Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4776 posts
15 Sep 2018 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

I thought I should relocate the microwave into my new renovations.....I love boats!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
17 Sep 2018 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Prior to joining this forum I re-built and sailed a Dunc 37 I finshed her sailed her and then sold her and purchased a larger vessel that doesn't need the full rebuild but and enjoy living on board and fitting it out to my comfort zone . I'm not sure what your getting at but I just enjoy posting what I did on my boat today that's all. You seem to have a habit of pulling boas apart and never doing any cruising? Miy yacht is turn the key and throw the lines anytime.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
17 Sep 2018 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Also I have removed close to 200kg of the previous owners rubbish and my own. I'm not sure how you can accuse me off adding my rubbish to my yacht as I'm only moving stuff around and re modelling as it should be. My yachts are turn the key and go sailing most days!
and please explain What are you talking about pussy any wild sex?

Zzzzzz
513 posts
18 Sep 2018 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

No wonder this thread is going quiet, the average joe Blow would be to embarrassed to post pictures of his yacht after seeing Southaces photo's

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
18 Sep 2018 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

I put my Sailmaster up on the slip on Saturday and after 3 days of hard work (I had Sunday off) she is ready to go back in the water tomorrow

It was the normal antifoul, polish the topsides and pressure clean the decks we also did some painting on the deck and i gave the prop a coat of hard antifoul (poor mans propspeed) that my mate had laying around

I also squirted some grease (thanks Ramona) in the rudder tube and this has taken a bit of play out of the rudder shaft

When i bought the boat the geona tracks had been moved about 10 inches inboard and the original holes filled and the deck outside of the creame anti slip was painted cream but the paint never covered correctly and looked dodgy

Also on port tack with the starboard rail and deck in the water water would drip through one of the original holes and we would have water in one of the cupboards (fibreglass lined luckily)

We sanded the dodgy paint down and gave it a couple of coats of white interdeck so now it looks a lot nicer and is now non slip as well and hopefully the thick interdeck (a bit like painting with thick honey) will fill the leaky hole and keep the water out

I have been battling something nasty the last week and my sailing mate Rob did a lot of the work while i stood around coughing my guts out

Regards Don

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
18 Sep 2018 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

geez you did well slipping her on saturday ! must have been bad down there it was really crap here in vic on sat !!
good work !!

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
18 Sep 2018 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
geez you did well slipping her on saturday ! must have been bad down there it was really crap here in vic on sat !!
good work !!

Hi Sands

It was fairly quite in the morning when we put her on but it blew pretty hard on Saturday afternoon and night so we put the 4 additional ropes holding her down onto the cradle and the halyards out each side from the top of the mast to the fence around the slip

The weather has been a mixture of not bad to crap but we have been lucky to be able to do the painting in the not bad and luckily it was dry when the crap came

The boat side fairly solid on the cradle as she has a long wide keel and the sheds around the slip area give a bit of protection from the north west wind '

'Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
19 Sep 2018 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

I put her back on the mooring this morning and once again the weather gods were kind to me as it didn't start raining until i was off the boat and back home

It is nice to know she is clean again and i look forward to taking her for a sail when the weather improves because at the moment it is a bit ordinary

Regards Don

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
21 Sep 2018 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Benefit of a co-owner handy on the tools. Homemade quick removable Davits.

woko
NSW, 1592 posts
21 Sep 2018 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Free radical that's a very tidy bit of work.
While servicing the machinery today I got to use a vacuum pump to drain the transmission, up till now it's been a case of take a hose of the oil cooler start the engine put it in gear and try to catch the flow, not allways successfully, and never getting the whole 3.5L. This gadget not only got all the oil but also got an amount of grunge that would of otherwise been impossible to collect. Five stars

Hort
43 posts
23 Sep 2018 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

G'day, sorry about the sideways photos.
i launched the Argie 15 I built over winter yesterday. I used the rig, rudder, centreboard, fittings & trailer from an old NS14 I had. The rest is 7 sheets of 6mm marine ply 10litres of epoxy,fribregass cloth & some Tassy oak. & 180 hours labour.
She he sailed surprisingly well for the first time out. Breeze was 10kn increasing to 20kn later.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
23 Sep 2018 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

good work !!!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
7 Oct 2018 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Some rather expensive sailing bling added to my mighty Icon today!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
7 Oct 2018 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

nice . what was there before ?

southace
SA, 4776 posts
7 Oct 2018 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Something like this set up was 30 years old! Crisco kid offered me a deal to buy basicly the same I declined and went the expense but happy with the choice.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
7 Oct 2018 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

what does the sheet shooting off sideways do ?

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
7 Oct 2018 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

is that to stop boom wobble at mooring ?

southace
SA, 4776 posts
7 Oct 2018 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

It's just a retainer nothing worse than a boom rocking and roling.
Need to service the traveller it needs greasing not sure how to handle that job I will work something out soon.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
7 Oct 2018 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Got the trusty camera out and took a few snap shots , Should get 50 mm more on my mainsail tension! And re attach the head board to the tides marine track!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
7 Oct 2018 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

looks like the same gigantic bird has been sitting on your windex as well as mine !!!!!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
7 Oct 2018 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

My Raymarine is more better I get a stiff neck looking 15 meters a above deck!

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
7 Oct 2018 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Something like this set up was 30 years old! Crisco kid cisco offered me a deal to buy basicly the same

That is not correct. What I told you at the time was that you did not have your existing sheeting set up correctly and the blocks probably needed servicing.

What I offered you was a complete set of Fico Ronstan blocks, yes the same vintage but virtually unused and the double block with becket brand new. That would have solved your expressed problem at the time of being squeaky and not powerful enough. Having the sheet twisted over itself is a glaring mistake.

The blocks were offered with the $50 shackles included. Just to refresh your memory they are pictured again below.

The shackle from block to traveller look light on. You could do with one of those $50 shackles

Please get your facts straight when quoting.

FreeRadical
WA, 855 posts
7 Oct 2018 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Got the trusty camera out and took a few snap shots , Should get 50 mm more on my mainsail tension! And re attach the head board to the tides marine track!

I gotta ask? What is the point of a crap knot, with a D shackle, with a swivel with a snap shackle? Quadrupling your chance of failure?

southace
SA, 4776 posts
8 Oct 2018 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreeRadical said..

southace said..

I gotta ask? What is the point of a crap knot, with a D shackle, with a swivel with a snap shackle? Quadrupling your chance of failure?

It's my understanding the halyard crapy knot is a rigging knot it's stitched in. It would be better to loose the snap shackle or D shackle I agree,

lydia
1793 posts
8 Oct 2018 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Can I ask why you would not just tie the halyard directly to the headboard.
Less fittings to trust and every year just cut to a new bit of tail.
Just a thought.
The real issue is that the sail track in too short.

Bananabender
QLD, 1588 posts
8 Oct 2018 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

I do not believe I have ever noticed blocks attached to a sail near the head . Downhaul?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
8 Oct 2018 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the leach line BB. Allows adjustment from the mast rather than precariously hanging off the boom.

Bananabender
QLD, 1588 posts
8 Oct 2018 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Makes sense SB.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
8 Oct 2018 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Bugger. A hydraulic leak on the keel ram.
We had a two day regatta on the weekend, I was prepping the boat on Friday night when I noticed the hydraulic fluid was low on the keel. Ended up adding a litre which was worrisome. I made a mental note to keep an eye on it and off we went.
Coming back in yesterday afternoon, the keel took a lot longer than normal to lift. Checked the fluid, it was low and we had almost lost pressure again.
Oh dear.

The issue appears to be the last time it was lifted for antifouling, they yard boys didn't put a wooden block between the keel and the hull, so I believe we overextended the ram and popped a shaft seal.
To get the ram out is a poisoned chalice. Access is excellent, but the keel needs to be fully extended to allow removal of the ram (it's unloaded when down). We'll need to open the lid of the keel box which is easy , it just needs a lot of time, muscle and a torque wrench.
Where to do it is the next challenge. Doing it in the dock is risky. High tide is ok, but if we run into problems and we hit low tide I'd be sitting 1mtr out of the water on an unlocked keel. Eek.
Can't do it at the club, as we're too beamy to fit any cradles with the keel down, so its up the river to Rivergate or down to Coomera to Boatworks.
I'll probably use the Boatworks, its a nice leisurely sail down.

The Kingfisher series is starting at the end of this month, which is an excellent 4 race series of night racing. You sail on the full moon every month for a 4 month block from October. I wish they had more races, it's fantastic sailing, one that I do not want to miss.

Any suggestions for a local hydraulics guru out there?

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
8 Oct 2018 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Would ENZED be the go Shaggy, They seem to be everywhere.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin