Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Sep 2015 4:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Libran said..

cisco said..

Get some paint on it andy. It won't stay looking like that for long.

Also that oil line with banjo connection going into the block just below it needs attention before it rusts through.

And a little bit of lubrication on the ring gear wont hurt either.

Thanks for the tips. I was planninning to replace all the hoses. I hadn't considered the metal lines. Another job for the list
What's the best lubricant for the ring gear?
Yes shaggy it was brand new. It costs $540 +GST locally. I could have saved a bit buying from England but it was in stock here and delivered the next day.
Ramona I think that converts to 700 AUD

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
30 Sep 2015 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Whatever you use it will be flung off with the engine running. I think I would start with some Lanox spray.

Ramona
NSW, 7572 posts
30 Sep 2015 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Just a smear of boat wheel bearing grease. The starter motor looks like my little Fiats starter. The real one is a Valeo and I can just about guarantee it's widely used.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Sep 2015 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Just a smear of boat wheel bearing grease. The starter motor looks like my little Fiats starter. The real one is a Valeo and I can just about guarantee it's widely used.

That's right Ramona its a Valeo

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
30 Sep 2015 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Wow...everyone is so busy. Such fantastic work being done all around the traps.

For me, helped the sparky move the mast over and over until his 'snake' thing would finally traverse the length of the section inside with the wires attached for the masthead vhf aerial, trilight, and steaming light.

Mast is now ready to be raised. I am a very happy girl today

Also unloaded a few things destined for the tip - anchor chain and rode which is dangerously past it's use-by date; porta loo; more rubbish left behind from He Who Must Not Be Named.

Libran
92 posts
30 Sep 2015 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

Libran said..

cisco said..

Get some paint on it andy. It won't stay looking like that for long.

Also that oil line with banjo connection going into the block just below it needs attention before it rusts through.

And a little bit of lubrication on the ring gear wont hurt either.

Thanks for the tips. I was planninning to replace all the hoses. I hadn't considered the metal lines. Another job for the list
Yes shaggy it was brand new. It costs $540 +GST locally. I could have saved a bit buying from England but it was in stock here and delivered the next day.
Ramona I think that converts to 700 AUD

Try some chain lube in a spray can. It might be easiest to apply and might resist being flung off. (Haven't used it myself but just thought of it)
Must check my own ring gear, got to be better with a little lube.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Sep 2015 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Dry lube but really the start revolves as a low rpm and its only engaged for a minimum of time . Ive never seen a ring gear lubricated on my trade ever
Dame you Andy
take this

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Sep 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Dry lube but really the start revolves as a low rpm and its only engaged for a minimum of time . Ive never seen a ring gear lubricated on my trade ever
Dame you Andy
take this

That's a thing of beauty HG.
Funny thing Libran, I sold my bike 2 years ago but still have a can of chain lube on the shelf. nearly threw it out last week but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I'm glad i kept it, Which goes to prove you should never throw anything away, ever.

southace
SA, 4773 posts
30 Sep 2015 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

I went 16 meters above sea level today to see what I could see! Will be end for ending my head sail halyard tomorrow as its chaffed half way through! Calamari salt and pepper for dinner !

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
30 Sep 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

nice work Southace

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
30 Sep 2015 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Shes soaking in SX50 salt removal but I think Ill cheat tomorrow night with my own concoction after I drain and flush it out

calamari nice S.A

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
1 Oct 2015 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Wow...everyone is so busy. Such fantastic work being done all around the traps.

For me, helped the sparky move the mast over and over until his 'snake' thing would finally traverse the length of the section inside with the wires attached for the masthead vhf aerial, trilight, and steaming light.

Mast is now ready to be raised. I am a very happy girl today

Also unloaded a few things destined for the tip - anchor chain and rode which is dangerously past it's use-by date; porta loo; more rubbish left behind from He Who Must Not Be Named.

Good to hear things are moving forward, Selkie.

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
1 Oct 2015 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

A sparky with a 'snake' thing????

I hope you are behaving yourself girl.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Oct 2015 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

theselkie said..

A sparky with a 'snake' thing????

I hope you are behaving yourself girl.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2532 posts
3 Oct 2015 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Picture of the galley going in earlier this week! I have booked the flights, leave on Saturday, I will be standing on the boat floating for the first time next Monday, I can't really believe it. I have scheduled a week for the commissioning, but this means I will miss my original scheduled ship date of October 23rd. The next ship leaves on the 11th November, which means I wont see the boat in Brisbane till 25th December! This means my plan to have her floating before New Years is toast, but it seems silly to try and rush it now and risk screwing things up by rushing.
One good thing out of this, I have decided to use the Brisbane to Gladstone as our shake down, so I reckon Cisco weaved some voodoo magic to make it all happen this way!

There is a thread here about the Aus ships registry which I have followed with interest, I didn't realise this may impact me, so need to make a phonecall or two on Tuesday! Thanks Seabreezers!

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
3 Oct 2015 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
The next ship leaves on the 11th November, which means I wont see the boat in Brisbane till 25th December! This means my plan to have her floating before New Years is toast, but it seems silly to try and rush it now and risk screwing things up by rushing.
One good thing out of this, I have decided to use the Brisbane to Gladstone as our shake down, so I reckon Cisco weaved some voodoo magic to make it all happen this way!

She is looking great Shaggy. I agree in not rushing it. Small but important things tend to get missed. More hurry = less speed.

I hope the Brissy to Gladdy comes off. You know I am a hands upper for that.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
3 Oct 2015 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Shaggy
Are you soaking the dv 24 HG?
Last Thursday had a bit of a fright when black gunk spat out of my exhaust
No water in the oil so that was good
I don't have a temp gauge but the engine didn't feel too hot but water flow was down
Pulled the raw water line off this morning to be met with the overwhelming smell of stale fish
Removed the fish bits
Flushed with vinegar solution
Everything seems ok.
[/
That's a piece of fish in the pic
Now the water out of the exhaust is clean so I can only imagine the black gunk was fish related???
Of course nothing ever goes to plan as I tried to replace the pencil anode and must have over tightened the retaining bolt because now the thread seems flattened

And finally I know this green blue powder means that something is not right but not sure what the problem is any ideas??

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2532 posts
3 Oct 2015 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

You're on Cisco, send me a PM and we'll swap details!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
3 Oct 2015 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Found a part at bosuns locker that will do until Bukh can send a new one

madmission
VIC, 234 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Many thanks to cisco
Today i recovered my vintage VDO sumlog

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
madmission said..
Many thanks to cisco

Hi Madmission

Is it one of these driven by a cable from a little propeller

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Found a part at bosuns locker that will do until Bukh can send a new one

Andy you dropped your anode plug naughty naught

madmission
VIC, 234 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Similar Donk
Although Scale reads clockwise and gets its signal from a paddlewheel and not a propellor

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Had a couple of cans of spinach and pulled the motor /gear box back out of the engine bay
Started cleaning the bilge whille finish it off tomorrow during the week Ill make a puller to remove the coupling .
My PSS seal should show up some time next week
Ill paint out the bilge in white rather than the black and no more sea water in the bilge I hope
The gear box Ill clean and paint and remove the gear box mountings and bead blast them replace the rear gear box seal '.
Order four engine mounts and a coupling rubber that goes between the engine and gear box
The BW6 gear box fits straight up to the dv 24 , you only need to remove a couple of studs in the bell housing on the engine and fit them in a different position to marry up the gear box the threaded holes are already there

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
madmission said..
Similar Donk
Although Scale reads clockwise and gets its signal from a paddlewheel and not a propellor

Sounds positively modern

Regards Don

madmission
VIC, 234 posts
3 Oct 2015 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Its been out of action for the last few trips and i missed it when estimating tidal effect in concert with GPS SOG
Actual distance run i stick with GPS data , now thats modern

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
3 Oct 2015 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
madmission said..
Its been out of action for the last few trips and i missed it when estimating tidal effect in concert with GPS SOG
Actual distance run i stick with GPS data , now thats modern

Hi Madmission

It is interesting to compare the readings as sometimes the effect of the tide is not really obvious

Regards Don

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
4 Oct 2015 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

Donk107 said..

madmission said..
Many thanks to cisco

Hi Madmission

Is it one of these driven by a cable from a little propeller

Regards Don

A cable driven VDO Sumlog??? That would be a museum piece!!

I had one of them in Spencer Adrian which was a 24 ft ply keeler, steel fin with a lead lump on the bottom. She was called Kahlua, was my second yacht and a classic to boot.

My first yacht was a Spencer Javelin, a machine that could frighten the pants off you or make you crap them.

sailboatdata.com/sailboat/javelin-skiff-nz

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
4 Oct 2015 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
madmission said..
Many thanks to cisco

I am glad it is working for you mate and like I said, you can have the thru hull fitting and blank when I slip next. Happy to help.

cisco
QLD, 12327 posts
4 Oct 2015 2:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Had a couple of cans of spinach and pulled the motor /gear box back out of the engine bay .

Strewth HG. You couldn't help your self could you??

Well now that you have it out you are going to put the DV 24 in aren't you????????????????

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin