Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
10 Mar 2015 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Ill put some spar fittings on one of them cisco
It can double up as a toe spar
I would have like some different one but the price was absolutely rediculas
Originally iwas fitting the stove on the other side there was a lot more room
But felt the fridge would be far better away ftom any water
Ill make a sliding bench top for to sit on the stove area sp it will increase my bench top space

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Mar 2015 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

RDO today
started to assemble my stover liner

Now I can marry it up to the bulk head and epoxy the bulk head in position . This will be a very happy day to finish this part of the renovation off

Now for some trimming of the fiberglass cabinet not looking forward to this part and then another day wasted cleaning the boat out after

Hoping it comes up as good as this one on another sea breezes boat

Then Ill go through the stove reco the burners and fit them up as well a a good clean and polish

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Mar 2015 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

its. Very tight fit but ill manage it with a bit more TLC

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Mar 2015 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

its. Very tight fit but ill manage it with a bit more TLC
Do some more tomorrow after work

These cabinets are not square nor are they level

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
12 Mar 2015 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

I thought of this post yesterday when i inadvertently replaced the lid on my bow locker upside down. You automatically think of cabinets as being symmetrical. Not so on my boat at least.

That is a project that would drive me nuts HG02!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
12 Mar 2015 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
japie said...
I thought of this post yesterday when i inadvertently replaced the lid on my bow locker upside down. You automatically think of cabinets as being symmetrical. Not so on my boat at least.

You seem to measure every thing but
Thats not enough the front of the cabinet can be more than the back
Even when i fitted ventiators to the deck
I found that one side could not be the same measurement as the opposite side
It is difficult and ive found it's better to start a job like the cabinets and leave them for a while and come back rather than just trying to complete it asap
You end up with a better job

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
12 Mar 2015 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

You seem to measure every thing but
Thats not enough the front of the cabinet can be more than the back
Even when i fitted ventiators to the deck
I found that one side could not be the same measurement as the opposite side
It is difficult and ive found it's better to start a job like the cabinets and leave them for a while and come back rather than just trying to complete it asap
You end up with a better job

Are you doing it by the trial fit and shape, repeat trial fit and shape method or are you using a joggle stick to make life simpler for yourself?

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
12 Mar 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Okay LC, I'll bite.....what's a joggle stick?
Allan

RogerM
4 posts
12 Mar 2015 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Joggle stick
See the attached for the easiest explanation i can find.
www.builderbill-diy-help.com/joggle-stick.html

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
12 Mar 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thats brilliant!

Still hope i never have to use one!

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
12 Mar 2015 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
japie said..
Been up and down the mast every day for the past five days lathering on linseed oil. Looking good. Will post a phot when complete, that is if I don't lose her in the coming cyclone!

Nice to see you are still with us japie. Did the Fijians let you import doggie as well???

That cyclone is a big bitch. I reckon you should beach her and run lines to trees and have a stern anchor laid out into the bay so she don't get carried up too far and so you can kedge her off after the event. A line each side off the mast to trees might be good too.

You have a tough little boat japs and I am sure she will survive.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Mar 2015 2:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
japie said..

I am nuts ask Brizzy Dave

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
13 Mar 2015 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

japie said..
Been up and down the mast every day for the past five days lathering on linseed oil. Looking good. Will post a phot when complete, that is if I don't lose her in the coming cyclone!

Nice to see you are still with us japie. Did the Fijians let you import doggie as well???

That cyclone is a big bitch. I reckon you should beach her and run lines to trees and have a stern anchor laid out into the bay so she don't get carried up too far and so you can kedge her off after the event. A line each side off the mast to trees might be good too.

You have a tough little boat japs and I am sure she will survive.

Yes got the mutt with me now, at vast bloody expense which I can hardly afford. Top it all the old bastard has developed a heart problem so Ive decided to find him a lady in case he carks it!

Looks like Pam is going to miss. Ive got this creek literally arounf the corner. The only problem is that the mouth is a little shallow but i reckon I can get her in with a bit of power assist from my Islander which has a 60 hp on her At high tide. The actual creek is well over fifteen feet deep, the mangroves are massive and it is quite surreal in there.

The catchment area is pretty small as well which should minimise the flood risk.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
14 Mar 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
Prepared SEAKA for a test sail tomorrow [Tues 10th March], report tomorrow.

It was wild rain last night at Coffs.... found drips where they've never been before.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
14 Mar 2015 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
japie said..

The catchment area is pretty small as well which should minimise the flood risk.

That looks interesting. Are there any crocs in Fiji????

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
14 Mar 2015 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

There are recorded sightings of crocs in Fiji, they range from India up to Japan and East as far as the Solomons with vagrants in Fiji.

Check out Japies location here ..... put in search bar of Google Maps .... -18.270108,177.913277

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
15 Mar 2015 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

Check out Japies location here ..... put in search bar of Google Maps .... -18.270108,177.913277

Yeah. I just did. Frigging aweful (awesome). Lucky bugger is living the dream.

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
15 Mar 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

japie said..

I've not heard of any. Mate of mine who is an ex trawlerman reckons he has seen them in places they are not supposed to go.

There's quite a well known shark dive not far away. Apparently you sit on a ledge in a sort of ampitheater whilst they feed them.

I did the Sevu Seve ceremony with the local Matangale. They give you their blessings and make you welcome which includes cover by their spirits. The locals are protected from sharks owing to a legend from some bygone era and I am assured that I am safe as well. Hopefully this covers itinerant salties!

About sixty k's west is Sigatoka, small town on a very large river. The estuary is chokkers with young bull sharks and i was told the year before last that in 18 months there had been 11 incidents. The bites are quite nasty but not fatal. Those guys are not covered and I wont be swimming there either!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Mar 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Spent the weekend at home putting obsolete PC stuff on ebay to turn it into Boat Dollars . I now have a full 5 draw dresser back to utilize and get all my boat stuff off the floor.
While waiting started fitting my burners to the stove and reassemble it and clean and polish to go . You would think SpongBlob would have polished it for me before it left Sydney
Also check and tested my thermostat and ordered a new one as the old one is not working good to find and now soaking my engine cooling internals with vinegar for a few days.
I will have to alter my plans for the sinks and buy a 250 wide rectangular sink so it all works together

spongeblob
NSW, 218 posts
16 Mar 2015 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, sorry bout that HG !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Mar 2015 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spongeblob said..
Yep, sorry bout that HG !

All good SpongBlob

Ill see if I can get hold of a small buffer and find some good polish to finish it off.
Ill order a new flexible hose that runs from the stove to the bulk head and also a bulk head fitting Ive clean one way air pressure valve in the kero tank and clean the tank delivery jet

For the tank I need a kero level hose that fits on the side I have new nickel push house fitting just need some clear tube and connect the two elbows.
Then I will buy a fuel filter localy and adapt that rather than the Taylor filter the tank only runs 15 PSI and I have a small ball valve to use a fuel shut off tap

brizzydave
406 posts
15 Mar 2015 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
japie said..

Totally nuts.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Mar 2015 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..

HG02 said...

japie said..

Totally nuts.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
16 Mar 2015 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

That stove is a work of art HG !!!! when the first spatter of bacon hits that SS , time will stand still just for a moment or two.............

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Mar 2015 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

That stove is a work of art HG !!!! when the first spatter of bacon hits that SS , time will stand still just for a moment or two.............

As long as I can light it up Sands And the bacon smells more over powering than the kero smell and the flame colors good
One of the problems I can see is if some one else want to light the stove and there not use to the procedure.
Time will tell if its a good think or a bit of bling
Hopefully Ill have the stove in position by the end of next weekend

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
16 Mar 2015 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

One of the problems I can see is if some one else want to light the stove and there not use to the procedure.

Don't trust anyone to do that unless you want to change the colour of your interior decore to matt black!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Mar 2015 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said..

HG02 said..

Don't trust anyone to do that unless you want to change the colour of your interior decore to matt black!!

www.toplicht.de/en/shop/ofen-herd-und-kocher/oelregler-und-brennerzubehoer/taylors-zubehoer

Im going to replace the original burners with three of these wont be cheap but once there fitted and running the rest of the taylor fuel system is pretty much fail safe ( I hope ) Be better than L.C.'s any way
Epoxied my stove bulk head in today , Tomorrow I have to pick up a replacement stainless side panel for the stove liner, they cut two for the same side so the satin finish is on the wrong side but should have it fitted up by tomorrow night all going well .
Ive had a piece of teak here for months waiting to make my stove gimbal mounts . Ill fit that up on Saturday Ill be measuring a lot more than twice before that gets mounted

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Mar 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

photo from yesterday

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Mar 2015 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

This ones for LC

[/
Id rather use this one

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
20 Mar 2015 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

My Taylors has a stuffed burner. A ham fisted friend of mine, she turned the knob too far and shattered the needle gear.

I clicked on that link to Hanse and my heart did a whoopee do at the price until I realised it was in Euros. Taylor's are asking an arm and a leg as well.

When I was in Suva earlier in the week I priced a Primus burner. They have no control and because mine is a two burner I would have to put an in line valve in to control it. The Primus burner is $19 Fijian.

Decisions!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin