Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

I love this time of the year 2014 Kites

Created by Addikt > 9 months ago, 26 Jun 2013
T one
NT, 321 posts
10 Jul 2013 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Eppo, i have a spare 135 you can use, wont be back until Fri, but call Jaya, 08113882456, and he will bring it to you (in Sanur). cheers, T

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
10 Jul 2013 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..
high as a kite said.. Hey Eppo,Are you in Sanur yet?Whats the winds like? A lot of conflicting forecasts out of that region as usual
... hey Ian, couple of our crew there already and its been going off in the last week, apparently around 20 to 25 knots. We'll be there this saturday and unfortunately forecast dropping off for a bit on Tuesday but coming back Wednesday!!! Dunno but I can't wait!! cheers for now, Robbie

Ahhhhhhhhhh, still best part of 2 weeks before I get there.
It will be great to wake up to some warmth. We've had 1 degree below zero mornings down here, reaching 12 / 13 during the day. I guess the 7 meter seas & 20 > 35 knots make up for it though.
Looking forward to a bit of sun for a change.

Hope some of the crew are still around when I get there.

Hey Robbie, Make sure you get rid of all those snakes before I get there

Hey Tony, Did you get your rigging for your yacht / sail it to Bali? can't wait to see it.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
10 Jul 2013 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said..

Puetz said..

high as a kite said.. Hey Eppo,Are you in Sanur yet?Whats the winds like? A lot of conflicting forecasts out of that region as usual

... hey Ian, couple of our crew there already and its been going off in the last week, apparently around 20 to 25 knots. We'll be there this saturday and unfortunately forecast dropping off for a bit on Tuesday but coming back Wednesday!!! Dunno but I can't wait!! cheers for now, Robbie

Ahhhhhhhhhh, still best part of 2 weeks before I get there.
It will be great to wake up to some warmth. We've had 1 degree below zero mornings down here, reaching 12 / 13 during the day. I guess the 7 meter seas & 20 > 35 knots make up for it though.
Looking forward to a bit of sun for a change.
Hope some of the crew are still around when I get there.
Hey Robbie, Make sure you get rid of all those snakes before I get there
Hey Tony, Did you get your rigging for your yacht / sail it to Bali? can't wait to see it.

... we'll still be there then, no worries, and definetely gunna be no snakes this time, I've asked for a room upstairs this time!!!

Tone's rig hasn't arrived so no giant sup coming but other mate in mono hull still going, probably get there around when you get there. He's gunna bring some extra kites and boards for us too!

Damn, 1 degree nights,,,, we complain when we get 23 degrees at night brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

See you there,

Robbie

T one
NT, 321 posts
10 Jul 2013 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

yeah, as above, Rig leaves Sydney today or tomorrow, so just ran out of time, should be good for Sumbawa tho ;-)
cya in a coupla weeks...
ps - sorry about the thread hijack!

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
10 Jul 2013 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Mmmm bintang good....mmmmm and yeh back to 2014 kites. Said on other post, saw one of those strutless or one strut or something Airush kite out today. Weird looking thing, guy was going alright but I was not convinced about the rigidity of the canopy, deforming etc over the whole wing, only subtle but their nevertheless. Not sure about it hey

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
11 Jul 2013 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

... tried the Naish Draft 17m a few times now.... the short review is, it isn't my cup of tea!

Slightly longer: The faster I got with it, the heavier the bar got. I don't mind a heavy bar but after 10 minutes or so racing around you get tired of pulling the bar in but if you relax, power disappears. For example, on my kites if you wanna relax, let the bar rest on the stopper but be prepared for a little less pull, but the Draft looses most of the power, causing you to come off the plane. Not only do you loose power but steering is heavier and delayed. Is this a bow kite thing??? I figure you got to ride around with speed all the time with this thing but if the wind drops a little every thing gets slow and heavy.

I think they tried to make it feel direct steering but ended up making it really too heavy (relative to other kites I have tried) almost circa 2007 or 2008 bow kites. Bridles make the kite feel soft and delayed or spongy you could call it. So for me its way too much bow kite style.

There is one stand out performance though, and that is it wanted to jump well and has good hang. Having said that, 10 minutes of jumping around and you need a rest.

I tried it on a Sector and a big surf board but yet to try it on a twin tip so it may be completely different performance with a tt edge allowing it to fly differently. Dunno yet???

Construction of the kite is outstanding by the way and one of the nicer looking kites out there so its not all bad.

Until I try it in different winds and different boards, I can't say if its a goood or bad kite yet, just not my cup of tea!!

cheers,

Robbie

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
12 Jul 2013 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said...
... tried the Naish Draft 17m a few times now.... the short review is, it isn't my cup of tea!

Slightly longer: The faster I got with it, the heavier the bar got. I don't mind a heavy bar but after 10 minutes or so racing around you get tired of pulling the bar in but if you relax, power disappears. For example, on my kites if you wanna relax, let the bar rest on the stopper but be prepared for a little less pull, but the Draft looses most of the power, causing you to come off the plane. Not only do you loose power but steering is heavier and delayed. Is this a bow kite thing??? I figure you got to ride around with speed all the time with this thing but if the wind drops a little every thing gets slow and heavy.

I think they tried to make it feel direct steering but ended up making it really too heavy (relative to other kites I have tried) almost circa 2007 or 2008 bow kites. Bridles make the kite feel soft and delayed or spongy you could call it. So for me its way too much bow kite style.

There is one stand out performance though, and that is it wanted to jump well and has good hang. Having said that, 10 minutes of jumping around and you need a rest.

I tried it on a Sector and a big surf board but yet to try it on a twin tip so it may be completely different performance with a tt edge allowing it to fly differently. Dunno yet???

Construction of the kite is outstanding by the way and one of the nicer looking kites out there so its not all bad.

Until I try it in different winds and different boards, I can't say if its a goood or bad kite yet, just not my cup of tea!!

cheers,

Robbie

And did you find that there wasn't much difference between its ride settings or did you just ride in on the standard out the bag setting?

The5MetreKid
QLD, 179 posts
12 Jul 2013 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Seen a few leaks...

2014 Slingy Bar

2014 Fuel (not much changed by looks of it??)

Strutless kite from Liquid force aswel! (odd colours!)

2014 Airush team series will be released on monday! (Heard some major changes to the live wire to come!)
(heres the 2014 team series teaser)

flyinglocke
SA, 27 posts
13 Jul 2013 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

I´m driving now to the PKRA Germany in Sankt Peter-Ordingen, there are all brands with their new 2014 Stuff
Webcam: http://www.st.peter-ording-nordsee.de/webcams.html?liveview=1

tomorrow I will post some pictures on Facebook from my supporter .
If I have some time I`ll post it here too, but I hate it with my Smartphone in forums. It`s much easier there.

Mostly Cabrinha Stuff but maybe some other brands

Otherwise look here
www.facebook.com/You.Love.It.eu

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
13 Jul 2013 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shane75 said..

Puetz said...

cheers,

Robbie

And did you find that there wasn't much difference between its ride settings or did you just ride in on the standard out the bag setting?

... straight out of the bag, didn't notice any adjustments I could make. I did try it with 4m extensions too, same feel.

I guess I should try add a stopper ball, I seem to remember Naish make one you can fit over the chicken loop rope, not sure, anyway, with a stopper ball I can let the bar rest on it and hold a bit of power, giving me a rest. The bar supplied was the 'above bar depower' with 2 T piece handles and standard 4 line 24m long.

The kite flies really wide and flat and as you pull the bar in it seems to go wider. When viewed from underneath, it looked about the same size (projected area) as a 19m Edge, and bigger than a Dyno 18m, too close to call it!

I put my old Dyno and Draft flat on the ground to compare sizing and it looked very close in size, barely a 1/4 m2 either end so I would guess its flat size is 17.5m (provided my Dyno is exactly 18m), bugger all in it anyway .

Turn speed is quicker on the Draft but has higher bar pressure compared to Dyno. The Edge is much quicker and lighter.

here are a couple of pics:

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
13 Jul 2013 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Not much in it hey, wider wind tips, with different bridling might explain the higher pressure. Just guessing though don't really claim to know anything about that technical side of things. Edge bar pressure is very light. I have it on the middle setting mostly so I get a little more feedback, find the lighter bar pressure to light. The zephyr just right. man I have some ****ing awesome sessions in Bali on it, just lot free riding out back, my own playground, with a few directional goof bags coming out for a bit now and then and doing wicked bottom turns..ooo yeh man!

Robbie, get you on the zephyr while ya hear if it hits the upper teens. But don't wreck it ya big bastard!

Drewm
VIC, 159 posts
14 Jul 2013 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

And people think north graphic designers are on acid? How's that switchy!!

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
14 Jul 2013 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Heard today 12m switchblade $2500.00 way to price yourself out of an already tight market.

ex
WA, 50 posts
14 Jul 2013 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drewm said...
And people think north graphic designers are on acid? How's that switchy!!

Only the die hard cab user could live with that. Butt Ugly!! What a shame as they have been making decent kites.

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
14 Jul 2013 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

2014 catalog, switchy other colors are not as bad as that one.

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
14 Jul 2013 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

ENVY ?

Vegas ;)

flyinglocke
SA, 27 posts
15 Jul 2013 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

sry guys, but the internet connection was f***ing bad !

Pete introduced the 2014 Cabrinha Range

Religion

Surfboards RRD

Best 2014 Footpads/straps

Best mega valve!

meet Pete / Board: Five10

Cab Overdrive Bar 2014

Cab. Drifter 2014 Colors real

Trigger

Race

Switchblade Wildcard

2014 Bar

Squad

Ruben gived soe Productinformation / BEst

more or all: www.facebook.com/You.Love.It.eu

flyinglocke
SA, 27 posts
15 Jul 2013 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Cabrinha 2014 Range Catalog full size:

but in german !

comandor
8 posts
15 Jul 2013 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

2014 Aboards Z-series... I got mine

Thanks mate, first picture i see of the new Z !
After five years on the Z, i only found two other boards i really liked : the Goldenboard ( french brand) , and the nobile t5.

I sold my Z 2010 in 2012 to get the Nobile T 5 2012...and i want to come back to a new Z! The nobile is great, but i start better in low wind with the Z...

I m always surprised to see that the aboards brand is not so famous! Less expensive than main of the famous ones (x ride, trax, jaime...) and so much better and comfortable!

Peelgeo
WA, 36 posts
15 Jul 2013 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks flyinglocke, I have been trying to get some info on the new cab gear, good work!

What is the go with the Overdrive bar?
-Is this an adjustable bar in the traditional terms i.e. purely based on bar length increasing the range of one bar up to 16cm (decreasing the amount of bars needed for a quiver). Is cab still doing the 65,55,48,42 cm bar?
-or is it more of an adjustement type setting i.e. "overdrive" as the cab advertisement says. Is this just a type of on-the-fly steering line adjustment system?

Also I see they are offering a 5'11 for the subwoofer this year...sweet i need the extra volume.
The hollow octagon pad pieces on the boards look like they would rub like **** when surfing and the more edges the more likely a pad is to peel? All specualtion of course, guess I'll have to wait to demo this board!

flyinglocke
SA, 27 posts
15 Jul 2013 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

You can change the bar size in the water / by riding.
Its very easy, you have Tod pull a small line and you can switch to small er or bigger one.

I tested the squad,skill, xcalibre ,drifter and switchbalde.
Kites are much faster as last year, The new Direct line setting with a V is good. Safty hie? about one centerline !

Yves
WA, 134 posts
15 Jul 2013 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

With the Y length change, is the new bar still backwards compatible with old (pre '14) kites?
And can the '14 kites fly on the old bars ('13 and older)?

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
16 Jul 2013 2:05AM
Thumbs Up

NO MORE FLURO,

Thank you

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
17 Jul 2013 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

2014 Wave - more sizes (12,9,7,6,5) & now made with TechnoForce D2.

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
17 Jul 2013 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Does it still come with 35 pulleys?

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
17 Jul 2013 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

No, they have reduced the pulley,s down to 8

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
18 Jul 2013 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

The same only better......

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
18 Jul 2013 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Cool Best got rid of the two strap thingo, love the above bar single cleat, wonder what LF have for us....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"I love this time of the year 2014 Kites" started by Addikt