 20mins.

Was in a little trouble when I came in - oops chores to do.
All in all a good day on the water :-)

JonesySail and BC - we are having some problems with the Naish Mast and synergy boom, the boom slips down as soon as Jaye uphauls - we have tried a few things but none have worked so far. Any suggestions

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
24 Nov 2014 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

presume you are pulling the adjuster/tightner rope on the boom head on 'before' clamping the boom head?

The clamp action should be firm, require a bit of pressure to close, if it feels 'really easy' to clamp its probably too loose.
the boom head clamp ropes will stretch over time and you need to tighten the length just a fraction from time to time.

'unless you have a rdm/skinny mast?' in that case you may need a 'shim' to pad the mast diameter out.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windsurfing Learning Curve" started by Dwbh