Forums > Wing Foiling General

400 Hours On Foil: A summer on narrow boards and the search for a perfect surf experience.

Created by BWalnut 7 months ago, 17 Nov 2023
Holoholo
201 posts
5 Dec 2023 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ArthurAlston said..

Holoholo said..
I'm playing with the idea of a mid length / skinny board to use prone in marginal bigger conditions and as an all around wing board, I mostly wing to surf, ride bumps/dw. Local has consistent wind/choppy conditions. I'm kind of indecisive about dims/length/volume. I'm I demoed an omen 5'9"x21.5" x 85L in 15 kgs choppy conditions for about 30 minutes. Had lots of fun although it felt on the heavy side and I didn't have enough time to dial it in.

I'm 95KG and wonder where the sweet spot is on size. Wonder if too much volume will become corky/unstable, want short enough to surf, but not so short to diminish positive characteristics of these boards.

I would optimise for a specific usage (e.g. either prone or wing) and then take things from there. You may be expecting too much from a single board.

Yeah you make a good point for sure- there's always the danger of ending up with a taint of a board that's not particularly good at anything. I'm definitely going to focus on the wing aspect and if I can prone it in micro-surf, that'll be a bonus.

ArthurAlston
NSW, 187 posts
5 Dec 2023 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Holoholo said..

Yeah you make a good point for sure- there's always the danger of ending up with a taint of a board that's not particularly good at anything. I'm definitely going to focus on the wing aspect and if I can prone it in micro-surf, that'll be a bonus.

In that case, based on my experience and your stated use case of an all-around wing board, I would go with body weight neutral literage. And optimise for length starting with the width that you are comfortable with. E.g. I have read some think that the Amos Sultan Wing is too narrow at 18" and they suggest that 20" is better. It's taken me a while to get used to 18" and now I love it. Had my best every session earlier today using the 85L Sultan.

If you want a light wind wing board, I would go with 10 - 20 L over body weight.

Taeyeony
113 posts
6 Dec 2023 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

From my experiences using 7'2" x 18" DW and many broader-and-shorter boards.

As a light wind board, you need +10 to +20L for DW shape and 0 to +10L for wider boards to comfortably slogging back when you can't foil anymore.

And slogging back in 18" board in choppy water is a little energy intensive task than you might expected.

JonahL
54 posts
7 Dec 2023 3:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Holoholo said..
I'm playing with the idea of a mid length / skinny board to use prone in marginal bigger conditions and as an all around wing board, I mostly wing to surf, ride bumps/dw. Local has consistent wind/choppy conditions. I'm kind of indecisive about dims/length/volume. I'm I demoed an omen 5'9"x21.5" x 85L in 15 kgs choppy conditions for about 30 minutes. Had lots of fun although it felt on the heavy side and I didn't have enough time to dial it in.

I'm 95KG and wonder where the sweet spot is on size. Wonder if too much volume will become corky/unstable, want short enough to surf, but not so short to diminish positive characteristics of these boards.

I'm around your weight (94kg) and have a 5'10" x 20 1/2" 80L that that I use as my everyday wing board in all conditions. It is super fun and I have not found any downsides vs my previous 5'0" x 22". It is easier to get up in heavy chop using a sideways stinkbug and takes off a lot earlier. It also handles breach touchdowns and landing jumps better with the extra nose length. I've been proning it a bunch recently and it goes really well, paddling around the lineup is way less work and catches waves easier. I can't duckdive it at that volume so that is one downside as a prone board, but overall it's really fun and I think my next dedicated prone board will be similar length but just a bit thinner and narrower, maybe 60L or so.

Volume wise, I think 80 is pretty much right, I might go lower volume if I was someplace with steady filled in wind all the time or more volume if dealing with marginal conditions a lot. Where I live it's generally pretty windy, but the cove where I launch and finish waverides is always light/gusty so being able to slog to the windline is important.

omg
280 posts
7 Dec 2023 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

I have the smallest Armstrong DW board for winging, +5 Liters without wetsuit etc. but with the cold weater gear on, it's 0L for me. However, at 18 3/4" and 6'3, it's perfect for me. I just rode it at 40 knots wind with 2,5m wind overpowered, however, the board itself was fine, and I'm still amazed how agile it is and so little swing weight. Brilliant board! Of course only for waves, and no jumping.

And for LW it's very good when pumping hard to get on foil, but the difference to similar volumed "normal" board is significant.

boardsurfr
WA, 2270 posts
7 Dec 2023 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

I'm not (yet) on a narrow board, but I find this discussion highly enlightening and, I must say, quite amusing. It does remind me on my early days learning to windfoil. I loved the sessions on the 11.6 ft long and narrow SS Flyer, but really did not care for the much shorter and fatter typically windfoil boards. Compared to DW boards, the Flyer is fat and very long, but it shares the general idea of going faster with less resistance. I thought it was just my love for longboards that made me like the Flyer, but I stand correctly.

I wonder how the trend to longer, narrower boards will play out for total beginners and balance-challenged intermediates. At some popular spots (like Kalmus on Cape Cod), some of the balance challenges come from chop, especially when the wind drops as it often does. While still taxiing and crashing a lot, I'd assume there's a limit how narrow a board can be before it becomes counter-productive?

Taeyeony
113 posts
7 Dec 2023 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

I think 18" is the narrowest the foil board can be. The limiting factor may not involve the balance but the space for foot placement.

The board narrower than 22" is not good for learning in my opinion. It rolls too easily and they won't be able to pump it up in 10kn anyway.

IvorWindeas
WA, 109 posts
14 Dec 2023 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I find this all very true. Like many people recently I've been trying to learn to SUP downwind foil on a long, skinny board- 7'4 and 20 inches wide. Its hard work, and frustrating wobbling around, falling off again and again. Trying to paddle up can be exhausting. When I've had enough of the learning pain, I go in, switch the front foil to a small one, pump up a small wing and go whizz around to put a smile back on my face., so easy to get up on foil and so much fun.

NordRoi
629 posts
14 Dec 2023 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

I suspect going under 22" inches is for advanced DW needing to hop on a swell with a super small foil where all glide and speed is required. With a wing and foil bigger than a 1000cm2 i doubt it's a requirement.

BWalnut
307 posts
14 Dec 2023 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

I undoubtedly think narrow is better for winging, not just DW. At neutral to negative buoyancy my PR was riding in lulls all the way down to 5 knots on the 5'3"x22" this year. This was on an 1150 foil.

I would have to disagree about slogging and balance. There's a lot of different hull shapes that can make slogging and balance harder, but the narrow shapes I like have all been completely fine to balance on and the slogging is FAR better on a narrow/dw board than a old style shape. If you get a rounded hull like the dragonfly though, terrible for balance IMO.

NordRoi
629 posts
14 Dec 2023 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Would you be better on a 5'3x18" ?

BWalnut
307 posts
15 Dec 2023 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NordRoi said..

It would take off better, but I wouldn't want to go that narrow. The required thickening of the board is a significant negative IMO. It pushes you farther away from the foil and changes your surf experience. My experience so far has told me that boards under 20" are really benefitting the actual DW paddle community. My wing boards will probably stay in the 20-22" range and get stretched out a little longer with shifted volume distribution so that they can stay thinner and keep my surfing at the forefront of the experience. Even my 5'3"x22" is so much more efficient than any other average wing board on the market that I think 99% of riders would be happy with it.

SpokeyDoke
130 posts
15 Dec 2023 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

Some interesting analysis here, even though in the context of Foil Drive...but its all about getting up easy with different board designs/dimensions...

NordRoi
629 posts
16 Dec 2023 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BWalnut said..

NordRoi said..

Even my 5'3"x22" is so much more efficient than any other average wing board on the market that I think 99% of riders would be happy with it.

i think we are saying the same thing!

BWalnut
307 posts
16 Dec 2023 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NordRoi said..

BWalnut said..

NordRoi said..

Even my 5'3"x22" is so much more efficient than any other average wing board on the market that I think 99% of riders would be happy with it.

Just don't write off the under 22" boards for winging! Being able to ride small foils and small wings is great. Also being able to get on foil quickly when tired after lots of falls on a big day in the water is really nice too.

Sideshore
280 posts
22 Dec 2023 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BWalnut said..

NordRoi said..

BWalnut said..

NordRoi said..

Just don't write off the under 22" boards for winging! Being able to ride small foils and small wings is great. Also being able to get on foil quickly when tired after lots of falls on a big day in the water is really nice too.

As I've seen many cases in which we need to go to both extreme cases before getting a middle good compromise, I guess that an small similar increase of performance could also be achieved on moving from a very wide board (29") to a moderate one (25"), increasing the length, right? Of course the best horses for light wind must be the narrow and long DW boards, but I'd prefer to go step by step, I wingfoil in choppy conditions.

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
22 Dec 2023 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

This is interesting. Most agree that narrow is better.
I agree that they pop on foil easier but to me that's where it all ends. I like foiling in the surf and jumping. Narrow is not better, short, around 5', 22 wide, thin and super light is definitely better. Narrow boards are thicker or longer to keep volume. Both make you lose feel over the foil.but again agree than in light wind and flat water they are super efficient. Not for me, had one and sold it. But you definitely can use a smaller foil and wing.

MilesH
151 posts
23 Dec 2023 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

If you had (say) a 5'4 long x 23' wide board and added extra length to the rear (creating a pin tail) making it a 6' long board would it give you the benefits of earlier lift due to it being a longer board; but feel the same in the air as the extra length is behind you?

boardsurfr
WA, 2270 posts
23 Dec 2023 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MilesH said..
If you had (say) a 5'4 long x 23' wide board and added extra length to the rear (creating a pin tail) making it a 6' long board would it give you the benefits of earlier lift due to it being a longer board; but feel the same in the air as the extra length is behind you?

Without any changes to the front, the benefits would be small. You'd get some small improvement from less turbulent water flow at the back of the board, and a separate improvement from the added volume in the tail, which would reduce how deep the board is in the water (the projected area in the water, seen from the front). But those improvements would be small, and perhaps barely noticeable.
For a larger difference at a fixed width, you'd need to change the shape at the nose to make it more "wave piercing", but that would usually require additional length at the front.

BWalnut
307 posts
23 Dec 2023 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MilesH said..

Yes. The difference is quite a bit too. I have a 5'3"x22" kalama and am testing 5'10"-6'3" boards that are at 20" and the speed and takeoff difference is HUGE. I consider my 5'3" to be quite efficient in comparison to the average wing board. I consider the 6'3" that I just had built and tried to be somewhat comical in how fast it takes off.

BigZ
173 posts
23 Dec 2023 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BWalnut said..

MilesH said..

Yes. The difference is quite a bit too. I have a 5'3"x22" kalama and am testing 5'10"-6'3" boards that are at 20" and the speed and takeoff difference is HUGE. I consider my 5'3" to be quite efficient in comparison to the average wing board. I consider the 6'3" that I just had built and tried to be somewhat comical in how fast it takes off.

Something like that. 6'2x20 ;)

BWalnut
307 posts
23 Dec 2023 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BigZ said..

BWalnut said..

MilesH said..

Something like that. 6'2x20 ;)

I approve this shape and dims haha!

zimboflyman
20 posts
23 Dec 2023 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Really appreciate the massive writeup and insights - thanks!As you move from wider boards / larger foil combo to narrower board / smaller foils, can you give us an idea on how it feels / learning curve?I guess i'm asking if its more difficult to ride smaller foils and narrower board coming from bigger ones.

I'm 65kg riding 95Litre 6ft x 28'' board and 1900 foil - up riding both directions and sometimes making my jibes, but don't enjoy the hard work (lack of technique -haha ) of tryna get off the water in lighter winds, so super keen to go more narrow and downsize the foil and wing to save my shoulders.
But maybe I need to improve more before changing down? - something like a Kalama e3 5'9'' x 22.5" sounds appealing as heck, but might be biting off too much?

boardsurfr
WA, 2270 posts
23 Dec 2023 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zimboflyman said..
i'm asking if its more difficult to ride smaller foils and narrower board coming from bigger ones.

Very good question, I'd love to see some answers, too. I only have experience with going from larger to smaller foils on the same wide boards, and smaller are definitely easier in chop. More efficient foils can be smaller than typical beginner foils for the same take off speed on wider boards, but I there were some reports here indicating that the difference is even larger with narrower boards.

DWF
601 posts
23 Dec 2023 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zimboflyman said..
Really appreciate the massive writeup and insights - thanks!As you move from wider boards / larger foil combo to narrower board / smaller foils, can you give us an idea on how it feels / learning curve?I guess i'm asking if its more difficult to ride smaller foils and narrower board coming from bigger ones.

I'm 65kg riding 95Litre 6ft x 28'' board and 1900 foil - up riding both directions and sometimes making my jibes, but don't enjoy the hard work (lack of technique -haha ) of tryna get off the water in lighter winds, so super keen to go more narrow and downsize the foil and wing to save my shoulders.
But maybe I need to improve more before changing down? - something like a Kalama e3 5'9'' x 22.5" sounds appealing as heck, but might be biting off too much?

Your current gear is so grossly oversized, it's making everything harder. So much drag from the pig board and pig foil. Your setup is for first few days of learning, not for someone who is already having some success at jibes.

The rush to tiny foils would be wrong until you can jibe 100% AND switch your feet 100%. You need the on-foil stability of a bigger foil to learn the basics first. That being said, a 1900 foil is more than you need for getting to that point.

You can go to a narrow and longer board now. The learning curve of dealing with climbing aboard a narrow unstable board is very short. Not a big deal at all. Once you get the hand wing into your hands, the board becomes very stable, because it starts moving through the water very quickly. It's also very easy to get to your feet on these boards. Length makes them forgiving, speed makes them stable.

I saw some leaked info on Cabrinha's 2024 boards. They have a full line of narrow mid length and long boards. The whole industry is racing to jump on this bandwagon.

BWalnut
307 posts
24 Dec 2023 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
zimboflyman said..

I can't tell you how many people came to me with the same problem, riding a big foil and struggling on jibes while riding a big board.

First thing I did for everyone is let them switch from their big foils down onto my fs1150. Probably 95% of people came back screaming "I have to buy this!!!!" My buddy even was a test rider from me, he took a 1900 out for two sessions to learn (his first two sessions ever) and then switched to my fs1150. He went from barely able to ride and breaching to doing full reaches on foil right away. Only 1 guy all year didn't jump on the 1150 after trying it and TBH it was an ultralight day and he was very new so it made sense that he wasn't blown away.

I, myself, was bouncing back and forth between a 1210 and a 1500 (I learned on the 1500) and I was not progressing at all. I had to touch down on all my jibes to switch my feet, it felt impossible to switch in the air and I was kind of over winging to be honest. I would have quit and gone back to kiting if I hadn't broken my ribs to start the season (and couldn't wear my kite harness). Instead of quitting I doubled down and bought the entire Cloud IX fs foil quiver. Switching to the 1150 and 1000 as my new foil combo was life altering for me right out the gate. The 1150, is far superior to the 1000 IMO which is why I have everyone try that foil. The smaller foils will also result in less fatigue and impact on your body when you are up and riding, Believe it or not the drag in the water translates straight into your wrists, shoulders, core, and wears you down.

So yes, size down that foil ASAP. I tell everyone that as soon as you can consistently get up and ride straight (not even jibe) it's time to size down.

For the board: If you had the 8' x 21" kalama that I had it would blow your current board away. Of course, the water start would be easier. Hard to conceive but incredibly valuable to note is that it would also turn better and go upwind better.

IMO your board LENGTH changes the stability of your ride more than the width when you are bobbing in the water. You probably have a 75-85cm mast and if you end up with a medium high aspect foil like the 1150 it creates and insane amount of roll resistance while you are in the water kneeling on the board. So, falling off the side is quite easy to adapt to. The length however, is where you find you'll struggle if you go terribly shorter. 5'9" should not be a hard jump from 6'. My 5'3' x 22" kalama does cause me to fall off the back or over the front in rough seas from time to time though. Never off the side. (try before you buy if possible on the kalama. His track boxes aren't always in the best spots).

The biggest benefit towards your progression in your circumstance with a narrow board is going to be that you will stop worrying about falling. You can fall anytime, anywhere, with confidence that you can easily get back up onto foil without expending a ton of energy. Not being afraid to fall, unlocks progression to the *th level because you just start trying so many more movements on the water! Once you get it sorted and have a smaller wing in hand, if you're like me, you'll be able to foil for 3 hour sessions, without a break, without a harness, for the entire season, pain free. All that saved energy and body stress from the smaller wing allows you to focus on taking more chances on foil, and pushing your progression that much harder.

So yes, size down your board too!

Summary:
You may have a break in period of a day or two to adapt to the new foils/boards but then you are off to the races and will be having more fun than ever.
If you get a narrow board it will allow you to use smaller wings and and smaller foils.
You will save tons of energy while reducing wear and tear on your body.
You'll be inspired to try riskier maneuvers with all of your saved energy.
I would not be afraid of going narrow, I would be concerned about going to short.
I really like the Cloud IX foils with an 8.5 aspect ratio. It's a very user friendly AR.
I like a foil span of 92-99cm for beginners to progress on. This will allow you to roll the foil very naturally, without feeling out of control. Larger spans feel stiff in turns. Smaller spans feel twitchy (but you will progress to them, 77cm is my current favorite).
Add a large tail and long fuse to your quiver. Slap that on to any new front foil to activate the easy button for the first few sessions. Then go back to a medium fuse and a medium or small tail to activate it's full powers.

If you're ever in the Columbia River Gorge don't hesitate to hit me up. I'll have extra boards and foils for you to try!

Last, I'm currently working on two additional write ups to compliment my narrow board post. One will be a year end summary. The other will be a writeup on foils. I'll post them as new topics when I finish them and they will probably give you more info and answer more questions.

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
24 Dec 2023 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BWalnut said..

zimboflyman said..

I can't tell you how many people came to me with the same problem, riding a big foil and struggling on jibes while riding a big board.

First thing I did for everyone is let them switch from their big foils down onto my fs1150. Probably 95% of people came back screaming "I have to buy this!!!!" My buddy even was a test rider from me, he took a 1900 out for two sessions to learn (his first two sessions ever) and then switched to my fs1150. He went from barely able to ride and breaching to doing full reaches on foil right away. Only 1 guy all year didn't jump on the 1150 after trying it and TBH it was an ultralight day and he was very new so it made sense that he wasn't blown away.

I, myself, was bouncing back and forth between a 1210 and a 1500 (I learned on the 1500) and I was not progressing at all. I had to touch down on all my jibes to switch my feet, it felt impossible to switch in the air and I was kind of over winging to be honest. I would have quit and gone back to kiting if I hadn't broken my ribs to start the season (and couldn't wear my kite harness). Instead of quitting I doubled down and bought the entire Cloud IX fs foil quiver. Switching to the 1150 and 1000 as my new foil combo was life altering for me right out the gate. The 1150, is far superior to the 1000 IMO which is why I have everyone try that foil. The smaller foils will also result in less fatigue and impact on your body when you are up and riding, Believe it or not the drag in the water translates straight into your wrists, shoulders, core, and wears you down.

So yes, size down that foil ASAP. I tell everyone that as soon as you can consistently get up and ride straight (not even jibe) it's time to size down.

For the board: If you had the 8' x 21" kalama that I had it would blow your current board away. Of course, the water start would be easier. Hard to conceive but incredibly valuable to note is that it would also turn better and go upwind better.

IMO your board LENGTH changes the stability of your ride more than the width when you are bobbing in the water. You probably have a 75-85cm mast and if you end up with a medium high aspect foil like the 1150 it creates and insane amount of roll resistance while you are in the water kneeling on the board. So, falling off the side is quite easy to adapt to. The length however, is where you find you'll struggle if you go terribly shorter. 5'9" should not be a hard jump from 6'. My 5'3' x 22" kalama does cause me to fall off the back or over the front in rough seas from time to time though. Never off the side. (try before you buy if possible on the kalama. His track boxes aren't always in the best spots).

The biggest benefit towards your progression in your circumstance with a narrow board is going to be that you will stop worrying about falling. You can fall anytime, anywhere, with confidence that you can easily get back up onto foil without expending a ton of energy. Not being afraid to fall, unlocks progression to the *th level because you just start trying so many more movements on the water! Once you get it sorted and have a smaller wing in hand, if you're like me, you'll be able to foil for 3 hour sessions, without a break, without a harness, for the entire season, pain free. All that saved energy and body stress from the smaller wing allows you to focus on taking more chances on foil, and pushing your progression that much harder.

So yes, size down your board too!

Summary:
You may have a break in period of a day or two to adapt to the new foils/boards but then you are off to the races and will be having more fun than ever.
If you get a narrow board it will allow you to use smaller wings and and smaller foils.
You will save tons of energy while reducing wear and tear on your body.
You'll be inspired to try riskier maneuvers with all of your saved energy.
I would not be afraid of going narrow, I would be concerned about going to short.
I really like the Cloud IX foils with an 8.5 aspect ratio. It's a very user friendly AR.
I like a foil span of 92-99cm for beginners to progress on. This will allow you to roll the foil very naturally, without feeling out of control. Larger spans feel stiff in turns. Smaller spans feel twitchy (but you will progress to them, 77cm is my current favorite).
Add a large tail and long fuse to your quiver. Slap that on to any new front foil to activate the easy button for the first few sessions. Then go back to a medium fuse and a medium or small tail to activate it's full powers.

If you're ever in the Columbia River Gorge don't hesitate to hit me up. I'll have extra boards and foils for you to try!

Last, I'm currently working on two additional write ups to compliment my narrow board post. One will be a year end summary. The other will be a writeup on foils. I'll post them as new topics when I finish them and they will probably give you more info and answer more questions.

I agree with you on everything except for the 8' long board. Never tried an 8' but tried a 7' and didn't like the length.
I think they have a life of their own and you lose feel. If you downwind with a wing they are great. You become more aware the moment you go back to a high performance board.they feel so much better.
IMO longer boards go up easy, you can use a smaller wing and foil but you give up a lot of feel and control.the stronger the wind gets the worst they become.

BWalnut
307 posts
24 Dec 2023 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bolocom said..

I agree with you on everything except for the 8' long board. Never tried an 8' but tried a 7' and didn't like the length.
I think they have a life of their own and you lose feel. If you downwind with a wing they are great. You become more aware the moment you go back to a high performance board.they feel so much better.
IMO longer boards go up easy, you can use a smaller wing and foil but you give up a lot of feel and control.the stronger the wind gets the worst they become.

I think we're in agreement actually, you're just referencing something I'm not discussing.

I was responding to Zimboflyman about his 6'x28" board. An 8'x21" barracuda would blow that thing away in every category. I definitely stand by that. I also rode the 8' in 45 knots without issue, but carrying it in and out of the water did suck. He's specifically asking about a 5'9"x22.5" which will also be worlds better than what he is currently riding.

You're referencing your 5'x22" thin freestyle board. For what you specifically want to do, jumps, you are correct, smaller is generally better.

My current board is 5'3"x22" and I don't expect to miss it at all when I switch to my 5'10"x20" that is arriving soon (well, hopefully not!). I surf swell in the river and ocean, not actual breaking waves. I leave my jumping to my kiting. So in my circumstances, the ability to ride a 550-700 foil with a 2.5-3.5m wing every day is more valuable and the losses would be far too significant for me to tolerate to drop down to a 5' board again.

So yes, I think you are correct for your situation, I'm correct for mine, and I think Zimboflyman will be a lot happier with a slightly shorter and significantly narrower board to progress on!

janoj
25 posts
26 Dec 2023 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Lot of good info in this post. @Bwalnut, what's the limit od thickness in a board? Thinking also that narrow and long with some volume needs to be sometimes too much thick. (But not quantified)

Also, do you prefer harder rails than rounded rails? Why?
Thanks!!

BWalnut
307 posts
26 Dec 2023 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
janoj said..
Lot of good info in this post. @Bwalnut, what's the limit od thickness in a board? Thinking also that narrow and long with some volume needs to be sometimes too much thick. (But not quantified)

Also, do you prefer harder rails than rounded rails? Why?
Thanks!!

I wish I could tell you I knew the "limit" on thickness for a board but I haven't captured that number yet. IMO thinner is better, it gives you faster response time from the foil. Same as a shorter vs longer mast would. So, if you are trying to get rail to rail, thinner for sure. You'll see DW riders going as narrow as 17" as well as the Amos Shapes Sultan wing all the way down at 17" but those boards are getting over 6" thick which is a significant negative to me. There is undoubtedly also a point of diminishing returns. You only need the board to be narrow enough to get you up on your favorite foil and favorite wing in your average conditions. If you don't like super small foils, this can be achieved with a much wider than 17" board quite easily.

I, personally, am exploring some of the magic around the 20" width which keeps the board under 5" thick and feels incredibly fast on the water. My new board should be here in a week or two and I'll have another made in the spring so, lots more data coming in.

Hard rails for me. I've always felt as though hard rails release the water easier and result in a board that feels less corky when at a standstill. People tell me that the rounded hull/rail handles touchdowns better but I don't struggle with touchdowns and even if I did, I don't think I would want a board that specifically caters to my mistakes.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"400 Hours On Foil: A summer on narrow boards and the search for a perfect surf experience." started by BWalnut