Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Windsurfing Learning Curve

Created by Dwbh > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2014
John340
QLD, 3102 posts
1 Apr 2016 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Morgs,

Take your sail with you and rig and tune with the prospective new mast to check fit before you buy. Make note of mast and boom extension settings and replicate when you use for sailing.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
6 Apr 2016 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Had another great Holiday at the Lake

Well there wasn't any wind to speak of over 8 knots - got planing once and in both straps for one run on Stumpy (Fanatic Sting Ray TT 170) with Naish Noa 7.8m the wind came up for a little storm - then had to come in because of the Lightning, and as quick as it came it went.

We, Anita, Jaye and myself had an awesome time with great friends in an awesome location.I had already decided that this week at the lake I was going to learn to gybe.

Day 1 after setting up Anita, Jaye and I headed out in very light wind conditions for a sail, when I realised that Anita was gybing. "how come you can do that" I said, to which she replied "I am just turning around, not doing anything". Well there you go so day two on the water I firstly came out supping on the Pacifico to paddle with her as she sailed. After watching my beautiful wife complete 6 successful gybes I decided to get a sail and sail with her and start my 'Anita, learn to gybe school'. Best thing I could have done - decided that I was going to do 25 successful gybes a day to try and implant some muscle memory. Anita was on her Naish Kailua and happy as, to have it back - I was on the Pacifico - a long hard board to gybe (the harder the better).

My gybing journey began day 2 and Jeffrey came out to join in so we watched a few video's he had found - sorted easy as, sail forward back arm back and sheet in foot across the downwind side (toeside) of the board. Hips towards the centre of the circle look down the boom and we are away - oh and flip the rig. In the non planing conditions I did pretty well firstly on the Pacifico with 4.5m sail. Next days was with the 8.8m Naish GP which I struggled to get set - so became 'Morgan 2 Cams' for the remainder of the adventure.

All good on that board time to bring Stumpy out, Fanatic Sting Ray TT170 (155L) with the 8.8 and see how we go. MMM that turns quicker - fell in a few times but managed to get my 25 successful gybes in and finally feeling it. I am sure that will change in planing conditions but sub planing - think I have got it....

Out of the entire week I did manage to get planing once both feet in straps (no gps - was a storm had to rush out) Stumpy performed pretty well after nose job. That was it for the week for planing - but a blast anyway.

Anita and I enjoyed a couple of nice mornings in perfect conditions supping the Pacifico and Jane's Rio - was lovely. Managed to get Jeff and Jane going on Supping (Stand Up Paddling).

Night we all got together for a debrief of the days events Jeff, Jill, Tammy, Kerry and I gybing practice, (poetry in motion) Max working on his short board skills (watch out Jaye here he comes), Jane - BIG SAIL 6.5m and harness practice coming on nicely. Andy was just trying to get a sail in when he could, wind permitting (he got lots of work done on the computer). Jack and Delmae also were there for a sail - Delmae out on the board sailing at the 'School of Jack' going really well. Everyone seemed to have improved by the time we had to head home. HOW GOOD IS THAT! The improvers getting better and more understanding of this great sport :-)

Jeffrey was doing his usual very helpful self and had all the learners gear out for anyone interested in having a go at windsurfing, even got a few newbies out on the water. There was someone out with some of Jeff's gear every day. Mate I take my hat off to you, because of your generous and helpful nature the improvers group grows every time :-) Even in no wind conditions there was more than five of us on the water most afternoons. Just having fun - who needs high winds to have fun.........

Last two days were days of rest for me as I twisted my ankle badly. Just walking from the bathroom - foot in erosion washout. Foot up ordering Anita around --- that was scary I can tell ya.....lol

Jaye had a go of the Thommen F2 in light wind conditions he was up and planing in around 8 knots of breeze, nice. Gave it a good review managed to clock 18.8 knots in very little wind and said it was comfortable to ride. Sounds good

Our holiday at Lake Cootharaba was great because of the good company of really nice people. We look forward to our next windsurfing adventure with you all again soon.

Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
15 Apr 2016 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Looking like RQ tomorrow - Stumpy all ready to go for a spin

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
16 Apr 2016 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Looking at heading to RQ around 2pm

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
21 Apr 2016 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Arrived at Hervey Bay for a weekend of windsurfing with Andy, Jill, Tammy and Kezza very cool

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
24 Apr 2016 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

At Hervey Bay - Looks like we are heading to Burrum Heads bit later - there is a breeze already

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7965 posts
24 Apr 2016 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
At Hervey Bay - Looks like we are heading to Burrum Heads bit later - there is a breeze already

Lucky bugger! Should be great if you get wind.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
24 Apr 2016 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

You'll have a great time. Looking forward to a PB
Cheers Jeff

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
30 Apr 2016 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Cracked 26 knots Jaye cracked 28

Had a awesome weekend – Headed up to Hervey Bay for the long week end (Anzac Day).

Andy, Jill, Tammy and Kerry – thanks for your hospitality we had a great time.We arrived late Thursday unloaded and it was beers with the crew – nice to catch up. Anita rented a house across the road from Andy and Jill’s – WHAT! :-0 would you believe it, worked out very well we could stagger home after beers. Just like Elanda lol

Friday slow start to the day – Smoko at Andy toy shop. MMM, nice sponge with Jam and Fresh Cream perfect with a coffee. Then played the tourist thing and had a good look around including a drive for lunch at Riverheads – Last time we went to River Heads was about 20 years ago. A few slight changes…. No wind to speak of so no windsurfing today

Saturday – Andy says speed sailing at Burrum Heads, bit nervous but yep up for a go – Anita, Andy and I headed up, the wind was good. Whoa.... there is a familiar face Glynn and Sue were there too very cool. Haven’t seen you guys for a while good to catch up and have a sail. Seems like there has been no NE’s this season. Geoff came out later and we all had a blast – Anita sailed to the other bank and stayed there having a siesta on her board. WELL DONE sailed over and didn’t fall over once. I hit every sand bar on the way with my 50 fin – so walking seemed like a better option. But once over there it was flat as – man I am glad Andy was there as expert tour guide – I wouldn't have had any clue as to where to go. No Photos, chief photographer was siesta’ing on the beach.

Was a good day on the water I set up 8.8m on ‘Stumpy’ Fanatic Stingray 155l with a 50 fin. My new favourite speed sailing board. Made a couple of pb’s nice

Sunday – Wind is up in Hervey Bay but unfortunately the wrong direction so nothing else for it, Andy says its back to Burrum Heads – Anita opted out today as wind was a bit out of her league. We arrived and man everyone was there almost looked like a Boardcrazy v Moreton Bay mob v Gold Coast Speedsters team bash great to see everyone there. Some big guns out Brad and Simon, Glynn and John, Cocky 2 looking very fast on the beach setting up Geoff set up something small and fast, and Dang if it isn’t our old mate Kurt from the Goldy, Hannu was set for speed. There were a few others there great to see. Most had sails in the 5m range. Almost felt like a free race was excellent.

The experts headed out to the outer bank and Andy took us novices out to the Northern Bank/run. Andy, Ross, Jaye and I went out and had a blast, both Jaye and I getting Pb’s nice. I even cracked the 25 knot barrier with a 26.3 knot pb Woo Hoo – I have been chasing for a few months. Next it is gybing – which I might ad, didn’t have to do as it was bank to bank – nice. I had Stumpy with Avanti 6.6m sail and 42.5 BP fin. Was a great opportunity to work on up wind skills – took some work to get back almost straight up wind – made it.

There was like 14 others on the outer banks all looking for pb’s, as Ian said, it was pb fever there on Sunday.

Then it was Monday and time to say our goodbyes and head home. Traffic to Caloundra turn off was good but then it changed took two hours to get home from there, it was expected.

Another great windsurfing holiday/adventure in awesome location with good friends and great company.
Cheers
Morgan
PS: Kind of strange have no repairs to do this time – Stumpy has held together
Doesn't look like any wind so went to the gym instead - might go out for a paddle on the week end - see what happens with a few storms hanging around the car is packed just in case...

See you out there

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
7 May 2016 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Got to keep fitness up whilst there is no wind so gym it is and maybe a paddle tomorrow

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
20 May 2016 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Looking like Viccy point in the morning - Tides are a bit ordinary. High around nine am low at 3ish

Have a good Friday everyone

Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
26 May 2016 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Went to Victoria point for a sail Was an ok day the promised 15 knots didn’t eventuate

Tony, Pat and Brad turned up from the Northside – whoa great to see you guys, fellow improvers. Tony, Mal and Pat all had race boards, Brad had his Superlight wind 154L. Hayden bought Bens HiFly, Jaye took the JP xcite ride 145l for a spin and I Stumpy 155l Fanatic sting ray.

Hayden a very early beginner set up a 5.4 North sail. Last time he went out he couldn’t turn so it was focus on turning – which he did without effort – coming along nicely

Jaye set up the Naish 7.5m sail on the Xcite Ride and was planning 50% of the time, in fact he was the only one planning most of the time. I set up Stumpy with the Naish 8.5m sail planning about 1% of the time – in retrospect should really have taken the Pacifico for a light wind spin – at least might have spent more time on the plane. Probs about 8 – 10 knots of wind, tide was up so plenty of water – out we went.

Spent about 2 hours out trying to get planing but only managed about 30 seconds got front foot in and that was it – got excited there for a bit. Was still nice to get out on the water

Now I know why you should have the right mast for the sail – and all three cams applied. The mast broke right on the middle cam – no top cam couldn’t make it work with that mast. I found some rather large rocks in the middle of where we windsurf – bang, bang goes the fin off I went and CRACK!!! – thought it was the board but it was the mast. Luckily I was close to Shore. Fin box is a bit loose (has been since I got the board) now water dripping out and a hole in the bottom (Stumpy is very brittle). I picked stumpy up for very little – In fact I have spent more on it then it cost me so no complaints – I love the board and will patch her up again to get another couple of rides and maybe move to JP XR 145 litre.

Anita didn’t go in the water and took some photos – the count at one point was 10 on the water – Nice

Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
28 May 2016 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Jaye and I might try and get to Wello this afternoon sometime

Moving house over the next week or so - leave pass might be tough to get lol.....
Already in trouble because I am at work everyday lol - go figure

waricle
WA, 732 posts
28 May 2016 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Moving house!!!
That will be me soon I hope.... Or not?
It will interfere with everything!!,

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
11 Jun 2016 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfing weekend 28/05/2016 Bit late but moving and stuff

Moving house over the next couple of weeks so leave pass to go windsurfing will be hard to get UPDATE: Leave pass was granted packing can wait – today, I am going to try my new JP xcite ride 145l oooh my now go to board and the my smallest board. Man that is sooo small, to think a year ago I was on the Rio Longtail 259L and loving every minute of it.

Decided to set up the Avanti 6.6m sail MISTAKE #1 Jaye decided to set Naish 6m sail MISTAKE #2 LOL….. Anyway seemed like a good idea at the time. Once set up Jaye headed out to the Eastern side of the bank in the hope to find some flat water.I took a bit to get set up I put the 37.5 BP fin on in the hope that no spin out (Yeah it was perfect held on like a ripper – happy days) was a bit nervous about that once set up, here I am heading out with this tiny board that only other people ride and the conditions seemed a bit crazy – in for a penny in for a pound they say. After all over the last couple of years I have had the Pacifico, Fanatic Shark and the Rio Longtail out in these same westerly conditions at Wello so I am still alive – should be good Alan (previous owner) had the foot straps at their outer limits and I decided to leave them there, she’ll be right mate….. First beach start – fully successful and away we go WHOA!!!! we have lift off. Made it about 30m first stack – that is not so bad. Man it was rough – where is the flat water – so made some adjustments to the harness lines shortened them (That’s Better). The run back in I had a go at the front straps and bingo success. Back foot was against the rear strap but not game to even have a go at this point. At this point I was feeling really over powered and not quite in control…. more out haul – so pulled it to its maximum – made a difference. Next couple of runs I was good for the front strap but had difficulty in making the rear but eventually yehaa made it – both feet in and planing NICE……:-) (can see at the end of the video comfortable cruising) only one way left foot forward – did manage to smash my middle toe on one attempt at going for it on the other side though lol.

Happy with my new board seems fast – managed to clock 21 knots out there and put the traditional ding in the board – no idea how I did it – all good something to do amongst moving., UPdate on the ding - looks old - was already there - still needs fixing.

Looks good for a sail on Sunday at Viccy Point in the afternoon

See you out there
Cheers
Morgan

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
11 Jun 2016 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Good video Morgs - congrats on the smaller board.

Am I the only one in our group who hasn't bought a new board this winter??

Im slipping

cheers Jeff

lee1972
QLD, 921 posts
11 Jun 2016 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Ive really enjoyed this documented thread of your windsurfing journey, keep it going

waricle
WA, 732 posts
11 Jun 2016 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Ist rides are a bit awkward but you will be an expert in no time.
you've come a long way in a short time!

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
11 Jun 2016 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waricle said..
Ist rides are a bit awkward but you will be an expert in no time.
you've come a long way in a short time!

Thanks Pete ??

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
11 Jun 2016 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lee1972 said..
Ive really enjoyed this documented thread of your windsurfing journey, keep it going

Thanks for the feedback lee1972 I really enjoy writting the thread. I will keep it up

I have enjoyed it from the beginnings - I was reading back this morning at the early stages how excited I was about taking the 6m sail out for the first time Lol was absolutely scared of that monster.

What a great journey it has been so far, we have met and made friends with some awesome people who I am sure will be life long friends. Windsurfing community is so friendly, helpful and at times entertaining. I feel the journey has just begun.

30 knots next and planning gybes see if the JP XR has it in her - man I don't believe I am now on such a tiny board 145 we will see how I go. I am going to armour plate the nose to take the assault I am going to give it. Lol

Cheers
Morgan

ShailerSailor
QLD, 45 posts
12 Jun 2016 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

I remember that first year Morgs . You've come a long way, and I've enjoy all your updates & videos tracking your learning curve. I think a lot of people have. I know it's certainly reminded me of my journey, except you've done it in less time (I was stubborn and hung on to old gear too long in the early days. Also sailed a lot by myself so didn't benefit from the experience of others. This is one of the best things new sailors can do - ask better sailors for advice! Tip: don't ask for advice just as they're carrying their gear to the water. Best time is when they've finished a session and have a smile on their face. That's when they're full of good advice ).

The XR 145 is very versatile across a wide wind range for guys our weight, and true to Simon's advice when I bought mine a few years back now, it is surprisingly fast. My go-to sail in 15-20 knots is my Norths 7.8m. Great board/sail combo for my weight. I offer this just so you have a reference point as we're approximately the same weight now you've lost some and I've (sadly) put on some! Due to it's relatively high volume I'm often on the plane when others on smaller boards aren't. Yet when the wind picks up, I can stay out there with a little tuning of the boom height, out-haul and harness lines, with no loss of control.

You'll get used to your new board quickly then there'll be no stopping you. Good on ya mate! Hope to see you at VP this arvo. Cheers, Jack.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
18 Jun 2016 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Headed to Thompson’s Beach for a windsurf on Sunday – wind was up and down took the XR out for a spin – should have taken stumpy

Got there about 1.30 and there were plenty of windsurfers out already – I didn’t think the tide was that big. One of the attractions at Thompson’s is that you can generally stand up everywhere – good for the confidence.

Which board – Stumpy or Xcite Ride, I noticed on SeaBreeze that tides weren’t that big so opted for XR with 37.5 fin, Avanti 6.6m sail.

Jaye set up Naish 6m sail on his F2 85L after a while came in for the Naish Nitrix 135L and had a ball. After an hour or so I came in for bigger fin 48 and headed back out – fin was too big was touching a lot

Stats – Uphauling 0, Deep water beach starts 100% and did about 100 of them – felt like a right beginner again seemed to fall off a lot and for no apparent reason, foot straps both 4 short goes, front straps, Gybes 1.

The conditions were a bit choppy. I struggled to get on the plane for some reason but was a good day with plenty of guys and girls out on the water - awesome to see. A few learners amongst it woo hoo

Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
19 Jun 2016 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Heading to Wello about 11 see whats happening

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
25 Jun 2016 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

What a blast it was on Sunday at Wello

Jaye and I headed to Wellington Point for some awesome northerly windsurfing action, in the hope the promised wind would appear and it did…..:-)

We arrived about 10.30 am and there was a couple of guys out and heaps getting ready to go. The wind was mild nothing like what had been promised in the forcasts.

The local boys have rigged 7’s so we decided to do the same. I rigged the 7.8 Naish Noa on Stumpy 155L with 42.5 bp fin and Jaye rigged Avanti 6.6m (falling apart:-( one of our favourites) on Naish Nitrix 135L with 37.5 bp fin. Sounds like a good plan. But as John said – doesn’t matter what you rigged today would have been right for part of it.

I was really under powered for 70% of the session spot on for 25% and grossly overpowered for the remainder. Seemed like everyone was rigging for the forecast. All good spent a good 2 hours sub planning good for those light weights planning past. Still, technique will have helped. Just goes to show, I still have a long way to go with technique as there were some out there my weightish planing most of the time. With the right skills that could have been me.

I wore the helmet today with the go pro mounted to get some different angles, very cool. Lucky that, cause I managed to smack my head with the mast at least once and so did Jaye with his mast thanks buddy lol (in the big winds) All good, stack hat in place but, was worried that smashed gopro but all good. It looks very stylish with the dick hat on under I must say. I might have to start up a windsurfing fashion thread….What do you reckon……

When the big winds arrived - seemed to be like a washing machine wind was coming from all directions (out of my league) Jaye was similar – in fact we sat it out and watched. Great to watch the experts going hammer and tongs in low visibility.

Man the visibility was very poor – I was tempted to have a go but safety first – there were about 10 sailors blasting back and forward on the same track basically so safety

first. .

Anita stayed in the car most of the time and managed to get some awesome shots of the goings on out there.

Cheers
Morgs

CGCY__

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7965 posts
26 Jun 2016 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Looks pretty flat in the camera shots. Nice rig flip with the gybe and I love the stack at the end..

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
1 Jul 2016 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah was pretty good Sue nice and flat in close to the bank - Wello is great like that in NE.

Looks like chores again this week end - one thing is I am catching up after moving house - Have to make a rack for our boards unfortunately no wall I can screw the other rack too. All good just need to make it free standing

I suggested to Anita that we might go for a light wind sail and she laughed at me and said I will be on my own. Oh well..... I can read between the lines.... you mean there is stuff to do still at home dear :-) 'NO COMMENT SAYS AMBASSADOR'

Next week end looks like we are heading to Cotton Tree for Windwanderers event - should be fun

Might make the gym sometime on the week end though.

cheers
Morgan

BSN101
WA, 2282 posts
1 Jul 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome finish to the video! Stylish.

DDunk
QLD, 38 posts
7 Jul 2016 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Nice video as usual Morgs, Stumpy looks great

Thanks for the photo as I don't usually get to see my sail from a distance

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
10 Jul 2016 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Another quiet one - trees aren't even moving here at Cleveland. Board repairs it is then

Have a good day
Cheers
Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Jul 2016 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like early morning BRRRR.......Viccy Point on the week end judging by the tides and wind

Probs only make it one day Sunday

Morgan

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windsurfing Learning Curve" started by Dwbh