Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Port Phillip Downwinder 2013

Created by jermaldan > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2013
jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
3 Oct 2013 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

OK lets do it this time!

Last year I pumped my sail in non planning conditions from Hampton to St.Kilda, I found it was neither dangerous or particularly difficult.

I definitely don't want to be pumping my sail this time round, so I am thinking we should do this in the peak of seabreaze season and launch as the breeze kicks in in the early arvo and ride the breeze down the bay.

We will assign a weatherman to make the traffic light call on the seabreeze and winds for the day.

Launch Bonbeach and sail to St.Kilda. Over 30km's on a single tack.

With good winds it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

Logistics:

People south of Hampton drive their gear down to Bono, rig up, and leaves it on the beach where minders will be there to look after it. Then drive your car to St.Kilda and find a spot to park.

Leave a change of clothes and towel and a rubbish bag for your wettie at St Kilda. The Guys at the Zu may be nice enough to look after it.

People that live north of Sandringham go to St Kilda and then drive the people from the south back to Bono. (Remember who drives you, as you will be expected to give them a lift back to Bono later for their car).

We may also have volunteers with cars that may do a trip and take people depending on the numbers.

Once everyone is back at Bono we wait for the rest of the people to rig up, then we can launch.

Safety:

Please take a mobile in a water proof pouch as a precaution. If you are stranded of something happens and you cant make the full trip. Call the Zu tell them you are in the crew doing the downwinder and we will check in with them when we arrive and organise a pick up.

PFD's would be good if you have them as a precaution.

Try to stick to the group, unless you are racing. For your own safety.

Oh yeah, this is not a formal event that is organised by WV or The Zu, just a bunch of people having a sail, and being a little more organised about logistics. So no Entry Fee, no cost, just fun. Id like to try to get every sailor in Melbourne out! I hear Defi Wind started like this....

So who is interested?
Are you in the north crew or the south crew?
Comments Suggestions?

<Flamesuit on>

mathew
QLD, 2045 posts
3 Oct 2013 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

I'm up for it.

However rather than 1) rig 2) move vehicle 3) catch a lift 4) have wrong sail/board...
I'd be more inclined to drive to Bonbeach, rig, sail to St Kilda... drive /train / bot a ride back to Bonbeach.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
3 Oct 2013 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..

I'm up for it.

However rather than 1) rig 2) move vehicle 3) catch a lift 4) have wrong sail/board...
I'd be more inclined to drive to Bonbeach, rig, sail to St Kilda... drive /train / bot a ride back to Bonbeach.

Ok, so we would need to organise volunteers that could drive us back to Bono from St.Kilda. If anyone thinks that they can organise someone in their family to take a few people that would work best and we could all just go to Bono with all our gear.

Or we might chip in and arrange cabs. Probably only be $10 each.

Just need to figure out how to get a change of clothes to St. Kilda. I could probably be able to get someone to drive them up for us right before we take off and meet us there. Put towel and change of clothes into a garbage bag and put your name on it.

DanP
VIC, 286 posts
3 Oct 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

I'm keen but if its looking like happening on a seabreeze then that's probably me out, cant see myself driving for 1 3/4 hrs to sail after work. If i just happen to have a meeting in Melbourne that day though - that's another matter. I'll stay tuned and keep an eye on this thread.

kato
VIC, 3400 posts
3 Oct 2013 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..

I'm up for it.

I,m interested but I might just sail back to the start and save the drive.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
4 Oct 2013 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
4 Oct 2013 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

It would be nice to get some sponsors... Like to pay for a minibus back?

Created facebook group: "Port Phillip Downwinder"

www.facebook.com/groups/523739397703981/

Further announcements and details will be on FB and Seabreeze.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
4 Oct 2013 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DanP said..

I'm keen but if its looking like happening on a seabreeze then that's probably me out, cant see myself driving for 1 3/4 hrs to sail after work. If i just happen to have a meeting in Melbourne that day though - that's another matter. I'll stay tuned and keep an eye on this thread.

Hey Dan, It's almost definitely will be held on the weekend because we want the BIGGEST turnout.

My gut feel is that we will be gathering at around 2PM at Bono, and launching at 3pm.

Everyone should be at St.Kilda by around 5PM for drinks at West Pavillion, and we will book transport back to Bono for 6PM-ish.

I think that we should sent the racers off first and then, freestylers and the rest about 5 minutes after.

jimieleuk
VIC, 25 posts
4 Oct 2013 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic idea Jez! I'll defo be in!

DanP
VIC, 286 posts
5 Oct 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jermaldan said..
It's almost definitely will be held on the weekend because we want the BIGGEST turnout.

Sounds good. Clearly it didnt register to me at the time i posted that comment that seabreeze's happen on weekends too!!

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Spoke to Silvertop taxi for maxi cab costs and details, and they have quoted $78 for a trip from StKilda to Bonbeach. They can seat 11.

Less than $10 per person.

Potentially we may have sponsorship for the transport, but even I that falls through, $10 is still cheap.

moondo
VIC, 134 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jez, I'd be up for helping on the logistics side of things. I can get plenty of gear in my trailer. Even more gear if I remove the racks.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
moondo said...
Hey Jez, I'd be up for helping on the logistics side of things. I can get plenty of gear in my trailer. Even more gear if I remove the racks.

That's Awesome!

That will save everyone a trip back to St kilda for their gear!

We'll need to work out your logistics. Perhaps someone from the area can take you and your gear to Bono and you can leave your empty trailer and car in St Kilda.

This will make a huge difference! Thanks!

SeaSkip
VIC, 97 posts
6 Oct 2013 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'd love to come down from Albury for this, sound like a hoot!
I also have a trailer and am keen to help.
How much notice, give or take, will there be for this event?

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Oct 2013 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SeaSkip said...
I'd love to come down from Albury for this, sound like a hoot!
I also have a trailer and am keen to help.
How much notice, give or take, will there be for this event?

That's great! It will be a hoot.

We are ring fencing December for this. Obviously not Xmas eve or Xmas day but . Not sure on the exact date yet, but our long range forecasters at the BOM have been put on alert (sorry Andrew) so hopefully we should have a week standby and 2 days on a green light. Seabreezes should be good this year so fingers crossed this will not disappoint.

I'll be in touch regarding trailer. PM me ad I will be in touch.

Don't forget to like the official Facebook page for updates: www.facebook.com/portphillipdw

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Oct 2013 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

Wonder who will win out of the racers?

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Oct 2013 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Poster update:

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Oct 2013 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have done a google earth flyover of the route and posted it here. Unfortunately it doesn't work on mobile.

If you don't have google earth installed it may not load properly, give it a minute and it should auto start.

portphillipdw.blogspot.com/

ka222
VIC, 633 posts
7 Oct 2013 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

jermaldan said..

I have done a google earth flyover of the route and posted it here. Unfortunately it doesn't work on mobile.

If you don't have google earth installed it may not load properly, give it a minute and it should auto start.

Hey Jez
great idea..

Do you really think you will be able to make it in one run though? It's along way off the wind..

I know we have done heaps of down winders on kites from Rickets.. and going from Rickets to Elwood is really tiring!

Going from Rickets I would guess we do somewhere between 15-20 tacks to get to Elwood!!! Obviously we are just cruising, and staying reasonably close to the shore most of the way, and I am sure you could do less tacks if you wanted.

I think it's a lot harder going off the wind on a windsurfer, than it is on a kite!

Either way - sounds fun I am keen to try!

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Oct 2013 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

ka222 said..

jermaldan said..

Hey Jez
great idea..

Do you really think you will be able to make it in one run though? It's along way off the wind..

I know we have done heaps of down winders on kites from Rickets.. and going from Rickets to Elwood is really tiring!

Going from Rickets I would guess we do somewhere between 15-20 tacks to get to Elwood!!! Obviously we are just cruising, and staying reasonably close to the shore most of the way, and I am sure you could do less tacks if you wanted.

I think it's a lot harder going off the wind on a windsurfer, than it is on a kite!

Either way - sounds fun I am keen to try!

I did Hampton to St Kilda in sub-planning conditions on one tack. I think I may have planned for 5 minutes just as I hit St K.

I am not saying this is the way to go, but just stating its achievable in the right conditions.

I also didn't say it was going to be easy. I am sure that there are going to be sore backs and arms at the end of all this, but isn't this the case anyway if you do a triathlon or marathon?

Going off the wind is going to be the challenge so I am guessing that you wont want too big a fin, or go upwind too hard in the SW.

I definitely think that there are going to be a few gybes in it for the sake of not cramping up.

I guess everyone should all go out and start practising doing some long reaches and planning a strategy!

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Oct 2013 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Some updates.......

Start: Williams Grove, Bonbeach. Paid parking in the carpark or free parking in the street. Grassed rigging area to the right, which is limited in size, so please take your equipment onto the beach once you have rigged to make room for others.

Finish: St Kilda West Beach Pavillion.

Fee: No Fee!

Time and Date:

The date will be in December however the exact date has not been confirmed. Meteorologists from the BOM will be looking at the long range forecasts and updating us. We will be using a traffic light system where ‘Amber’ will represent a week on standby and ‘Green’ will mean it’s on! (much like Red Bull Storm Chase). Likely launch time will be around 3PM.

Arrival: Please arrive no later than 1.30PM as there may be congestion for the use of the rigging area, and a limited amount of parking spaces. The parking is ticketed, however if possible it may be best (and cheapest) option to unpack your equipment and park in the street which is free. You can also park in neighbouring streets and walk your equipment down.

Updates and Social Media: Updates will be posted to Seabreeze Victoria forum and on the Facebook page. Make sure you like the page for updates. Seabreeze link: www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Victoria/Port-Phillip-Downwinder-2013/ Facebook: www.facebook.com/portphillipdw Launch Bonbeach and sail to St.Kilda. Over 30km's on a single tack. With good winds it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

Logistics:

Transport: Unless you have made other arrangements you will be likely leaving your car at Bonbeach and picking it up later. Maxi Taxi’s will be ordered from the Zu to take groups of you from St Kilda back to Bonbeach. Currently the trip self funded and works out to be approximately $10 per seat, so please stash some cash on you for the trip.

Equipment: There will be a couple of large trailers taking gear back down to Bonbeach. Every attempt will be made to ensure that it is secured within the trailers however it would be at the owners risk as boards will be stacked on top of each other.

Clothes change: Please label a garbage bag with your name and put in your change of clothes as well as a towel. This will be driven to the Zu before the race. Don’t put valuables in the garbage bag please. The car will be leaving at approximately 3pm as the downwinder starts.

The Downwinder: The Downwinder will be split into two launches. Hardcore racers launch first, then everyone else second. We will arrange some timing between Bono and St Kilda. If you are not racing please try to stick to the group and be wary about who is around you.

Safety:
Please take a mobile in a water proof pouch as a precaution. If you are stranded of something happens and you cant make the full trip. Call the Zu tell them you are in the crew doing the downwinder and we will check in with them when we arrive and organise a pick up. PFD's would be good if you have them as a precaution, I think it’s the law anyway so this will be on you if you don’t have one.

Support: We welcome support from sponsors and individuals in helping make this happen. The following areas are where we could use some help:

Transport: Paying for Maxi Cabs, transporting equipment, pickups of sailors that didn’t make the full trip, transporting dry clothes from Bono to StKilda, general ground support.

Food/Beverage: It would be great if we could have a BBQ and some Beers at the finish.

Water support/Safety: If anyone at all can arrange a boat to Sheppard the sailors on the day, and look to provide some assistance that would be AWESOME! Jetski support also appreciated.We may be able to get a photographer, so if they can be on the boat taking water pic’s that would also be an added plus.

Media/Photography: Anyone who can do video/photography from a boat, or even from land as we pass various points along route would be great. Green point and Sandringham will be locations that will offer great vantage points as sailors cruise by.

Disclaimer: This is not a formal organised WV or club event. Any and all participation in the event is at the risk of the sailor. Every attempt will be made to ensure that safety precautions are followed, however please keep in mind that you are the primary person responsible for your own safety.

kato
VIC, 3400 posts
7 Oct 2013 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Great idea, but some points to consider

I think that you're starting your trip from a no boating? zone. Not a good look if 50 windsurfers invade the beach.

Limited rescue, even though you've stated that it not organised, it is and you would be held responsible. Facebook/Seabreeze statements

Consider the tide, worst case would be wind drops out with an out going tide and 20 windsurfers need to be rescued from the bay or someone dies. Potential bad media or worse?

Consider getting VW to support this and do it properly, with insurance and rescue craft

Your total distance is not 30km, its 100km with a long 8km run to get around Beaumaris. This is assuming that you do short runs of about 4/5km, think of doing two nm runs off the wind x 20 times. A bit hard???.not yet

In 15-20kt the bay will have a swell of 1-2m of which you will be going over the back of. Now its hard and dangerous

Training???.lots of cardio cos you will get tired and cold. Not a jog around the block 1.5hrs + up to 6hrs per week

Core strength, look it up cos you will need it....paddle the sup around a lot 1.5hr+ 6 hrs per week

Look at your leg strength cos your legs are going to burn, so are your arms, neck and back

Consider doing the breakwater to beacon as a fun start. Most find that hard and its a lot less than what you thinking of doing.

Still a fun idea but not one I'll support or participate in. Do it the right safe way and I'm in ?

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
8 Oct 2013 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

Great idea, but some points to consider

I think that you're starting your trip from a no boating? zone. Not a good look if 50 windsurfers invade the beach.

Limited rescue, even though you've stated that it not organised, it is and you would be held responsible. Facebook/Seabreeze statements

Consider the tide, worst case would be wind drops out with an out going tide and 20 windsurfers need to be rescued from the bay or someone dies. Potential bad media or worse?

Consider getting VW to support this and do it properly, with insurance and rescue craft

Your total distance is not 30km, its 100km with a long 8km run to get around Beaumaris. This is assuming that you do short runs of about 4/5km, think of doing two nm runs off the wind x 20 times. A bit hard???.not yet

In 15-20kt the bay will have a swell of 1-2m of which you will be going over the back of. Now its hard and dangerous

Training???.lots of cardio cos you will get tired and cold. Not a jog around the block 1.5hrs + up to 6hrs per week

Core strength, look it up cos you will need it....paddle the sup around a lot 1.5hr+ 6 hrs per week

Look at your leg strength cos your legs are going to burn, so are your arms, neck and back

Consider doing the breakwater to beacon as a fun start. Most find that hard and its a lot less than what you thinking of doing.

Still a fun idea but not one I'll support or participate in. Do it the right safe way and I'm in ?

Hi Kato, Thanks for your comments.

I understand and appreciate your concerns, and respect your position not to participate.

However your comments do paint quite a bleak bureaucratic picture, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of windsurfing.

Windsurfers are not like Yachties. We don't like being bound by rules and regulations. We like our freedom to express ourselves in whichever way we chose. Whilst the reality of the world is that we live in quite a litigious society, it's this fear of litigation that punctures our spirits and stops us doing things that are challenge us.

I can't imagine going through life constantly being worried about insurance, liabilities, permits etc... If I thought like this I may as well never leave the house. Its all about how much our appetite for risk is, and what we are willing to expose ourselves to.

The bay all things considered is quite a safe place to sail. Most days there is quite a bit of traffic around and people are always willing to assist someone that's in trouble. In a SW the wind you will be pushed towards the shore. I am not sure about the rest of the people that sail in the bay, but I have found the tide quite tame.

Most people sail 20-30km or more in a typical session, and although this downwinder draws it out into one run, there is no reason why they cant stop for a break at any time. Take some water with them and like i said earlier, a mobile in a waterproof pouch. I think that you may have slightly embellished on the fitness criteria a tad, not that its not a good idea, but that most people will just be coming along for the cruise.

The Downwinder is not for everyone. People need to be sensible and believe in their abilities to complete the trip. If they can't they can pull up early and get picked up. Plenty of sandy beach along the way.

Here is a breakdown of the legs. (note that its straight line only so additional gybes may add to the distance).

The first leg is across the wind on a SW, the remaining legs are off the wind.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
8 Oct 2013 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Went to Anaconda today to get a Fluid hydration pack and a waterproof pouch for my phone and they had a 50% off sale if you have an anaconda membership. Paid $37 for the lot. The sale is only on for this week and the hydro pack goes back to $50.

kato
VIC, 3400 posts
8 Oct 2013 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

I still don't get why you wouldn't go through WV and do it safely with some form of organised back up and insurance

As to the fitness thing, the most I've sailed on one tack is the B to B (13km) most of my other stuff is around 9km but square and much easier. Your back leg is going to burn, most sailors sail square and rarely off the wind for any length of time so you are going to need to be fit so 12hr per week is nothing compared to 4hrs of off the wind sailing. The L to L is around 25km

I think its a very brave move risking your finances on not getting sued on something that could go very wrong. Hope it works

Windsurf0709
VIC, 136 posts
9 Oct 2013 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

My fitness and experience sailing downwind is probably not good enough to try this. Just being on one tack for so long in the B2B is a challenge for my back.

You could always consider interim stops/finish points along the way. Seems like Rickets is about 10km and Green Point a further 10 km.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
9 Oct 2013 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

I see your point.

Sailors can pull in at any stretch of beach along the way and then get picked up on the way back. I am speaking with people that have more experience on this than I and will be posting detailed instructions later.

In addition, to this I am thinking that there may be a need to have 2 courses. Kinda like a half marathon type route...

John Holmes Run: Bono - St Kilda (~32kms). A really long run
Ron Jeremy Run: Hampton - St Kilda (~12kms). Shorter run, but still good.

(Course names are not set in stone)

mathew
QLD, 2045 posts
9 Oct 2013 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jermaldan said..

Hi Kato, Thanks for your comments.

I understand and appreciate your concerns, and respect your position not to participate.

However your comments do paint quite a bleak bureaucratic picture, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of windsurfing.

J, Kato is the current world record holder for distance sailing (at 550km)... if he says this is hard, you should probably listen.

The Ledge-to-Lancelin is probably the best example of downwind course-sailing for windsurfing -> it is 10km direct, but about 25km (as measured on my GPS) and that is without adding extra tacks just to make your way downwind... each leg is between 2 - 5 km. The fast folks do it in about 30mins, the slowest are picked up by boats after 2 hrs.

This is 3 times the distance of the L2L, with what looks to be about 50-60km length at max-downwind-ability. Then there is the problem that at Bonbeach you need a 7m, while a St Kilda you would require a 5.5m (assuming sailing on a seabreeze).

While I am always up for a challenge, I think this course is hard.

yakspeed
VIC, 104 posts
9 Oct 2013 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

I'd be keen - why not try a few shorter "events" leading up to Dec? Black Rock/Half Moon Bay to Elwood, Elwood to St Kilda, or Bonbeach to Rickett's - try a different one each weekend, depending on the wind. It will give sailors an idea of their capabilities and fitness levels - what it feels like to sail on the same tack for long periods, etc. Test your (non-sailing) kit, like hydration packs, waterproof bags, GPS, life-preserver (I found mine tends to creep up, for example). Also, what to expect when something goes wrong - kit breaks, wind drops, fatigue, tide goes out - rescue options, or self-rescue options...

I'm lucky - if we do this, I drop my kit at Bonbeach, and sail home from there!

Windsurf0709
VIC, 136 posts
9 Oct 2013 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

how about a 'buddy' system? ...works well in scuba diving

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
9 Oct 2013 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windsurf0709 said..

how about a 'buddy' system? ...works well in scuba diving

Definitely! Although people would have to organise their own pairing.

Most people will stay in a group.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Port Phillip Downwinder 2013" started by jermaldan