Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
r13
NSW, 1551 posts
19 Sep 2020 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Top effort right there Gary - so you are a shipwright, cabinet maker, spark and interior decorator all in one. Assume that overhead reel is a Penn Senator of some model? What is the biggest fish you have caught with it? And with what bait or lure? And where?

john24
84 posts
19 Sep 2020 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great. I like the use of the LED strips.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
20 Sep 2020 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Nice job there gary.

Might one assume this is the practise run before refitting a 34 footer.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2020 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Still can't decide between 32" or the 40" smart TV, or perhaps just the old school 24" 12volt that's in current use.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Sep 2020 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

I seem to enjoy removing , adding and leaving some parts on yachts.
This hinged seat on gas strut was well built but a hindrance to my needs. Now removed it will be wrapped up and stored in the bilges. The transom doors will remain open 95% of the time.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
21 Sep 2020 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted a 40" smart TV and made the crew cabin bed.

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
21 Sep 2020 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

What makes the TV "smart"?
My idea of sailing is getting away from all that being in touch with the false world and being in touch with the real world.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
22 Sep 2020 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
My idea of sailing is getting away from all that being in touch with the false world and being in touch with the real world.

Smart Tv connects to my phone hotspot or onboard wifi and enables streaming Netflix,utube etc. it's onboard entertainment.
My idea of sailing is cruising , exploring , traveling , relaxing and living aboard full time away from the land lubbers.

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
22 Sep 2020 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

40 inch TV and the sound bar is the way to go. Looking nice.

PacificStar
NSW, 53 posts
22 Sep 2020 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

cisco said..

Smart Tv connects to my phone hotspot or onboard wifi and enables streaming Netflix,utube etc. it's onboard entertainment.
My idea of sailing is cruising , exploring , traveling , relaxing and living aboard full time away from the land lubbers.

been thinking about upgrading our tv (presently 24") but cannot find any bigger sizes that are 12v. is your new one 12v or are you using an inverter ?

if 12v, can you tell me make n model ? thanks

cheers,

southace
SA, 4776 posts
22 Sep 2020 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PacificStar said..

southace said..

cisco said..

been thinking about upgrading our tv (presently 24") but cannot find any bigger sizes that are 12v. is your new one 12v or are you using an inverter ?

cheers,

32 " is the largest 12volt TV I'm not sure if they do a smart model though.
im going to run the 40" through a inverter coupled to 2x lithium battery's. Surprising it says on the back it only draws 70w which is very little draw considering the size.

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
22 Sep 2020 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

PacificStar said..

cheers,

G'day Chris,

I went with the 12v 32" from Englaon instead of a Smart TV & use a Google chromcast to get Netflix & YouTube etc.
My previous was 240v using the inverter & I much prefer the 12v. I have another 12v 24" Englaon in the bedroom & have had no problems with either.

Great support from Englaon - I broke the remote sender off the TV when installing it & they sent me a new one

Achernar
QLD, 387 posts
22 Sep 2020 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

+1, but each to his or her own.

PacificStar
NSW, 53 posts
22 Sep 2020 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..

PacificStar said..

cheers,

G'day Chris,

I went with the 12v 32" from Englaon instead of a Smart TV & use a Google chromcast to get Netflix & YouTube etc.
My previous was 240v using the inverter & I much prefer the 12v. I have another 12v 24" Englaon in the bedroom & have had no problems with either.

Great support from Englaon - I broke the remote sender off the TV when installing it & they sent me a new one

thanks !

cheers,

Azure305
NSW, 402 posts
22 Sep 2020 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Instead of slipping this time around, i went up on the hard for 3 days to do a few extra things.
After the pressure wash and wet sanding (not by me, my elbows are past it!) she got -
Topsides acid wash.
Removed old waterline tape and blended the edge that was left.
Reset the waterline - up 25mm at bow, to up 55mm at stern, prepared and primed.
Removed the factory original orange pinstripe above the blue boot stripe.
New flowcoat(3 coats) up from old waterline to top of new boot stripe.
New boot stripe in a more modern colour (Dark Grey) down from 110mm to 75mm wide.
New matching logo at bow (thanks to a good friend with a vinyl cutter)
Also did some gelcoat repairs, especially the transom edge.
Between all this she also got 3 full coats of AF, with extra coats on waterline and leading edges etc, and extra full coat on rudder.
Ran out of time with a new matching colour cove line yet to do, bugger!

Obligatory before and after pics:
- wasn't too bad under when it came out, but between the waterline and boot stripe was just cr*p, and couldn't be saved.

Going back in, 8am Monday.

- She likes her new waterline and sits pretty well on it I think.

r13
NSW, 1551 posts
22 Sep 2020 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Superb effort and result there Azure.
Sorry to ask but if your waterline needed to be raised 25mm at the bow and 55mm at the stern that is a lot of extra mass in the yacht to need that - I could estimate / calculate the waterplane area and use the average extra draft 40mm to work out the added extra water volume displaced - hence the added mass which has been included on your yacht. It would be a sizeable number relative to your designed displacement. Trust you are keeping a watch and control of your yachts additional equipment and whether all of it is needed.

sailboatdata.com/sailboat/first-305-beneteau

saltiest1
NSW, 2496 posts
22 Sep 2020 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Azure305 said..
Instead of slipping this time around, i went up on the hard for 3 days to do a few extra things.
After the pressure wash and wet sanding (not by me, my elbows are past it!) she got -
Topsides acid wash.
New boot stripe in a more modern colour (Dark Grey) down from 110mm to 75mm wide.
Between all this she also got 3 full coats of AF, with extra coats on waterline and leading edges etc, and extra full coat on rudder.

- wasn't too bad under when it came out, but between the waterline and boot stripe was just cr*p, and couldn't be saved.

Woolwich

Great yard.

Azure305
NSW, 402 posts
23 Sep 2020 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
r13 said..
Sorry to ask but if your waterline needed to be raised 25mm at the bow and 55mm at the stern that is a lot of extra mass in the yacht to need that - I could estimate / calculate the waterplane area and use the average extra draft 40mm to work out the added extra water volume displaced - hence the added mass which has been included on your yacht. It would be a sizeable number relative to your designed displacement. Trust you are keeping a watch and control of your yachts additional equipment and whether all of it is needed.

Thanks r13 I probably should have said 'raised the anti-foul' - it would be more accurate.
Extra weight is kept to a minimum and carefully distributed, but there are "cruising" additions over the years which had never been accounted for - 2x100L s/s water,solar,extra batteries and anchor, etc.
There was very little actual change to be dealt with, but I took a cue from a past post by Sirgallivant who was struggling with scum just above the waterline, and I just went up a bit with the AF to compensate for the prevailing conditions where I'm moored.
Because stern section is so flat, there needed to be a bit of a flare to make it 'look right' and overlap the old AF, so that's where the 55mm estimate came from.
Unfortunately the angle of the pic and the wind chop on the water didn't really help to show it off too well, but it does sit nicely.

Azure305
NSW, 402 posts
23 Sep 2020 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
saltiest1 said..

Azure305 said..
Topsides acid wash.

Woolwich

Great yard.

Yep, everyone at Woolwich Dock were great.
It makes it so much easier when you can park the car next to the boat on a weekend.

BTW everyone - 5000 posts on this topic, with over 450k views. Pretty amazing!!

Kinora
VIC, 176 posts
23 Sep 2020 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Well, this may be cheating because I didn't do any of the work myself. We are still locked down in Melbourne so paid Mac Marine in Pittwater to do the work.

Jobs done were:
- water blast, sand and new antifoul (waiting to hear what brand given the current discussions)
- polish topsides
- gate valves replaced with ball valves, new through-hull fittings
- anchor winch service
- Lavac and associated plumbing removed, full service and reinstalled
- new seal on forward hatch

Now waiting for the restrictions to lift, hopefully we can travel interstate in late October. Then it will be the standing and running rigging, some day trips to become familiar with her and then the delivery to Paynesville late this year or early 2021.

Waiting is hard ...

Cheers,
Kinora

DrogueOne
VIC, 203 posts
23 Sep 2020 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good! Looks like new.
You cover the cost so you get to show it off.
Awful to have that work being done and not be able to be involved.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
23 Sep 2020 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Out comes the hand shower and in goes the fixed shower!
I'm officially now the first person to shower in this bathroom as the drain sump was never plumbed for discharge.
Tomorrow I will fit electric sump pump out and fit a larger vanity sink faucet tap and vanity mirrors!
I love boats! But Hate plumbing! ??

southace
SA, 4776 posts
23 Sep 2020 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yesterday I pulled a timber panel out so I can run some HDMI cables for the TVs , was surprised the quality of all the vented loops and the solid stainless compression post!
I'm Still not sure where all them loops end up but slowly working things out. Full credit to this Aussie boat builder!

r13
NSW, 1551 posts
23 Sep 2020 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Azure305 said..

r13 said..

Thanks r13 I probably should have said 'raised the anti-foul' - it would be more accurate.
Extra weight is kept to a minimum and carefully distributed, but there are "cruising" additions over the years which had never been accounted for - 2x100L s/s water,solar,extra batteries and anchor, etc.
There was very little actual change to be dealt with, but I took a cue from a past post by Sirgallivant who was struggling with scum just above the waterline, and I just went up a bit with the AF to compensate for the prevailing conditions where I'm moored.
Because stern section is so flat, there needed to be a bit of a flare to make it 'look right' and overlap the old AF, so that's where the 55mm estimate came from.
Unfortunately the angle of the pic and the wind chop on the water didn't really help to show it off too well, but it does sit nicely.

Ok good one Azure, apologies I should have realised that was what you meant.

Azure305
NSW, 402 posts
23 Sep 2020 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

No worries, my mistake. When i re-read the post it did sound a bit alarming!

2bish
TAS, 815 posts
27 Sep 2020 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

I finally got my holding tank pump repaired and installed back into the starboard lazarette. It was actually a seized bearing in the electric motor, and of course, all the seals and the impeller needed replacing too. The motor itself was pristine inside and looked to be better quality compared to the Jabsco one I had to repair recently. I couldn't get a service kit for this as it's an Italian brand that's no longer supported here in Aus. The bearing and seals were all sourced easily and cheaply at a local bearing supply shop and Sam Allen Wholesale was very helpful in identifying another brand of impeller that I could swap into it, so thanks heaps to them for that. The rest of the rat's nest of plumbing you can see in the photo is a bypass system I installed. With this, I can isolate the pump with a stop valve and divert around it to gravity feed the output of the tank if anything breaks again. And of course, I'll be able to remove the pump with minimal mess even with a full holding tank.

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
29 Sep 2020 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Just finished 4 days on the hard for anti foul, polish & 5 year survey to keep Club Marine happy!

After 20 months I thought it would be worse than what it was. This is the first time I haven't had any scrubs in between haul outs - I'm a poor old pensioner now!! The worst was the waterline so I'll make an effort this time to get in the water & give the waterline a scrub.

I am pretty happy with Altex No5 so I put another 10 lts on again this time.

I am extremely happy with the survey - particularly the use of the word "excellent" 9 times :)
He did ping me for out of date flares which I could have sworn I bought "just the other day"!!

southace
SA, 4776 posts
29 Sep 2020 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..
Just finished 4 days on the hard for anti foul, polish & 5 year survey to keep Club Marine happy!

After 20 months I thought it would be worse than what it was. This is the first time I haven't had any scrubs in between haul outs - I'm a poor old pensioner now!! The worst was the waterline so I'll make an effort this time to get in the water & give the waterline a scrub.

I am pretty happy with Altex No5 so I put another 10 lts on again this time.

I am extremely happy with the survey - particularly the use of the word "excellent" 9 times :)
He did ping me for out of date flares which I could have sworn I bought "just the other day"!!

She looks slick mate. Flares are the most common thing marine safety like to check on. Also PFD life jackets should be checked along with EPIRB expires but often goes unoticed. My EPIRB on the new boat had expired in 2016 I'm suprized previous survey did not pick this up. I added a new gps EPIRB model today and registered with AMSA complicated online service. ??

Craig66
NSW, 2460 posts
29 Sep 2020 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

"excellent"
possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good.

And what would he have said if you opened your bar fridge ???

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
29 Sep 2020 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

And what would he have said if you opened you bar fridge ???

I did - he just shook his head!! It just so happened I had just restocked - I don't know what happens to it. :)

Select to expand quote
southace said..

She looks slick mate. Flares are the most common thing marine safety like to check on. Also PFD life jackets should be checked along with EPIRB expires but often goes unoticed. My EPIRB on the new boat had expired in 2016 I'm suprized previous survey did not pick this up. I added a new gps EPIRB model today and registered with AMSA complicated online service. ??

The jackets were good mate, all 11 of them. He pulled each self inflating apart to check the cannisters. I did these 6 months ago.

Epirb still has a few years left yet - I think the GPS type are worth the extra $$$.
I just had to verify my contacts etc with AMSA (online) - must be every few years or so they want you to update your info.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin