Created by Hanstholm > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2021
Jens
WA, 342 posts
24 Feb 2022 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

Jens said..
Hi all. I'm about 94-96 kg and find that the 94 has plenty of buoyancy, similar to the 2015 model it replaced. When you sail in holey wind it handles the lulls well and then goes like a rocket when the gusts hit. In that respect it's much less technical to sail than my 2016 95l Pyramid which tends to fall off a cliff under those conditions.

Interesting findings. I had the 2014/15 C4 94 too (then 2016 C4 96, 2018 C3 99 and now 2020 C3 98).
The 2015 94 felt floaty, if the new 22 feels comparable despite being about 0,8 cm narrower, that would be a board to consider for me.
The 1,6 cm wider tail of the 22 may well compensate the width..

This is what they've managed to achieve so well. In the air and on the wave the new 94 feels smaller and more dynamic. It should because it's both narrower and shorter. However when the wind drops off it doesn't feel less buoyant. I had 2 sessions yesterday that absolutely confirmed this. At the moment we're having schizo offshores gusting between 10-30 knots. The windless zones can sometimes be completely glassy which makes for tough sailing. I was really impressed with how the 94 handled it. It was a much more comfortable session than I remember from last year on the pyramid 95 on a similar day.

loopless4
6 posts
6 Mar 2022 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

I have a Goya One 3 (2020? I think) 105L that I use with a 6.3. I wave sail DTL in "bob and ride" conditions a lot (think 12-14mph). Although I only weigh 75kg and am a pretty decent wave sailor you really do need that volume and sail size to plane off onto a wave and get upwind - or you just don't get waves. We have probably 10 local sailors on boards from 95L-120L using 6.3-6.8 sails with volume pretty much based on weight. Most people use freewave boards as full on wave boards struggle to get upwind and don't plane off when needing to pump into a swell.Anyway I was looking at the Nitro 106L to be able to ride waves more aggressively and in the pocket than the One. Only concerns are how does the Nitro handle a 6-8ft wave DTL? Does it go upwind? Can you pump it up onto the plane? After watching a friend on a "Black Box" which is a super short stubby board and is , frankly, a total POS, I am a bit nervous about the Nitro.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
6 Mar 2022 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know about the Nitro but am certain that the new custom 4 104 would work. That board trucks upwind and gets onto the plane really fast. I've found it much easier to catch waves in the super light days because it hooks into the swells so easily.

I did find it a bit stiff in the waves initially but have now fixed that with a bit of fiddling around: Asymmetric fin position with the cut back side fully forward, bottom turn side central. Mast base close to rear. Back footstrap offset slightly to favour the bottom turn. This last change was the most significant that has really loosened the board and makes it a great match with the 94. I haven't tried any of this with the 94 yet because I didn't feel the need, but am going to mess around with this now after seeing how much it changed the 104.

philn
812 posts
8 Mar 2022 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jens said..
I don't know about the Nitro but am certain that the new custom 4 104 would work. That board trucks upwind and gets onto the plane really fast. I've found it much easier to catch waves in the super light days because it hooks into the swells so easily.

I did find it a bit stiff in the waves initially but have now fixed that with a bit of fiddling around: Asymmetric fin position with the cut back side fully forward, bottom turn side central. Mast base close to rear. Back footstrap offset slightly to favour the bottom turn. This last change was the most significant that has really loosened the board and makes it a great match with the 94. I haven't tried any of this with the 94 yet because I didn't feel the need, but am going to mess around with this now after seeing how much it changed the 104.

I'm about 10 kg lighter than you. I have the 2020/2021 Quatro Cube 106 and don't find it stiff at all in nicely powered conditions (for me that is enough wind to plane consistently with a 5.5). In good quality waves and enough wind the Cube 106 L is amazing, it turns like a much smaller board. Compared to the 2021 Custom 4 104 L that I rented in Maui last year the Cube is slower to plane and not as easy to pump onto a wave. Overall I'd say for the 2021/2022 generation the Custom 4 104 L is better than the Cube 106 in slog and ride conditions, but as soon as the conditions turn on then the Cube 106 L is better. I also have a 2014 Quatro Cube 110 L which is far better in slog and ride conditions than the Cube 106 L. The old 110 L Cube has a lovely flowing ride in very light wind conditions where the only power is coming from the wave, while the Cube 106 L just seems to "bog down" unless it's cross off and good apparent wind.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
9 Mar 2022 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

I guess that the Cube might be a bit shorter and wider? I've certainly had some opportunities to try the 104 recently as the end of our season has arrived with a bang. Breezes are much lighter and less reliable than even a week ago, but we have been getting some nice clean sets up to mast high. As I've gotten used to the bigger board and found the sweet spot in setting it up the stiffness has gone and I'm really enjoying it. The pumping onto the plane is so important for light wind wave riding, but is tiring! The pay off of relatively empty clean waves is definitely worth it though.

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
15 Mar 2022 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

New 92 pyramid turned up this morning, looks good (still prefer the nuking red of the previous model) will be paired with my 98 cube. Finish looks awesome, quality slot box (long adjustment for fins) and us box arrangement for centre. Great MFC straps, finally with marking to set them all the same (like JP has had for a couple of seasons). Double screw for back strap, single screw on fronts, only 3 positions to choose adjustment, square washer to fine adjust strap for with. Excited to get it on the water. Shout out to SC board sports, Sunshine Coast for great service and looking after me. Now 3 Quatros in the quiver, 105 Power, 98 cube, 92 pyramid.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
15 Mar 2022 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looks nice. Let us know how it goes for you.

leto
273 posts
16 Mar 2022 2:27AM
Thumbs Up

These limited white graphics look strange, as if the printer had barely any black ink left. lol. But I guess easy for paint touchups in case. Red one looked amazing.

seabreezer
377 posts
16 Mar 2022 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Think grqphics look pretty good in the ' modern surfboard style graphics '

Nerburger - that quiver lay up looks the goods , not much volume spread (105/98/92) , just emphasising rocker / outline differenences .... Nuanced .... like it ....

AlexF
494 posts
16 Mar 2022 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
Think grqphics look pretty good in the ' modern surfboard style graphics '

Nerburger - that quiver lay up looks the goods , not much volume spread (105/98/92) , just emphasising rocker / outline differenences .... Nuanced .... like it ....

For reference, what's your weight, Nerdburger?
I currently have a two boad quiver, also with narrowly spaced volumes, Goya Custom3 98 and One 105, me being 92 kg.
Makes fully sense, since the One has a more stubby oriented shape with a wide and thick tail, and the C3 has more of a curvy outline with narrow tail and significantly more rocker.

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
17 Mar 2022 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 92-96 kg atm, but working on getting back down to 84-86 kg and under. I've been struggling a bit with light wind days on the 98 L in good wave as I got up to 102 kgs at one point after Xmas holidays and into February.
I couldn't get any waves in my last comp, small and gusty, so was the last straw at being a fatty.
Was fine on the 105L with a 25 cm fin, for small waves, onshore and bump and jump. But I just love riding the 98 cube and a 5.5/5.0 for east coast conditions. I order this board end of last yr, and was 90 kgs and working on getting lighter, back then.
For me when I'm fighting fit, the 98 cube is almost a one board quiver as it's a jack of all trades for all conditions.
The 105L is for summer slop East coast NE which it makes it super fun, use with 5.5 and 5.8.

The 92 L is for those perfect days, that I wished I sailed more often.

For up coming planned trips WA, Tassie, Phillip island, hopefully Maui next yr the 98/92 (5.5/5.0/4.7) a wave sup and a surfboard is the perfect travel kit for me.
For home on the east coast 105/98 (5.8/5.5/5.0) and the rest of my water toys suits.

I hope this helps.

seabreezer
377 posts
18 Mar 2022 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Oh no Nerdburger , you've nerded that right UP , ! ..... perfect travel kit is ......... drum roll .....

99 pyramid ...... (frickin epic travel board no messing do everything for yr wGT)
Inifity SUP
surf board

am I right , or am I right , and you need to splash more cash , or sell the current quiver , go 99 pyramid / 106 cube and be done with it haha , all matching white ....

BTW - my quiver not quite so volume nuanced .... my vols stretch from 75ltr to 110 !!! , and me 76 kgs .... that's 35 ltr numpty span and loving it .... (my quiver nuanced in other ridiculous ways tho , but not on volume ) .....

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
18 Mar 2022 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Haa bloody hilarious !!, I disagree 98 cube and 92 pyramid (Haa haven't even ridden it yet !!??, so only based on stoke and good looks), each to their own I'd say !!
yes on the infinity sup, blur V2, hoping to go small this yr from my 121 to a 109 L 8'2 ".

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
19 Mar 2022 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nerdburger said..
I'm 92-96 kg atm, but working on getting back down to 84-86 kg and under. I've been struggling a bit with light wind days on the 98 L in good wave as I got up to 102 kgs at one point after Xmas holidays and into February.
I couldn't get any waves in my last comp, small and gusty, so was the last straw at being a fatty.
Was fine on the 105L with a 25 cm fin, for small waves, onshore and bump and jump. But I just love riding the 98 cube and a 5.5/5.0 for east coast conditions. I order this board end of last yr, and was 90 kgs and working on getting lighter, back then.
For me when I'm fighting fit, the 98 cube is almost a one board quiver as it's a jack of all trades for all conditions.
The 105L is for summer slop East coast NE which it makes it super fun, use with 5.5 and 5.8.

The 92 L is for those perfect days, that I wished I sailed more often.

For up coming planned trips WA, Tassie, Phillip island, hopefully Maui next yr the 98/92 (5.5/5.0/4.7) a wave sup and a surfboard is the perfect travel kit for me.
For home on the east coast 105/98 (5.8/5.5/5.0) and the rest of my water toys suits.

I hope this helps.

Phillip island and Tassie area on my radar this year, when you going ?

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
20 Mar 2022 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Don't know at this stage send us your number mate in seabreeze msg. Would be great to share the wind and waves. Definitely before or after the winter, maybe just wait till a go forecast and hit it, go for a week ?

asturcon
36 posts
23 Mar 2022 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,
Does anybody know if the double - V concave is much deaper in the Goya Custom 3 2022 then the 2020 model?+. I have Custom 3 86 litres 2020 model myself.
A part from that I also have the Fox 95 which is very deap in th V-form and it gives me a comfortable ride. can it bee to much deap V to make the turns more difficult?
JJ

supperly
12 posts
24 Mar 2022 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Was anyone already able to test the Goya Nitro 3? Am really curious about the first impression.

thanks!

akesy
VIC, 53 posts
12 May 2022 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Got hold of my pyramid & Cube 87L

I had the chance lately to try out the pyramid in good side off 3ft+ and the cube in more mediocre side on fluky conditions and both didn't disappoint.

Although same literage, they couldn't be more different both in dimensions and how they feel and behave on the water:

Pyramid: Interestingly the pyramid feels bigger; it feels safe underfoot, goes quick into planning (quicker than the previous model) and doesn't feel as selective as previous model (I also have the previous model Pyramid 82L which i find much more exclusive, full on big wave down the line surfing, which is what i like about it). This model feels more approachable; i wonder whether the rocker is slightly flatter, surely feels that way.
On the wave, it sticks to its DNA, coming alive when the wave stands and powers up, it excels in long drawn out bottom turns, engaging the whole rail, driven off the front foot; as you shift weight back onto the heels and push the board up into the lip, the board redirects instantly and keep its speed down the wave as you can focus on your next move. I don't think there're many boards in the market who can challenge it in these conditions; the bigger, more vertical and hollow a wave is, the more the Pyramid will feel at ease and most other boards would show their limitations.
The opposite is true as well, the more average the conditions are, the more average the board becomes as well; although i feel like it's not as pronounced as the previous model. In small waves, it'd feel slow, not reactive, unresponsive and generally not fun; that's when the cube comes in.

Cube: Interestingly the cube feels smaller; much smaller, which is probably due to how short it is. It caught me off guard at first: the nose would dive, i'd have to position my feet further back onto the board behind the mast when on the pyramid they'd be comfortable on each side of the base. It gets to planning just as fast but differently; you sort have to move your weight back sooner and pump, when the pyramid is more of a progression from front to back. Once planning, it feels lively, playful, you find yourself hunting for ramps, changing directions easily and quickly.
On the wave, it prefers short powered up bottom turns off the back foot, it turns in the pocket keeping all the speed required to hit the top turn at full speed ... and the top turns, the more pressure on the back foot the better; it throws a ton of spray, redirecting instantly, fins sliding out and recovering, always feeling under control; it's just super fun. I had so much fun despite pretty crappy conditions and the few waves i caught with it put a smile on my face. I can't wait to get out there in small to medium waves, side / side on and stamp that back back foot into the bottom turn and into the lip.

Honestly, i can't really compare those 2 boards against each other, it's like comparing apples with oranges; i love them both and for different reasons, in different conditions and i can't think of a situation where they'd overlap. Which board to use is actually a clear choice depending on the conditions; here in Victoria, we have both types of conditions, which sort of makes it worth me having both but if i had only one type, i'd only have the one board.

Marsatac
18 posts
11 Aug 2022 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jens said..

Hi Jens, would you be kind enough to share some photos of the 104?
Really curious and it's quite impossible to find.
If you've got some in action, could be nice too.

akesy
VIC, 53 posts
12 Aug 2022 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Some recent action on the Cube & Pyramid (previous model):

- In the first session, although it was down the line surfing, waves were fairly sluggish with not a lot of power behind them, which is why i chose the Cube instead of the Pyramid, and that was the right choice to extent that you needed to wait and stay in the pocket as much as possible where all the power was. I had the Pyramid to being with, and it wasn't allowing me to stay in the pocket with short bottom turns off the back foot. The Cube delivered big time, it truly came alive and enabled the most out of that session given what i said above and is the go to board in less than perfect conditions or weak, sluggish waves as below.

- On the other side, the pyramid in the second picture was much better suited to a quick, short and powerful reef wave, even though not as big: It just taps into the underlying power of the wave to generate speed get you position where ever you want to be. Interestingly, i've found the new pyramid (which i have in 87L) to be slightly toned down compared to the previous version; maybe it's because it's a bigger size, maybe in the same size, it wouldn't feel that way, would be interesting to get someone else's feedback here who can compare the 2 versions.

Hanstholm
57 posts
21 Aug 2022 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
akesy said..

I had the chance lately to try out the pyramid in good side off 3ft+ and the cube in more mediocre side on fluky conditions and both didn't disappoint.

Although same literage, they couldn't be more different both in dimensions and how they feel and behave on the water:

Pyramid: Interestingly the pyramid feels bigger; it feels safe underfoot, goes quick into planning (quicker than the previous model) and doesn't feel as selective as previous model (I also have the previous model Pyramid 82L which i find much more exclusive, full on big wave down the line surfing, which is what i like about it). This model feels more approachable; i wonder whether the rocker is slightly flatter, surely feels that way.
On the wave, it sticks to its DNA, coming alive when the wave stands and powers up, it excels in long drawn out bottom turns, engaging the whole rail, driven off the front foot; as you shift weight back onto the heels and push the board up into the lip, the board redirects instantly and keep its speed down the wave as you can focus on your next move. I don't think there're many boards in the market who can challenge it in these conditions; the bigger, more vertical and hollow a wave is, the more the Pyramid will feel at ease and most other boards would show their limitations.
The opposite is true as well, the more average the conditions are, the more average the board becomes as well; although i feel like it's not as pronounced as the previous model. In small waves, it'd feel slow, not reactive, unresponsive and generally not fun; that's when the cube comes in.

Cube: Interestingly the cube feels smaller; much smaller, which is probably due to how short it is. It caught me off guard at first: the nose would dive, i'd have to position my feet further back onto the board behind the mast when on the pyramid they'd be comfortable on each side of the base. It gets to planning just as fast but differently; you sort have to move your weight back sooner and pump, when the pyramid is more of a progression from front to back. Once planning, it feels lively, playful, you find yourself hunting for ramps, changing directions easily and quickly.
On the wave, it prefers short powered up bottom turns off the back foot, it turns in the pocket keeping all the speed required to hit the top turn at full speed ... and the top turns, the more pressure on the back foot the better; it throws a ton of spray, redirecting instantly, fins sliding out and recovering, always feeling under control; it's just super fun. I had so much fun despite pretty crappy conditions and the few waves i caught with it put a smile on my face. I can't wait to get out there in small to medium waves, side / side on and stamp that back back foot into the bottom turn and into the lip.

Honestly, i can't really compare those 2 boards against each other, it's like comparing apples with oranges; i love them both and for different reasons, in different conditions and i can't think of a situation where they'd overlap. Which board to use is actually a clear choice depending on the conditions; here in Victoria, we have both types of conditions, which sort of makes it worth me having both but if i had only one type, i'd only have the one board.

Perfect description of both boards. I currently have the previous 93 Cube (green) and 77 Pyramid (red) in my quiver and what you describe is exactly how the boards feel on the water.
I've also tested the current 77l Pyramid for a whole day but gave that one back to the shop because it didn't felt better or different in a positive way. It lost a bit of his ,,surf style" compared to the previous one but planes earlier and does not ride as bumpy on the straight. I think it is a bit more versatile for different conditions.

akesy
VIC, 53 posts
22 Aug 2022 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hanstholm said..

akesy said..

Perfect description of both boards. I currently have the previous 93 Cube (green) and 77 Pyramid (red) in my quiver and what you describe is exactly how the boards feel on the water.
I've also tested the current 77l Pyramid for a whole day but gave that one back to the shop because it didn't felt better or different in a positive way. It lost a bit of his ,,surf style" compared to the previous one but planes earlier and does not ride as bumpy on the straight. I think it is a bit more versatile for different conditions.

"I've also tested the current 77l Pyramid for a whole day but gave that one back to the shop because it didn't felt better or different in a positive way. It lost a bit of his ,,surf style" compared to the previous one but planes earlier and does not ride as bumpy on the straight. I think it is a bit more versatile for different conditions."

--> 100% agree; It's been my feeling too having the 82L Red and 87L White. it's lost a bit of its surfing edge that i love in the red; tbh i'm personally a bit disappointed as i was really after that surfy-dedicated feeling; but i can see how it's now better suited to a wider audience.

AlexF
494 posts
6 Oct 2022 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

I got my Nitro 106 some weeks ago, as a replacement for my '22 One 105 which i use as big waveboard accompanying my C3 98 for my 92 kg body. I could try it in several sessions in Portugal and Galicia in sideshore conditions, mostly with a 5.0 and 5.5 Banzai.
The Nitro is a clear improvement to the One 105 regarding turning, it feels more like my C3 whereas the One, despite being a wavy Freewave board, sometimes felt a little stiff.
It has a clear advantage in carrying speed through the bottom turn against the C3 and also planing is clearly better thn the C3. The wide tail helps a lot here. Planing is allmost on par with the One, but the One feels faster and more agile at speed, like shifting in 6th gear whereas the Nitro sticks in 5th.
What was suprising for me was that the Nitro has amazing control in bottom turns, even on choppy waves. Oto in a straight line it has a rather harsh ride in chop despite the extreme V on the forward/mid bottom.
After all the Nitro feels like a "real" waveboard with some extra torque.
Now i'd decide if i use Nitro or C3 not only on wind strenght / sail size, but rather on wave height / push.

Sidenote: First i thought i had to be careful with my jibes to not burry the short nose, but the voluminous nose just stays upon the water even if you put your foot rather forward at the end of the jibe.

supperly
12 posts
21 Jan 2023 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..
I got my Nitro 106 some weeks ago, as a replacement for my '22 One 105 which i use as big waveboard accompanying my C3 98 for my 92 kg body. I could try it in several sessions in Portugal and Galicia in sideshore conditions, mostly with a 5.0 and 5.5 Banzai.
The Nitro is a clear improvement to the One 105 regarding turning, it feels more like my C3 whereas the One, despite being a wavy Freewave board, sometimes felt a little stiff.
It has a clear advantage in carrying speed through the bottom turn against the C3 and also planing is clearly better thn the C3. The wide tail helps a lot here. Planing is allmost on par with the One, but the One feels faster and more agile at speed, like shifting in 6th gear whereas the Nitro sticks in 5th.
What was suprising for me was that the Nitro has amazing control in bottom turns, even on choppy waves. Oto in a straight line it has a rather harsh ride in chop despite the extreme V on the forward/mid bottom.
After all the Nitro feels like a "real" waveboard with some extra torque.
Now i'd decide if i use Nitro or C3 not only on wind strenght / sail size, but rather on wave height / push.

Sidenote: First i thought i had to be careful with my jibes to not burry the short nose, but the voluminous nose just stays upon the water even if you put your foot rather forward at the end of the jibe.

Thanks. Much appreciated - especially as there is almost no review of the nitro available. Would you recommend the nitro as a one quiver board? I am currently using a 95l freewave and an 80l wave board and was wondering if choosing the nitro 89, I could go to one board only? (I weight 75kg and like to sail in waves up to 3m).
I try to reduce my boards as I also started winging and really want to stop carrying tons of boards with me ??

AlexF
494 posts
21 Jan 2023 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

I'd say it depends on your (varying?) conditions.
If you sail mostly cross on or your waves are less powerfully the Nitro could be a one board quiver.
But for side to side off conditions and pushy waves I won't miss my C3.
I haven't tried the Nitro in these conditions though, so can't say it wouldn't work there too.
As you I'm winging too, but I still tell myself having two waveboards is worth the effort.
Despite I use them much less than my winging gear.

Sea Lotus
314 posts
22 Jan 2023 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

After more than a year of wait new boards (custom 4 68lt and cube 82lt) had arrived 2 months ago, and we were lucky to have several weeks of nice south winds (brings warmth in winter :), unfortunately we don't have waves here so these are my first impressions.
Used them with 3.7 and 4.2 sails in b&j and crappy onshore beach break conditions.

I had to use cube 82 with 3.7 sail so it felt too big to enjoy and not my intended conditions to use it and only tried it once. I was worried about wide tail but it was not so bad even when overpowered, bottom turns were a little stiff and bouncy but with good angle control, top turns were snappy and very easy to slide the tail, which i didn't enjoy much. It was very fast on straight line, i would say faster than my previous model c3 75lt, and with better comfort over chop. Can't say much about early planing because i was overpowered, but felt slidy enough.
I guess getting smaller (comes with 15rears) k4 fins would make it softer and more grippy, so no worries there. I think i will like it for my intended use which is 4.8 s-1 sail, light sideshore winds and proper waves, but not a big fan for now after trying for only once.

Goya on the other hand clicked with me from the get go, finally came across a board that has correct ratios for my size. Normally i use front option of back footstrap hole and rear option of front footstraps to catch my 44-45cm stance width, i used the opposite in this board and finally have my back foot at the back and front at the front, feels like everything is in right position now.
This is fast too, and early planing, i would say same as my c3 75lt. Has better control as the board sticks to the water quite a lot, but still not as comfortable over chop as the 2016 c4 i tested before. Its much more agile and surprisingly forgiving. Tacking with speed is ok but slow tacking will need practice as its easy to dig the short nose. It carried 4.2 blade overpowered very comfortably so i guess it would carry 4.4 s-1 sail nicely as well. Carving is so smooth, cuts through chop and keeps speed very well. I could easily sail full switch stance waiting for steep areas of the wave, transition to other direction was olso smooth and without loosing much speed, it was gripping all the way, you can commit fully and it will turn. I couldn't do these with cube 82lt, not even close.
In short i love this board and its my favorite/main board now.

Snapfigure
130 posts
21 Jul 2023 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

Sea Lotus
314 posts
11 Oct 2023 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

It has been 5 weeks on the waves with new boards, so adding my wave comments.

Goya c4 68: used with original 250 fins, carries 4.4 nicely even in overpowered weather, it is very agile, can point the board anywhere you want at an instant, rail to rail at an instant too, small or big wave works great, can chose to do sanppy or carved out turns at any speed, slow speed rail digs are happening much less, rails cut through rough areas smoothly. Planing needs active footwork and pumping, especially in light winds, but its quick to accelerate once you have some power in the sail. Keeps the speed really well at bottom turns. Tracks upwind great, nonplaning or planing. It feels stiffer over chop compared to the 2016 version i tried, olso if wave face has a chop when dropping in on a steep section, i dig the nose several times and catapult but thats probably my mistake. This is my main and favorite board now, i can slog and ride fine, just a little hard to tack and low speed jibe, love it.

Cube 82: i moved around the original 300 fins, got it to most pivoty setup but i still couldn't even come close to make top turns like c3 75 or c4 68. Tried 250 fins, was a little better but my legs still crumbled when hitting critical sections, and still no where near snappy. Ordered new fins (muf dtl+ 14/8, which has very small area) and tried different setups, yes it was better but then it felt too nervous in bottom turns, and my legs still couldn't cope with critical sections.
Bottom turns are bouncy over chop and i dig the rail a lot with this board, but smooth and predictable when there is no chop, just needs a lot of toeside pressure.
Early planing is just amazing, its really fast too, it is very comfortable blasting over chop, rides a little more over the water.
Meanwhile i was using my c3 75lt with 4.8, old board is much better for wave riding, just losing early planing, blasting speed and comfort, so i cancelled selling it and now i am selling the cube, this was a costly mistake.
I think cube is not a good dtl wave board for lightweight riders, great for b&j though. Yes 82lt is too big, but feeling difference between 75 c3 is huge (not a huge difference between c4 68 and c3 75), so i think its not only about big volume.

Hanstholm
57 posts
12 Oct 2023 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sea Lotus said..

Goya c4 68: used with original 250 fins, carries 4.4 nicely even in overpowered weather, it is very agile, can point the board anywhere you want at an instant, rail to rail at an instant too, small or big wave works great, can chose to do sanppy or carved out turns at any speed, slow speed rail digs are happening much less, rails cut through rough areas smoothly. Planing needs active footwork and pumping, especially in light winds, but its quick to accelerate once you have some power in the sail. Keeps the speed really well at bottom turns. Tracks upwind great, nonplaning or planing. It feels stiffer over chop compared to the 2016 version i tried, olso if wave face has a chop when dropping in on a steep section, i dig the nose several times and catapult but thats probably my mistake. This is my main and favorite board now, i can slog and ride fine, just a little hard to tack and low speed jibe, love it.

Cube 82: i moved around the original 300 fins, got it to most pivoty setup but i still couldn't even come close to make top turns like c3 75 or c4 68. Tried 250 fins, was a little better but my legs still crumbled when hitting critical sections, and still no where near snappy. Ordered new fins (muf dtl+ 14/8, which has very small area) and tried different setups, yes it was better but then it felt too nervous in bottom turns, and my legs still couldn't cope with critical sections.
Bottom turns are bouncy over chop and i dig the rail a lot with this board, but smooth and predictable when there is no chop, just needs a lot of toeside pressure.
Early planing is just amazing, its really fast too, it is very comfortable blasting over chop, rides a little more over the water.
Meanwhile i was using my c3 75lt with 4.8, old board is much better for wave riding, just losing early planing, blasting speed and comfort, so i cancelled selling it and now i am selling the cube, this was a costly mistake.
I think cube is not a good dtl wave board for lightweight riders, great for b&j though. Yes 82lt is too big, but feeling difference between 75 c3 is huge (not a huge difference between c4 68 and c3 75), so i think its not only about big volume.

What was your weight? I have the Cube too but in 93l as my big board, Im 75kg. What I?ve found is that you need to adapt your wave riding style a bit to that board. The Cube likes to get turned over the last part of the rail, on the former green version I think the easiest desciption is to think about bottom turning the board just by use of the black painted area at the back part of the rail. You can also find the sweat spot quite easy by just moving the sail a bit back while jibing. You will immediatly feel that it turns much faster and easier. If you want to push the Cube more over the front, like your C4 it gets slower during the turn or you even dig the nose if you come from the Pyramid. Regarding straps position, put the back strap as far back as possible and the mastfoot to the back. To adapt the Cube to my riding style I?ve checked the fin distances and angles. On mine there was a small tolerance issue with the boxes which created a weird fin angle. One fin tip was leaning in the direction of the other (to the inside not to rails) and they were not parallel. After fixing this I?ve added toe in on all 4 fins which makes it an insane board finally. I also have a Pyramid 77l (red) which is the complete opposite of the Cube in regards to wave riding style. This board wants to get pushed on the front part of the rail and is really a board for advanced riders and specialists. It also reacts quite sensitive to mast foot positioning and type of fins used. If you have the right conditions, the power and you figured out the riding style it is a complete mindblowing board, I'm sometimes surprised that the 2020 Pyramid shape is a serial production shape to be honest. For my feeling the C4 is between those two boards, it feels much more balanced, is not that calm in chop as the Cube but turns quite nice on small and big waves but it is not a wave machine like the Pyramid. Maybe this tips help you before you sell the Cube too quick. Cheers

Sea Lotus
314 posts
13 Oct 2023 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hanstholm said..

Sea Lotus said..

What was your weight? I have the Cube too but in 93l as my big board, Im 75kg. What I?ve found is that you need to adapt your wave riding style a bit to that board. The Cube likes to get turned over the last part of the rail, on the former green version I think the easiest desciption is to think about bottom turning the board just by use of the black painted area at the back part of the rail. You can also find the sweat spot quite easy by just moving the sail a bit back while jibing. You will immediatly feel that it turns much faster and easier. If you want to push the Cube more over the front, like your C4 it gets slower during the turn or you even dig the nose if you come from the Pyramid. Regarding straps position, put the back strap as far back as possible and the mastfoot to the back. To adapt the Cube to my riding style I?ve checked the fin distances and angles. On mine there was a small tolerance issue with the boxes which created a weird fin angle. One fin tip was leaning in the direction of the other (to the inside not to rails) and they were not parallel. After fixing this I?ve added toe in on all 4 fins which makes it an insane board finally. I also have a Pyramid 77l (red) which is the complete opposite of the Cube in regards to wave riding style. This board wants to get pushed on the front part of the rail and is really a board for advanced riders and specialists. It also reacts quite sensitive to mast foot positioning and type of fins used. If you have the right conditions, the power and you figured out the riding style it is a complete mindblowing board, I'm sometimes surprised that the 2020 Pyramid shape is a serial production shape to be honest. For my feeling the C4 is between those two boards, it feels much more balanced, is not that calm in chop as the Cube but turns quite nice on small and big waves but it is not a wave machine like the Pyramid. Maybe this tips help you before you sell the Cube too quick. Cheers

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips.

I am 63kg, 165cm short legs, stance 44-45cm. With cube i used the front straps one above most rear, back strap front screws 1 hole above most rear and back screws 1 hole below most forward (13,5cm width instead of 14,5). Mast track is quite back, base circle touching track entrance rectangle, but like you said it still feels too forward, even though distance from front straps are almost same with other boards.
Now i moved all straps one hole rear, so i am at final holes, not possible to move them more rear.
Then i will move the mast base most rear, base circle covering the track entry hole.

I have 10cm ezzy 2* side fins but didn't try them because they were big, now i put them (most rear) and 13cm low area dtl centers (most forwards) so about 2 fingers between them. Do you think this fin setup would work?

Waiting for the wind to give it few more tries with this setup.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Goya Boards 2022/2023" started by Hanstholm