Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
29 Sep 2017 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AshleyM said..
Not quite today, but on Wednesday I had a lovely evening sail home from Tangalooma with my new FarEast fully battened main.

I have to refine my reefing system and buy a new boom cover (I'll go back to FarEast for this), but the sail itself is brilliant.

It's like Christmas hosting a new sail for the first time:

Mainsail looks nice. I would have put numbers on it though. Even if you don't race it helps to identify the vessel offshore.

2bish
TAS, 815 posts
29 Sep 2017 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bananabender said..
Purchased very large bin from Bunnings and took all sails home and soaked them in aldi nappysan overnght
Today hung them up on side fences ( just as well they are very high ) in the sun and washed down with the hose. Not one had been properly packed and I'll swear they had never been rinsed in fresh water before.
Whats the world coming to?' Cushion covers next.

I'd be interested to hear how effective the nappysan is?

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
29 Sep 2017 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Twohull said..

sirgallivant said..
This thread is getting more weird by the minute.
First HG's posts, now Twohulls. (are you bloody serious standing up in a two meter inflatable? Strewth!)
Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.
Something must be in the water...

Ouch, I'm sorry, I did not know that standing on GRP floor in 2m inflatable is prohibited. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll never do it again. Please tell me what is length of inflatable dinghy to legally stand in it. Thanks in advance for shearing you wisdom with me. I do believe every other person did known about this prohibition but me, ignorant old full. Thanks once more.

Twohull, never stand in a dinghy.....that's how Henry Adam ('Arry Driftwood) died, he lived aboard his boat and commuted
by dinghy, but he insisted on standing....one day he fell out and drowned. So...sit down please.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
29 Sep 2017 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samsturdy said..

Twohull said..

sirgallivant said..
First HG's posts, now Twohulls. (are you bloody serious standing up in a two meter inflatable? Strewth!)

Ouch, I'm sorry, I did not know that standing on GRP floor in 2m inflatable is prohibited. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll never do it again. Please tell me what is length of inflatable dinghy to legally stand in it. Thanks in advance for shearing you wisdom with me. I do believe every other person did known about this prohibition but me, ignorant old full. Thanks once more.

Twohull, never stand in a dinghy.....that's how Henry Adam ('Arry Driftwood) died, he lived aboard his boat and commuted
by dinghy, but he insisted on standing....one day he fell out and drowned. So...sit down please.

Thanks Sam for your concern. I'm trying to be polite as passible, trust me. How we stop those "stand up paddle" people from their unsafe practice? Ha ha. I do hope that "tongue in cheek" is not prohibited yet, ha ha.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
29 Sep 2017 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Twohull said..

samsturdy said..

Twohull said..

sirgallivant said..

Thanks Sam for your concern. I'm trying to be polite as passible, trust me. How we stop those "stand up paddle" people from their unsafe practice? Ha ha. I do hope that "tongue in cheek" is not prohibited yet, ha ha.

I very rarely sit down in my tender.
I hold the painter line and have a extension attach to my tiller.

It's funny you watch them blokes sitting down in there tender running there skegs through the sand and mud . When I see the shore line getting shallow from my standing position I drop down and trim the outboard up and slide onto the shore.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
29 Sep 2017 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

No, it is not Twohull, it is not. Neither is being silly, being an imbecile or being an outright idiot.
However, if one is doing something silly, like standing up in an inflatable, and one is goodnaturedly warning him about the obvious danger, one should not be too upset. Hey?

I am not wasting time on the sup, as the difference is blatantly obvious.

Are you donning a PFD, at least, while you're doing your gig?

sirgallivant
NSW, 1531 posts
29 Sep 2017 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

No, it is not Twohull, it is not. Neither is being silly, being an imbecile or being an outright idiot.
However, if one is doing something silly, like standing up in an inflatable, and one is goodnaturedly warning him about the obvious danger, one should not be too upset. Hey?

I am not wasting time on the sup, as the difference is blatantly obvious.

AshleyM
QLD, 197 posts
29 Sep 2017 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

I routinely stand in my little fibreglass tender and I never wear a lifejacket when in my tender unless I'm in highly abnormal conditions.

Bananabender
QLD, 1590 posts
29 Sep 2017 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish

I'd be interested to hear how effective the nappysan is?

I was pretty impressed. Cant remember where I read it .
They recommended following.
Use preferably black tub and leave in sun to soak sails with lid on .Black absorbs heat .
I spread each sail out on lawn first hosed down ,sprinkled the nappy San on stains ,black crease marks etc. and scrubbed with soft hair broom. Then I dumped the sail in tub with a fair amount of nappy San , agitated (with arm in tub )every couple of hours then put lid on tub and left overnight.
Next day took out sail ( water in tub was dark grey) hung on fence in sun and sprayed liberally with hose then left to dry. Excepting rust stains sail came out with all marks gone and quite white ,actually the main looks terrific now.
The cushion covers did not look to bad when I put them in.
Wow the water was literally black next day and had to do twice then rinse as I did with sails. Clean as and soft to touch. I used the Aldi equivalent as much cheaper.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
29 Sep 2017 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..

When I'm "doing my gig" I do folow rules for dinghy operators in Qld: wering of pfd whale operating dinghy no more than 500 meters from registered (mother) vessel is not mandatory" (standing, seating, kneeling or laying) this is not word for word statement but message is clear. Yes I do my "gig" not for fun, there are occasions where there is no more room on the hard floor (air deck get holed in the past) to place my feet down. If you sugest me sitting on top of the some articles I do ship by my dink, you are soliciting me to very immoral activity (please stop). Irony and sarcasm are dead, looks like ha ha.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
30 Sep 2017 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Twohull said..
Ouch, I'm sorry, I did not know that standing on GRP floor in 2m inflatable is prohibited.

Nah!! It is not prohibited at all mate.

You need a 6 hp Johnno non the back with a tiller extension and the bow painter line to hang onto.

The tiller extension is only for pouring the horsepower on. You steer it by leaning port or starboard.

If you really want it to boogie, you crouch down.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
30 Sep 2017 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

southace said..

I very rarely sit down in my tender.
I hold the painter line and have a extension attach to my tiller.
When I see the shore line getting shallow from my standing position I drop down and trim the outboard up and slide onto the shore.

Only way to go.

Twohull
QLD, 149 posts
30 Sep 2017 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Twohull said..
Ouch, I'm sorry, I did not know that standing on GRP floor in 2m inflatable is prohibited.

You need a 6 hp Johnno non the back with a tiller extension and the bow painter line to hang onto.

The tiller extension is only for pouring the horsepower on. You steer it by leaning port or starboard.

Yes you are right, but I can only crank it only up to half the revs. To go faster, one of suggestion was to trim it more, but motor is already in max trim. Other suggestion was that I shall use lighter motor instead of my long leg 6 Evinrude. Looks like I'm stuck and only able to use half of the motor potential, such life.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
30 Sep 2017 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Twohull said..

Johnno !
Are you jokeing I think they had one of them on the Ark!
Suzuki or Honda 4 strokes are the only way to go in this present time.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
30 Sep 2017 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi Shaggy and anyone else who can give me an explanation

With you mainsheet catching on the wheel issue when gybing where you say you can't sheet the main in before gybing because it powers the boat up as the apparent wind moves forward, if your are sailing dead down wind at the time of the gybe and the wind speed is greater than the boat speed is there going to be any apparent wind forward to deal with

Regards Don

G'day DonK,
I don't normally sail DDW mate, being an aso boat, but yes of course you're right, in your example there is no apparent. I'll use today as an example, we had 130 degree twa which gave me 90 deg awa, with main luffing on eased mainsheet.
Btw, I missed it, how was the regatta? Who won out of the beamy euro pair-up?

Edit: frustrating day sailing in the St Helena Cup, 1-3 kn wind speed at the low end, 20 kn max at the high end. How did you go Boty?

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
1 Oct 2017 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

Donk107 said..
Hi Shaggy and anyone else who can give me an explanation

With you mainsheet catching on the wheel issue when gybing where you say you can't sheet the main in before gybing because it powers the boat up as the apparent wind moves forward, if your are sailing dead down wind at the time of the gybe and the wind speed is greater than the boat speed is there going to be any apparent wind forward to deal with

Regards Don

G'day DonK,
I don't normally sail DDW mate, being an aso boat, but yes of course you're right, in your example there is no apparent. I'll use today as an example, we had 130 degree twa which gave me 90 deg awa, with main luffing on eased mainsheet.
Btw, I missed it, how was the regatta? Who won out of the beamy euro pair-up?

Edit: frustrating day sailing in the St Helena Cup, 1-3 kn wind speed at the low end, 20 kn max at the high end. How did you go Boty?

Hi Shaggy

We were in Division 2 and Rumblefish was Division 1 but on elapsed time over the 3 races it was Elan 2 Jenneau 1 but we both had some drama's over the weekend with the changeable winds

There is a bit of a explanation and some photo't on the Pipe Opener thread if you want to have a read
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Sailing/General/Any-other-Tassie-sailors-competing-in-the-Pipe-Opener-series-starting-next-Friday?page=1#27

Regards Don

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
1 Oct 2017 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Planned 7 days on the hard turned into 12, but pretty happy with the results.

New Quantum Fusion M composite sails on order, can't wait!

New halyards and sheets to sort out to finish off.

Roll on summer sailing!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
1 Oct 2017 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

Roll on summer sailing!

Red is hard to cut n polish. 12 days is a long time what else did you do?

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
1 Oct 2017 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Usual bottom sand and antifoul, service leg and prop, replace anodes, a few days atrocious weather.

Hand sanded the hull with 800 wet/dry then 1500 orbital wet/dry. Tossing up whether to repaint but decided to give this stuff a try.

www.clearrenew.com.au/marine/

Pretty happy with the finish, keeps that wet look, though it is tricky to get right. First coat easy and smooths out nicely, but hard to get even finish with second coat, probably went a bit too thin. See how it goes. Next time out will probably sand back and repaint.

Love/hate relationship with the red.

2bish
TAS, 815 posts
1 Oct 2017 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

Roll on summer sailing!

Wow, the boat looks fantastic in the pics, nicely done. New sails... I can only dream at the moment, I'd be excited too!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
1 Oct 2017 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously just use a good Gerni blaster and apply antifoul don't worry about messy wet and dry sanding.

2bish
TAS, 815 posts
2 Oct 2017 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish said..

FreeRadical said..

Roll on summer sailing!

Wow, the boat looks fantastic in the pics, nicely done. New sails... I can only dream at the moment, I'd be excited too!

Are the Fusion M sails the 6000 series? I'd be interested in hearing what you think of them?

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
3 Oct 2017 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Headed up to Werri Beach yesterday in a light NE breeze that was supposed to fill in but didn't. First day at sea after changing the gears on the windvane from Delrin to brass. Also first day with the new boom vang. Long day and I had to dodge a few whales on the way home. There were several off the entrance to The Crookhaven and as I crossed the bar one accompanied me up the river. There was not much room in that channel for the two of us! I turned right at the first channel marker for Greenwell Point and the whale headed off to a position 50 meters off Orient Point wharf. Quite a surprise for the people fishing off the wharf. I will post a video in the next couple of days.

PhoenixStar
QLD, 477 posts
3 Oct 2017 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Headed up to Werri Beach yesterday in a light NE breeze that was supposed to fill in but didn't. First day at sea after changing the gears on the windvane from Delrin to brass. Also first day with the new boom vang. Long day and I had to dodge a few whales on the way home. There were several off the entrance to The Crookhaven and as I crossed the bar one accompanied me up the river. There was not much room in that channel for the two of us! I turned right at the first channel marker for Greenwell Point and the whale headed off to a position 50 meters off Orient Point wharf. Quite a surprise for the people fishing off the wharf. I will post a video in the next couple of days.

Are you happy with the vang Ramona? Is the boom end on a slide? And are you happy with your boom brake? i can't quite get my head around the geometry, how the sheeting interacts with the brake.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
3 Oct 2017 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhoenixStar said..

Ramona said..

Are you happy with the vang Ramona? Is the boom end on a slide? And are you happy with your boom brake? i can't quite get my head around the geometry, how the sheeting interacts with the brake.

The boom vang strut is a carbon fibre snow ski and there is a couple of adjustment holes at the boom end. The pivot point at the base is in line with the gooseneck pivot point. The two part vang rope is attached either side in line with the same point so that the tension remains the same as the boom is let out. The boom brake attaches to the SS part of the vang and the rope goes to blocks abeam that point on each side toe rail. These lead back to cleats either side of the cockpit. Works OK but I only use it when I have to. I tension both sides before gybing. I have found 12mm rope ideal.

PhoenixStar
QLD, 477 posts
4 Oct 2017 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

PhoenixStar said..

Ramona said..

The boom vang strut is a carbon fibre snow ski and there is a couple of adjustment holes at the boom end. The pivot point at the base is in line with the gooseneck pivot point. The two part vang rope is attached either side in line with the same point so that the tension remains the same as the boom is let out. The boom brake attaches to the SS part of the vang and the rope goes to blocks abeam that point on each side toe rail. These lead back to cleats either side of the cockpit. Works OK but I only use it when I have to. I tension both sides before gybing. I have found 12mm rope ideal.

Are your toe rail blocks more or less abeam the base of the mast?

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
4 Oct 2017 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhoenixStar said..

Ramona said..

PhoenixStar said..

Ramona said..

They are abeam the figure 8.

PhoenixStar
QLD, 477 posts
4 Oct 2017 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

PhoenixStar said..

Ramona said..

PhoenixStar said..

Ramona said..

They are abeam the figure 8.

Thanks Ramona. Might not work for me, unfortunately, because my narrow side decks will have the 12 mm tails hard on the cabin sides. But a good idea. So far I have not broken anything in a gybe anyway, touch wood. But it does put a lot of shock load on the centre boom sheeting at times.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
5 Oct 2017 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Not today, but on Sunday, bit slow. We're racing in the St Helena Cup, heading back for the gap between Green Island and St Helena Island. We're cracked off to about 60 twa, speed's about 10kn. I'm below watching the plotter and on the charts there's a shallow lump ahead I couldn't recall ever seeing before.

Yelled out my new discovery to the crew. Firstly, my crew has much experience as me of sailing on the bay, and my announcements brings a general harumpph, there's no lump where I'm describing. We were kinda right in the middle of the passage between the islands approaching obliquely, well clear of the islands, so it didn't make sense none of us would have seen it before. The lump shows a depth of 2.2m, we draw 3.
I start the engine in preparation for a quick keel lift if needed. I'm calling out the dtg, we're creeping nearer as the debate continues. Concensus is it makes sense to keep going, it looks like the course we'd taken a hundred times before.
Ease sheets, slow the boat down, we've crossed the edge, I call out to the crew. There is a crewman calling the depth out, and you hear his voice go up an octave "..3.6 , 3.3 , 3.2, 2.8..! " Touch. Touch, touch, toooouch. Ouch.
I hit the button, the keel starts upward as I call to hold course. We bounce a couple more times and then we skim over, depth showing 2.2m.
The depth caller's voice goes husky with relief as I hear "..2.2 , 3.0 , 3.8....thank christ.."
We're free. Hit the button, the keel whines it's way down till I hear it hit the cutoutswitch and it shuts down.
We continue on and finish the race.

Question: Is it wrong for me to lift the keel like this in a race?
The SI allow for you to engage your engine to get off a grounding. So, I look like I'm compliant, but I don't know and I'm unsure if my actions were right or not. The same concept would be a trailer sailor using his lift keel. I still have oodles of righting moment keel up, so it's not like the boat is unstable or dangerous, it can be sailed with the keel up.

What do you guys think? Is this against the rules?

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
4 Oct 2017 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

The first thing would be if it was successfully argued you gained a significant advantage E.g did it cut a chunk off the course, set you up much better on the leg, avoid tacking etc.

The next thing is it Fair Sailing? Is it fair play to say, I stuck to this course because I knew if I hit, I could just lift the keel a bit using the engine. Kind of like having a get out of jail free card up your sleeve.

Why didn't you just alter course, would be my guess as to the first question?

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin