Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Jolene
WA, 1564 posts
16 Aug 2019 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

Thanks 2bish,
Great post, and put me down as another for hating hoses. Looking at the pics made my lower back start hurting in sympathy, even with what looks like pretty good access .

I agree about the hoses. I make my own fittings and connectors because I was sick of cutting and wrestling hoses in limited space. I find it a safety issue if you can't simply remove a hose. A lot of hose barbs you buy are made for gripping plastic hose and are too aggressive on soft rubber.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2515 posts
17 Aug 2019 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jolene said..

shaggybaxter said..

Thanks 2bish,
Great post, and put me down as another for hating hoses. Looking at the pics made my lower back start hurting in sympathy, even with what looks like pretty good access .

I agree about the hoses. I make my own fittings and connectors because I was sick of cutting and wrestling hoses in limited space. I find it a safety issue if you can't simply remove a hose. A lot of hose barbs you buy are made for gripping plastic hose and are too aggressive on soft rubber.

Hi Jolene,
I'd love to see some pics. I wish I was that talented to be able to just engineer stuff. I had to repair a small split on the end of my exhaust hose (from sweating and cursing with a screwdriver trying to pry it off), and the %^&*$# stainless steel strength member necessitated a 4" grinder and cutting wheel to fix in situ as it was too hard to get the mongrel thing out.

Jolene
WA, 1564 posts
17 Aug 2019 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a couple of pictures
Below,, the fitting on the left is a purchased hose joiner ( for my exhaust )with very aggressive barbs. Next to it is the one I use that is dead smooth and has a plug in it to drain the exhaust hose if I require, A smear of roof and gutter around it and a hose clamp and your in business. A bit of a pry and a twist to separate it.
The smaller fitting I made is for the raw water seacock Got into trouble with an off the shelf aggressive style barb having to cut the rubber hose from it twice,,,, leaving the hose too short and then having to replace the hose. The new fitting allows the hose to come off in about 10 seconds with a bit of a twist and no damage to the hose.

Below are just various other fittings for engine plumbing that I have made with smooth barbs for rubber hose.
Again on the left/ top is a purchased fitting with aggressive barb that I am replacing.

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
18 Aug 2019 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Aries bolted on the stern using the SS bracket for my old windvane. Easy to swap both over. Oar blade left off for now. Off to Japan Monday for 3 weeks so no sailing for a bit.

garymalmgren
1134 posts
18 Aug 2019 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ramona.
I live in Sendai 35 kilos north of Tokyo.
Any chance of making int up here for a sail?

Gary

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
18 Aug 2019 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
garymalmgren said..
Hi Ramona.
I live in Sendai 35 kilos north of Tokyo.
Any chance of making int up here for a sail?

Gary

Thanks Gary but I wont even ask my wife on that one! We have 3 days in Tokyo then it's a cruise ship around Japan and Korea/ Russia. Have sailed in Japan in an interservice regatta in 1966. I have no idea where it was though now.

garymalmgren
1134 posts
18 Aug 2019 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Gotcha on the conferring with the wife part.
Have a good trip.

gary

Planeray
NSW, 208 posts
20 Aug 2019 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Finished up most of my electrical refit over the weekend. I now have wind data, GPS & heading showing on a plotter. Only thing left is to build a small shelf to install the heading sensor on and finally attach the swingarm to the attachment point I epoxied on the other week (forgot a piece when I went out there). Oh, and tidy up the way the cables run, getting rid of the old stuff.

But I'm super happy with the new solar panels and controller being on there - it had been chugging along with a very old and damaged 40W panel with an eBay PWM controller, it's now got 2x30W panels in parallel to a Victron MPPT controller, so that's a pretty big upgrade alone!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2515 posts
20 Aug 2019 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Planeray said..
Finished up most of my electrical refit over the weekend. I now have wind data, GPS & heading showing on a plotter. Only thing left is to build a small shelf to install the heading sensor on and finally attach the swingarm to the attachment point I epoxied on the other week (forgot a piece when I went out there). Oh, and tidy up the way the cables run, getting rid of the old stuff.

But I'm super happy with the new solar panels and controller being on there - it had been chugging along with a very old and damaged 40W panel with an eBay PWM controller, it's now got 2x30W panels in parallel to a Victron MPPT controller, so that's a pretty big upgrade alone!

Love the B&G Planeray!
Don't envy you, looks like a big job too. I spend more time trying to make wiring all neat and tidy than I do on the actual job itself.

2bish
TAS, 811 posts
20 Aug 2019 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Planeray said..

Looking good Planeray, you must be pleased with the install. I'm looking foreward to adding some solar down the track, I like the look of your controller and app.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
21 Aug 2019 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got the new solar controller fitted suppose to be Bluetooth via a app on iPad but couldn't find it! Turns out it needs to be the smart version at $500 not for $400 so had to re-order a blue tooth dongle to make it smart for another $79 ....grrrr I hate technology and waiting! Make sure it is the Smart version if you want the new blue tooth built in version. I can't monitor the solar at present but can see a good difference in my volts in this cloudy cold weather.

Planeray
NSW, 208 posts
22 Aug 2019 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Finally got the new solar controller fitted suppose to be Bluetooth via a app on iPad but couldn't find it! Turns out it needs to be the smart version at $500 not for $400 so had to re-order a blue tooth dongle to make it smart for another $79 ....grrrr I hate technology and waiting! Make sure it is the Smart version if you want the new blue tooth built in version. I can't monitor the solar at present but can see a good difference in my volts in this cloudy cold weather.

Ah yeh, I almost did the same thing - BlueSolar is the normal one, SmartSolar is the one with bluetooth inside.

Interestingly, there's also the Lorawan module (www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/ve-direct-lorawan) which plugs into either, and will transmit for free to the internet to let you monitor from anywhere.

sunycoastguy
QLD, 222 posts
26 Aug 2019 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

My job got delayed for a week so had the choice to go sailing for a week or pull boat out and paint topsides and antifoul.
Ended up painting one week turned into 2 weeks of long hard work. Ive done enough sanding for my lifetime, never again, but gee it turned out smicko

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
26 Aug 2019 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work scg. She really looks the part.

What stamp of boat is she again??

sunycoastguy
QLD, 222 posts
27 Aug 2019 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
Nice work scg. She really looks the part.

What stamp of boat is she again??

Nantucket 31 with new poly u 400 on topside thanks to a few seabreezers recommendations
Now makes the deck look crappy, but that will be a job for another year.

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
27 Aug 2019 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

I was looking at her hull form and thinking, Adams 31??, but no. My great mate has one and she is completely different below the waterline.
Cheers.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
18 Sep 2019 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

A big day on the slip today

We pulled her out at 9am and after 12 months there was lots of slime and only a few small barnacles on the hull but the prop and cutless bearing housing was covered with barnacles

Last time it was out used one coat of Hempel soft on the huill and a second coat on the waterline and leading edges and a hard (not sure what brand it was) that a mate had laying about on the prop and housing

We blasted her off, and scraped off the barnacles, gave her a scrub, acid washed the top sides, gave her one full coat, polished the topsides while it was drying, and late in the afternoon put a second coat on the waterline and leading edges, put a coat of soft on the prop and pressure washed the bird crap off the deck and dodger

Pulling off the masking tape and putting her back in the water tomorrow morning ready for the first race of the season on Saturday

All in all it was a good day with blue skies, a bit of a breeze and no drama's

Regards Don

termite
NSW, 283 posts
23 Sep 2019 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Don that is classic plastic! I didn't realise there was a H28 with a skegless rudder. Must be the fastest version going. Cheers Bill

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
23 Sep 2019 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
termite said..
Looks great Don that is classic plastic! I didn't realise there was a H28 with a skegless rudder. Must be the fastest version going. Cheers Bill

Hi Termite

People assume she is a H28 but the Sailmaster 845 is a different boat under the water

In a newspaper article at the time Kahn Walker said he designed the Sailmaster 845 as a lighter faster alternative to his Walker H28

Regards Don

Ramona
NSW, 7474 posts
24 Sep 2019 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Test day today for my Aries installation. I was a little concerned it would not perform in light conditions as well as my home built SS masterpiece but I was impressed! Sailing in the fresher NE later in the day it handled superbly as expected. Dead downwind in a light breeze will be the test. Ignore the crappy control lines they are just temporary.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
25 Sep 2019 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

16 meters of window grinding started today. It took months of thinking and will take weeks of repairing but I think I have the right tool set up now and the plan in place.
I really don't understand why they didn't finish the cabin with frames around the windows , after glassing the ply wood cabin they cut the window size with a recess sika the window in and painted. Bad decision really on a ply /glass cabin with flush windows!
Problem is the weather gets into the laminates of eglass and delaminates glass from ply. So the plan is to fix what I can and I have a shipwright making frames that I will sika on .

The frames will be fully coated in epoxy and two pack And cabin sides will be in satin white aqua trim.and the kiwi grip decks.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
2 Oct 2019 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Finally fitted a new smaller wheel to Icon , now I can actually walk around it! I love boats!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
12 Oct 2019 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Windows ground out , epoxied and sealed , under coated finally the cabin side! Next is the deck finished in kiwi grip and white satian auqua trim.

Azure305
NSW, 400 posts
12 Oct 2019 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Those windows look great Southace! - I'm very inspired. And I like that coveline too....hmmm, more to do on the the list now

southace
SA, 4761 posts
13 Oct 2019 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

A good day to pull the oven out and give it a tickle clean up! I love boats!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
3 Nov 2019 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Icon finally got her cabin sides painted white and the windows all fixed! Blue Non skid and new jib car track to be fitted and jobs done! I love boats!

oldboyracer
NSW, 292 posts
6 Nov 2019 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

It was supposed to be antifoul and go but..... Found out the exhaust had a small hole in the high rise 180 degree bend above waterline so replaced that . Tried to screw the mounting bracket back into the rear bulkhead , umm no bulkhead . Replaced rotted section of bulkhead . Now moving on to getting ready to head south ,check weather ....not yet

UncleBob
NSW, 1210 posts
6 Nov 2019 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..
It was supposed to be antifoul and go but..... Found out the exhaust had a small hole in the high rise 180 degree bend above waterline so replaced that . Tried to screw the mounting bracket back into the rear bulkhead , umm no bulkhead . Replaced rotted section of bulkhead . Now moving on to getting ready to head south ,check weather ....not yet

You just love fixing those bulkheads, don't you?

Saskia II
14 posts
8 Nov 2019 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Jumped in the water at the Marina, scraped and scrubbed the bum, raced and had a win at the Thursday Twilights on the Gold Coast. Averaged 5.8 kts SOG, which ain't bad for a 46 yr old Compass 29

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Nov 2019 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Saskia II said..
Jumped in the water at the Marina, scraped and scrubbed the bum, raced and had a win at the Thursday Twilights on the Gold Coast. Averaged 5.8 kts SOG, which ain't bad for a 46 yr old Compass 29

that a great average speed !!!

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin