Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Port Phillip Downwinder 2013

Created by jermaldan > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2013
Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
21 Jan 2014 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

I'm keen. Sounds like my kind of knutstickle event.

Are we waiting for the right wind and some more formalities? Excuse my ignorance - not read the whole thread.

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
22 Jan 2014 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Just to recap on the main points so that the whole thread doesn't need to be read.

1) It will be on the weekend of the 8th / 9th Feb. It will be confirmed 48 hours out.

2) Full race is 30km and starts at Bonbeach (+any additional gybes and tacks you throw in)

3) Shorter race is ~10km and starts at Green Point.

4) You need to have a mobile device and install the mandatory tracking software. A waterproof pouch will be provided with emergency contacts.

5) You will need to apply the sail number provided onto your sail at a heigh approximately above your Boom height so its clearly visible.

6) You will need to register (when the form comes on-line) on the WV site. You will also have to be a WV member or a member of another AWA state body.

7) Payment of the entry fee will be via PayPal through WV. This will be published shortly.

A full briefing will be provided in the sailing rules and notice of race that will be published in the next week. There will also be a recap on the day at the race.

For details you can visit the facebook page @portphillipdw or the website at jerzyfilatow.wixsite.com/home

husa
VIC, 84 posts
29 Jan 2014 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

PortPhillipDW said..

Just to recap on the main points so that the whole thread doesn't need to be read.

1) It will be on the weekend of the 8th / 9th Feb. It will be confirmed 48 hours out.

2) Full race is 30km and starts at Bonbeach (+any additional gybes and tacks you throw in)

4) You need to have a mobile device and install the mandatory tracking software. A waterproof pouch will be provided with emergency contacts.

5) You will need to apply the sail number provided onto your sail at a heigh approximately above your Boom height so its clearly visible.

6) You will need to # (when the form comes on-line) on the WV site. You will also have to be a WV member or a member of another AWA state body.

7) Payment of the entry fee will be via PayPal through WV. This will be published shortly.

A full briefing will be provided in the sailing rules and notice of race that will be published in the next week. There will also be a recap on the day at the race.

For details you can visit the facebook page @portphillipdw or the website at jerzyfilatow.wixsite.com/home

I'm beginning to think this is a whimsical un-thought out event that will possibly never take place. Perhaps it's a way of upping WV memberships, (which worked by the way). The number of times dates have been set, and changed, etc... will it ever eventuate? According to the latest website posting, its now 22-23rd Feb.

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
29 Jan 2014 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

husa said..
PortPhillipDW said..

6) You will need to # (when the form comes on-line) on the WV site. You will also have to be a WV member or a member of another AWA state body.

I'm beginning to think this is a whimsical un-thought out event that will possibly never take place. Perhaps it's a way of upping WV memberships, (which worked by the way). The number of times dates have been set, and changed, etc... will it ever eventuate? According to the latest website posting, its now 22-23rd Feb.

It clashed with the Tri event on the previous date, now its in the clear. With something this size they are just being careful with the safety side and need full vehicle access all along the bay for the pick up vehicles.

Bolster the memberships... I don't think so, just people excited about windsurfing trying to make Victoria the water events state... and this is a good start. If we had four or five Jez's to organize things imagine the stuff we'd get done....
It's all positive!

mathew
QLD, 2045 posts
30 Jan 2014 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

K Dog said..

It clashed with the Tri event on the previous date, now its in the clear. With something this size they are just being careful with the safety side and need full vehicle access all along the bay for the pick up vehicles.

Hmm....

- 2nd Feb - long-course : http://www.challenge-melbourne.com.au/home/race-information/
- 16th Feb - Gatorade : www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?ID=9282
- 23rd Feb - ITU : melbournetriclub.com/general/race-guide

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
30 Jan 2014 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

mathew said..

K Dog said..

Hmm....

- 2nd Feb - long-course : http://www.challenge-melbourne.com.au/home/race-information/

1st-9th Feb: www.stkildafestival.com.au/2014-s2/
Road closure : www.stkildafestival.com.au/2014-s2/page/pages/99

TristanF
VIC, 229 posts
30 Jan 2014 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

mathew said..
Hmm....

Looks like the 23rd is a sprint event, so I'm assuming it's shorter with fewer if any closures. Probably the best date then.

Anyway, the change of date has meant that I can now do the event, so I'm happy.

mr love
VIC, 2352 posts
30 Jan 2014 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Same for me , I was screwed for the 8th and 9th, now I can do it and probably drown!!!

kato
VIC, 3400 posts
30 Jan 2014 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

And I'm out,

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
30 Jan 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Jerzy - I'm having brunch with some friends on 23rd - do you mind if we push it back a week?

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
30 Jan 2014 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..
And I'm out,

You up QLD that weekend for speed week?

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
31 Jan 2014 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Well that counts me out too. Can't keep moving it so close - people make plans. Sorry.

kato
VIC, 3400 posts
31 Jan 2014 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
K Dog said...
kato said..
And I'm out,

You up QLD that weekend for speed week?

Last Tri for the season

Joffa3187
VIC, 37 posts
31 Jan 2014 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Please add to the Main Points posted on the 22.1.2014, What are the forecast requirements needed to confirm the event will run

The Port Phillip DW event has the unique requirement that it can only be held when the conditions are suitable.

To confirm 48 hours out will still require conditions on the day to be suitable, minimum and maximum.

We have a competition window now of two days and await the event committee to make the official call when the event will run.

If the minimum conditions are not met the event cannot be held this season and the process will need to repeat next season.

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
31 Jan 2014 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Joffa3187 said..

Please add to the Main Points posted on the 22.1.2014, What are the forecast requirements needed to confirm the event will run

The Port Phillip DW event has the unique requirement that it can only be held when the conditions are suitable.

To confirm 48 hours out will still require conditions on the day to be suitable, minimum and maximum.

We have a competition window now of two days and await the event committee to make the official call when the event will run.

If the minimum conditions are not met the event cannot be held this season and the process will need to repeat next season.

If the conditions SW > WSW with a high likelihood of a seabreeze cannot be met on the 22/23 then we reserve a contingency date of 01/02 March.

TristanF
VIC, 229 posts
31 Jan 2014 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ginger pom said...
Jerzy - I'm having brunch with some friends on 23rd - do you mind if we push it back a week?

And it's the White Night Festival from 7pm 22nd - 7am 23rd. Can you please make sure the event isn't conducted durin these hours?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Port Phillip Downwinder 2013" started by jermaldan