QLD, 7428 posts
21 Nov 2013 2:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paul Kelf said..

choco said..
Antoine would still win races with half a boom

Not on Port tack he wouldn't

Just turn it over for port tack. If he has to tack both ways in a race he can sail clew first coz he's AA isn't he.

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
21 Nov 2013 5:15AM
Thumbs Up

Slowboat decade ago used to sail those home made jobs,some of them were half filled with water. I tried one as did another friend and we both agreed they were shockingly slow. Yet he managed to get mid 40"s from memory out of them. After that experience i knew that equipment has practically nothing to do with top speed,short of small increments of a single knot! AA would flog near everyone in Oz with a no cam sail and a free ride board.

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
21 Nov 2013 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait for my new 5.8! What I find very interesting is the new batten set up and luff. The new batten set up is now in between the over lapping panels. Putting it in the center of the sail. Must take a reasonable amout of weight out, as there is no need for its own batten pocket.

choco
SA, 4027 posts
4 Feb 2014 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izaak said..

Can't wait for my new 5.8! What I find very interesting is the new batten set up and luff. The new batten set up is now in between the over lapping panels. Putting it in the center of the sail. Must take a reasonable amout of weight out, as there is no need for its own batten pocket.

my 5.8 is on it's way

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
4 Feb 2014 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Looks nice!

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
4 Feb 2014 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS4 said..

choco said..

AUS4 said..

choco said..

That Quadruple Luff Panel leading edge is a copy or very similar to what Severne Relfex's have been using for years, best looking Pryde race sail ever though! glad they've dumped those bland colours gee might even be tempted to buy one next year

Then I guess you can say Severne copied North, as North have had it for 3 years and this is the 2nd year Severne has had it.

Severne have used it since 2010 going by pics on the net but never realised North had the same feature bit of a change usually brands end up copying what Pryde does.
Back on track the new NP sails look nice

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/2010-Severne-Reflex-and-Overdrive/

I am struggling to count more than 3 luff panels in any of those Reflex sail models (Reflex 1-4)

I can count 2 but only cause there's another sail in the window.

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Feb 2014 1:13AM
Thumbs Up

Nice to hear choco!

choco
SA, 4027 posts
7 Feb 2014 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
izaak said..

Nice to hear choco!

It will be here Monday Izzak, I'll post some pics when it arrives got the new FX100 mast as well.

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
7 Feb 2014 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Nice!! Yes mine arrived into aus this week now it's on the way to tas haha should be the weapon of choice for LG

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
7 Feb 2014 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see your Pryde toys are arriving in time.

Kind Regards
Cheers Russ

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
7 Feb 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

I'm waiting for positive reports on the 5.8 otherwise I'll order an EVO5 to match the rest of my quiver. Let us know when they have been wet.
Cheers
Marty

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
7 Feb 2014 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

to help waiting...

choco
SA, 4027 posts
8 Feb 2014 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

look what turned up

EVO6 5.8m cams rotate so sweet had to keep checking it was a Pryde sail, the new masts look the goods very different to what I have seen in the past, sail construction is superb and the finish is top class, looking forward to some on the water testing.

?

?

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
8 Feb 2014 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Definatly since the evo4 the prydes have really refined their sails.. The evo5's are unreal so I'm with you choco the evo6 should be there best year yet!

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
9 Feb 2014 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Ive broken 2 FX 100 (400cm) masts already this year in january

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
9 Feb 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roar said..

Ive broken 2 FX 100 (400cm) masts already this year in january

Only 2 Roar - that's not too bad Poor ol' choco will now be thinking of your post every time he uses it.

Sail looks good Choco. You going to LG?

mr love
VIC, 2342 posts
9 Feb 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Masts look like the old Powerex layup.

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
9 Feb 2014 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

I have had the 460 and 490 now for a couple of months,in these sizes they are def stiffer than the old white labelled x9s .
Haven't broken any either.
Didn't like them at first too much but gradually tuned them up(more DH) to suit my 75kg...
Eagerly waiting for some new rags for them

uweh
311 posts
9 Feb 2014 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

for me too...

choco
SA, 4027 posts
10 Feb 2014 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snides8 said...
I have had the 460 and 490 now for a couple of months,in these sizes they are def stiffer than the old white labelled x9s .
Haven't broken any either.
Didn't like them at first too much but gradually tuned them up(more DH) to suit my 75kg...
Eagerly waiting for some new rags for them

the mast actually felt quite soft when down hauling maybe they changed luff curve

col5555
WA, 378 posts
10 Feb 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

I heard that they are made in the same factory that used to make powerex.

shinobi
151 posts
10 Feb 2014 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't NP bought Powerex?
Would make that NP uses the facilities.

mr love
VIC, 2342 posts
10 Feb 2014 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

OK, well if NP bought the facility that makes sense. The Powerex comment was not a criticism, just an observation.

tonyd
QLD, 396 posts
13 Feb 2014 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

RS SLALOM MK6

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
13 Feb 2014 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

I thought NP were dropping the RS Slalom and using the H2 Racing in it's place? Anyone have more info?
Cheers
Marty

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
16 Feb 2014 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Finally dad and I had a chance to rig our 5.8's. After a busy week! Rigged awesome out of the bag and cam rotation is the best year yet! Compared to our evo4 5.8's these ones are over 1kg lighter!! And looked well built with some good tweeks made!

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
16 Feb 2014 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
col5555 said..

mr love said..

mr love said..

I heard that they are made in the same factory that used to make powerex.

What does this mean, when they were made in the USA or after pryde bought them and started making them in a Chinese factory?

I'd be surprised if pryde are now making their masts in the original USA powerex factory, but if they were that would be great news, doubt it though.

w100
WA, 238 posts
20 Feb 2014 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

Has anybody tested it yet?

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
20 Feb 2014 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

1 kg is a lot. Have they used different materials?
PS I wouldn't let my dad rig my sails

choco
SA, 4027 posts
20 Feb 2014 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
w100 said..

Has anybody tested it yet?

Tested it yesterday only did a couple of runs just come off night shift and I was still in la la land pity the wind hung around all day but felt too lethargic and wasn't going to risk crashing the sail on it first outing.
Didn't fully down haul the 5.8 but the leech was loose enough, first impression on the water is just how light it feels very different to anything I have used before(loft Blade, Reflex 3, TR9) including the older RSR Evo1 sail that I had, even though it felt light it had plenty drive and the sail was rock solid it didn't flinch at all in the squalls that were coming through, great balance and control in the biggest gusts.The sail's rotation is hands down the best I have ever experienced in a race sail effortless

. very light feeling on the water and off
. rock solid stability
. develops heaps of drive
. best rotating sail I have ever used
. very easy to use great balance

that about sums it up for my brief outing, I'll update after a decent session

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 NP RSR EVO6" started by izaak