Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4762 posts
8 Jan 2015 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Before and after pic of the chart locker!

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
8 Jan 2015 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

What is it with you and upside down pics? You think that's how they do it in SA, being on the bottom of the country?

southace
SA, 4762 posts
8 Jan 2015 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

It's my iPad it has random decisions sometimes just like me!

Toph
WA, 1817 posts
8 Jan 2015 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Bet it doesn't look like that for long Southace

southace
SA, 4762 posts
8 Jan 2015 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Do you like my engine mounts CISCO or should I change them?

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
8 Jan 2015 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't know you could administer first aid to engine mounts
What was it? A sprained joint?

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
8 Jan 2015 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Ramona said...
andy59 said..

Ramona said..
Put a few fish scales in the cockpit yesterday. Beautiful day at sea with a fair bit of traffic. Several Hobart racers returning to Sydney. All seemed to be motor sailing. The one in the photo is the closest encounter, Kaleesie"'
While I was out I heard on the news of a yacht catching fire on the river near Nowra. For the locals it was near the Paper mill. TV news last night showed the remnants and said it was a 40 footer with a solo 52 year old. Others have said it was an Adams 31 and it was moored next to my yacht for 4 days while I was in SA. Hopefully there will be some follow up info. Apparently he was motoring East from Nowra. I suspect a cooker fire as the fire was pretty intense by all accounts.

[URL= .html]

A fire on board is a nightmare. By the way Ramona thats a nice whisker pole you've got there, Whats it made of?

It's the top section of a fibreglass windsurfer mast, in this case its a red one. The end fittings are just dinghy spinnaker bits. Pick them up from dump recycle yards but you have to be quick. I use them for oars for my tender as well.

Ah ha what an awesome idea. I'll have to copy that

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Jan 2015 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Ive got a roll of that tape here South Ace its really good stuff for protecting threads plus a lot of other uses

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
8 Jan 2015 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Looks like denso tape around the threads of the mounts. That is great.

My only other thought on engine mounts is if you are going to have flexible engine mounts, get the most rigid ones you can find.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
9 Jan 2015 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

They seem to be ridged and I'm not changing nothing.......

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
8 Jan 2015 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

If the engine jumps around at low idle, they are not rigid.

Quote:- and I'm not changing nothing....... That is a double negative which makes a positive and means you will change something.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Jan 2015 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
They seem to be ridged and I'm not changing nothing.......

Yet

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Jan 2015 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

southace said..

What is it with you and upside down pics? You think that's how they do it in SA, being on the bottom of the country?

There bottom dwellers down there L.S. I brought many car loads home the same South Ace the previous owner owner her for 25 years . Ive just about cleared out every thing now.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Jan 2015 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..
lol, Naughty. Get well soon.

I finally got all the basic components of my new windlass system in place. I had the shipwright install the windlass into the deck on the last haul out. Took longer than I expected to run the thick wiring, install the solenoid and circuit breaker. Today I put an extra thick PVC tube from the deck through to the lower storage locker which is now the new anchor locker. At first I ran the tube at a slight angle forward to keep the storage space as clear as possible thinking that the installation instructions about having a vertical drop couldn't be 'that' particular. However, when I compared the angled to the vertical drop (before glassing the tube in) I think the angle may have adversely effected the winding of the rope. I wasn't sure but I thought I'd better make the drop vertical, as recommended. Drilled another hole directly under the windlass and glassed in the tube (in photo it looks angled but it isn't).

Wound all the rope and chain in. Yay!

During this I also did my first chain to rope back splice which was fun.

Next,
- buy working up/down switch (mine's dodgy) and install in cockpit (anyone have any recommendations re best place for this?)
- assess what might be needed to protect the surface of the hatch/deck as the chain runs across it. Maybe some SS sheeting.
- install deck switch/es? Not sure I want a switch on deck so wondering if I can put it inside the anchor locker on deck. However, because the chain runs across the lid I'd need to keep a plastic winch handle somewhere forward so I can change it to free fall to lift chain to open locker to activate the switch. Then when it's up I'd need to do that again to close the lid. Gah, sounds like a hassle. Maybe I don't need switch/es at the bow. Any opinions based on experience???

rog

DR Rog
To me I would be epoxying a 19 mm marine ply reinforcement piece between the anchor winch motor and the deck .Thats what I intend to do to mine
Maybe I'm over reacting not sure

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
9 Jan 2015 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Today I finally [after 18 months] got the AIS to talk to the chartplotter and the chartplotter to talk to the DSC radio!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
9 Jan 2015 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
Today I finally [after 18 months] got the AIS to talk to the chartplotter and the chartplotter to talk to the DSC radio!!

Well done NSW. if you not to busy next year drop by and hook mine up too please

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
10 Jan 2015 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said...

I finally got all the basic components of my new windlass system in place. I had the shipwright install the windlass into the deck on the last haul out. Took longer than I expected to run the thick wiring, install the solenoid and circuit breaker. Today I put an extra thick PVC tube from the deck through to the lower storage locker which is now the new anchor locker. At first I ran the tube at a slight angle forward to keep the storage space as clear as possible thinking that the installation instructions about having a vertical drop couldn't be 'that' particular. However, when I compared the angled to the vertical drop (before glassing the tube in) I think the angle may have adversely effected the winding of the rope. I wasn't sure but I thought I'd better make the drop vertical, as recommended. Drilled another hole directly under the windlass and glassed in the tube (in photo it looks angled but it isn't).

Next,
- buy working up/down switch (mine's dodgy) and install in cockpit (anyone have any recommendations re best place for this?)
- assess what might be needed to protect the surface of the hatch/deck as the chain runs across it. Maybe some SS sheeting.
- install deck switch/es? Not sure I want a switch on deck so wondering if I can put it inside the anchor locker on deck. However, because the chain runs across the lid I'd need to keep a plastic winch handle somewhere forward so I can change it to free fall to lift chain to open locker to activate the switch. Then when it's up I'd need to do that again to close the lid. Gah, sounds like a hassle. Maybe I don't need switch/es at the bow. Any opinions based on experience???

rog

Nice job dr Rog are you thinking of having a switch near the winch and one in the cockpit as well?

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
10 Jan 2015 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

nswsailor said..

yes mine too please

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Jan 2015 2:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..

HG02 said..

nswsailor said..

yes mine too please

And the list will only get longer NSW

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Jan 2015 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

DrRog said..

Next,

rog

DR Rog
To me I would be epoxying a 19 mm marine ply reinforcement piece between the anchor winch motor and the deck .Thats what I intend to do to mine
Maybe I'm over reacting not sure

www.sailnet.com/forums/good-old-boat/36136-installing-anchor-windlass.html

Found this link above might be a good read

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Jan 2015 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

andy59 said..

HG02 said...
Instrument cover so far

Once I get the top epoxied in place today and trim the sides. Ill take it down to the boat along with the hatch cover and see if its trash or treasure
Some one kindly gave me some fiber glass from a recycle bin at a boat building yard

Are you buying new instruments HG
I keep looking for the best/ cheapest option

Hi Andy
I have been looking at a Raymarine I 70 can even pick up some engine data on the screen

www.raymarine.com.au/view/index-id=1250.html

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
10 Jan 2015 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Next,

Nice job dr Rog are you thinking of having a switch near the winch and one in the cockpit as well?

Thanks Andy. Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. I plan on putting an up/down switch in the cockpit under the dodger but where it can be activated whilst peering around the side of the dodger. Then I think I'll put a single up switch (of the foot switch type) on the back horizontal face of the inside of the anchor locker on deck which I can activate with the locker lid open. I figure I can use the controlled free-fall mode for down, saving power and reducing winch usage. If I think I need a down switch at the bow I can install one later.

Really looking forward to watching 30 metres of chain come on deck automagically!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Jan 2015 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Today I removed every thing out of the boat powered up my $49 pressure wash from Masters and removed any fiberglass dust or any thing else from the hull interior included all my storage lockers I have the cockpit lockers to go tomorrow rewired stereo top where if will be going . Sorted out my stainless steel sheet for the stove . Should have that mounted in a week or so.
Im using this idea the stainless sheet is for the sides and back same as this set up that some one on here has in there yacht

nswsailor
NSW, 1431 posts
10 Jan 2015 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

McNaughtical said..

HG02 said..

nswsailor said..

yes mine too please

And the list will only get longer NSW

Ok, northern NSW & Queensland this year, NT, WA & Tasmania in late 2016, Vic & southen NSW in 2017

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
10 Jan 2015 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..

Ok, northern NSW & Queensland this year, NT, WA & Tasmania in late 2016, Vic & southen NSW in 2017

In that case I'm sailing down to Melbourne in a few months.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Jan 2015 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DrRog said..

nswsailor said..

In that case I'm sailing down to Melbourne in a few months.

Found this idea this morning Dr Rog it may or may not be useful for your anchor chain over your old anchor hatch maybe two pieces with it open over the hatch area . PVC pipe
Or maybe just a bit of S/S plate to rub on from a scrap yard

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
11 Jan 2015 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Rog, how long is the run of chain across your deck going to be?

It may be that all you would need is a piece of hardwood to act as a scotchman and if and when it wears out just replace it with another one, as the chain will always be under tension it doesn't need to be very wide to keep the deck protected.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Jan 2015 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Many thanks Dr Rog
I wish I could have a back yard and take a bit more time . Hes done some really nice fiberglass work on that boat . At some stage Id like to try molding an extra cockpit storage locker but my fiberglassing need more experience yet. I would dearly love a back yard to restore a boat in

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Jan 2015 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

the below photo taken a couple of weeks ago

this looks a little better I also ran some oils around all the wood work inside and out Ive a fe4w white paint spots to rub off but ill get around to it

the bend in the stern rail has been bugging me for a while so I took to it with a ratchet strap . Ill tweek it a little more next weekend. Sanded the stainless a little as well today Ill use some finers grqade next weekend see if I can bring up the shine on the rails
Also I am doing a little veneering for my stereo and VHF radio see how it goes tomorrow when I take the weight off it.
Mainly cleaned up around home all the bits and peices I had on the boat started organizing them into storage boxes

shes high in the water but Ive a stove fridge water tanks and pumps and mast rigging and sails she go down in the water some once there in place

Still lots of inside jobs to do

yesterdays work above wash and scrubbed the interior

For $49 there not a bad little pressure wash from masters
The huonn pine veneer I have been thinking of using it as a trim between the cabin sides and cabin roof ect ect.
Ill try a piece this week see if I can epoxy some fiberglass tape to the back of the veneer and if its strong enough like that fix it to all the cedar edges .
That should keep me out of the pub

Hoping it will look OK, this trim is some el cheapo from masters

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin