Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Windsurfing Learning Curve

Created by Dwbh > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2014
Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
19 Nov 2016 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Wind Wanderers Day at Golden Beach

Peter did a great job – everyone had a good time —– bonus some wind too.

There was a breeze when we arrived, I set up my 8.8m Naish Grand Prix on the Pacifico – just about to head out and Peter puts lunch on – so what could I do…..a delicious burger it was :-)

After we had a bit to eat I headed out on the Pacifico 200 litres Wind Sup and was blasting away from the get go, with both feet in straps – clocked 18 knots on her – didn’t think she had it. Made a few adjustments and bingo all good – Time to get Stumpy (Fanatic StingRay 155L with the nose cut off) on which I clocked 23 knots.

Swapped boards and straight onto the plane and in both front and back straps Woo Hoo – Blasting across the flat water at Golden Beach. First couple of runs stacked for some reason – still not sure why (may have been too close to sand bank and touched) Ouch!!!!! that hurt. But that was it only stacks for the day as I decided really bad idea and not to do it again. I ended up over powered with the 8.8 but in between times had an absolute blast.

Stats – Harness – sorted, Foot Straps – 99% whilst planning, water starts – 75% (weird while there seemed to be plenty of wind, sometimes not enough to water start 8.8 too big anyway), Uphauling – 25%, Deep water beach starts a bit of a challenge with tide and wind but doable, all in all a successful fun day had by all. I must say Golden Beach would have to be my favourite windsurfing location – plenty of room to rig, taps to wash gear, flat water, good company, flat water No video – still working out how to use the new editing program – Overpowered, Crowded day at Wello still coming, plus work got in the way a bit. But should be finished this week.

See you out there
HooRoo
Morgs

MarkSSC
QLD, 635 posts
19 Nov 2016 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

You're making it look too easy now! Great pics.

ShailerSailor
QLD, 45 posts
20 Nov 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

You're right Morgs. It's a great flat water spot and you can get some good speed runs close to the bank on the far side. Good to see the WW crew and grateful to Brad who swam out to help me avoid the rock wall (...outgoing tide was surprisingly strong!). Love the way sailors look out for each other (thanks again Brad). Great photos as usual Anita

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
8 Dec 2016 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

A quick sail Saturday afternoon at Wello

Worked in the morning - home for a quick lunch then off to Wellington Point to have a little sail. Arrived around 3.10pm and plenty of people on the water. Even Pete was there catching some of the action on the water with the F2 Thommen and a slalom board. Nice to catch up Pete

Wind was like 18 to 20 knots so 7.8m Naish Noa sail is the go 42.5 black project fin with old Stumpy (Fanatic StingRay) favourite board atm. Jaye set up the 6.6m Avanti for the run. Set up and headed out the tide was going out and the bank was out of the water - so hoping for some flat water - didn't look too flat.

I attempted to get going 4 times but couldn't get into harness (old kite harness I like it because hook is low) shirt and flap behind bar getting in the way. Sorted that to a point and away we go - straight onto the plane and front straps AWESOME back straps no problems (they are easy set in - will move them back out at Christmas at Lake Cootharaba), nice. Mmm not so flat, was very bumpy but great to be on the water - it has been 3 weeks since I have been out. Working 7 days currently so hard to get onto the water.

Man I was happy that I was up and away - water starting was a no show as sail too big and my sailing fitness is shot to peices - one run out and I was pooped, out of breath, huffing and puffing, so just up hauled was easy and quick. Did get one water start going but Jaye had come out to see if I was ok (thanks heaps buddy - really appreciate it) I had to bail nearly ran into him lol. He hung around til I got going - how cool is that :-). I was knackered for sure. I don't believe my sailing fitness is so shot - will have to go harder at the gym with specific exercises to enhance my general fitness.

I had some 5 runs out and back then a storm loomed with plenty of lightning so had to bail - not the place to be in a electical storm.

Tammy came and checked out Wellington Point for a bit and caught up with a few of the guys.

it was great to see everyone down there and say hi and have a sail.
See you out there
Cheers
Morgs

waricle
WA, 732 posts
8 Dec 2016 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics!

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
10 Dec 2016 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

A little video from last month that I haven't got to post - overpowered Wello Northerly

It was a popular day for all water sport enthusiasts - People everywhere - great to see

Seems like I may be able to windsurf a bit these days again WooHoo - big sails helps. I had my 7.8 Naish Noa - maybe should have had 6.6 Avanti but Jaye had it.

Have solved that situation and after saving for like a year scored a Severne 7m Turbo GT from Simon at BoardCrazy and you know what else I was privileged enough to have a squiz at the new Rio Longtail maaaaaaan what a nice looking board!!!! Only one that I could see, so first in first served. The best beginners board on the planet for someone with a little bit of weight to get started on - I can vouch for it. I would have saved 12 months if I started with the LongTail.

Have fun out there
HooRoo
Morgs

John340
QLD, 3094 posts
11 Dec 2016 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Morgs, it was challenging conditions on the 7.8 that day. Well done

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
23 Dec 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks John

Lake Cootharaba just north of Noosa is a great place to go to get on the water and learn to windsurf.

Heading up there Christmas eve for a couple of weeks pure windsurfing - hopefully there will be enough wind to get this gybe thing sorted.

Time to dust off the JP excite ride and tame it.

Camping or should I say glamping - so looking forward to it - feet up because I am wasted from windsurfing with a couple of nice reds in Morgan's Bar and Grill - bringing the sign this time.

A couple of things to look at is gybing and 30 knots but mainly just have fun on the water with our mates from all over who make the pilgrimage to the Lake at Christmas looking forward to catching with everyone of you for sure.

We would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a safe fun holiday

Cheers
Morgs, Anita and Jaye

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
23 Dec 2016 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to the Morgan clan arriving.

Plenty of wind waiting for you morgs.
8 of us windsurfers on the water yesterday - the wind won!!!!

Still blowing this morning

Looking forward to spending time debriefing in Morgs bar"n"grill

Chets Jeff

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
23 Dec 2016 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Will be up from 29 Dec for about 4 days.

Don't use up all the wind.

Merry Christmas to all.

Mal

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
25 Dec 2016 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Merry Christmas to everyone hope there is some wind around for us all.

Had a little sail at Elanda Point yesterday on the Pacifico with Naish 8.8 Grand Prix was very pleasant start for the holidays. Clocked around 11.5 knots

Even managed some gybes woohoo hopefully I can get them together with a little more speed

Jeffry said have to put a photo up of Morgan's Bar and Grill - all welcome.

Have a great one
HooRoo
Morgs

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
28 Dec 2016 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

First couple of days have been pretty light a great opportunity to get out and practice light wind gybing all good but not so when the wind builds.

First couple of days I took the Pacifico out, now named P&O cruise liner by the Cootharaba crew, with the 8.8m Naish Grand Prix.

Anita spent some time on the water on the Naish Kailua 180, Monday and was looking good. Bit sore now she said not used to it - more time on the water we say.

Tuesday was the best wind for the holiday so far - probs around 15 knots however it was very up and down so hard work.

Gybing didn't work out too well in quicker conditions yesterday hooked up the GPS device and clocked 22.7 knots at one stage - happy with that but it was hard going with huge holes in the lake with no wind.

For my progress happy I got going in light gusty conditions with Stumpy the Fanatic Stingray cut off 155L or should say 152L - probs lost a couple of litres.

Water starts in the gusts where good but had to uphaul in the lulls. Gybes - out of control lol, Harness and foot straps good as gold.Moved the footstraps out on Stumpy - see how we go with them back out - keen to have a go as I remember it was a good ride with the straps out.

After 4 days on the water feeling a little trashed - but will head out this afternoon for a run - going to take both boards out Stumpy and the JP xcite ride 145 and take her for a spin.The breeze has turned to a southeasterly and seems more stable today - hoping for a ripper today.

Here are a couple of photographs from yesterday thanks to Anita

Cheers
Morgs

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
31 Dec 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Another Great Day @ Lake Cootharaba

Everything just worked – set out with Stumpy – it didn’t look like much wind but was plenty as it turned out – in fact it was perfect for he 8.8m Naish Grand Prix and BP 42.5 fin. I moved the rear straps to the out board position again, after not being able to get to them without stacking for a while. It was perfect straight onto the plane and into the straps both front and back and smashed out a 23.8 Knots WooHoo.

After a few runs I decided it was time to unleash the JP so headed in and set it up with a BP type R 45 fin I was boarder line over powered with the 8.8 but pulled more out haul on and went for it.

Meanwhile Jaye had come in and grabbed the new – yes brand new Severne Turbo Gt 7.0 to have on his JP free wave board. We had a blast drag racing each other and YEAH! he couldn’t catch me – very cool. Suffice to say the JP behaved itself for me and I had a blast – crikey 25.1 knots fun.

Happy with the JP – I know I should have tried a couple of gybes but one thing at a time learn the board first then back to working out how to gybe. I just went to where I could still touch and water started each time. That worked a treat.

Anita took a couple of photos

HooRoo
Morgs

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
1 Jan 2017 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Another Great Day @ Lake Cootharaba

Everything just worked – set out with Stumpy – it didn’t look like much wind but was plenty as it turned out – in fact it was perfect for he 8.8m Naish Grand Prix and BP 42.5 fin. I moved the rear straps to the out board position again, after not being able to get to them without stacking for a while. It was perfect straight onto the plane and into the straps both front and back and smashed out a 23.8 Knots WooHoo.

After a few runs I decided it was time to unleash the JP so headed in and set it up with a BP type R 45 fin I was boarder line over powered with the 8.8 but pulled more out haul on and went for it.

Meanwhile Jaye had come in and grabbed the new – yes brand new Severne Turbo Gt 7.0 to have on his JP free wave board. We had a blast drag racing each other and YEAH! he couldn’t catch me – very cool. Suffice to say the JP behaved itself for me and I had a blast – crikey 25.1 knots fun.

Happy with the JP – I know I should have tried a couple of gybes but one thing at a time learn the board first then back to working out how to gybe. I just went to where I could still touch and water started each time. That worked a treat.

Anita took a couple of photos

HooRoo
Morgs

Anyway to get a larger version of the pics? Looks windy. You're both going great!

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
2 Jan 2017 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

3 great days at the lake. Plenty of wind each day. Back home now - unpacking, clean up etc

I couldn't have sailed again today in any case - look at the hands...

DDunk
QLD, 38 posts
3 Jan 2017 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Morgs
Looking to come up today but the weather looks rubbish down here

How is it up there?

Are there many still at the lake?

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
3 Jan 2017 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DDunk said...
Hey Morgs
Looking to come up today but the weather looks rubbish down here

How is it up there?

Are there many still at the lake?

Going back up this evening. Looking for 3 good days of sailing.
Plenty of company at the lake

Cheers jeff

DDunk
QLD, 38 posts
3 Jan 2017 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Jeff, see you there

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
5 Jan 2017 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Whoa! carnage here last couple of days 3 Ambulances in 2 DAYS

Nasty Fin Gash first to a newby - stitches at Nambour Hospital - Ella to the Resque - Awesome job there

Yesterday Wed 4th, Bullet took a good man down with an extremely bad fall - broken leg - still in hospital with multiple fractures another experienced windsurfer down with massive bruising to the hip/leg waiting to be released.

Hope everyone else is good

Cheers
Morgs

waricle
WA, 732 posts
5 Jan 2017 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Stay safe you guys

lungs
QLD, 492 posts
5 Jan 2017 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Just a thought, but did anyone notice all the crab pot floats along the front. the floats were hard to see, especially in the rain squalls, same colour as the foam, they seemed to pop up out of no where. could it be possible that the ropes were hit, that could cause a big wipe out.
get well soon guys

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
5 Jan 2017 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Will keep an eye out for them thanks lungs

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7960 posts
5 Jan 2017 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dwbh said..
Whoa! carnage here last couple of days 3 Ambulances in 2 DAYS

Nasty Fin Gash first to a newby - stitches at Nambour Hospital - Ella to the Resque - Awesome job there

Yesterday Wed 4th, Bullet took a good man down with an extremely bad fall - broken leg - still in hospital with multiple fractures another experienced windsurfer down with massive bruising to the hip/leg waiting to be released.

Hope everyone else is good

Cheers
Morgs

What was the wind/ conditions like?

John340
QLD, 3094 posts
5 Jan 2017 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

MalJ said..
3 great days at the lake. Plenty of wind each day. Back home now - unpacking, clean up etc

I couldn't have sailed again today in any case - look at the hands...

Mal, I've been using these gloves for the last 9 months. They are brilliant, no blisters. They are so comfortable, I forget I have them on. I got them at BCF for $35. They are currently on special for $26. Check out the following URL

www.bcf.com.au/p/sunprotection-australia-unisex-sports-50-gloves-black-l/107702.html

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
5 Jan 2017 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

8 to 25 knots Sue but some severe bullets

dwade
QLD, 26 posts
7 Jan 2017 5:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone up at the lake for your care and practical support for me and my family who had to pack up when I was in hospital. I went to theatre yesterday afternoon and now have plates and screws holding the lower half of my right knee together. Non-weightbearing for 6-8 weeks, crutches for 3 months, and they are saying 12 or more months before I can resuming activity like windsurfing

ballast
QLD, 500 posts
7 Jan 2017 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

Very sorry to hear that mate.
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

MalJ
QLD, 189 posts
7 Jan 2017 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Best wishes and get well soon.

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
7 Jan 2017 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update Denton - there were a lot of us concerned.

Enjoyed blasting at the lake with you the other day - looking forward to sailing with you next January up - keep us posted

We hope for a speedy recovery
Cheers
Morgan and family

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
13 Jan 2017 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

We have just returned from another fantastic windsurfing holiday with great friends at Lake Cootharaba just north of Noosa on the Sunshine Coast.

Two awesome weeks camping and windsurfing - Check it out even got a PB 27 knots how good is that I was chasing Scotty and Jaye - first year ever where I was able to chase people with some chance of keeping up - it was awesome fun.

Mal and I lamented that a year ago we couldn't do that - even drag racing kinda each other at speed - AMAZING! I think we might actually be able to consider ourselves windsurfers now Mal :-) Now we are blasting across the lake at 20+ knots hot on each others tail - man it was only a short time ago it was who fell off the least got there first.

Mal and I learnt this great sport together out from Kite beach 3 years ago neither of us could make 100ft without coming off, floundering around in the rough conditions there trying to uphaul. Look at us now

Jaye started around the same time as Mal but being a young person 15yo when he started - he picked it up in a season virtually. Great to watch him blasting with all the good guys out there on the lake.I didn't get any video the only one day I took the go pro it was flat as a tack...................The lake was the lake and some days were gusting to 25 knots and some just 10 to 12 - still had awesome fun with friends.

I was riding Stumpy (fanatic sting ray tt170 155L) with 42.5bp fin, most of the time - I could hang off her as much as I wanted and wouldn't let go even hauling upwind both ways but, JP xcite ride 145L was letting go on the upwind southern run every time - no idea why. Apart from that I didn't really notice any significant difference between the boards. Clocked just over 25 knots on JP ('the slider') Tried 2 fins 45 BP type r and the 48 free ride that came with the board with the same results 'spin out'. Must be the rider maybe - doesn't do it on Stumpy - go figure???

Stats- new pb 27knots, water starts 90% only missed when not enough wind - uphauled no time to wait around for a gust, Harness all good, Planning - even managed to get Stumpy on the plane in light winds once or twice (happy days) must be finally working out a bit of technique.

If you are learning to windsurf don't give up - it is worth persevering with as once planning and blasting along there is literally no other feeling like it............. and a massive bonus it will keep you fit, healthy and help fight weight gain. You can't get much better than that :-)

A few photos here
HooRoo
Morgs

Sue - Drew and someone

Morgs

Mal and Morgan having fun blasting together across the lake - who would have thought

Morgs on Stumpy

Whoa winds up

Jaye heading out on his new favourite board - thanks Simon

JP xcite ride works to a point nickname 'Slider'

Coming in HOT......

Jaye and I finally having a blast across the lake together - we crossed the lake side by side

JP

Andy smashing it out there

Scotty and Jill looking good with matching sails - Mother and son how cool is that stuff Jill - we can almost keep up with them these days

Jaye, Jill and I think Denton

Scotty and Andy cruising together

Gooooo Scotty :-)

Kerry and Scotty

Andy and Jaye cruising across the lake looking good guys

Andy, Jill, Kerry, Chris and Scotty

Gooooo Ella and Chris cruising

Morgs and 'Stumpy' getting things going

Woo Hoo

Looking the part Jaye with my new sail - or should I say his new sail lol

Last night a fitting scene

Ben's HiFly

Morgan's Bar and Grill Closed til Easter

Thanks everyone - the holiday wouldn't be the holiday without the windsurfers - at times there were upwards of 20 sailors on the water. It is the great people who come to Elanda that makes this a fantastic place to be.......................:-)

Can't wait til Easter

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windsurfing Learning Curve" started by Dwbh