Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Chris249
357 posts
13 Jun 2019 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Mutineer? I think she was always sitting on the mooring without moving when I was a kid. Always seemed like a waste that she didn't move much when she was a hot new machine.

EDIT - I may be thinking of a timber decked flush cabin version that was near Northbridge Sailing Club.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
13 Jun 2019 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

I fitted a Raycor 500 fuel filter to replace the Delphi one, got my water pump pumping again, and fixed a hole in my galley tap spout.

Cabron
QLD, 363 posts
14 Jun 2019 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris249 said..
Mutineer? I think she was always sitting on the mooring without moving when I was a kid. Always seemed like a waste that she didn't move much when she was a hot new machine.

EDIT - I may be thinking of a timber decked flush cabin version that was near Northbridge Sailing Club.

I wish I could find some history on her, all I know is the last 8 years in Pittwater occasionally used for a night away camping out. Originally I think she did some offshore work, was set up with HF radio, davits, adjustable rear and baby stays, a brace in the gallery, and lee cloths for hot bunks, liftraft mounts, a few old laminate sails... not normal items found on a Harbour yacht I presume.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
14 Jun 2019 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..
I fitted a Raycor 500 fuel filter to replace the Delphi one, got my water pump pumping again, and fixed a hole in my galley tap spout.

the fitted cats seem to work well

Ramona
NSW, 7470 posts
15 Jun 2019 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..

I have the Chinese version of that Raycor filter. Takes the same paper elements. Mate reckons the turbo part visible in the clear bottom section is supposed to rotate when the engine is running. Mine is fixed and I cannot see any reason for it to rotate. Can you take a look at yours one day and see if it moves? Thanks.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
15 Jun 2019 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..

The crew look a bit lazy !!!

Cabron
QLD, 363 posts
17 Jun 2019 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cabron said..
The stick fell off the boat today!

And getting some new strips, polish and a bum wash, with new Main/Head Halyards, Outhaul and Reefing lines..

And off travelling for work again, so needed a part time project.... New Nav system!!! Got a Raspberry PI, installed Openplotter/OpenCPN, tested in hotel room.... very happy.
Will replace my MacBook backup Nav, got the GPS input running, charts installed, VNC viewer/server so I can use the monitor inside for planning, and viewing and editing on IPad/IPhone, NMEA -Seatalkng converter on its way so all instrument data back to Raspberry PI/ Opencpn, and broadcast to all mobile devices!! Can take AIS receiver but I don't need at the moment, next step is to install in boat and hopefully output all NMEA and Seatalk data to AP and future I70...
Wasnt as complex as I thought, and to replace a $$$ MacBook with a $60 box the size of a computer mouse seems a win win!!!

Very cool switching between Navionics App and Opencpn on my IPad at helm!! As I need a on board Wifi network for VNC to connect all, then I'll put in a couple spare SONOS speakers that my neighbors won't miss in... 2 Nav systems, 3 viewing screens, multiple data sources and music at all locations!!

Raspberry PI... Awesome!!!!
Yes, that little board is a computer with 4 USB, HDMI, SD card, Ethernet and lots of cool add on's if required( and yes, it does have a protective box for final installation..

UncleBob
NSW, 1210 posts
17 Jun 2019 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..

McNaughtical said..

I have the Chinese version of that Raycor filter. Takes the same paper elements. Mate reckons the turbo part visible in the clear bottom section is supposed to rotate when the engine is running. Mine is fixed and I cannot see any reason for it to rotate. Can you take a look at yours one day and see if it moves? Thanks.

I have a pair of them and no nothing rotates. They are designed to get the fuel moving in a circular path as it is sucked through the turbo bit, probably works well if you have a high enough volume passing through but I reckon that with the typical sailboat engine consumption of a couple of litres an hour that feature is probably moot.

Concepcion
SA, 93 posts
17 Jun 2019 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Rebuilt the Hurth Gearbox with new seals, thrust washers, clutch plates and bearings. Managed to break the aluminium cover while on press & lost a springed pin - that cost me a slabs to get my engineer mate to remake - he did so in 15mins!
Wow, the geniuses who invented and designed these simple gearboxes amaze me. Hope I don't have to do this again for another few years.

Azure305
NSW, 400 posts
17 Jun 2019 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work! last pic looks just like a new one - you must be happy

Busybee
21 posts
19 Jun 2019 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

C29 Deviation was up on the slip in Tweed Heads for a bum scrape, spot prime and antifoul. I lifted the waterline to the original water line, at some stage the water line had been dropped and was too low at the bow. I changed the seawater intake valve for the toilet as the previous valve handle was nowhere to be found and it looked like it came from Bunnings. Sanded and varnished the washboards while waiting for things to dry and also had a shaft anode machined down to fit on the shaft as this had been omitted by the previous owner.

saltiest1
NSW, 2485 posts
23 Jun 2019 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

New fuel tank (bladder 150litre after splitting tank through Bass Strait) 2x 120 hr batteries, new 135% jib, serviced all winches, new fuel lines all stainless with in line strainer plus 2 in line filters. Secured noisy cables in bast, all new seacocks. Antifoul and cutlass bearing replaced. Autopilot brace tore off hull on Bass Strait so that's also been glassed back onto hull and additional support installed. New windows throughout and engine just serviced.
That's enough for 3 months I think.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
5 Jul 2019 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted a bench under the microwave to complete my galley/garage refit, its removable so I can get to the freezer. I'm thinking now I have enough bench space to make a sanga or fix stuff!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
16 Jul 2019 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

If boats were part of the food chain, spinnaker sheets would definitely be a predator and stanchions one of their play things.
Straightening three bent victims before a Cat 3 audit this weekend, which they would not have passed.
I really hate bent stanchions and loose lifelines., so am very happy to tick this one off the list.

Bananabender
QLD, 1564 posts
16 Jul 2019 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Took the boat up to Horizon Shores yesterday for a long overdue antifoul , change of dyneema keel rope ,cut and polish and a few other odds and ends
. I wish you Southerners would keep the cold winds down there. OMG it was cold motoring into a twenty knot Westerly for an hour even with my greasy wool and spray jacket on at 700hrs. The fork driver had five layers of upper clothing on ,and a pair of shorts..
I've had the Sonata for two years now and she's pretty exciting sailing solo in a breeze . I want a bigger boat for a bit more comfort stuff it .

Found out why I had trouble achieving 5 Knots .

Yara
NSW, 1262 posts
16 Jul 2019 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bananabender said..
Took the boat up to Horizon Shores yesterday for a long overdue antifoul , change of dyneema keel rope ,cut and polish and a few other odds and ends
. I wish you Southerners would keep the cold winds down there. OMG it was cold motoring into a twenty knot Westerly for an hour even with my greasy wool and spray jacket on at 700hrs. The fork driver had five layers of upper clothing on ,and a pair of shorts..
I've had the Sonata for two years now and she's pretty exciting sailing solo in a breeze . I want a bigger boat for a bit more comfort stuff it .

I'm guessing the keel rope failed and that is why it is hanging down and fouled? Many t/s boats lift the keel to minimise fouling on a mooring, but then have difficulty dropping it if not done often enough.

Bananabender
QLD, 1564 posts
16 Jul 2019 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yara said..

Bananabender said..

I'm guessing the keel rope failed and that is why it is hanging down and fouled? Many t/s boats lift the keel to minimise fouling on a mooring, but then have difficulty dropping it if not done often enough.

No ,Actually the keel rope has been on for two years and is fine . I just think it's prudent to change . Keel was left down for lift to pressure wash
Usually leave it up ,when I remember. It jammed once and by slackening rope and jumping up and down beside keel box it dropped so I leave it hanging 10 cms from top .

garymalmgren
1132 posts
16 Jul 2019 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

I know what you mean BB. Sailing with a fender down slows me down too. LOL

Gary

Bananabender
QLD, 1564 posts
16 Jul 2019 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
garymalmgren said..

I know what you mean BB. Sailing with a fender down slows me down too. LOL

Gary

boty
QLD, 685 posts
16 Jul 2019 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bananabender said..

at least the fishing must be good

Bananabender
QLD, 1564 posts
16 Jul 2019 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boty said..

Bananabender said..

at least the fishing must be good

Ha, If only I had realised.

Lazzz
NSW, 870 posts
12 Aug 2019 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

With all this cold weather we're having lately I decided to install a heater.
Finally got the exhaust plumbing finished today & fired it up - to say I'm impressed is an understatement. It certainly pumps out the heat, is very quiet & draws very low amps as well.
I have two outlets - one aft & one forward which pumps hot air into the bedroom. It has a remote so I can turn it on while laying in bed to warm the place up before I get up!! I'll have to study how to set the timer!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
12 Aug 2019 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..
Finally got the exhaust plumbing finished today & fired it up - to say I'm impressed is an understatement. It certainly pumps out the heat, is very quiet & draws very low amps as well.
I have two outlets - one aft & one forward which pumps hot air into the bedroom. It has a remote so I can turn it on while laying in bed to warm the place up before I get up!! I'll have to study how to set the timer!

Very nice it's next on my list after just ordering this which flattened my boat dollars. www.ebay.com.au/itm/271875528915
Your start battery appears a bit low lazzz?

2bish
TAS, 810 posts
14 Aug 2019 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

Sounds good Lazzz, ebay jobbie is it? do you have a link? Love to see some pics of your exhaust too?

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
14 Aug 2019 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

A very impressive unit being able to provide 8000w from 12 volts that equates to pulling about 600 amps . Yeah I know it's just the typical Chinese blurb and it can't provide 8000 electrical watts but that's what they put on everything to make it more impressive, it just seemed funny to see it there.

2bish
TAS, 810 posts
15 Aug 2019 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

I've had Mawson out of the water for almost two months now, it's been a mission! High word count warning!!

So I've scraped and sanded antifouling back to a solid base. Man it was thick and lumpy and cratered and I'd be very happy to never have to do that again . Some large patches of antifoul weren't properly bonded and they flaked back to the barrier or gel coat. It looks like no tie coat was used and on a previous occasion they'd tried getting a chemical bond with the barrier coat. Talking with the Wattyl rep down here, that is possible if you get your timing spot on, but Wattyl won't guarantee it, they want the tie coat over the barrier coat, then the antifoul layers. So I treated all those areas with Wattyl PR 250 barrier/undercoat, then tie coat, then 3 coats of antifoul all over.

I also removed the rudder. There was quite a bit of wear and play in the lower part of the rudder bearing, it's a 70mm ID bronze tube around 30cm high that's fiberglassed into the hull, and the bottom of the tube was slogged out causing the rudder to knock sometimes. Both the top end of that tube and the upper bearing bronze bush mounted in the cockpit floor were ok and not worn. I followed the West System epoxy repair method for this fix. It's an epoxy, colloidal silica and graphite mixture which I smeared up into the cleaned and keyed section of the bush along with a length of HDPE machined to 70mm and inserted as a dummy shaft into the entire bush right up to the top bush in order to keep alignment while the epoxy set. It seems to have worked, it looks and feels solid, but time will tell...

On inspecting the rudder itself, there was clearly water intrusion and I reckon a good litre drained out. I could see a crack in the upper part of the rudder running out from the stock, so it looks like its been heavily stressed at some time. As well as this, there was some corrosion around the stock and top of rudder body interface. So I cut a big hunk out and opened up the top part of the rudder and stock, (it's one of those dough filled constructions and there were some cracks running through the dough allowing water penetration). I probably opened up a notch 25 x 25 cm or so. I just wanted to get a good look at what corrosion was on the shaft internally. And while there was a little light surface corrosion, there wasn't anything nasty. I had the local metal expert look at it and he wasn't concerned. So that was a much better outcome than having to mold and then remake the rudder entirely. I cut some slots in the bottom of the rudder and continually flushed fresh water through it over a couple of weeks and then let it dry out. Then I filled in the cut out section with an epoxy and balloons mix, and re fiberglassed the sides and top to strengthen and seal it all up again. The whole rudder was completely stripped back to gel coat, faired with compound and coated with barrier coat. At this point I ran a bead of Sikka around the shaft to rudder intersection, my thinking is that this may offer a bit more of a flexible barrier if there's any extra stress and bumps to the rudder and may keep it sealed and waterproof a bit longer. It's a big hunk of spade rudder on the Scanner 391 and I imagine that loosing control of it in reverse, and having it slam over, would put enormous stress on it.

Over the last few days I've moved the engine and lifted the saildrive out so that I can change the seals. Volvo recommend every 7 years. The seal itself looks absolutely fine though and you hear about them still being fine after 15 years or more. But if it were to fail and sink the boat, the insurance company would probably have grounds to reject a claim I imagine? The most time consuming part of the engine removal was getting the darn hoses off their spigots, talk about tedious. I must have taken an hour just to get the exhaust hose off the heat exchanger. I also faffed about for ages trying to coax the sail drive out of the hole in the hull, but no matter which way I angled and twisted it, it just wasn't going to work. And that wasn't at all like how easy it seemed on YouTube . I finally twigged that I needed to remove the lower prop shaft/ gear assembly (10 min job), then it lifted out easily. I'm sure if I did this all again it would only take half the time or less, it just takes so long first time round with this stuff doesn't it?

Still more to do, to be continued... can't wait to go sailing again!

Lazzz
NSW, 870 posts
15 Aug 2019 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish said.

Sounds good Lazzz, ebay jobbie is it? do you have a link? Love to see some pics of your exhaust too?

Yeah mate, ebay - www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-Shell-12V-8KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-Thermostat-Remote-RV-Caravan-Motorhome/233247145109?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Exhaust runs out the transom through a bilge pump outlet.

Select to expand quote
2bish said..
The most time consuming part of the engine removal was getting the darn hoses off their spigots, talk about tedious. I must have taken an hour just to get the exhaust hose off the heat exchanger.

Great effort 2bish!! It will be a different boat when you get back in the water!!

I can agree about getting the old hoses off. I just replaced my 75mm wet exhaust hose - what a mission

Lazzz
NSW, 870 posts
15 Aug 2019 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..
A very impressive unit being able to provide 8000w from 12 volts that equates to pulling about 600 amps . Yeah I know it's just the typical Chinese blurb and it can't provide 8000 electrical watts but that's what they put on everything to make it more impressive, it just seemed funny to see it there.

Works pretty well

When you start it up (with or without remote) the LCD screen shows what's going on - it winds over for a bit, then the a glow plug, then it pumps diesel in & then you can hear the actual motor/heater catch, with the screen letting you know what's happening!! The LCD screen is also the thermostat - very technical.

I'll have no chance of fixing it if something goes wrong.

I'm having some fuelling issues at the moment because, instead of using the separate little fuel tank that is supplied, I am drawing from my main fuel tank & the little pump won't suck it through. I'm going to install another fuel pump before the little heater one.

2bish
TAS, 810 posts
16 Aug 2019 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..
New fuel tank (bladder 150litre after splitting tank through Bass Strait) 2x 120 hr batteries, new 135% jib, serviced all winches, new fuel lines all stainless with in line strainer plus 2 in line filters. Secured noisy cables in bast, all new seacocks. Antifoul and cutlass bearing replaced. Autopilot brace tore off hull on Bass Strait so that's also been glassed back onto hull and additional support installed. New windows throughout and engine just serviced.
That's enough for 3 months I think.

You've been busy mate! Looking good!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2514 posts
16 Aug 2019 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish said..
I've had Mawson out of the water for almost two months now, it's been a mission! High word count warning!!

So I've scraped and sanded antifouling back to a solid base. Man it was thick and lumpy and cratered and I'd be very happy to never have to do that again . Some large patches of antifoul weren't properly bonded and they flaked back to the barrier or gel coat. It looks like no tie coat was used and on a previous occasion they'd tried getting a chemical bond with the barrier coat. Talking with the Wattyl rep down here, that is possible if you get your timing spot on, but Wattyl won't guarantee it, they want the tie coat over the barrier coat, then the antifoul layers. So I treated all those areas with Wattyl PR 250 barrier/undercoat, then tie coat, then 3 coats of antifoul all over.

I also removed the rudder. There was quite a bit of wear and play in the lower part of the rudder bearing, it's a 70mm ID bronze tube around 30cm high that's fiberglassed into the hull, and the bottom of the tube was slogged out causing the rudder to knock sometimes. Both the top end of that tube and the upper bearing bronze bush mounted in the cockpit floor were ok and not worn. I followed the West System epoxy repair method for this fix. It's an epoxy, colloidal silica and graphite mixture which I smeared up into the cleaned and keyed section of the bush along with a length of HDPE machined to 70mm and inserted as a dummy shaft into the entire bush right up to the top bush in order to keep alignment while the epoxy set. It seems to have worked, it looks and feels solid, but time will tell...

On inspecting the rudder itself, there was clearly water intrusion and I reckon a good litre drained out. I could see a crack in the upper part of the rudder running out from the stock, so it looks like its been heavily stressed at some time. As well as this, there was some corrosion around the stock and top of rudder body interface. So I cut a big hunk out and opened up the top part of the rudder and stock, (it's one of those dough filled constructions and there were some cracks running through the dough allowing water penetration). I probably opened up a notch 25 x 25 cm or so. I just wanted to get a good look at what corrosion was on the shaft internally. And while there was a little light surface corrosion, there wasn't anything nasty. I had the local metal expert look at it and he wasn't concerned. So that was a much better outcome than having to mold and then remake the rudder entirely. I cut some slots in the bottom of the rudder and continually flushed fresh water through it over a couple of weeks and then let it dry out. Then I filled in the cut out section with an epoxy and balloons mix, and re fiberglassed the sides and top to strengthen and seal it all up again. The whole rudder was completely stripped back to gel coat, faired with compound and coated with barrier coat. At this point I ran a bead of Sikka around the shaft to rudder intersection, my thinking is that this may offer a bit more of a flexible barrier if there's any extra stress and bumps to the rudder and may keep it sealed and waterproof a bit longer. It's a big hunk of spade rudder on the Scanner 391 and I imagine that loosing control of it in reverse, and having it slam over, would put enormous stress on it.

Over the last few days I've moved the engine and lifted the saildrive out so that I can change the seals. Volvo recommend every 7 years. The seal itself looks absolutely fine though and you hear about them still being fine after 15 years or more. But if it were to fail and sink the boat, the insurance company would probably have grounds to reject a claim I imagine? The most time consuming part of the engine removal was getting the darn hoses off their spigots, talk about tedious. I must have taken an hour just to get the exhaust hose off the heat exchanger. I also faffed about for ages trying to coax the sail drive out of the hole in the hull, but no matter which way I angled and twisted it, it just wasn't going to work. And that wasn't at all like how easy it seemed on YouTube . I finally twigged that I needed to remove the lower prop shaft/ gear assembly (10 min job), then it lifted out easily. I'm sure if I did this all again it would only take half the time or less, it just takes so long first time round with this stuff doesn't it?

Still more to do, to be continued... can't wait to go sailing again!

Thanks 2bish,
Great post, and put me down as another for hating hoses. Looking at the pics made my lower back start hurting in sympathy, even with what looks like pretty good access .

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin