Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
22 Aug 2014 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Ramona

That is a shame to see

Did it have any history of taking water in or was it just a one off failure that caused it

Regards Don

Broke its mooring and ended up on the beach about a month ago. No damage and had no trouble with leaks when recovered. We had some bad weather when it sank but what caused this problem has not been ascertained. I'm guessing a skin fitting failure!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Turned " S.V. Driftwood" last night on the way home and started scrubbing the port side deck and top sides this morning came home for breakfast and should be dry enough to sand when I get back down there soon . A very nice day as far as weather goes today down in Mexican Ville Dialed in Miles Davis for the day wifiing to my stereo from the old laptop.
The link you sent last night Donk is prity reasonable value when you think about it

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Aug 2014 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Jesus Ramona!!! I'm so sorry mate!!! That's terrible. I'm in shock!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

Donk107 said..
Hi Ramona

That is a shame to see

Did it have any history of taking water in or was it just a one off failure that caused it

Regards Don

Broke its mooring and ended up on the beach about a month ago. No damage and had no trouble with leaks when recovered. We had some bad weather when it sank but what caused this problem has not been ascertained. I'm guessing a skin fitting failure!

Hi Ramona I can rember when you posted that it broke its mooring a few weeks back it is a shame to see that happen to her

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Im stuffed came home for some soup.
I still have a few stubborn stains to remove but shes looking a lot nicer . I put another coat on tomorrow when the sun rises.
The port side is not as weather damaged and in much better condition
Ill go back down in a while and fit my throttle cables and have a block of wood to raise the solar panel and move it back so any rain will run off. Once I get that right I will make some brackets for it

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Aug 2014 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful mate!

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
23 Aug 2014 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..

It aint his boat that sunk, be sorry for the peepz that own it ....and while you're at it ... get over your shock, have another rum.

If the weather stays nice I may jump on the scooter and go and have a look at it. I'll stand next to Ramona and together we can both point and gesticulate.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Turned " S.V. Driftwood" last night on the way home and started scrubbing the port side deck and top sides this morning came home for breakfast and should be dry enough to sand when I get back down there soon . A very nice day as far as weather goes today down in Mexican Ville Dialed in Miles Davis for the day wifiing to my stereo from the old laptop.
The link you sent last night Donk is prity reasonable value when you think about it

Hi HG

If it was what you wanted, it fitted and the fabric and plastic was in good condition it would be ok and I guess the seller might be negotiable on the price

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

HG02 said..

Hi HG

If it was what you wanted, it fitted and the fabric and plastic was in good condition it would be ok and I guess the seller might be negotiable on the price

Regards Don

Hope so Donk
Just woke up from my power nap Ha Ha back to the boat. Ill measure up the engine panel loom and do it tonight at home .
Did not do the cables today maybe tomorrow if the weather is reasonable

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2014 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Donk107 said..

HG02 said..

Hi HG

Regards Don

Hope so Donk

Did you end up with it

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

HG02 said..

Donk107 said..

HG02 said..

Hi HG

Regards Don

Hope so Donk

Did you end up with it

Regards Don

I forward you a email about it just then

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
23 Aug 2014 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

LooseChange said..

brizzydave said..

It aint his boat that sunk, be sorry for the peepz that own it ....and while you're at it ... get over your shock, have another rum.

If the weather stays nice I may jump on the scooter and go and have a look at it. I'll stand next to Ramona and together we can both point and gesticulate.

No it's not my boat. Here it is this afternoon, taken from my boat just before I pick up my mooring. I can probably do you a good deal on her at the moment!
[URL= .html]

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2014 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ramona

Is it sitting on the bottom in the photo

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
Beautiful mate!

You talking about me Brizzy dave Ha ha thank mate .Have you heard from Spong bob lately ?
Moved the solar panel back and raised it tomorrow it going to rain so Ill be able to see what effect it has

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Aug 2014 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

I wouldn't know what the f*ck his boat looks like loosechange. Just being nice. :-( !!!!

brizzydave
406 posts
23 Aug 2014 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

And that's why I keep deleting the link to this forum.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Aug 2014 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

When you go cruising what are you intending to do about a tender

I have seen a couple of H28's with their tenders sitting upside where you have your solar panel mounted

Also have you seen this photo and advert

It is advertised as a Walker h28 and I assume it might be a original sloop as mast is in the same position as my Sailmaster 845 not further forward where yours is and has a compression post under it http://www.tradeboats.com.au/detail/marine/boats/walker/h28/92310

Are you still considering leaving your mizzen off as this would give you the option of mounting the solar panel above the cockpit

Also I have been reading some post where people have removed the mizzen and lengthened the boom to increase the size of the main to make up for the reduced sail area and to remove lee helm that was evident without the mizzen but others have said removing the mizzen has made little difference so I guess it depends on the boat

I guess ideally you only want to do things once and not have any regrets later on and the trade off would be cockpit space vrs the usefulness,versatility and beauty of the ketch rig

Kan walker seemed to be a fairly good designer and I guess he decided that the ketch rig was worth the loss of cockpit space but back then things were probably simpler and the mounting of solar panels etc were not a issue

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Aug 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Donk This one has the mast in the same place as mine above the bulk head

All Ill do this year is re fit the main mast and sort that out plus the furling system .Ill buy a inflatable Donk

I was just looking at my bow sprit today and thinking its a good time to extend that piece of timber and add a cutter rig to it. Probally the only thing that can get extended in my life Donk
Id love to sit up on the bow sprit and sail one of these would be nice

www.madmanmarine.com/

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
24 Aug 2014 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

Yep I saw that first video a few weeks ago when you posted it

It certainly looks like it is getting along nicely

What do you think they were playing with up the front

Before you started to upgrade Driftwood did you take her for a sail and what was your impressions on how she handled

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Aug 2014 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

Yep I saw that first video a few weeks ago when you posted it

It certainly looks like it is getting along nicely

What do you think they were playing with up the front

Before you started to upgrade Driftwood did you take her for a sail and what was your impressions on how she handled

Regards Don

No The boat did not feel safe are far as halyards go and a few other things . Shed been sitting on the swing mooring for a few years . Was bad enough finding that engine inlet hose later on hidden under the engine sump after Id motored for 6 hours

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
24 Aug 2014 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

What sort of condition are the sails in

Regards Don

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
24 Aug 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Donk107 said..
Hi Ramona

Regards Don

Yes. It's right on the bottom of the tide when the photo was taken. Nice sandy clear bottom still attached to her new mooring.

Photo below is a sistership. Built in the USA, apparently there are lots of them. Cost of maintaining the rig would be horrendous! Would love to see her sailing again though.
[URL=.html] [/URL]

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
24 Aug 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
I wouldn't know what the f*ck his boat looks like loosechange. Just being nice. :-( !!!!

Aww Dave, I was just being nice too ...... offering to share a rum

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
24 Aug 2014 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted up my engine loom in the engine bay and cut the rest of the sound proofing still have to glue some in also have to find the right temp sender adapter for the VDO gage
Oil send fitted up ok for the gage and the light sender . looks like I need to touch up some engine block paint in there Ill sort some sort of ducting for engine cooling and air intake later

Got some battery cables off a contractor swapped for some beer so I ran bow to stern just in case I fit a windlass as I get older

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
24 Aug 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

Hi Cisco

Do you have any vibrations throughout the rev range with the solid engine mounts

Regards Don

Hi Don,

I think it comes down to the individual boat. One might have none, another might have a narrow rev range with vibration and another might have it at all speeds.

Cheers Cisco.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
24 Aug 2014 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Ramona said..

Donk107 said..
Hi Ramona

Regards Don

Yes. It's right on the bottom of the tide when the photo was taken. Nice sandy clear bottom still attached to her new mooring.

Photo below is a sistership. Built in the USA, apparently there are lots of them. Cost of maintaining the rig would be horrendous! Would love to see her sailing again though.
[URL= .html]

Beautiful looking boat. I feel for the owners, what a shame.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Aug 2014 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Ramona said..

LooseChange said..

brizzydave said..

No it's not my boat. Here it is this afternoon, taken from my boat just before I pick up my mooring. I can probably do you a good deal on her at the moment!
[URL= .html]

Have they moved her to the beach yet Romona?

Ramona
NSW, 7486 posts
26 Aug 2014 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Have not checked this morning yet. I have to walk a hundred yards or so to see her. Not sure what the plan is at the moment, as far as I know it's up to the insurance company.

Offthegrid
WA, 123 posts
26 Aug 2014 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Photo, day 1 of 4 days of hardstand fun!

In no particular order,
New antifoul, 3 coats
Cleaned up the prop
Greased prop shaft
Greased rudder post
Greased winches
Cleaned up anodes, not used much?
Cleaned all stainless on the deck
Touched up deck paint
Acid washed hull
Polished hull
Tightened fence cables with fancy rope work ;)
Calibrated depth sounder
Checked flares date (got lots of flares)
Made battery shelf this time on starboard side and installed 3rd house battery
Fixed 3 broken switches on elec panel
remounted damaged TV aerial
Replaced globe on mast light
Cleaned out bilge which wasnt bad at all. New absorbent pads in
Changed engine oil and filter
Changed fuel filter
Lanolined engine and
installed an inverter

After photos still on my phone,
such a good feeling to get in back in looking so shiny and slippery!
still need to go to the top to change a globe and mount a wind indicator, which I'll do now she's back in the water.
looking forward to a great summer for sure.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Aug 2014 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AquanMarine said..

Photo, day 1 of 4 days of hardstand fun!

In no particular order,
New antifoul, 3 coats
Cleaned up the prop
Greased prop shaft
Greased rudder post
Greased winches
Cleaned up anodes, not used much?
Cleaned all stainless on the deck
Touched up deck paint
Acid washed hull
Polished hull
Tightened fence cables with fancy rope work ;)
Calibrated depth sounder
Checked flares date (got lots of flares)
Made battery shelf this time on starboard side and installed 3rd house battery
Fixed 3 broken switches on elec panel
remounted damaged TV aerial
Replaced globe on mast light
Cleaned out bilge which wasnt bad at all. New absorbent pads in
Changed engine oil and filter
Changed fuel filter
Lanolined engine and
installed an inverter

You can drop in and help me any time Aquanmarine when you get bored

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General