Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
crustysailor
VIC, 869 posts
9 Nov 2015 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

shaggy how hard would it have been for them to have dropped the rudder blades out prior to shipping?
I guess your taking a few days off work this Christmas!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Nov 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Removed the old BP solar panel and test fitted the new German/China 140 watt panels , brushed the stainless for a overnight removal and discussed with the local stainless fabrcator how to stiffen the rig.
Will be moving the wind tower and radar forward onto the deck with gussetts going back to the davits to the beam and aft.

Can I reduce the size of my radar scanner? Why is it so big?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
11 Nov 2015 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crustysailor said..
shaggy how hard would it have been for them to have dropped the rudder blades out prior to shipping?
I guess your taking a few days off work this Christmas!

Hi Crusty,
I reckon I would have asked about half a dozen times "are you sure it's ok to leave the rudders in?"
Christian from Structures assured me it was fine and they haven't had an issue yet. (him being owner, so I assume he knows what he is doing)
While there are quick release pins to drop the steering assy off each rudder, I am not sure what is involved in getting the rudders in and out, maybe they think i will damage them? Not sure.

Regards Xmas, yep, if you're bored just let me know!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
11 Nov 2015 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

One lift onto the ship and a couple of truck rides.....don't stress shaggy she's coming soon.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
11 Nov 2015 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Leen to know how that silent wind generator goes Southace

southace
SA, 4761 posts
12 Nov 2015 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

It's going to be at least 2 weeks in the making now!
im moving both the wind and radar on separate towers based onto the deck.

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
12 Nov 2015 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Stainless steel tubes are going to radiate that noise through the boat. Perhaps a carbon fibre tube with some some sound/vibrations deadening material or even plumbing plastic tubes might be the go. The ads for wind generators seem to have plastic mountings.

Agent nods
622 posts
12 Nov 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

I assume it's an older magnatron radar, just make certain where it going to be positioned you won't be in the path of the radiation....its not good for you!!!
(the latest 4g radars put out less than an mobile phone)

southace
SA, 4761 posts
12 Nov 2015 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Just need a to bank them up tomorrow!
the new wind gen will have a nice new tower and yes carbon would be better but I sleep in the bow so Who cares!
the new silent wind will be mounted on the deck and the scanner will be on a identical tower also on the deck. I would like to replace the radar scanner with something lighter and Smaller, it says it's a. 18 inch nearrly the size of the party pizzas I hooked onto!

ChopesBro
350 posts
12 Nov 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

I looked at it.

For a long time.

Than I went for a surf....came back

And looked a lot more.

Shes beautiful. ...its hard to know were to start

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
13 Nov 2015 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

For bearing accuracy you need width on that scanner. 18 inches wide is fairly compromised already. Going smaller will make it worse. Not even sure they come smaller. Dome I have downstairs is about 2 foot 6inches. For accuracy moving about moorings etc at night a 4 foot open scanner is about ideal.

Where it's positioned now looks to be pretty a good compromise.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
13 Nov 2015 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

It seems a fairly new scanner, I have seen smaller units on yacht masts and power boats I wonder if this is the quality of the range that it effects?
anyway it will just be one foot forward to the curent location and will be braced onto the davits rather than hanging on the davits as current.
I have only used it for 5 minutes while testing it......I do wonder if I even really do need it!

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
13 Nov 2015 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Finished stocking supplies and last minute jobs leaving Botany bay for Coffs in the morning. Looking like a nice southerly so should be a quick trip.

Windjana
WA, 391 posts
13 Nov 2015 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
It seems a fairly new scanner, I have seen smaller units on yacht masts and power boats I wonder if this is the quality of the range that it effects?
anyway it will just be one foot forward to the curent location and will be braced onto the davits rather than hanging on the davits as current.
I have only used it for 5 minutes while testing it......I do wonder if I even really do need it!

I've got a Nobletech radar on my yacht and I haven't even had the time to test it out yet (part of the problem of me living in a different state to where the boat is that I just bought!).

I would think that if you have a decent mapping system on a good chartplotter and an AIS receive capability onboard, why do you need a radar? Apart from the fact of course that not all recreational vessels have AIS.........

Also, I am lead to believe that radar uses heaps of valuable 12v power.

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
13 Nov 2015 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Radar is handy for close in work in poor visibility with its rapid data flow of relative targets, ranges out to about 2 or 3 hundred metres. Entering harbour and navigating up estuaries in the dark etc. Squash up a few aluminium cans and hang them off a danbuoy to find your mooring in the dark. Not much chop at sea with a dome that low, range is limited and you will only see the higher coastline and close in contacts will be hidden in sea return, especially little fibreglass fishing boats!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
13 Nov 2015 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

280watts of solar complete! Next week wind gen and VSR battery switch! Happy sailing weekend warriors.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
14 Nov 2015 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody hell Southace, you'll be able to do run a clothes dryer soon!
It looks great mate, congratulations!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
14 Nov 2015 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

What am I doing with my boat today?
Absolutely nothing..........grrrrrrrrrrr.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Nov 2015 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Mines been like that for ages Shaggy Baxter not going any where
Closed up the drive system for the water pump and hand start fitted a new Japanese chain this had a brand on the outer links not like the one that was fitted piece of junk stretched as . Just wonder who fitted it and why possible a water pump bearing may have locked up and snapped the original Bukh chain and the crap chain was either cheap or only one available .
Any way all good now

Picked up a Bukh pulley so Ill take it home and clean it up and give it a coat or two of Bukh Red mount it next week Ill have to buy 10 mm x 55 mm instead of the 10 mm x 45 mm Alan headed bolts to cover the pulley boss.

Removed my old hatch so I can start fitting the Goiot T60 when it arrives

Boatin
NSW, 179 posts
14 Nov 2015 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Wishing you a safe trip

southace
SA, 4761 posts
14 Nov 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

My Christmas present has arrived!
The only carbon on my Icon so sexy blades!

T

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Nov 2015 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

Ive swapped ,my Muir Atlantic 850 winch for a Muir Cougar HR 1200 so I pack and sent some of it today and the Muir cougar should be here in a few days
This will give me the right drop for my anchor chain into the bow where I want it

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
15 Nov 2015 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

HG......what on earth are you going to do with yourself when this boat of yours is finished. Seems to me
it could be a case of 'the journey, not the destination' . So.....when finished you may have to sell it for
half its real value and start over with another one. Mind you, anyone in the market for a Walker H28
at the time would get the best one in the known universe. All the best HG.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Nov 2015 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

HG......what on earth are you going to do with yourself when this boat of yours is finished. Seems to me
it could be a case of 'the journey, not the destination' . So.....when finished you may have to sell it for
half its real value and start over with another one. Mind you, anyone in the market for a Walker H28
at the time would get the best one in the known universe. All the best HG.

Beats drinking Sam and keeps me busy. The kids will have fun if I'm dead before its finished at the clearing sale
But I know the anchor chain will drop where Ive place a X makes the spot and the 1000Watt motor will be more than enough.
And my anchor well will drain out the bow OK

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
15 Nov 2015 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
280watts of solar complete! Next week wind gen and VSR battery switch! Happy sailing weekend warriors.

I think you will need to support the front of those panels on a solid frame Southace.

Might not survive in 40 knots, even in a marina!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Nov 2015 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

I was thinking the same last night NSW but knowing South Ace its not completely finished yet 98 % done and the balance in the next few days

DAMA
QLD, 239 posts
15 Nov 2015 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

I think he did it that way so he can tilt them ,this way to catch the most Sun.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
15 Nov 2015 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DAMA said..
I think he did it that way so he can tilt them ,this way to catch the most Sun.

Good point well out with it South Ace

Guitz
VIC, 611 posts
15 Nov 2015 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Back in the water:

There was no more than a cup or two of water in the bilge after an hour, so I'm happy about that. I fitted a new you beut bilge pump and float switch just in case......
Giving the inside a good wash with sea water over the next few days.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
15 Nov 2015 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

looking great Guitz !!! well done !!!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin