Sail the world with me

Created by Trav1979 > 9 months ago, 4 Jul 2015
Bruski068
VIC, 457 posts
25 Jun 2016 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
Flaws, Part IVA of the Income Assessment Act 1936 (Cth) and you just proved the counterfactual by making that post.
And thats before we get to the GST Act and the Crimes Act.
Sorry

nope, I am just putting forward a hypothetical situation in the interest of furthering the discussion at hand, nobody on this website would ever actually do something that could be construed as illegal by the fine boffins at the ATO, they are such nice people their always ready to help out the tax paying subjects of this great land, by making sure that you have correctly and properly payed everything you have to this mighty colonies coffers.

Pratt
NSW, 4 posts
25 Jun 2016 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Oh!! Sir......, is that a fact? in the mean time pour little Trav has disappeared from the last two pages thinking what a bunch of inappropriate comments he is being fed with. After all, he was only trying to pump your experienced brain to find how to achieve his dream, not to reduce his income tax.
Perhaps you could tell him to get his ICC for a start, to avoid paying heavy fines as he travels through some ports, also travel a descent amount of sea miles before taking on a serious crossing.
Is this thread about sailing?????

Bruski068
VIC, 457 posts
25 Jun 2016 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pratt said..
Oh!! Sir......, is that a fact? in the mean time pour little Trav has disappeared from the last two pages thinking what a bunch of inappropriate comments he is being fed with. After all, he was only trying to pump your experienced brain to find how to achieve his dream, not to reduce his income tax.
Perhaps you could tell him to get his ICC for a start, to avoid paying heavy fines as he travels through some ports, also travel a descent amount of sea miles before taking on a serious crossing.
Is this thread about sailing?????

Why tell him that, you Pratt just said it, how about taking your own advice and tell him also, how to go about checking in with customs and quarantine, whenever he enters a new country, or what paper work he will need to give to C&Q, personally I gave him the benefit of believing he has enough common sense to have already found these things out, unlikely I will ever give you this benefit going from your two posts you don't have any...

Bruski068
VIC, 457 posts
25 Jun 2016 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

While I am on the subject no pacific nation or North, Central or South American nation is a signatory to the UN resolution 40 and France is only a signatory to the earlier resolution 14, so no you do not have to have an ICC to sail from the USA to Australia without being fined for not having one, so why tell Trav1979 lies.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
25 Jun 2016 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

This is for you Trav.
A friend is selling his 2006 Beneteau 523 Oceanic Clipper aut of Kastella (Split, Croatia). It is in excellent condition and fitted out to the nines. He is looking for around 265 thousand euros.

Pratt
NSW, 4 posts
25 Jun 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

I do apologize, Bruski, to have tackled you ego. My comment was address to Sir..gallivant as I still can't connect section 117a and g of the Income Tax Regulations 111 to Trav's need of infos. We may as well ask Trav to read a Multi-disciplinary Analysis from Kelvin Holmes. Trav would become knowledgeable about Int'l laws, but he would not know how to make the passage from USA.
As to my previous post, I just did not want to go nuque straightaway. I am also sorry that my sarcasme flew over your head.
Of course I shall tell Trav to sail away from Bahamas before the **** hits the fan, or not to buy a mast self furling main. I shall tell him to connect a haly to the anchor barre when the said anchor is dropped on corral. Of course I shall tell him, who do you think I am?...French? He'll just have to ask the specifics, like we all did a very long time ago.
Relax "Panama Scheme", life is wonderful at sea.
Be good John, you probably are a fantastic person to meet.

Bruski068
VIC, 457 posts
25 Jun 2016 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
This is for you Trav.
A friend is selling his 2006 Beneteau 523 Oceanic Clipper aut of Kastella (Split, Croatia). It is in excellent condition and fitted out to the nines. He is looking for around 265 thousand euros.

Serious question, trying to expand my knowledge of the different types of sailing boat, I always thought that a clipper had to have a mizzen mast, but this picture shows a yacht without a mizzen mast but still called a clipper, could someone please explain to me what constitutes a clipper?

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
25 Jun 2016 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Bruski068 said..

Serious question, trying to expand my knowledge of the different types of sailing boat, I always thought that a clipper had to have a mizzen mast, but this picture shows a yacht without a mizzen mast but still called a clipper, could someone please explain to me what constitutes a clipper?

In this instance the use of the word 'Clipper' is merely a model identifier, nothing whatsoever to do with how it's rigged.

Traditionally a Clipper is one those really fast boats that used to sail all over the place to get there first and get the best cargo. Think 'Catty Sark' and 'Thermopylae'

'

Bruski068
VIC, 457 posts
25 Jun 2016 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

thanks Loose Change, I wish people who name things wouldn't confuse things with naming models after a class of whatever

Bruski068
VIC, 457 posts
25 Jun 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pratt said..
I do apologize, Bruski, to have tackled you ego. My comment was address to Sir..gallivant as I still can't connect section 117a and g of the Income Tax Regulations 111 to Trav's need of infos. We may as well ask Trav to read a Multi-disciplinary Analysis from Kelvin Holmes. Trav would become knowledgeable about Int'l laws, but he would not know how to make the passage from USA.
As to my previous post, I just did not want to go nuque straightaway. I am also sorry that my sarcasme flew over your head.
Of course I shall tell Trav to sail away from Bahamas before the **** hits the fan, or not to buy a mast self furling main. I shall tell him to connect a haly to the anchor barre when the said anchor is dropped on corral. Of course I shall tell him, who do you think I am?...French? He'll just have to ask the specifics, like we all did a very long time ago.
Relax "Panama Scheme", life is wonderful at sea.
Be good John, you probably are a fantastic person to meet.

My ego is pretty laid back really, however when some person comes along looking for an argument, I expect them to bring their own weapons, having an argument with you would just be a mugging, so you go into the ignore category say whatever you want, I for one will not be reading your posts, as I have better things to do with my life than to try and sort out what you are trying to say, by the way I also noticed that you have still not posted one positive thing in answer to any topic, it will be a shame if you do from now on as I will never see it, frankly I can live with that quite easily. goodbye Pratt

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hmmmm.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
26 Jun 2016 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

Pratt
NSW, 4 posts
26 Jun 2016 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

"Panama Scheme",..... please remove that sea sickness patch from behind your ear. er

southace
SA, 4773 posts
26 Jun 2016 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

LooseChange said..

Bruski068 said..

In this instance the use of the word 'Clipper' is merely a model identifier, nothing whatsoever to do with how it's rigged.

Traditionally a Clipper is one those really fast boats that used to sail all over the place to get there first and get the best cargo. Think 'Catty Sark' and 'Thermopylae'

'

How about this one Loosechange the oldest exiting Clipper ever built....love to know how much they are paying for that barge and if they intend on removing it eventually!

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
26 Jun 2016 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

That is the Cutty Sark in Greenwich. In't he? Gorgeous even after the 2007 fire.

Although he might be the oldest, the fastest ever clipper was the 'opium clipper' "Champion of the Sea" with 467nm a day record in 1854. That is 19.46kn per hour, and that is something to think about as the record was standing until 1984 broken only by an 80ft Canadian catamaran.

Those old sea dogs new how to sail!

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
That is the Cutty Sark in Greenwich. In't he? Gorgeous even after the 2007 fire.

Although he might be the oldest, the fastest ever clipper was the 'opium clipper' "Champion of the Sea" with 467nm a day record in 1854. That is 19.46kn per hour, and that is something to think about as the record was standing until 1984 broken only by an 80ft Canadian catamaran.

Those old sea dogs new how to sail!

City of Adelaide, 1864. Oldest surviving hull of a clipper; threatened with demolition in 2010, transported from Scotland to Port Adelaide for preservation in 2014.

Dreadnought
commanded by Capt. Samuel Samuels was considered to be possibly the fastest clipper ship. In 1860 she set a new record for New York to Liverpool of only 9 days, 17 hours. That record has never been surpassed by a sailing ship.

That's a distance 3471nm, the ship must have averaged about 15.5 knots for the entire journey. the Capt. is quoted as saying "She possessed the merit of being able to bear driving as long as her sails and spars would stand."

southace
SA, 4773 posts
26 Jun 2016 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

No that's the City of Adelaide check out the website Adelaide brought it back from Scotland on a barge a year or two ago it looks like Noah's ark when you drive past quite amazing hunk of timber boat!

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
26 Jun 2016 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, there are quite a few records out there for different categories. So at the end we all are right and those chaps who done the job are still heroes.

Ok, it is the Adelaide, my mistake, but who is looking after him? I would not mind to toss a pocketful of change towards the restoration like we did for the James Craig years ago.

Sailing past the restored James Craig just outside Sydney Head two months ago, raised my spirit immensely!

surfershaneA
863 posts
28 Jun 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trav1979 said...
hahaha no scam. Would probably go a Jeanneau 42 or bigger. I would actually need a hand picking the right one. I reckon if i got the purchase right I can almost cover the cost of the year away in the profit on the boat? maybe.

I am 36 live in Sydney and I am recently single after 8 years.

No joke either,

Step 1: Read a heap of books written by adventurous maniacs - and fools - who decided it would be a good idea to sail around the world.

Include the ones written by those with no prior experience. Logic dictates that as they survived to write the tale, something must have gone right?

2: Buy a classic old pedigree "unsinkable" cruiser like a Valiant. Get one fitted out for bluewater cruising that has done recent extended voyages.

3: Point West and go for it. Given the round surface of the earth, East is another reasonable option!

Enjoy!!

surfershaneA
863 posts
28 Jun 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

As a quick example, this is the kind of ship that will significantly increase your chances of keeping on going round-and-round,

www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/make-valiant/model-42/

You will find heaps of other serious options in America that were not designed as basic price point floating caravans.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
28 Jun 2016 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

surfershaneA said..

As a quick example, this is the kind of ship that will significantly increase your chances of keeping on going round-and-round,

www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/make-valiant/model-42/

Nice, just like Volvo's, boxy and cute. One is a tank on the road and the other does it on the water.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Jun 2016 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

some serious mumbo jumbo it here it must be winter everyone is caged up suffocating drinking to much red by the fire.
Board as a piece of red gum
I'm not a winter person
Lin Pardey sail one of these for many years . hers was teak this one Fiberglass
$24000 with a 40 hour Yanmar for a steel sail you could invest the rest sail as long as you like if you looked after it you would have you money returned

cisco
QLD, 12325 posts
29 Jun 2016 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

Also think Bluenose and Gertrude L. Thebaud and the Grand Banks fishing smacks out of New Foundland.

Then there were the grain clippers sailing out of Port Lincoln or Cape Horners as they were known as. Get Alan Villiers book The Set of the Sails for a great adventure read and a great part of Australia's sailing heritage.

Nice bit of history here.

The race file.

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bluenose_vs._Gertrude_L._Thebaud,_Wallace_R._MacAskill,_26_October,_1938.webm

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jun 2016 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Ready about
Jibe Ho

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
29 Jun 2016 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
some serious mumbo jumbo it here it must be winter everyone is caged up suffocating drinking to much red by the fire.
I'm not a winter person
$24000 with a 40 hour Yanmar for a steel sail you could invest the rest sail as long as you like if you looked after it you would have you money returned

Nice Hugh Grant, where is it?

surfershaneA
863 posts
29 Jun 2016 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
I'm not a winter person

My kinda ship nearly within my budget. Nothing better than the safety and stability of a classic heavy displacement long keel cruiser.

Any chance of a link?????

frant
VIC, 1230 posts
30 Jun 2016 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfershaneA said..

HG02 said...
I'm not a winter person

My kinda ship nearly within my budget. Nothing better than the safety and stability of a classic heavy displacement long keel cruiser.

Any chance of a link?????

Think that poor old HG has missed a zero from the price tag!!!!

Yara
NSW, 1273 posts
30 Jun 2016 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

"Clipper"
The term clipper was originally derived from slang in the early 19th century. To "clip it" or to go "at a fast clip" meant to travel fast.

Hence any modern boat can also be a "Clipper"

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Sail the world with me" started by Trav1979