Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4776 posts
5 Jun 2018 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
I will be replacing the metal sheaves with nylon and building the main sheet system including a a solid boom vang! Winter is here and my carbon doors are a treat!
Have you finaly got your new skin fittings in Cisico it's been many blue moons and beers since your last update?

P.s there's a second hand section for second hand parts I think there was something about selling in forum rules.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
6 Jun 2018 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Have you finaly got your new skin fittings in Cisico it's been many blue moons and beers since your last update?

Nah mate, you have not been paying much attention.

The new skin fittings went in ages ago. I have been a busy boy since then. Mast down, recondition mast head and turning blocks, new standing and running rigging and mast back up again.

Completely stripped the interior lining out. Windows out and back in again and currently repainting the interior.

You have to realise southace that the yacht is a hobby for me. Something to occupy my mind and work on when I am not busy with other things.

Since the skin fittings were done I have bought and sold six motor vehicles, two houses and a commercial building and bought my wife a sexy red Piaggio Fly 150 motor scooter. Whatever Mamma wants Mamma gets.

This sort of stuff takes up your time you know.

Your question was obviously not conversational.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
6 Jun 2018 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
P.s there's a second hand section for second hand parts I think there was something about selling in forum rules.

I was actually thinking of donating them to somebody worthy. Packaging and freight could be expensive though.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
6 Jun 2018 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Reinstalled my sail cover lazy jack system this morning. Two full days in my sail room re sewing the seams. I had to take it off to replace the zip again but decided to use clips and seat belt tape instead. Lots of repairs and sewed all the seams with double straight stitching in blue thread. The original was all zig-zag thread and just wears away. The white thread visible is the original stuff I did not replace. Added a couple of loops either side to hold the bight of the reefing lines to keep them a little tidier. Next time I will just make a new one!

Planeray
NSW, 213 posts
7 Jun 2018 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Put together a nice modular system for my bilge pump and lights. As my boat's pretty basic on the electrical front, it lets me easily disconnect/reconnect things to only have them on as needed and lets me pull out the battery for charging onshore if the solar panel doesn't manage to keep up.

imgur.com/a/8GOQMit

southace
SA, 4776 posts
11 Jun 2018 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Table moved forward and a new section of lounge fitted next will be the cream macro suede leather!
I love boats!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
13 Aug 2018 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Finally the upolstery fairy made a start and the galley extension finaly started although the pics are not upright!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Aug 2018 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Cut and shut is going well this is what it looks like when I'm healing right over horizontal!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
15 Aug 2018 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hey SA ,do you get bored just hanging around on your yacht , and start renovating for the hell of it ? Or do you think its too heavy , and this is the solution ? .............just asking

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Aug 2018 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
Hey SA ,do you get bored just hanging around on your yacht , and start renovating for the hell of it ? Or do you think its too heavy , and this is the solution ? .............just asking

Not for the hell of it and don't like renovating but I just like things nice so someone has to sort the crap out and it seems it's always me!
One day I will buy a nice yacht already fitted out just the way I like it and I will then sit around and get drunk and fat.

And also I'm trying to bring up this thread that's been slowly sinking. I sometimes wonder I'm the only one doing stuff on boats!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
15 Aug 2018 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Good answer !!!!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Aug 2018 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Can you straiten up my pics? I'm seeing horizontal!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
15 Aug 2018 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

no sorry ....... i,m worse at tencho crap than i am at boat renos !!

woko
NSW, 1592 posts
16 Aug 2018 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

SA, I can assure you ya not the only one doing stuff to boats, it's just since shaggy started the boat pics thread it's not quite the same looking at pics of toilets, fuel tanks etc

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Aug 2018 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

I fitted the stove top and coffee machine trim fitted and first coat of varnish on today, The upolstery fairy has been hard at work re-working the corners of the back bolsters and the design is now finalised! I love boats!
Why do pictures end up upside down on Seabreeze it would be good if they could address this issue!

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
20 Aug 2018 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

I fitted the stove top and coffee machine trim fitted and first coat of varnish on today, The upolstery fairy has been hard at work re-working the corners of the back bolsters and the design is now finalised! I love boats!
Why do pictures end up upside down on Seabreeze it would be good if they could address this issue!

Easily fixed, turn the boat up side down and take the picture.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
20 Aug 2018 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Me too Southace, I always struggle with orientation from my IPhone. I view the photo on the IPhone and take a screenshot of it to fix it!
Finished lashing the mainsail on after fitting the new boom, yay!
Big thanks to Allspars in Brisbane, quick turnaround (3 weeks from go to whoa including powdercoating), priced well and strong, so I'm pretty chuffed with the whole process.
Biggest changes:
-they've run the mainsheet out of the boom in the rear third, where the old one used to be all encased in the boom (the 3:1 is still internal). I'm unsure if it's less load on the mainsheet block as the angle is less?
-the rear sheave cassette mounting, holding the reef and outhaul blocks, is much stronger.

After three odd months it was nice to take her out sailing again. The bum was so dirty we were down a couple of knots of boat speed, but fun none the less.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Aug 2018 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I take pics from my canon g3x then down load them to iPad for posting, seems only Seabreeze forums has a issue with this?

GKandCC
NSW, 218 posts
20 Aug 2018 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Shaggy, I'm far from giving any experts advice but if your mainsheet left the underside of the boom perhaps 0.5m +/- ? ahead of what is shown, would that help to avoid the possibility of your previous problem of the mainsheet snagging the wheel.and not putting any undue pressure on the winches.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
21 Aug 2018 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GKandCC said..
Shaggy, I'm far from giving any experts advice but if your mainsheet left the underside of the boom perhaps 0.5m +/- ? ahead of what is shown, would that help to avoid the possibility of your previous problem of the mainsheet snagging the wheel.and not putting any undue pressure on the winches.

G'day GKandCC,
I know what you mean, but the mainsheet still turns around a rear block that's in the same position (fore and aft) as the last one, ie: directly above the traveller. It's lower on this new one (the prev pic is the new boom), but the test sail showed the same habit regards potential wheel wrap.
It's good practice sheeting in the main before a gybe anyway (which removes the risk) , so I think I just need to stop being lazy!
Cheers,
SB

Edit, let me check that actually. You may be right, I think it may be set forward a bit. Hmmm....I'll check that next time I'm down the boat.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
23 Aug 2018 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted the new suede upholstery now I'm playing around with black front runner it's looking smick I think!

woko
NSW, 1592 posts
23 Aug 2018 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Lookin good SA, and some of the pics are the right way up too, nice !

Windjana
WA, 396 posts
23 Aug 2018 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Southace!!

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
24 Aug 2018 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good!!

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
25 Aug 2018 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

As I crossed the bar today I engaged the windvane. Boat steered fine but the blade seemed to be acting weird. Wandered back for a closer look and noticed the push rod was not connected! SS split rig was missing. Boat was going to windward because it was just balanced. Rummaged through my fishing gear for a snap fitting off a swivel to jury rig the connection. Now I will have to remember to take some spares. Wonder how long that snap hook will be there.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
25 Aug 2018 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

On anchor tonight seen the moon rise genset running and heater on! and having a house party with the new upolstery thank god I don't drink red wine!

Hort
43 posts
27 Aug 2018 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

G,day, this weekend I painted the Argie 15 dinghy I've been building over winter.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2539 posts
27 Aug 2018 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

G'day Hort,
She looks beautiful mate, congrats! Hope you've had time to stop, have a beer and just stare at it!

Hort
43 posts
27 Aug 2018 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, Shaggy, yep I've had plenty of beers during this project...

FelixdeCat
NSW, 234 posts
2 Sep 2018 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Fitted all the winches, deck orgasers, jib tracks, boom, sails and shook down the new rig, just the headsail for now.

All went fine. Ready to hoist the main next time out.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin