Forums > Sailing General

Interesting boats for sale

Created by theselkie > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2018
Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
5 Jun 2024 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

If its at Cat 2, could be a gift. IMO epoxy cedar strip construction is one of the best options out there. Fred Barrett being local is a bonus to sort out compliance stuff.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
23 Jun 2024 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Interesting little yacht. These were featured in the TV series "Howards Way" which was on the ABC. The story line was basically about setting up to build these.

www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/mg-spring-25/mg-spring-25.htm

Woohoo
QLD, 88 posts
23 Jun 2024 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Interesting little yacht. These were featured in the TV series "Howards Way" which was on the ABC. The story line was basically about setting up to build these.

www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/mg-spring-25/mg-spring-25.htm

Some were put into the flotilla charter fleet in Greece.
I had a week aboard one out of Corfu in '92. Nice little boats. Very spacious.

r13
NSW, 1551 posts
23 Jun 2024 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yes Tony's Justine III was the first yacht to win the One Ton Cup with a clean sweep of firsts - he never looked back. I recall admiring the Dubois one tonner Smuggler on the harbour - Joe English had just come out to start working at Treharne Sails.........he was aghast that I had not heard of Justine III.

www.tonycastroyachts.com/Heritage#:~:text=Thankfully%2C%20the%20first%20Tony%20Castro,championship%20of%20it's%20time...

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
4 Jul 2024 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Build a nice aluminium trailer and you're all set.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/395510488415?itmmeta=01J1XAYMT2266V4JRRH4D9VD8M&hash=item5c16431d5f:g:NSQAAOSw0x1mgUu6

Planeray
NSW, 213 posts
9 Jul 2024 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone in TAS know what the deal is with this boat?

yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/costin-31-canting-keel/313016

Seems a steal for the price - is there something wrong with it? Or just a wet boat that's not going to be super popular in colder climes?

JonE
VIC, 270 posts
9 Jul 2024 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Planeray said..
Anyone in TAS know what the deal is with this boat?

yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/costin-31-canting-keel/313016

Seems a steal for the price - is there something wrong with it? Or just a wet boat that's not going to be super popular in colder climes?

On the down side:

1. It's made of kevlar which means that if it you bust it and get it wet it's f****d.

2. It has ply decks which means that they have a shelf life before they get soft.

3. If you break anything it's going to cost massive money to fix.

4. It probably needs the kind of skills to sail it that people asking questions on here (me included) don't have.

On the up side

1. It looks like just about the most fun you could have with your clothes on or off on for 10 grand.

2. You could probably part it out and double your money if you aren't getting stung on marina fees.

3. It still looks like just about the most fun you could have with your clothes on or off on for 10 grand.

If you buy it please pm me to go for a sail.....

Planeray
NSW, 213 posts
9 Jul 2024 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, still scratching my head on the price though. It's a relatively modern 31 footer with a diesel and a bunch of sails. Unless there's some serious problems with it, I think I'd take all of your downsides on the chin.

Heck, even if I paid for it to be transported by road to Sydney it'd still be worth it - although my female crew members would probably moan if there's not a head on board. Apparently the buckets shown don't cut the mustard with them!

JonE
VIC, 270 posts
9 Jul 2024 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Planeray said..
Yeh, still scratching my head on the price though. It's a relatively modern 31 footer with a diesel and a bunch of sails. Unless there's some serious problems with it, I think I'd take all of your downsides on the chin.

Heck, even if I paid for it to be transported by road to Sydney it'd still be worth it - although my female crew members would probably moan if there's not a head on board. Apparently the buckets shown don't cut the mustard with them!

I think it's that rare beast - a boat that is realistically priced. Rather than leaving it sit there for 12 months unsold based on some unrealistic idea like most of the boats on Yachthub, maybe the owner just wants to sell it....

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
9 Jul 2024 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonE said..

Planeray said..

I think it's that rare beast - a boat that is realistically priced. Rather than leaving it sit there for 12 months unsold based on some unrealistic idea like most of the boats on Yachthub, maybe the owner just wants to sell it....

10k for a 30ft keel boat is not realistic, its unrealistically ridiculously cheap imo. Thats the price of a laser dinghy, probably not even a new one.

JonE
VIC, 270 posts
9 Jul 2024 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cammd said..

JonE said..

Planeray said..

10k for a 30ft keel boat is not realistic, its unrealistically ridiculously cheap imo. Thats the price of a laser dinghy, probably not even a new one.

10 year old laser dinghy is about 4K. When you need a new mast it will cost you about 700 for a bottom section and a little bit more for the top section.

when you want a new mast on that boat it will cost you 40 grand.

when you want a new main it will cost you 15 grand

When your laser is sitting in the club yard it will cost you 500 bucks to leave it there for another year.

that boat is probably costing the owner 500 a month in that marina.

cammd
QLD, 3779 posts
9 Jul 2024 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonE said..

cammd said..

JonE said..

Planeray said..

10 year old laser dinghy is about 4K. When you need a new mast it will cost you about 700 for a bottom section and a little bit more for the top section.

When your laser is sitting in the club yard it will cost you 500 bucks to leave it there for another year.

It costs money to own and race yachts, if you think it doesn't your not being realistic are you.

Now for someone wanting to race a 30ft keel boat, unless there is some major problem we are not aware of, that boat is a very very cheap starting point.

JonE
VIC, 270 posts
9 Jul 2024 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cammd said..

JonE said..

cammd said..

JonE said..

Planeray said..

It costs money to own and race yachts, if you think it doesn't your not being realistic are you.

Now for someone wanting to race a 30ft keel boat, unless there is some major problem we are not aware of, that boat is a very very cheap starting point.

So the buyer is all of these things:

1. A pretty good sailor
2. Not really care about winning (20yo design - what do you think that keel and the exotics is going to do to the rating?)
3. Not want to fleet race
4. Not go off shore (need a dunny and some more accommodation for cat 2)
5. Not want to trailer it to any other places / regattas
6. Be ok with a canting keel

How many of those people do you reckon are floating around Tasmania right now looking for a boat?

So the boat plus cost of trucking it to anywhere on the mainland plus the first year's marina fees and expenses is what 30K?

If you make that a "realistic price" - say 30 grand? 40 grand?

Fareast 28's are starting at 60 grand sticker price on Yachthub. For a 6 year old boat. Trailable. Fleet racing (so competitive). Take it anywhere.

Planter
NSW, 61 posts
9 Jul 2024 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe just over it,and want out !?

Andrew68
VIC, 423 posts
10 Jul 2024 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cammd said..

JonE said..

laneray said..

Its amazing what kind of mischief $10K will get you into :

yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/custom/309971

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
10 Jul 2024 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andrew68 said..

Famous yacht that has had a few owners. I would buy it!

Planter
NSW, 61 posts
10 Jul 2024 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Could be fun with a few skiffie mates !?

JonE
VIC, 270 posts
10 Jul 2024 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Bloody hell - syndicate anyone? 10 weeks accomodation and sailing per year in Coffs harbour for 2 grand plus the cost of berthing....

Planter
NSW, 61 posts
10 Jul 2024 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

SEABREEZE SYNDICATE- out on the RAIL ! = Tempting ?
+ has interesting history / great pedigree .

r13
NSW, 1551 posts
10 Jul 2024 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Andrew68 said..

Lydia can provide all the history. A real shame that it has come to $10k - worth a lot more than that.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
11 Jul 2024 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..

Ramona said..

Andrew68 said..

Lydia can provide all the history. A real shame that it has come to $10k - worth a lot more than that.

I've seen it a lot cheaper!

lydia
1796 posts
12 Jul 2024 5:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..

Ramona said..

Andrew68 said..

Built 1982 by a syndicate.
Cold moulded Qld maple ply on laminated frames using the then new WEST System. (One of the syndicate was the importer)
Sold to Melbourne then Sydney.
I brought it in about 1995, had been put away wet so need some love.
Big renovation done at Mooloolaba with legendary Sandy Bauer.
We poured that much thinned epoxy into the boat it will last for ever.
About 1998 did the interior refit in the pics and put in the Vetus.
Went in the deal to acquire Trumpcard in late 1999 so ended up in Hobart for a good few years.
Did heaps of ocean miles in it, never a moment of doubt.
Great club racer still
Someone should save it.
And it is one of the prettiest modern boats ever and wicked quick upwind in light to medium air.

Away at moment but can post the re-build pics in a few weeks.

Chris 249
NSW, 3350 posts
12 Jul 2024 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh, the Woodyard. Great boat even if the rudder couldn't take some idiot hitting a sunfish off Eden at surfing speeds.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
12 Jul 2024 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Viking 30. These Ben Lexcen designed half tonners were popular match racing boats on the Swan River a few years ago. Good value at 10 grand!

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1325520003?campaign=DM579600&utm_content=&utm_source=trigger&utm_medium=crm_email&utm_campaign=eWPD_C1A_2326

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
12 Jul 2024 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Might actually be a 32 not a 35. The 35 footers are worth heaps.

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/southport/sail-boats/nicholson-35/1326260363

lydia
1796 posts
13 Jul 2024 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Not actually a Defiance design 2098

Chris 249
NSW, 3350 posts
13 Jul 2024 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Yah, it's one of the S&S Aqua 30s Syd Fisher built.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
25 Jul 2024 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..
Yah, it's one of the S&S Aqua 30s Syd Fisher built.

Still a good buy and seriously let down by a poor ad. Why have a series of photos the same. Are the S&S Aqua 30's the timber hulls with the fibreglass decks?

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Interesting boats for sale" started by theselkie