Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4762 posts
30 Aug 2020 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Icon got her new Main sail ,Selden boom and rod kicker fitted, looking forward for a test sail once the current weather system passes.

r13
NSW, 1476 posts
30 Aug 2020 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Better than perfect right there. Who is the sail maker I can't place that insignia?

southace
SA, 4762 posts
30 Aug 2020 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..
Better than perfect right there. Who is the sail maker I can't place that insignia?

Adelaide based sail maker. , yep she can be set flat as a board now. The rod kicker spring will need to be changed as I'm currently using the topping lift to support the boom once the sail is loaded into the stack pack bag. And a few more minor adjustments to the one line reefing systems.

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
30 Aug 2020 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nice

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
30 Aug 2020 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nice

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2516 posts
31 Aug 2020 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Cleaned the bilges and de-cluttered ready for the kids school holidays. I've taken a ton of stuff off, all ready for the kids to promptly put another ton of stuff back on .

I've learnt now not to bother attacking it with just rags and a bucket as I used to just push the dirt around as much as get rid of it. Now, it is throw the cushions and floor panels up in the cockpit, hose down the floor till its partly swimming, add some detergent and scrub away. When it's clean, you wet vac up the few gallons of water and all those hard to get corrners come up nice and clean.
Wait an hour, then floorboards and cushions back in. So much easier.

Wavesong
QLD, 145 posts
31 Aug 2020 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Cleaned the bilges and de-cluttered ready for the kids school holidays. I've taken a ton of stuff off, all ready for the kids to promptly put another ton of stuff back on .

I've learnt now not to bother attacking it with just rags and a bucket. Now, it is throw the cushions and floor panels up in the cockpit, hose down the floor till its partly swimming, add some detergent and scrub away. When it's clean, you wet vac up the few gallons of water and all those hard to get corrners come up nice and clean.

Nice work Shaggy.
Where are you guys heading for the hols?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2516 posts
31 Aug 2020 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SV Wavesong said..

shaggybaxter said..

I've learnt now not to bother attacking it with just rags and a bucket. Now, it is throw the cushions and floor panels up in the cockpit, hose down the floor till its partly swimming, add some detergent and scrub away. When it's clean, you wet vac up the few gallons of water and all those hard to get corrners come up nice and clean.

Nice work Shaggy.

G'day SV,
I'm thinking south end of the bay this time. Spend a couple of day stooging around then work our way down the inside to the Broadwater, marvel at the seamanship on display then park up at Sanctuary Cove for a decadent lunch or brekky.
It's either that or Hervey Bay which is really tempting, but knowing the kids we'll have to be home for a birthday party or something hence the bay idea.
Are you getting away?

Stockie
NSW, 343 posts
31 Aug 2020 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

r13 said..

Adelaide based sail maker. , yep she can be set flat as a board now. The rod kicker spring will need to be changed as I'm currently using the topping lift to support the boom once the sail is loaded into the stack pack bag. And a few more minor adjustments to the one line reefing systems.

Select to expand quote
southace said..

r13 said..

Very nice Southace, nothing nicer than hoisting a new sail. I Remember overhearing comments from a lady on a cat to her husband, asking him, how come that yachts sail are so white!

if you haven't already googled and downloaded Selden documents, there is some great PDF files on setting single line reefing. I replaced my boom recently and it was helpfully getting it all correctly orientated.

cheers Richard

Stockie
NSW, 343 posts
31 Aug 2020 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

r13 said..

Select to expand quote
southace said..

r13 said..

Very nice Southace, nothing nicer than hoisting a new sail. I Remember overhearing comments from a lady on a cat to her husband, asking him, how come that yachts sail are so white!

if you haven't already googled and downloaded Selden documents, there is some great PDF files on setting single line reefing. I replaced my boom recently and it was helpfully getting it all correctly orientated.

cheers Richard

Wavesong
QLD, 145 posts
31 Aug 2020 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

SV Wavesong said..

shaggybaxter said..

Nice work Shaggy.

G'day SV,
I'm thinking south end of the bay this time. Spend a couple of day stooging around then work our way down the inside to the Broadwater, marvel at the seamanship on display then park up at Sanctuary Cove for a decadent lunch or brekky.
It's either that or Hervey Bay which is really tempting, but knowing the kids we'll have to be home for a birthday party or something hence the bay idea.
Are you getting away?

Either plan sounds good .

Yes, children's commitments haha. We'll get out for a few days, however, youngest has a music program in the midst of the hols (if it doesn't get cancelled or relegated to Zoom).

Spent a week down Canaipa Passage during that ferocious westerly. Probably not the wisest decision I've ever made to traverse the Bay in weather like that, however, the boat handled it well and I learnt heaps from the experience.

Heading out again on Wednesday for another week. Hope to see some whales this time

lydia
1726 posts
1 Sep 2020 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SV Wavesong said..

shaggybaxter said..

SV Wavesong said..

shaggybaxter said..

Nice work Shaggy.

G'day SV,
Are you getting away?

Yes, children's commitments haha. We'll get out for a few days, however, youngest has a music program in the midst of the hols (if it doesn't get cancelled or relegated to Zoom).

Spent a week down Canaipa Passage during that ferocious westerly. Probably not the wisest decision I've ever made to traverse the Bay in weather like that, however, the boat handled it well and I learnt heaps from the experience.

Heading out again on Wednesday for another week. Hope to see some whales this time

Well done, you made a good decision to go T.

Wavesong
QLD, 145 posts
1 Sep 2020 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..

SV Wavesong said..

shaggybaxter said..

SV Wavesong said..

shaggybaxter said..

Nice work Shaggy.

G'day SV,
Are you getting away?

Well done, you made a good decision to go T.

Thanks mate

2bish
TAS, 812 posts
2 Sep 2020 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Icon got her new Main sail ,Selden boom and rod kicker fitted, looking forward for a test sail once the current weather system passes.

Looking good! let us know how it goes?

2bish
TAS, 812 posts
2 Sep 2020 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

I've learnt now not to bother attacking it with just rags and a bucket as I used to just push the dirt around as much as get rid of it. Now, it is throw the cushions and floor panels up in the cockpit, hose down the floor till its partly swimming, add some detergent and scrub away. When it's clean, you wet vac up the few gallons of water and all those hard to get corrners come up nice and clean.

Ah! the calm before the storm Shaggy. Have a great trip! Maybe post a picture of the tempest in action?

southace
SA, 4762 posts
2 Sep 2020 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2bish said..

southace said..

Looking good! let us know how it goes?

I posted test sail on "where did you go on your boat today"

sun fisher
NSW, 36 posts
4 Sep 2020 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I've got a bit more of a long term project boat i'm fixing up.
21ft Trimaran, the more i look the more issues there are, but she should be nice and quick once finished.
Yesterday scraping paint found big area of bog delamination...
I think it probably needs to all go, problem is below this area is all glassed over, so will be a pain to remove if it goes much further.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
4 Sep 2020 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sun fisher said..
21ft Trimaran, the more i look the more issues there are, but she should be nice and quick once finished.
I think it probably needs to all go, problem is below this area is all glassed over, so will be a pain to remove if it goes much further.

hate to be a bearer of bad tidings but it looks as if they haven't keyed the top layer over the bottom layer it will probably be most of the boat maybe just feather in refair and hope for the best neat boat though

sun fisher
NSW, 36 posts
4 Sep 2020 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boty said..

sun fisher said..

hate to be a bearer of bad tidings but it looks as if they haven't keyed the top layer over the bottom layer it will probably be most of the boat maybe just feather in refair and hope for the best neat boat though

Thanks boty, that's exactly what it is, very shiny layer underneath which was never sanded. It seems to be isolated patches so far though (fingers crossed), i have sanded about 1/3 of the boat already. There is a small one near the bow which i might just feather in like you said. But this one is right below the forward beam, so i would expect it to be a pretty highly loaded area, not something i want to worry about if i ever get caught out in bad weather.

Azure305
NSW, 400 posts
4 Sep 2020 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Cockpit teak was looking pretty sad, some of it up to 31yrs old - I was inspired by the results of Lazzz and Moonlighting, so it had to go.
From this:

.....to this:

I had to use some actual teak, required for locker and rear seat handles, toeholds and over the throttle.

Pretty happy with the results -
(teak not sanded yet)

All finished -

Waaaaay more comfortable to sit on now!

r13
NSW, 1476 posts
4 Sep 2020 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

sublime effort right there take the weekend off.

southace
SA, 4762 posts
4 Sep 2020 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Azure305 said..
Cockpit teak was looking pretty sad, some of it up to 31yrs old - I was inspired by the results of Lazzz and Moonlighting, so it had to go.
From this:

.....to this:

I had to use some actual teak, required for locker and rear seat handles, toeholds and over the throttle.

(teak not sanded yet)

All finished -

Nice work. Did you recycle the teak or replace it? Looking closer is it stick on? Can't see screws and plugs?

garymalmgren
1134 posts
4 Sep 2020 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Azure
That is GREAT.

What are you doing next weekend?
i have a few little bits that need you attention.

gary

Stockie
NSW, 343 posts
4 Sep 2020 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

What a transformation, that cockpit looks so much more inviting now. well done Azure

Lazzz
NSW, 872 posts
4 Sep 2020 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Looks fantastic :)

Azure305
NSW, 400 posts
4 Sep 2020 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, it was worth the effort.

Southace - replaced the edges with new- properly screwed, plugged and faired, but yep the rest is the same gear that Lazz and Moonlighting used.

Thanks Gary - Id love a trip over there - you pay for the flights and I'll be there! ...... on no, wait, this covid thing......

Azure305
NSW, 400 posts
4 Sep 2020 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

Azure305 said..
From this:

.....to this:

(teak not sanded yet)

All finished -

Nice work. Did you recycle the teak or replace it? Looking closer is it stick on? Can't see screws and plugs?

I did keep all the old teak, I'll mill it down at the Shed and find a use for it eventually

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2516 posts
4 Sep 2020 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Wow. That looks awesome Azure, great job.

Wavesong
QLD, 145 posts
5 Sep 2020 6:08AM
Thumbs Up

Lovely. Looks a treat

garymalmgren
1134 posts
19 Sep 2020 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Interior refit.
40 years of wear and tear showed.
So, new work surfaces ( table , stove top, sink top and ice box top).
These are 13 mm exterior ply with high grade walnut laminex.
New locker fascias. 5 mm ply with white laminex.
Interior of lockers painted and LED strips fitted in lockers and above work surfaces.
My mate is a shopfitter so he saved leftovers for me.
Total cost about $60.

Gary

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin