NSW, 551 posts
27 Jun 2013 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Well I don't. Bring on summer.

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
27 Jun 2013 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

COL you just grumpy cos Kevin 07 is back ;)

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
27 Jun 2013 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
30 Jun 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Flysurfer just gone LEI

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
1 Jul 2013 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Have you seen the proposed price!!!! Stupid price for a first gen kite.

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
1 Jul 2013 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting... is that a bridle on the trailing edge?

Chris_M
2129 posts
1 Jul 2013 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

No, what's the proposed price?

Also, are those struts not quite going all the way to the trailing edge?

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
1 Jul 2013 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

1300 to 1600 Euro!!

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
1 Jul 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

So no pulleys just "special sliders" to improve direct feel is the tech blurb, promo video they look like a boosting machine you would think that being flysurfer that would have to be a characteristic by default.....

geloof68
54 posts
2 Jul 2013 3:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

Also, are those struts not quite going all the way to the trailing edge?

You're right, 3/4 strut & 1/4 batten

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
2 Jul 2013 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Mmm always question a canopy that needs battens for stability.

WA, 1255 posts
2 Jul 2013 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

and check out the length of all those bridles!

man, I hate long bridles

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
2 Jul 2013 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said..

Mmm always question a canopy that needs battens for stability.

The Battons behind the strut are nothing to do with stability. They are part of the Adaptive airfoil.
This from their website-

Adaptive Airfoil

Profile adjustment – exactly when you want it – this is the idea behind the Adaptive Airfoil System. Every sailor trims his sail with increased bow in lighter winds and flatter for stronger winds. Airplane wings adjust their flaps. Previously, leading edge inflatable kites were limited to one profile only. The Cronix makes it possible for the first time to adjust the profile of the kite during flight. This is possible through a minimalistic trailing edge bridle which has large effect. Especially noticeable on the excellent low end of the Cronix. A knot system on the kite quickly adjusts the amount of effect the trailing edge bridle has on the kite. But that is not the only advantage: Increased control of the trailing edge also helps enormously with relaunch, whether in light winds or by reverse launch.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
2 Jul 2013 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

although I am not a fan of complex bridle setups, its easy to see how far kite performance has progressed since bridles were introduced to lei kites. It makes sense to me that a bridle on the trailing edge working in tandem with the bridle on the leading edge could potentially offer huge performance increases. I am open minded about the concept and applaud flysurfer for this potential innovation. With their pedigree in bridled foil kites they are the right company to develop this idea . It may turn out to be a gimmick, or we may be all flying kites like the cronix in 5 years. time will tell i guess.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
2 Jul 2013 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh have to agree Bonnie I'm secretly excited actually. Have had fly surfer foils before, they make a very good kite but until now they were foils! Although the light wind potential of them has always been there. Yeh be good to adjust the canopy like that especially for those of us that have been around too long! lol,

Thought I'd have a north seller bite....ha ha got ya!!

Eaglelad
VIC, 119 posts
2 Jul 2013 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

I call gimmick, leading edge shape is far more important to the amount of lift a highspeed airfoil can create. But to start getting into all the nuances we would have to start a new topic.
I think the trend of kites having a wider wind range will continue and is necessary for recreational users (its happened in sailing and windsurfing with roachy/square top shapes) but high performance users will always need a quiver with no compromises

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Jul 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

2014 Reo, for those that missed it on another thread.
Too much white to get dis-colored IMO.

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
3 Jul 2013 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Not that new but version 2 of the switch gear and the boards are available now, personally I would like to see the bars get a makeover..... ;)

flyinglocke
SA, 27 posts
3 Jul 2013 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

9 days left for presentation of the 2014 Cabrinha products at the PKRA in Sant Peter Ordingen / Germany

Maybe the 2014 Drifter

Screenshots from Deep Water (at the end) with Reo Stevens

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
3 Jul 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

2014 Aboards Z-series... I got mine

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
6 Jul 2013 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Just got an email from one of the LF NRG designers. What he told me sounded very promising. If I made a list on the things that needed changing and improving from 2013 (which I didn't but if I did), they have covered them all and more. Now that is a kite I will be demoing.

Will also be interested to try the RRD obsession this year. Reviews to come. Yeh great time of year for sure.

zarb
NSW, 620 posts
6 Jul 2013 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

So which manufacturers do their reveal at Mauritius these next few weeks? I am eagerly awaiting some info!

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
8 Jul 2013 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

I'm pretty optimistic about the new flysurfer models. (and I'm not saying it because I fly foils, I don't and haven't for about 8 years) i think they actually have some good potentially for expanded range on kites, mainly around the low end.

The big issue in the past is grunty kites had slow turning speed. I think this offers the potential to have both grunt and turning speed although my suspicion is that when you take advantage of the extra low end, the kite won't be as efficient and it won't have the same upwind ability.

My guess at this point is that kite performance will probably be:

8m flysurfer will be as grunty as a 10m grunty LEI (lets say a switchblade)
Same turning speed as an 8m
Same topend as an 8m
Not as good upwind as a 10m grunty LEI

I do think the advantage of the tuning with the bridle on the trailing edge is that you could have the ability to create a true all rounder which can be tuned to different styles of riding and conditions. I.e. Tune it to stay back in the window or sit foward or inbetween. It won't be perfect in these conditions but has the potential to be better than the current all rounders.

Of course, the devil is in the demo so it would be interesting to see what they are really like. I always treat shop and team rider demos with an element of scepticism and I'm not sure whether the existing riders (who fly foils) would offer much help either as the move from foil to LEI is likely to also effect their opinion.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
8 Jul 2013 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I'm looking forward to hearing reviews about the fly surfer option. But at 1600 euro for a 10, crazy!

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
8 Jul 2013 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Yes I'm looking forward to hearing reviews about the fly surfer option. But at 1600 euro for a 10, crazy!

From Briskites:

Flysurfer $2379.00 for a 10m
North Rebel $2229.00 for a 10m

Those are full retail not discounted. Obviously the Rebel is getting discounted now because there is a new one coming out.

The projected on the 10m is supposed to be the same as a North Rebel 2m bigger so in reality, the pricing is actually on a par because the 12m goes for $2329.

If it also has the range and versatility, an extra 2m range on two kites effectively cover 3 kites with 2 so if you could get away covering the same range with 2 kites, you save yourself the cost of 1 kite.

The other thing is 4m gaps have alway been tough to cover with kites but with a bigger range its more comfortable.

Of course, thats assuming bigger range, if it's not and it can't match the size of a normal kite 2m larger, then its just plain expensive :)

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
8 Jul 2013 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Comparing price against the retail of north kites mmm

Covering two kites, maybe, but will you be in the sweet spot with the kite over these two kite ranges with one. I doubt it.

Also most retailers have economies of scale and can do better prices than the north price you mentioned. I doubt this will exist with the fly surfers as it is a first gen kite with no circulation. Also my experience with fly surfer (from someone who used to import them, they don't allow for the price difference due to the extra shipping involved to get them down under.

It is an expensive kite I feel full stop especially as an first gen kite.

We will see.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
9 Jul 2013 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

This guy says it better than me.

You are correct...there are some expensive tubes, but these are from established companies with a reputation for good performance and quality control. Also, it is not too hard to demo or find a local kiter who can give some feedback or let you have a go on a (Naish, Best, Core, Cab, Ozone, Airush, LF, F1, SS, RRD ........ etc.)

The Cronix is Flysurfer's first attempt at an lei; I am sure that getting a demo will be challenging and you will not see these at your local launch. So to buy will be somewhat a leap of faith, and that price point does not encourage such a leap.

At this time if you shop around and do a bit of haggling, you can find 2013 gear at 25-30% off and some 2012 gear is going for 40-50% off.

So a $1900 complete set up is going for ~ $1450. Based on that, I think $1500 (10M) would be a good price point. If the kite proves to be awesome Flysurfer can increase the price when they have established a foot hold in the LEI market.

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
9 Jul 2013 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Eppo,
Are you in Sanur yet?
Whats the winds like?
A lot of conflicting forecasts out of that region as usual

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
9 Jul 2013 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said..
Hey Eppo,Are you in Sanur yet?Whats the winds like?

... hey Ian,

couple of our crew there already and its been going off in the last week, apparently around 20 to 25 knots. We'll be there this saturday and unfortunately forecast dropping off for a bit on Tuesday but coming back Wednesday!!! Dunno but I can't wait!!

cheers for now,

Robbie

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
9 Jul 2013 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said..

Hey Eppo,
Are you in Sanur yet?
Whats the winds like?

Yeh man just arrived with my light wind quiver, the zephyr and my cruiser pro crazy fly. I'm gonna be fkn lit of my ass tomoz.

Look for me in the news. Lol

Hey anyone here got a smaller TT?

Ran into jankie and yeh he said its been pretty good, lot better than last year man.

Robbie you here soon man? Pack me a small TT ha ha ha ha

Just had my first nasi goreng, washed it down with a bintang right in the beach and fk me if it wasn't cranking through...though about a late evening session lol! Wife said no! Good on her probably saved my ass.

Brought two cheap scooters over for the kids they are gonna give them to some kids when we leave, found a lady who will braid my daughter hair and all that sht I know nothing about and we are giving them to her kids in return. Cool.

Wife's found a massage parlour where the beach chairs are and a gym which does free excercise sht other stuff I have no idea about as well, but she's happy enough. Good times.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"I love this time of the year 2014 Kites" started by Addikt