Thumbs Up

Heading to Rose Bay Manly after watching the start of the race

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
13 Oct 2016 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Rose Bay Manly

Whoa…. Holy Doooley am I unfit !

Turned out to be a good day – winds were up 20+knots and it was bumpy – some guys out racing and some out bump and jump, having a ball

Jaye came out on his 135 Naish Nitrix, 6m Naish sail and 37.2bp fin – prob should have gone out on the F2 85l. Had a ball – nearly pulled off his first planing gybe.

Me, well I was just trying to stay on the board. Fanatic Stingray 155l , Avante 6.6m sail and 42.5 BP fin. After the first run realised how unfit I really am for windsurfing – forearms started canning almost immediately (need to work out what is good for that).

Footstraps – when I first went out every time I tried for the rear straps 'a catapult I would go' – so decided to go in and move them back to the centre positions. BINGO!….. Every run after, just about every run accept one, got a bit cocky and missed SPLASH. I was back in the straps and feeling pretty good – so much more secure – like a security blanket really. Needless to say, after my last Wello adventure I wasn’t venturing out too far. Lets put it down to confidence building.

Another thing I did, which usually I am a bit slack with, was stop and make adjustments to make it betterer. I moved the Harness lines toward the front as they were pulling that way and the boom a few times til it felt comfortable and I stopped popping out on the swell. Man that is annoying coming out of the harness lines travelling in excess of 20+knots in nearly a metre swell – I shortened them and moved the boom up.

Stats for the session – Waterstart/deep water beach starts – 100%, Uphauling – 0, Planing most of the time, GPS speed – 22.9 Knots, Gybes – 0 (too scary), Tacks – 0 (too scary), Foot straps – 85%, in Harness – 95%, Stacks – yep :-), Fun – yep

One thing I realised afterwards, was that I actually could have had a smaller board – there was enough wind to waterstart/deep water beach start every time. I didn’t uphaul once, stumpy, whilst being a cracker board, gets a bit flighty in those conditions.

See you on the water
HooRoo
Morgs

John340
QLD, 3094 posts
13 Oct 2016 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

^^ Good write up Morgan and brilliant photos Anita. You and Jay looked really good out there. Good call on the rear footstrap and the possibility of a smaller board. You probably could have been on the Naish Nitro 137.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Not much wind anywhere - going to head to Golden Beach for a play today.
Looks like there could be a breeze up there - taking the sups

Thanks for all the birthday messages - was a good day

Have a good one
See you out there

Morgan

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
20 Oct 2016 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Bonus sail at Golden Beach
First day on a board in September 2013 at Golden Beach – Lesson with Colin

Saturday was birthday with all the team and Sunday we went to Golden Beach (Saffron couldn’t make it too busy setting up her new life – you go girl)

Sunday we headed to Golden Beach with some boards (sup) and Ben bought his Jet Ski (Morg’s personal rescue crew), I packed 2 sup boards and just in case threw JP 145 in – didn’t end up using it.

Ben and I went up and put the Jet Ski in the water and went straight out over the bar and out for a look see…… that was fun. Came in for a paddle to see if there was any wind – he had Charlette and Braedyn on board trainee rescue crew lol.

Golden Beach would have to be one of my favourite locations to go windsurfing – with it’s flat water, sand banks to pull up on for a rest and nice people who windsurf there.. Bonus - there was some wind afterall, so what is a man to do – 8.8 Naish Grand Prix and the Pacifico with 37.5bp fin. Seemed to work for the day and conditions, first time I have ever made it to the foot straps on the Pacifico (different experience). I made 25 adjustments before getting it right and had a reasonable ride. Garmin says 16.9 knots at the time but wouldn’t upload to Ka72 – I tried a new app but mustn’t record a fit file.

Mast foot all the way forward – moved it 3 times and ended up about half way (only moved it a cm at a time), Harness pulling to the back hand – moved it 3 times before it was right (cm at a time), Harness lines were too short so lengthened them (only once), Boom was ok height. And BINGO into the straps I went in the gusts. I must say 'the pacifico is a lot of board out of the water in front. I left stumpy at home as I didn’t think there was going to be any wind. Had a fun day for sure – there were 6 to 8 of us out at the best of it

mmm.... Wello could be an option on Saturday

See you out there

HooRoo
Morgs

a few pics from the day

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
20 Oct 2016 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Rose Bay Manly

Whoa…. Holy Doooley am I unfit !

Turned out to be a good day – winds were up 20+knots and it was bumpy – some guys out racing and some out bump and jump, having a ball

Jaye came out on his 135 Naish Nitrix, 6m Naish sail and 37.2bp fin – prob should have gone out on the F2 85l. Had a ball – nearly pulled off his first planing gybe.

Me, well I was just trying to stay on the board. Fanatic Stingray 155l , Avante 6.6m sail and 42.5 BP fin. After the first run realised how unfit I really am for windsurfing – forearms started canning almost immediately (need to work out what is good for that).

Footstraps – when I first went out every time I tried for the rear straps 'a catapult I would go' – so decided to go in and move them back to the centre positions. BINGO!….. Every run after, just about every run accept one, got a bit cocky and missed SPLASH. I was back in the straps and feeling pretty good – so much more secure – like a security blanket really. Needless to say, after my last Wello adventure I wasn’t venturing out too far. Lets put it down to confidence building.

Another thing I did, which usually I am a bit slack with, was stop and make adjustments to make it betterer. I moved the Harness lines toward the front as they were pulling that way and the boom a few times til it felt comfortable and I stopped popping out on the swell. Man that is annoying coming out of the harness lines travelling in excess of 20+knots in nearly a metre swell – I shortened them and moved the boom up.

Stats for the session – Waterstart/deep water beach starts – 100%, Uphauling – 0, Planing most of the time, GPS speed – 22.9 Knots, Gybes – 0 (too scary), Tacks – 0 (too scary), Foot straps – 85%, in Harness – 95%, Stacks – yep :-), Fun – yep

One thing I realised afterwards, was that I actually could have had a smaller board – there was enough wind to waterstart/deep water beach start every time. I didn’t uphaul once, stumpy, whilst being a cracker board, gets a bit flighty in those conditions.

See you on the water
HooRoo
Morgs

Going great Morgs! Looks like challenging conditions up there. I'm hoping to get back into it in a week or so after 6 months off.. ..I'll be going out underpowered in flatwater to build fitness and test out the ankle.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
20 Oct 2016 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Golden beach looks more manageable! Looks great. love all the photos.It's interesting to see where others sail.

John340
QLD, 3094 posts
20 Oct 2016 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..

Mast foot all the way forward – moved it 3 times and ended up about half way (only moved it a cm at a time), Harness pulling to the back hand – moved it 3 times before it was right (cm at a time), Harness lines were too short so lengthened them (only once), Boom was ok height. And BINGO into the straps I went in the gusts. I must say 'the pacifico is a lot of board out of the water in front. I left stumpy at home as I didn’t think there was going to be any wind. Had a fun day for sure – there were 6 to 8 of us out at the best of it

Morgan,
Nothing like tuning your gear! The results look great.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
22 Oct 2016 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear you are getting back in to it Sue - just take it easy on that ankle

And Thanks John - yeah it all went pretty well after the adjustments.

Looking like Wello today for Jaye, Mal and I looking for some flat water for the JP xcite ride 145 - moved the rear straps in after consultation with Simon at BC - Stumpy is going into semi retirement, ready for Anita

See you out there
HooRoo
Morgs

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
28 Oct 2016 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Wow! What a thread! I think it's the first thread I have ever favorited so I can read the whole thing in stages..

100kg kitesurfer looking to make the change to windsurfing. I've been offered a beginner friendly board with 180L in it. Sound good, or should I go higher/lower? Really want something that is easy enough for beginners, but not something I will grow out of in a months time.

Looking forward to meeting you all around the traps

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
28 Oct 2016 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Good to hear you are getting back in to it Sue - just take it easy on that ankle

And Thanks John - yeah it all went pretty well after the adjustments.

Looking like Wello today for Jaye, Mal and I looking for some flat water for the JP xcite ride 145 - moved the rear straps in after consultation with Simon at BC - Stumpy is going into semi retirement, ready for Anita

See you out there
HooRoo
Morgs

Thanks Morgs..1st sail yesterday. Looking forward to building my fitness and skills to back where they were.

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
28 Oct 2016 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mrknownothing said..
Wow! What a thread! I think it's the first thread I have ever favorited so I can read the whole thing in stages..

100kg kitesurfer looking to make the change to windsurfing. I've been offered a beginner friendly board with 180L in it. Sound good, or should I go higher/lower? Really want something that is easy enough for beginners, but not something I will grow out of in a months time.

Ok Scratch that. The 180l Explorer was sold this morning.

But in other good news. Just got of the phone to Tony, and will be picking up his Go 170L through the week.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
28 Oct 2016 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mrknownothing said..

Mrknownothing said..

But in other good news. Just got of the phone to Tony, and will be picking up his Go 170L through the week.

Hi Mr Knownothing

Thanks for your message and welcome to windsurfing the best sport in the world - once you get the board going - there really is no feeling like it....
100Kg and 170L I would question that, as I tried the Naish 180, (I was 107kg at the time) that my son Ben bought and couldn't ride it for two years - I believe if I had bought that board initially I wouldn't be windsurfing now

Up to you what you get but a sup/sailor with a centre board would be ideal, which will double up as a light wind option when you get better and buy a smaller board. One thing we have learned is you will be purchasing at one other board in time. I still have the Pacifico which was the board I learnt on right back when and a bonus no wind.... I can go for a sup

Looking forward to catching you on the water with whatever board you get - I usually put where I am going on this thread or my website windsurfinglearningcurve.com - you are more than welcome to join in the fun.

Looking a bit like Wello on Sunday at this stage - unless we head to Golden Beach not quiet decided yet.

Cheers
Morgs

Ps: last week's story coming with pics - computer malfunction this week

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
28 Oct 2016 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Mrknownothing said..

Mrknownothing said..

But in other good news. Just got of the phone to Tony, and will be picking up his Go 170L through the week. www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_big.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_big.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_cool.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_cool.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_cool.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_cool.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_tongue.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_tongue.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_tongue.gifhttps://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forums/icon_smile_tongue.gif' />

Hi Mr Knownothing

Thanks for your message and welcome to windsurfing the best sport in the world - once you get the board going - there really is no feeling like it....
100Kg and 170L I would question that, as I tried the Naish 180, (I was 107kg at the time) that my son Ben bought and couldn't ride it for two years - I believe if I had bought that board initially I wouldn't be windsurfing now

Up to you what you get but a sup/sailor with a centre board would be ideal, which will double up as a light wind option when you get better and buy a smaller board. One thing we have learned is you will be purchasing at one other board in time. I still have the Pacifico which was the board I learnt on right back when and a bonus no wind.... I can go for a sup

Looking forward to catching you on the water with whatever board you get - I usually put where I am going on this thread or my website windsurfinglearningcurve.com - you are more than welcome to join in the fun.

Looking a bit like Wello on Sunday at this stage - unless we head to Golden Beach not quiet decided yet.

Cheers
Morgs

Ps: last week's story coming with pics - computer malfunction this week

Hey Morgs!

Ekk! I am (probably stupidly) going to risk the board. I'm slowly dropping weight and think I should be at about 90kg by Christmas. * I give you permission to rub it in when I whinge about the board being to small.

Did you have many lessons Morgs?

waricle
WA, 732 posts
28 Oct 2016 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Really looking forward to sailing with my new neighbours when I get back, till then I'll just have to read the threads, look at the weather reports and peruse the for sale ads..........

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
28 Oct 2016 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

@mrknownothing
I see in profile Redcliff?
Where are you planing to do your sailing?

You are welcome to come and sail with our little group of keen beginner/improvers at Sandstone point/Bribie
We announce our adventures in the sandstone Seabreezer thread here. Message me you number and I'll put you on txt notification list

what is you availability for sailing times - weekends - midweek??

I've got some bigger gear to get you over the hump if 170l seems a bit challenging at first

Can I suggest the RQ learner lessons on Saturday mornings as a get you going gig - worth every effort to get there

Anyhow welcome - we are a good group and would be keen to see you progress

Cheers Jeff

I

waricle
WA, 732 posts
28 Oct 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

I would recommend you stay right away from the sandstone crowd, they will only lead you away fom the joys of lawnmowing and plunge you into a new and exciting world of heady and distracted joy known as windsurfing.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
29 Oct 2016 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

We resemble that comment Peter .......

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
29 Oct 2016 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
@mrknownothing
I see in profile Redcliff?
Where are you planing to do your sailing?

You are welcome to come and sail with our little group of keen beginner/improvers at Sandstone point/Bribie
We announce our adventures in the sandstone Seabreezer thread here. Message me you number and I'll put you on txt notification list

what is you availability for sailing times - weekends - midweek??

I've got some bigger gear to get you over the hump if 170l seems a bit challenging at first

Can I suggest the RQ learner lessons on Saturday mornings as a get you going gig - worth every effort to get there

Anyhow welcome - we are a good group and would be keen to see you progress

Cheers Jeff

I

Thanks for the offer Jeff. Very Kind of you :)

Definitely keen on joining you guys at Sandstone. End result would hopefully be comfortably sailing at queens/suttons/scotts, and then into the waves.

I'm pretty lucky at the moment in that I can get out there whenever it is windy, not sure how long that is going to last though.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
29 Oct 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Sail as much as you can, never make an excuse to not sail. Even better still, sail with mates that will ridicule you if you don't sail. Jeff has the ultimate starter board that we have all begun our windsurfing experience on, the 180L Start, it's as ugly as sin but you will be sailing straight away, want more, and won't be tempted to go home and take up knitting. Flip over to the Sandstone thread if you need to find out more from Jeff and when we're next sailing so we don't hijack this thread showing Morg's shenanigans. Morgs is right, the 170L will be a challenge in the short term but will be fantastic in a few weeks.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
4 Nov 2016 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

What good windsurf session at Wello

Sunday headed to Wellington Point out from Brisbane for a windsurf – I have been windsurfing for 3 years now and must be a slow learner, because I have had some really bad runs this season. Last 4 to be exact – annoying as, I seemed to finish last season on a bit of a high – smaller board Fanatic Stingray 155L, named ‘Stumpy’ because I cut the nose off, (previous year I started the season on the famous Rio Long Tail 259L – best learner board on the planet for someone with some weight). I guess I have progressed when you take a hundred litres out of the equation. I also started last year at 108Kilos this year at 100 nice.

It is the end of October and the season has begun with some pretty unpleasant runs – which I must say, has dented my confidence in a big way. Ranging from falling off in 25 to 30knot gusts off Wello and struggled for nearly an hour to get back, smashed and broken. It was rough, the wind was going the wrong way and I know I shouldn’t have gone on that side of the bank, but it was smoother. I ended up like a kilometer from shore couldn’t touch drifting away from land (important note – did make it back – a fellow windsurfer came to see if I was ok) NOTE to self and all learners – don’t go out in off shore breeze.

The other times I just couldn’t get planning, last week end I tried a smaller board JP xcite ride 145L and crashed and burned – luckily not so far from land and the breeze was on shore so once I realized I wasn’t getting back on the board I floated to land and swapped it for Stumpy that was better. Why such a difference between the boards, 10 litres and 100mm, I recon it is the 100mm in width that is the challenge.

Last Sunday 30th of October 2016 wow how time flies – I rigged Stumpy with 42.5 bp fin (I thought it maybe a bit small, but why not should get some speed) Naish Grand Prix 8.8m sail. I was a touch concerned I might spin out but no – all good – not even slightly even when I was hauling up wind. After a few minor adjustments in the tuning department (thanks Tristan for the tips) it was bang on – what did that mean --------------------> YES I WAS PLANNING. Amazingly enough, whilst others weren’t – how cool is that….. I think I had forgot the one thing that Jeffrey and I talk about often, we need to rig big. Everyone I asked were rigging 7’s.

I had a blast sailing out from Wello in the NNE – the swell had come up a bit with the wind and tide, and remembered what Cameron once said if you are struggling to get on the plan ride down the face of the swell and yep that did the trick. I used to do that when going out from RQ beach – only chop at Victoria Point no swell to accelerate on. Sometimes I had to roll down 2 or 3 rollers to get the pace to start planning but it was a lot of fun. Ended up with a 2 sec 21.6knots which is fine by me, even get a smiley face for that

Great sailing with Tristan and there were a couple of guys I haven’t seen before out having a bit of fun. Tristan spotted Clive who must of come over from the other side – I did see a lone sailor out there – Hi Clive.

All in all a great day on the water – that is what windsurfing is all about – good for the mind body and soul

Have fun out there
HooRoo
Morgs

Computer is fixed so a couple of photos – have to encourage the boss to get out of the car for photo time – or hang out the window- not so clear through the windscreen

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
4 Nov 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Wahoo Morgs
Always admired your ability to ride a smaller fin than me

cheers jeff

evilC
QLD, 673 posts
4 Nov 2016 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Morgs, glad you had a good day. I reckon you will really enjoy this summer

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
5 Nov 2016 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Looking like Wello this after lunch

evilC
QLD, 673 posts
5 Nov 2016 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Bayside GPS at Wynnum this arvo.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
6 Nov 2016 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Was a good Sail yesterday at Wello - story to come Anita got some great photos thought I would put a couple up

More photos and Video's later in the week
HooRoo
Morgs

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
6 Nov 2016 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Top shots! How strong? It looks pretty choppy?

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
13 Nov 2016 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Anita took some great shots - see above for more

Overpowered Sesh at Wello Saturday 5th Nov 2016

Yep sure ended up being overpowered - but a great session wind probs ended up around 20 to 25knots and it was a bit rough Sue - just had to keep the power off a bit and hang on - those conditions can be a bit of fun sometimes.....

I decided to rig Stumpy (fanatic sting ray 155l) for the day, old faithful, with 7.8m Naish Noa, black project 42.5, the wind was 18 - 20 and picked up at the end - was perfect early in the sesh.

Armed with my canmore (gps device) and Go Pro off I went - it looked a bit rough but what the hell. Ella was packing up as we arrived and said it was good - Mal was coming in as I was heading out and said it was good, at bit bumpy but good.

Beach start from thigh deep water and away we go, a couple of wobbles point down and we are on the plane - that is what we are talking about. Front foot in straight away - back straps are giving me a little trouble this season - I did move them in a couple of sessions before to make it easier to get into. That worked and I was in - had to turn up wind to slow down and get my balance bang we are in and away. I do love the acceleration you get once in both straps, it is exhilarating - plus you can relax a bit and just go for a ride. Best thing I did was to move the straps in on Stumpy - I did like them on the outboard position not as hard on my ankles.

I blasted out half a kilometre - being a bit cautious these days - didn't even attemp a gybe or tack Tooooooooooooooooo rough just dropped in the water and then it was attempt to up haul which didn't go so well but plenty of wind means water start (good idea) water started easy enough and away we went heading back. Nice.....:-) Ran out of breath so had to have a puff so had to fix that.

Back out again and it was great, deep water beach start straight up onto the plane in the harness front foot done in a matter of seconds, settle in then back strap for lift off. The Noa was a bit of a hand full but comfortable enough. Water starts became more of a challenge as the session went on and wind picked up. There were a couple of times I just couldn't get the sail right in the water, wrong side - wrong way around, and one time ended up with the mast strait down. All due to the conditions, a bit much wind and very rough. I was out there for an hour and a half before it became too much to handle with the 7.8 smiles all round.

It was very crowded with a lot of windsurfers and a lot of Kite boarders, you can see in the photos, it was great to see so many out on the water having a blast.

Stats: Harness - 99%, front straps - 99%, back straps - 90% (I missed them on one completely overpowered run in), planning - most of the time, gybes - 0, tacks - 0, Up haul 30%, water start 70% and ended up with 23.8knots woohoo happy days

There is a video coming

All in all a great session at Wellington Point

Heading to Golden Beach today with the Wind Wanderers for a bit of fun

HooRoo
Morgs

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Nov 2016 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Some Photos of Wind Wanderers get together at Golden Beach - a good time had by everyone

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
14 Nov 2016 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

That looks like a good spot.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windsurfing Learning Curve" started by Dwbh