Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
shaggybaxter
QLD, 2515 posts
24 Dec 2015 2:18AM
Thumbs Up

I spoke too soon! Today we were booted, it all fell apart when I advised them I would need two days before I was ready for the mast step. So now we are back to dropping her in the water sand motoring to the club. Grrr....
If anyone is bored anad lurking near RQYS from the 30th-4th, come and say G'day, I'll have the beer fridge stocked.
Warning: you may get suckered into helping carry the mast up to the hard if it is the 30-31st!

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
24 Dec 2015 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant idea
give new meaning to your nom de plume
congrats on getting Fusion
nearly there
perhaps week end sail to port Philip bay as shakedown,as she's so quick
we would like to see her

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
2 Jan 2016 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Where the anchor winch is being mounted its double skinned glass with foam so Ive cut through the top layer of glass and mixed up some epoxy and added glue filler and flowed it into the voids including where the cables run into the boat. Tomorrow Ill clean it up and epoxy some glass Matt over the area fair it all up next weekend and lay some primer down.
Id love to lay some teak deck but not in this life Sands sponsorship makes a very tight budget I'm afraid

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
3 Jan 2016 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Teak would be nice HG but a fresh coat of paint always looks good

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
4 Jan 2016 1:55AM
Thumbs Up

Cut out yesterdays epoxy fill on the anchor winch platform and also removed the old head sea cocks which will be epoxy filled in . Had to do other thing today so not much time for the boat. Had to re drill the mounting holes again after string lining the winch in this photo

These two sea cocks were like pulling a tooth to remove very tuff

jgb1787
WA, 70 posts
6 Jan 2016 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Finishing off my new tiller today, rudder is currently fly at the painters getting top coated then back on the boat!

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
8 Jan 2016 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Got my mast on yesterday - so pleased all my measuring & trigonometry calcs worked :)

More pics:
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1104497899562772.1073741852.100000077181867&type=1&l=82f437d333

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
8 Jan 2016 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jgb1787 said..
Finishing off my new tiller today, rudder is currently fly at the painters getting top coated then back on the boat!

Nice job

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
8 Jan 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzarae said..
Got my mast on yesterday - so pleased all my measuring & trigonometry calcs worked :)

More pics:
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1104497899562772.1073741852.100000077181867&type=1&l=82f437d333

Get a weight off the crane? Does not look light.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Jan 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzarae said..

More pics:

Lazz , that is a great calculating !!!! well done .......

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Jan 2016 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Lazzarae

Well done mate you have done well

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
9 Jan 2016 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Spot on Larry. She a big stick.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Jan 2016 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Nearly finished removing the anti foul on one side. the sander packed it in so I had some spare time and removed the rudder and brought it home to refurbish.
Next weekend should get a lot done had to work over Christmas break ,so she was a bit neglected

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2515 posts
19 Jan 2016 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

After a few days of dicking around, I finally got my Sailect data uploaded. It turned out that I had been given a dbase of files, instead of individual files per sail.
This would have been fine except you need the Pro version of the Nav software to read the db file!
I finally swallowed my pride, admitted defeat and contacted Structures.
Overnight I got some new files, and one click later presto!
Somedays I hate software, especially the learning phase.
Edit: For reference: GSE is headsail, GV is mainsail, Ris is reef, haute is full, trinquette is staysail.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
19 Jan 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
After a few days of dicking around, I finally got my Sailect data uploaded. It turned out that I had been given a dbase of files, instead of individual files per sail.
This would have been fine except you need the Pro version of the Nav software to read the db file!
I finally swallowed my pride, admitted defeat and contacted Structures.
Overnight I got some new files, and one click later presto!
Somedays I hate software, especially the learning phase.
Edit: For reference: GSE is headsail, GV is mainsail, Ris is reef, haute is full, trinquette is staysail.

I'm not going to even try to read this post shaggy way to much for my poor brain ....iPad and a remote for my auto pilot is as far as I'm going!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
19 Jan 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Shaggles , that looks exactly like an ink blob my shrink showed to me once ......... I told him that's hows Shaggiod chooses his sail sizes !!!!

he told me i needed anther appointment !!!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Jan 2016 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

Shaggles , that looks exactly like an ink blob my shrink showed to me once ......... I told him that's hows Shaggiod chooses his sail sizes !!!!

he told me i needed anther appointment !!!!

Did the Doctor say appointment or ointment Sands

I got the classic version with my old Boat Sands
Ketch
Sail
Area
Luff Leach Foot LP
Main 16.45 sqm 8.85 9.20 3.54
Mizzen 7.3 sqm 5.90 6.25 2.36
No. 1 27.5 sqm 10.38 10.03 5.66 5.31
No. 2 *21.1 sqm 9.08 9.09 4.82 4.65
No. 3 * 17.7 sqm 8.39 8.09 4.48 4.38
No. 4 10.54 sqm 7.79 7.08 3.07 2.7

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
19 Jan 2016 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

boom- tish !!!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Jan 2016 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

boom- tish !!!!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2515 posts
19 Jan 2016 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

I might co-share that appointment Sands!
Hehe....that's good HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Jan 2016 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Before
Ramona had a excellent suggestion which was epoxy around the stainless rudder post inside and seal up where it comes out for the pintels
Which I will do this is a home after work project so Ill be working on it for a few weeks Id say

After lots to do yet

Ill follow this method for my rudder

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
22 Jan 2016 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

That's great video Hg. Was there much water in your rudder?

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
22 Jan 2016 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said...
I might co-share that appointment Sands!
Hehe....that's good HG

You guys gave me a laugh!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Jan 2016 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
That's great video Hg. Was there much water in your rudder?

Ever since I put her on the hard the bottom of the rudder was always damp . which gave me two possibility
One was the cockpit drains after a rain may have been running down the rudder
Possibility two was not the above and as I am coating the hull in Epoxy Barrier coat the rudder had to be removed
Ive been watching since before Christmas and always appear to have a some moisture around the lower section of the rudder .
Unfortunately for me I look at my old boat like Id service a crane in a ten year service it has to come apart and be inspected.
The internals of the rudder were wet because of the angle the rudder is when fitted to the boat the outer edge is where the water inside drains to then runs down.
The lower foamed section in places was wet and had lost its properties along with water running to the outer edge from the stainless rudder shaft.
This weekend Ill open the rudder up higher and clean out all the old foam and inspect the stainless frame work for any sort of damage but the frame work looks really solid.
I wanted to slowly open it up as I had no idea of what was inside and how the rudder was constructed before hand internally.
I bought some Bote Cote two part pouring foam via Marine Timbers Seaford for back filling later but I have to make the rudder case absolute clean before hand and I want to sand and grind around where the stainless rudder shaft (internally)at the pintle points so I can add some epoxy to seal the shaft to the rudder blade to assist it from leaking again. I'm not sure yet where sea water was entering but Ill epoxy internally every exposed part of pintle areas on rudder shaft . Then clean it all up and slowly fill the rudder with foam and close it up using epoxy resin and mat and fair it and barrier coat and paint it
The rudders done a good job been sitting in sea water for 38 years I guess it could have dome more year as it was but I dont want to be doing this sort of stuff in ten years time . Id rather be sailing then.

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
23 Jan 2016 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Seawater is entering the rudder at the exposed SS shaft just below the water line. [They all do that sir]!

Fibreglass does not stick too well with SS and the constant changes and variations of temperature will always let water in. Best to plan to have water always there and have a core that can handle moisture or make it solid. Mines always wet and I'm expecting another 30 years or so before I have to do something about it. Very little strain on my rudder or yours. People with spade rudders can just panic.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
23 Jan 2016 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Seawater is entering the rudder at the exposed SS shaft just below the water line. [They all do that sir]!

Fibreglass does not stick too well with SS and the constant changes and variations of temperature will always let water in. Best to plan to have water always there and have a core that can handle moisture or make it solid. Mines always wet and I'm expecting another 30 years or so before I have to do something about it. Very little strain on my rudder or yours. People with spade rudders can just panic.

Your right Ramona
Tracing the stains it appears that most of the water is running down the tiller and entering the tiller mounts at the rudder.
After I finish this project .
What I intend is every time I anti foul I will also run some sealant around the tiller mounts and pintels areas of the rudder post The exterior of my old rudder badly needed a good make over .

Behind the tiller mounting holes it also runs a H section in stainless steel
I am thinking before I finish making ready to re fill with foam Ill fill the void under the tiller mounts with epoxy and re drill the tiller mounting holes through the epoxy.
The way it was made before the holes were just drilled through the outer fiber glass skin and through H section under it and through the foam .
If I can seal that area with some epoxy and re drill it it may assist in less water entering the inside of the rudder Ill also epoxy around the pintles inside the rudder then epoxy and fiberglass tape the S/S H sections to the inside of the rudder case where I can

If Id know what was inside as far as frame work goes I probably would have cut the fiber glass into section so each H section had an original fiber glass rudder skin over it and tape the H section to the out skin before re foaming.
That would also help in obtaining the original shape of the rudder afterwards. Ill post a photo with a tape measure along the rudder post showing the welded H sections all of the H sections are at right angles to the rudder post
I think a few would be interested as to whats inside a walker Rudder

ChopesBro
350 posts
23 Jan 2016 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

How do u post pictures in these forums

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
23 Jan 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..
How do u post pictures in these forums

Either use a programme like Photobucket or simply use the bit at the bottom left of this page. Click on "Add an image to my message". Then you will see a panel that says select, click on that and choose a photo from your files. Easy really, give it a try.

ChopesBro
350 posts
23 Jan 2016 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

imageshack

Testing

ChopesBro
350 posts
23 Jan 2016 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Epic fail

Give me a hour.. .I can figure this...maybe