2014 NP RSR EVO6

Created by izaak > 9 months ago, 22 Oct 2013
izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Feb 2014 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said...
1 kg is a lot. Have they used different materials?
PS I wouldn't let my dad rig my sails

They have eliminated all batten pockets.plus a few other weight loss in areas not needed. In Previous years the batten pockets were sewed on one side. Now it's the sail panels overlapping now to make the pocket there for placing the batten dead center of sail.

fibersnap
52 posts
20 Feb 2014 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

1 kg is a lot. Have they used different materials?
PS I wouldn't let my dad rig my sails

Are the weights listed online?

1kg difference IS a lot...

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
20 Feb 2014 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Okay so there is a difference but minimal... Just weighed them..... 800g difference, which maybe a little less, if the evo4 was new? This is understandable that the new one is less, 2 years more technology, better lightweight materials ect ect

2012 NP RSREVO 4 5.8 - 5.8kg
2014 NP RSREVO 6 5.8 - 5.0kg

fibersnap
52 posts
21 Feb 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izaak said..

Okay so there is a difference but minimal... Just weighed them..... 800g difference, which maybe a little less, if the evo4 was new? This is understandable that the new one is less, 2 years more technology, better lightweight materials ect ect

2012 NP RSREVO 4 5.8 - 5.8kg
2014 NP RSREVO 6 5.8 - 5.0kg

That's still a remarkable difference - especially for a small sail. Thanks.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
4 Mar 2014 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Any updates from those that have used the EVO6. Talked to one guy up our way with a few different sizes and he was impressed over the EVO5's as they are slightly more refined (I guess that's the EVO name from Evolution). Looking for more opinions. I said I wouldn't buy a 5.8m but tempted.
Cheers
Marty

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
5 Mar 2014 2:24AM
Thumbs Up

10 years back I bought a 6m and 6.7m Aerotech Race sail. They were particularly slow but they were so light. From that experience I would say a saving of 800g will make a huge difference to the enjoyment of sailing it. However it will make next to no difference in performance.

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
5 Mar 2014 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izaak said..

2012 NP RSREVO 4 5.8 - 5.8kg2014 NP RSREVO 6 5.8 - 5.0kg

How is it that Avanti can still be 500g lighter?

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
5 Mar 2014 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartinF2 said...
Any updates from those that have used the EVO6. Talked to one guy up our way with a few different sizes and he was impressed over the EVO5's as they are slightly more refined (I guess that's the EVO name from Evolution). Looking for more opinions. I said I wouldn't buy a 5.8m but tempted.
Cheers
Marty

Haven't had a chance yet Marty, I think choco may have had his out once or twice.

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
6 Mar 2014 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paul Kelf said..

izaak said..

2012 NP RSREVO 4 5.8 - 5.8kg2014 NP RSREVO 6 5.8 - 5.0kg

How is it that Avanti can still be 500g lighter?

All carbon battens would go a long way to that weight saving, rather than just 1 (or are there more used now?) Ever compared a glass tube side by side with a carbon one?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
21 Mar 2014 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MartinF2 said..

I thought NP were dropping the RS Slalom and using the H2 Racing in it's place? Anyone have more info?
Cheers
Marty

Changed their minds ??

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Mar 2014 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Dad and i have both had our EVO6 5.8's out a few times now in marginal conditions. I will get dad to write a bit more of a spill. As his tested his more than me. haha

I have had mine out once for about 40mins, so can't really comment too much at this stage.

first impressions all positive:
A very light weight feel
lots of low down grunt which was great, out of the turn in underpowered conditions for the 5.8!
But the biggest difference was the smooth rotation on the cams! unreal ive allways havent minded the previous years but this is their best yet
Rigged up the sail looks to be setting really nice and smooth with the nice deep profile. Might rig it up again tomorrow, just for a few photos

Now to really test it in some proper wind!

GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
22 Mar 2014 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Photos please...

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
22 Mar 2014 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

MartinF2 said..

I thought NP were dropping the RS Slalom and using the H2 Racing in it's place? Anyone have more info?
Cheers
Marty

Changed their minds ??

Thanks for the update.

Select to expand quote
GusTee said..

Photos please...

Like the one's on the previous page?

choco
SA, 4024 posts
23 Mar 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Love the colours of the sail out on the water thanks Dot & Mike for the pics

Sail felt fantastic very light in the hands, super stable and heaps of drive, up wind it just locked in flew STOKED, the only negative was when rigging I found a few bits of broken plastic not knowing where they come from I went out sailing anyway the sail set a bit flat and I couldn't get rid of any of the wrinkles in the batten pockets.When I got home I noticed that all the batten end caps had broken on rigging and the more I tried to clear the wrinkles the further I pushed the battens into the cam rollers, changed them over with the spares I got with the sail and now it rigs very nice heaps of shape.The battens were not over tensioned to start with and downhaul was 4cm off recommended setting.
Apart from this can't fault the sail in anyway just need some wind I'll be adding bigger sizes next year.

sail rigged at Lake George you can see the wrinkles in all the batten pockets, sail rigged with minimum downhaul

Broken batten caps

?

F2
QLD, 209 posts
23 Mar 2014 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Choco, my new 7.8 evo6 was the same,first sail min down haul on it, broke the end caps on the first two battens, fixed them since then have not broken any more and have used the sail a lot and just love it.

choco
SA, 4024 posts
23 Mar 2014 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
F2 said..

Choco, my new 7.8 evo6 was the same,first sail min down haul on it, broke the end caps on the first two battens, fixed them since then have not broken any more and have used the sail a lot and just love it.

Must have been a bad batch out of factory but the sail is sweet.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
23 Mar 2014 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Shame but easy to fix which is good. What is all the string for around the cam in picture?
Is it for fine tuning the rotation cam pressure?
or just to stop them sliding off when downhalling?

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
23 Mar 2014 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting. I had the same thing happen to my EVO5 6.4m on it first use. The black batten end wasn't there on the first camber above the boom. Also my 7.0m had a broken batcam as well which I had to have a new one sewn into the sail before I used it. Looks like the back batten tip problem hasn't been solved yet as they give you spares when buying the sail....... I trimmed a few mm off the batten tip so I could fine tune the length in case this was the problem of too much pressure from factory.

I only wish all the cams were adjustable with the allen key.

Cheers
Marty

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
24 Mar 2014 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

sh!tload of pics here :
(this sunday, local team pryde training for the pwa )
www.diabolofunboard.com/spip.php?article2440

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
24 Mar 2014 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

sh!tload of pics here :
(this sunday, local team pryde training for the pwa )
www.diabolofunboard.com/spip.php?article2440

mkseven
QLD, 2313 posts
24 Mar 2014 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TASSIEROCKS said...
Shame but easy to fix which is good. What is all the string for around the cam in picture?
Is it for fine tuning the rotation cam pressure?
or just to stop them sliding off when downhalling?

inner controls how far into the sail the cam goes, outer just holds the cam at right angle & can control cam movement to an extent. If your pedantic you can tape the cams which helps stop the roller pin breaking the cam but the batten end generally is the weak point then the battens.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
26 Mar 2014 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

some lucky guys...

w100
WA, 238 posts
27 Mar 2014 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe the black caps got broken because too little DH tension and too belly shape below the boom.Battens push too much and as soon as you rotate the foil it smashes the cap. Same situation with metallic interface system (Loft) or with 100% carbon stuff (Avanti) you'd have couple of broken (or shortened) battens...

choco
SA, 4024 posts
27 Mar 2014 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
w100 said..

Maybe the black caps got broken because too little DH tension and too belly shape below the boom.Battens push too much and as soon as you rotate the foil it smashes the cap. Same situation with metallic interface system (Loft) or with 100% carbon stuff (Avanti) you'd have couple of broken (or shortened) battens...

If that's the case then they would always break when rigging ie before applying full down haul and the top cam batten end broke too no belly up there!
The caps were broken without me even rotating the sail, when rigging pieces of plastic fell out the bottom of the luff when I was threading the down haul so must have broken when I popped the cams on, simple case of bad batch of batten end/stops.
Don't really care, just sharing honest assessment in case some one else has the same problem(which looks like it) the sail is so dam sweet that this was a simple inconvenience.

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
27 Mar 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yes a few of the first batch did come out with a weak or fault in the batten end caps.. Local retailers should be informing customers and be recieving a set to replace them with, if so

choco
SA, 4024 posts
27 Mar 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izaak said..

Yes a few of the first batch did come out with a weak or fault in the batten end caps.. Local retailers should be informing customers and be recieving a set to replace them with, if so

thanks Izaak

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
27 Mar 2014 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izaak said..

Hmmm. So is the same for EVO5's. When I spoke to the Australian distributor about it apparently no one had seen this problem. My EVO5's are late model to the point they were probably made the same time as your EVO6's so I guess they have the same batch of black tips installed.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
27 May 2014 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Handy hints from a pro.

buzzy
TAS, 2433 posts
5 Jun 2014 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing these sails perform at Green Island. Obviously all the Neil Pryde team will be there to support their product and battle it out with the Red sails and others.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
14 Jun 2014 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Why you selling it Choco?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 NP RSR EVO6" started by izaak