Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
25 Sep 2015 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Thanks guys, I feel like I'm watching a pot to boil, time is moving soooo slowly.
Cisco, yes you are bang on, the keel folds backward and does not penetrate the hull, but sits outside, the trailing edge almost touching the underside of the hull. So, it kinda ends up looking like an old full length keel The saildrive sits just behind the keel when it is in its up position, so you can motor effectively, but I cant have sails up when the keel is up of course!

What do you mean, you can't have sails up when the keel is up???

It is perfect for a spinnaker run. Keel up so you don't trip over it and forming a long straight shallow blade giving you excellent directional stability. I reckon you could steer her with one finger like that.

I think the excitement has got hold of you and is clouding your mind. Have you not sailed centre boarders before??

southace
SA, 4776 posts
25 Sep 2015 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sandwiches and reds not sails I think CISCO?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
25 Sep 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Bloody hell Cisco, a 40' centreboarder??
Mind you, the keel folds up and rearward, shifting the cog backwards, hence pulling the nose up....

southace
SA, 4776 posts
25 Sep 2015 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

she may motor better with keel down shaggy u will find the sweat spot no doubt. What's the stages to get the keel back down if u break the seal? Reset the circuit breaker?

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
26 Sep 2015 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guitz ,
What are you using as a filler below waterline ?
As I think the Micro balloons are hollow and can absorb water , maybe im wrong but I don't think the fairer used them on my hull below water.. might pay to check..

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Sep 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
she may motor better with keel down shaggy u will find the sweat spot no doubt. What's the stages to get the keel back down if u break the seal? Reset the circuit breaker?

HI Southace,
Good question.I don't know about the electronic recovery, I think I remember a manual backup winch slot but I will add this to my checklist for when I go over, thanks!
If the hydraulics fail, the keel is in the down position by default. Raising the keel requires extending the ram. If the safety valve goes, the ram also then has to extend.
Attached is a pic of the 12.50 design. I spoke with Fino Conq about it (designer), and it turns out they have been designing swing keels since 1978, which eased my concerns with the whole overall design a fair bit.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Sep 2015 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Shot from the front.
I continued the bottom color up over the prow, what do you think? Does it look ok, or is it too jarring? I like it, but its a bit different, so I don't know if I spoilt the lines or not?

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
26 Sep 2015 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

oh shaggy !!!!! now i can see why your going to get the speed !!!!!!! what a shape !!!!!

I think i,m getting exited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
26 Sep 2015 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DAMA said..
Hi Guitz ,
As I think the Micro balloons are hollow and can absorb water , maybe im wrong but I don't think the fairer used them on my hull below water.. might pay to check..

Agreed, Dama, I'm doing the two pack epoxy finish above waterline and keeping the existing finish below, so a good sanding off of the anti foul, a touch up where needed and a re coat of anti foul.
Ice cream! thanks for the tip Southace!

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
26 Sep 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

I've used this product with vinylester, just kept adding the balls and mixing until I got
the right consistancy (ice cream as Southace says). Quite forgiving and easy to use.
Sands to an excellent finish. Good job Guitz.

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
26 Sep 2015 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Shot from the front.
I continued the bottom color up over the prow, what do you think? Does it look ok, or is it too jarring? I like it, but its a bit different, so I don't know if I spoilt the lines or not?

I think it will look fine, keep in mind you wouldn't see the grey bottom once in the water.

what's the thinking with the small step back on the side of the hull?

Yara
NSW, 1275 posts
26 Sep 2015 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Shaggy,
In France they lift the keel so the boat can take the ground at low tide. In your case is the hull reinforced where the retracted (lifted) keel can press against it if sitting on mud?

Colombo7E
QLD, 29 posts
26 Sep 2015 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Installed Motor and Gearbox Temperature indicator with high temp alarm also installed alarms for low oil pressure and low cooling water flow.

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
26 Sep 2015 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

My boat is ready to be launched tomorrow after having topside painted and bottom soda blasted removing 30 years of buid up. The installation of a complete B&G instruments including auto pilot. Looking forwardto now using it.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
26 Sep 2015 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

HI Seabird,
Sorry mate, I am unsure what you mean. Do you mean the chine,where the vertical sides of the hull meet the bottom? Or do you mean the actual mobile steps behind the boat?

HI Yara,
they use different strength 20mm foam throughout the layup, so before infusion it looks a bit like someone had run out of one color, whole blotches of colors! I have a list of all the different grades and where they are positioned, but you could roughly say the forrard half of the lower hull, around the rear of the rudder posts, and the rear and sides of the keel box are all high density foam, with the rest medium density. Structures treat this all the foam weights as intellectual property, ie: I'm not supposed to publish any detail which is a shame, it is interesting the thought that goes into it.

Twodogs, she looks beautiful, congratulations ! I'd be licking my lips at the B&G stuff!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
26 Sep 2015 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Bloody hell Cisco, a 40' centreboarder??

Well that is what she is n'est pas.

seabird
QLD, 227 posts
27 Sep 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
HI Seabird,
Sorry mate, I am unsure what you mean. Do you mean the chine,where the vertical sides of the hull meet the bottom? Or do you mean the actual mobile steps behind the boat?

The vertical sides.
I thought it might have been a chine but most chines face down to deflect water not up. I guess it's there for structural reasons at the point where the two halves meet.

<div class="forumPostActionsCell">
<div class="forumPostActions">Posted 11 hours ago /images/icons/rate/nothumb.gif /images/icons/rate/0.gif /images/icons/rate/nothumb.gif /images/icons/rate/noflag.gif
<div class="forumPostActionsBox">email quote reply

novaoz
VIC, 21 posts
27 Sep 2015 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like new Twodogs, nice job, can't wait to get mine in the water as well.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
27 Sep 2015 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabird said..

Shaggybaxter said..
HI Seabird,

The vertical sides.
I thought it might have been a chine but most chines face down to deflect water not up. I guess it's there for structural reasons at the point where the two halves meet.

<div class="forumPostActionsCell">
<div class="forumPostActions">Posted 11 hours ago /images/icons/rate/nothumb.gif /images/icons/rate/0.gif /images/icons/rate/nothumb.gif /images/icons/rate/noflag.gif
<div class="forumPostActionsBox">email quote reply

HI Seabird,
If this what you mean? Finot Conq explained there are few reasonings for the chine, the first is to create a separation point for the water to separate from the hull cleanly and cut down the drag (a rounder hull tends to "grip" the water), the second is when the boat is heeled working to windward, they wanted to minimize the wetted surface area and create the best shape (interestingly it's asymmetrical) that keeps the boat hunting to windward, and third, to increase the RM by increasing the beam , ie: generate more horsepower. A nice rounded edge would either make the boat wider or decrease the wetted surface area available, and being an Open 40 design, they are optimised for planing. I should be able to start planing in 10knots true.

As we all know, wide beamy hull shapes are not the best for pointing to windward, but when you actually see the tank test results,it is surprising as to the wetted surface area.

Pointing really high to windward in big seas will be my worst mode,as the waves will form around the hull as I cut through them, increase drag as it grips the hull. So, to keep up with the canoe style hull shapes to windward in lumpy seas, I have to bear off a few degrees and use horsepower to achieve the same VMG.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
27 Sep 2015 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Reaching or downwind is a different story, this is where the beam starts coming in. There is no wave drag per se, and you can see/feel the difference.

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
27 Sep 2015 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Great info Shags. As I've said before, the physics of sailing is very interesting. I once talked to jockey Johnny Letts
Who told me that for most of the race you hold the horse back, but when you let it go it's like hanging to something
that's never going to stop accelerating. I reckon your boat is going to be exactly the same. All the very best to you.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
28 Sep 2015 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Loving seeing your boat come together Shaggy... excited for you!!!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 Sep 2015 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the lesson Shaggy! Very Interesting stuff.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 Sep 2015 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
twodogs1969 said..

My boat is ready to be launched tomorrow after having topside painted and bottom soda blasted removing 30 years of buid up. The installation of a complete B&G instruments including auto pilot. Looking forwardto now using it.

Looks stunning Two dogs

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 Sep 2015 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

samsturdy said..

I've used this product with vinylester, just kept adding the balls and mixing until I got
the right consistancy (ice cream as Southace says). Quite forgiving and easy to use.
Sands to an excellent finish. Good job Guitz.

Guitz said..

DAMA said..
Hi Guitz ,

Agreed, Dama, I'm doing the two pack epoxy finish above waterline and keeping the existing finish below, so a good sanding off of the anti foul, a touch up where needed and a re coat of anti foul.
Ice cream! thanks for the tip Southace!

Guitz, I don't know if you are already doing this but using a guide coat when you are preparing to paint the topsides is by far the best way to get a great finnish as well as it cuts out a lot of unnecessary sanding. I used the 3M system when I painted my topsides and couldn't imagine preparing for a gloss finnish without it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?ul_noapp=true&_fromfsb=0&_nkw=3m+guide+coat&_trksid=m270.l1313
you can get it from any auto paint and panel shop.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
28 Sep 2015 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted the new starter motor last Thursday

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
28 Sep 2015 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Please tell me that is a brand new one Andy, and you didn't clean it up to look that good!
We used to use one that looked identical to this to start a drag bike. It had two protruding arms that locked into the frame, so the torque didnt try and snap your amrs off. I know because I missed a few times!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
29 Sep 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Get some paint on it andy. It won't stay looking like that for long.

Also that oil line with banjo connection going into the block just below it needs attention before it rusts through.

Libran
92 posts
29 Sep 2015 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Get some paint on it andy. It won't stay looking like that for long.

Also that oil line with banjo connection going into the block just below it needs attention before it rusts through.

And a little bit of lubrication on the ring gear wont hurt either.

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
29 Sep 2015 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Love working on engines and love sailing better and love B&G gear too

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin