Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2013 Ozone C4

Created by Big eeeZeee > 9 months ago, 27 Jul 2012
eppo
WA, 9515 posts
4 Oct 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Caney said...
Eppo. Go watch the bandit details on production re: bars.
They look super strong and simple and comfortable. I personally like the ozone bar, and love my race bar. I want something I can rely on when I'm looping my c4 in 30 knots. Not some new shiny plastic and colorful bar that could kill me.

You wonder why people give you thumbs down...

I don't really give two farms about a production video I am talking about functionality. For someone whom loops and rolls on nearly every tack it is a pain in the ass having to I swivels the lines. Maybe you need to increase your repertoire to find this out. Super strong I agree, and a really nice feel, but not being ale to I swivel and a quick release we all had 6 years ago( we're you kiting then?), is just stupid. Not functional. Ooh but they are strong. Good on ya!

eppo
WA, 9515 posts
4 Oct 2012 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Caney said...
They look super strong and simple and comfortable. I personally like the ozone bar, and love my race bar. I want something I can rely on when I'm looping my c4 in 30 knots. Not some new shiny plastic and colorful bar that could kill me.

I don't really give two farms about a production video I am talking about functionality. For someone whom loops and rolls on nearly every tack it is a pain in the ass having to unswivel the lines. Maybe you need to increase your repertoire to find this out. Super strong I agree, and a really nice feel, but not being ale to I swivel and a quick release we all had 6 years ago( we're you kiting then?), is just stupid. Not functional. Ooh but they are strong. Good on ya!

eppo
WA, 9515 posts
4 Oct 2012 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Caney said...

I don't really give two farms about a production video I am talking about functionality. For someone whom loops and rolls on nearly every tack it is a pain in the ass having to unswivel the lines. Maybe you need to increase your repertoire to find this out. Super strong I agree, and a really nice feel, but not being ale to I swivel and a quick release we all had 6 years ago( we're you kiting then?), is just stupid. Not functional. Ooh but they are strong. Good on ya!

walshd
SA, 601 posts
5 Oct 2012 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

If you have an old slingshot bar laying around like I did, you can retrofit the hollow swivel and the CSS line to the ozone bar so the front lines can swivel twist free. Plus you can hook to suicide while still being able to flag out if hooked in.
I could have retrofitted the Slingshot push away quick release but to be honest there is nothing wrong with the ozone QR.

Once done, I fit the Ozone gear onto to the slingshot bar so it is still a functional bar if I ever needed it.

WA, 1255 posts
5 Oct 2012 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

cauncy said...
as for all the bleating about the new bar its better to rig up and rip that way your not mincing around looking at your bar thinking how it could be better, i , we, and you arnt good enough to warrant a better bar

when I repair the dings in my board from those damn bar ends.. I think if the bar had soft ends, it could be better..

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
5 Oct 2012 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

default said...
cauncy said...
as for all the bleating about the new bar its better to rig up and rip that way your not mincing around looking at your bar thinking how it could be better, i , we, and you arnt good enough to warrant a better bar

when I repair the dings in my board from those damn bar ends.. I think if the bar had soft ends, it could be better..

X2. I have trenches and knuckle dents in 3 of my boards from the hard bar ends. Please mr ozone soften up!

Caney
SA, 118 posts
5 Oct 2012 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Caney said...

Roll the other way? Or is a front roll too tough for you?

'i cant untangle my lines' is a weak excuse. If your really worried about it, then as I said, front loop or loop your kite the other way. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Clearly im not the one needing to increase my repertoire here.. Oh and Eppo- The griffin bar is the most flimsy thing i've ever seen. So your incoming 'griffin are the best in the world rant' is TLDR.

I'd prefer to ride a brand that i know will save my life not kill me.

Beersy
TAS, 753 posts
5 Oct 2012 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know biggest size and it's bottom end? Not just lightest wind it can fly in, but how well it flies and turning speed in 10-15 knots? Is bottom end better than it was on the 2010 C4's?

May be needing a new 15m as my regular kite and don't want to move away from C4's but if bottom end performance is not great may need to look at edge or other...

5 Oct 2012 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

What do you weigh and what board do you have to use with a 15M C4? Yes the 2012 C4 was a big improvement in bottom end on the 2010.

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
5 Oct 2012 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...
If you have an old slingshot bar laying around like I did, you can retrofit the hollow swivel and the CSS line to the ozone bar so the front lines can swivel twist free. Plus you can hook to suicide while still being able to flag out if hooked in.
I could have retrofitted the Slingshot push away quick release but to be honest there is nothing wrong with the ozone QR.

Once done, I fit the Ozone gear onto to the slingshot bar so it is still a functional bar if I ever needed it.

Cool...nice I have always thought that those swivels are the way to go, see liquid force have also moved to them this year....How does it effect the weight of the lines is the swivel not a bit low, thinking it might have a bit of weight to it and falcon punch you if you stack and lines got slack...?

Beersy
TAS, 753 posts
5 Oct 2012 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...
What do you weigh and what board do you have to use with a 15M C4? Yes the 2012 C4 was a big improvement in bottom end on the 2010.

65kg, 136x42 nobile NHP (but I hate the board and may upgrade at the same time...)

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
10 Oct 2012 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone put down a preorder yet? Hard to do when you know stuff all about the kite...

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
10 Oct 2012 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...
Anyone put down a preorder yet? Hard to do when you know stuff all about the kite...

Well don't bother its your money and choice ffs

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
11 Oct 2012 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

cauncy said...
Big eeeZeee said...

Well don't bother its your money and choice ffs

You're right for **** sake!

Plummet
4862 posts
11 Oct 2012 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

So much rage regarding the bar. i've been using the same chickenloop since 2008 when it came on my ozone manta snow kite.

They have always released when i needed them too. I enjoy the cheap elastasized replacable safety line. The pu coating on the main line is sweeet and never have problems with depower rope wear. The foam on the bar seems to last a long time.

I'll look foward to a more easily untwistanble center line arrangement. push away safety is no something i hunker for. i've never had a problem with the pull safety.

There.. a happy customer.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
12 Oct 2012 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...
So much rage regarding the bar. i've been using the same chickenloop since 2008 when it came on my ozone manta snow kite.

They have always released when i needed them too. I enjoy the cheap elastasized replacable safety line. The pu coating on the main line is sweeet and never have problems with depower rope wear. The foam on the bar seems to last a long time.

I'll look foward to a more easily untwistanble center line arrangement. push away safety is no something i hunker for. i've never had a problem with the pull safety.

There.. a happy customer.

I agree with everything you have said... but the deal breaker for me is the hard bar ends. They are annihilating my surfboards.It doesn't have to be some huge deer antler, tangle monster. Just cushioned. (a sliding stopper would be handy to fit your leggy as well). I'm not fussed about push away safety either. I would have replaced a whole quiver of reos if they had of upgraded the bar. I know of at least 1 other guy doing the same. They are loosing sales; probably not by people buying other brands; but waiting for the bar to improve. After initially a feeling of lack of bottom end on Ozones (no more); I'm now addicted to the direct feel and everything else I demo feels like crap.

sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
15 Oct 2012 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Sneaky team rider clip featuring the 2013 C4

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
16 Oct 2012 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Frothing!!

sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
16 Oct 2012 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Also noticed that Kitepower now have them on their website with "on sale November 1st" ... mustn't be long now.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
16 Oct 2012 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

hmmm... "completely redesigned"???

looks pretty much the same to me

Plummet
4862 posts
17 Oct 2012 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

Big eeeZeee said...

Its all marketing hype.

WA, 1255 posts
17 Oct 2012 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...
Big eeeZeee said...

Its all marketing hype.

"completely redesigned" -- paint job

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
17 Oct 2012 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

OK, the wingtips are significantly fatter and the aspect ratio looks a fraction lower overall. The arc is definitely changed - a bit flatter through the middle but curvier near the 2nd and 4th struts to bring the wingtips around more C-ishly.

These changes look more significant than the evolution from 2011 to 2012, which was basically some foil tweaks and a very slightly lower AR, so I'd say the complete redesign description is accurate.

I used to do R+D with windsurfing race sails and I can assure you that you can never just change one parameter of a 3D aerofoil, especially one that needs to twist like a kite does. Change one thing and everything else needs to be adapted along the way.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
22 Oct 2012 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

What a load of crap, it's just a new paintjob.

22 Oct 2012 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

wishy said...
What a load of crap, it's just a new paintjob.

One thing it is not is a just a paintjob, but I'll wait to actually ride one until I decide its no better than an already excellent kite.
It will be available for dealers to order any day now and will be available for testing and actual reviews in approx 2 weeks from the order date.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
22 Oct 2012 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

aerodynamics, it may look the same but minor changes can make a huge difference, spitfire pilots used to carry a pair of pliars and would tweek wingtips and rudders with them to fine tune the flying of it, it may look the same but if you havnt ridden it back to back you wouldnt know.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
24 Oct 2012 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds as if they have made changes

ozonekites.com/products/water-kites

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
25 Oct 2012 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

2013 info not up yet, but a quick comparison of the images that I've seen shows significant differences to which I've already alluded.

2011 to 2012 was fine-tuning (and very effective at that).

2012 to 2013 is redesign.

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
25 Oct 2012 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm they've taken it down. Well it has had pretty much a full redesign and it sounds as if construction has been beefed up too

Abesy
WA, 266 posts
29 Oct 2012 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

point 1: why change a great kite, just cause its got some new feature don't make it fly any better or your skill level increase through magic.
point 2: if your unhooking there is no reason to complain about a feature you shouldn't even require (chicken loop release).
point 3: The bar is simple keep it that way!!
point 4: simply hook your leash onto the lines above the loop to prevent it twisting up. the one included in the loop is a joke
point 5: keeping everyone happy never works.
point 6: If u can't handle the current model go buy a cab
point 7: who gives a toss what year model its called

U people need to kite more and winge less. Then u wouldn't need all this safety and ease of use rubbish. Most good riders remove all the saftey buy a decent leash and hook on. You learn to deal with the consequences as u progress and realise most of the safety does nothing in the split secon **** hits the fan and u don't have time to pull or "push" it. raaaaaaaaaaaant over

ps... I didn't know so many pussys rode c4's

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 Ozone C4" started by Big eeeZeee