15 Aug 2013 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

What a shame I'm going to miss it.
Can someone score me some redbull merch

Jimmy@Tas
TAS, 77 posts
15 Aug 2013 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

I can only come up for one of the days, would Saturday or Sunday be the best?

Roama
TAS, 194 posts
15 Aug 2013 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely Sunday Jimmy looking at the "put your nappy on" arrows on the charts midday Sunday!

Jimmy@Tas
TAS, 77 posts
15 Aug 2013 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Parkster said..

Definitely Sunday Jimmy looking at the "put your nappy on" arrows on the charts midday Sunday!

Thanks for that, What spots will they be sailing and is it accessible with a 2WD car?

JohnnyHuett
TAS, 543 posts
15 Aug 2013 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

It will either be Greens, BOL or Lighthouse (based on the site info @ redbullstormchase.com) - some info on how to get there @ thespotguide.com.au
I'm not 100% on 2WD access all the way to the other two, but at worst only a couple of hundred meters walk @ BOL...
Sunday is looking the goods for the official event.

houston
TAS, 3173 posts
15 Aug 2013 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Tappo told me National Parks are closing the road to stop too many cars going down and creating a traffic jam. The BOL road is very narrow at the end so there would be chaos and potentially a safety issue if any of the sailors got into trouble and had to be moved out quickly.

I am waiting for John to get back to me to see what the position is with the road and where it is closed off.
Hopefully they close it off where the BOL road leaves the West Pont road so people can still walk down and watch.
As soon as I have more info I'll post it.

Cross fingers the storm hits in daylight, BOL at 10m and 50knts is a problem with a head torch

cookie01
TAS, 172 posts
15 Aug 2013 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Don't think I have seen BOM forecasting 5 to 9 meters for the far northwest coast before!!!
That is the swell height predicted for Sunday

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
15 Aug 2013 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

I am that over the national parks!! Shurly it's got nothing to do with them! Lets hope it's still accessible!

They get a little event happening and all they want to do is stop it!! Oh well nothing a bull bar won't fix! It's only like four days of the year and it'll go back to normal!

Oh well, fingers crossed!!

bearhoover
TAS, 708 posts
15 Aug 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
houston said..

Tappo told me National Parks are closing the road to stop too many cars going down and creating a traffic jam. The BOL road is very narrow at the end so there would be chaos and potentially a safety issue if any of the sailors got into trouble and had to be moved out quickly.

I am waiting for John to get back to me to see what the position is with the road and where it is closed off.
Hopefully they close it off where the BOL road leaves the West Pont road so people can still walk down and watch.
As soon as I have more info I'll post it.

Cross fingers the storm hits in daylight, BOL at 10m and 50knts is a problem with a head torch

Good work president, Would be good if it was short but I would crawl 10km backwards to see this

MrRob
TAS, 100 posts
15 Aug 2013 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Am in agony. have a commitment sat evening. I may well go very early sun morn. 4am or so. Anyone interested in going up for the day and sharing petrol?. I would just be taking the hatchback, ie spectator only. Rob

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
15 Aug 2013 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Port Sorell looks epic for Sunday.. Might have the bar to myself haha oops sorry for hijacking haha

CrackerJack
TAS, 160 posts
15 Aug 2013 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

I am heading up - not going to miss this. Will be staying up as have work on the NW Coast - how convenient.

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
15 Aug 2013 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jezstrt said...
Port Sorell looks epic for Sunday.. Might have the bar to myself haha oops sorry for hijacking haha

Shhh

nickpryde
TAS, 189 posts
15 Aug 2013 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

is anybody coming up saturday afternoon/ evening, if so can you please text me on 0402200912

CrackerJack
TAS, 160 posts
16 Aug 2013 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Rob, I am travelling up Saturday afternoon and staying with my sister in Burnie. I could meet you in Burnie early Sunday morning if you decide to make the trip. Taking Outlander so if anyone else wants to car pool from Burnie (spectators only) phone me on 0438 538 317 - Dave

nickpryde
TAS, 189 posts
16 Aug 2013 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Crackerjack, anybody else, I have a windsurfer mate flying in to wynyard sat arvo who is looking for a ride up (one way) with no gear. If anyone has a spare seat and is traveling at that time, please let me know

Wfigio
TAS, 12 posts
16 Aug 2013 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone else from Hobart looking at sticking around for Monday too?

Happy to car pool up or down. I can take a car or go with someone else. I just don't want to drive back on my own in the dark on Monday.

I also have the option of going up with someone, but they're coming home on Sunday, so would then need a lift home on Monday.

PM me or text on 040 636 8420

houston
TAS, 3173 posts
16 Aug 2013 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Just got an update on the access to BOL for this weekend.

National Parks look like closing the road to BOL on the West Point Rd. You will have to park on the West Point road then walk the 1 km down to BOL. Alternatively park at the West Point car park and walk north around the shoreline, this will take a little longer.

Please be as polite as you can to the Parks guys because we do want all windsurfers who want to watch the action to be able to get there.

Please also keep well back from the Red Bull crew and the cameras as there are be about 50 in the crew.

Good idea also to bring along binoculars as the action could be well out on the reef.

John also asked if everyone could keep out of the water until the Red Bull cameras have stopped and the jet skis and in. So if anyone has the idea hitting a 10m swell and 40knots........... like most of us would........... then you might have to wait

Let's hope the guys get what they want and we see it all

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
16 Aug 2013 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

So are they having a pacific day of competition? Or a couple of days??

Rustbucket68
TAS, 488 posts
16 Aug 2013 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update Ant

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
17 Aug 2013 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Best of luck Storm chase team l'm
Ioking forward to the footage.

Cheers Russ

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
17 Aug 2013 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Something about it on the mercury website

MrRob
TAS, 100 posts
17 Aug 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Im keen to come up tomorrow. If any of you guys (Anthony, Kaleb) hears this evening more details about weather the comp will be held tomorrow or Monday pls let me know. I have to be back Sun night and its a lot of driving.... Merci Rob

buzzy
TAS, 2433 posts
17 Aug 2013 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

First possible start depending on conditions, 8.45 at Temma.

cookie01
TAS, 172 posts
18 Aug 2013 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty tough conditions at Temma today. A bit light to start with, but the wind and swell increased as the day went on.
Too much cross on for good sailing.
At the moment (8.20 pm) it is absolutely howling down here, tomorrow when it swings SW it should be brilliant at BOL...

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
18 Aug 2013 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Will be there tomorrow, should be good!! Cape grim is absoulutley pumping!!!!

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
18 Aug 2013 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

For you guys that stayed home today

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
18 Aug 2013 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

This is a pic of one of the jet ski drivers being rescued after his jet ski stalled and it got washed on the reef in the background after going down a few big waves and onto the reef surprisingly little damage (pic on trailer) the one in the puddle they had borrowed the single trailer from it to go and pick the one washed up. You can just make it out in the pic below as the yellow dot on the rocks above the two people in the foreground

js68
TAS, 113 posts
18 Aug 2013 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics Johno

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
19 Aug 2013 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Can't believe the guys were walking around on those rocks with bare feet, ouch!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"Red Bull Storm Chase - Tasmania 2013" started by Pottssy