Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
18 Mar 2024 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SeanTsv said..
Lazzz,
One trap when pickling. Make sure you use water that has been through a carbon filter to mix your pickling solution so you don't get chlorides in your membrane. I have a filtered water outlet in the galley sink so easy to do.

Sean

Sounds good.
If you just stick the intake hose from this pump into the water you wouldn't need a jerry Can

Yeah, I have a carbon filter that I can run the tank water through to fill the pickling bucket.
I have detailed instructions printed out so I don't make mistakes!!

Saltuarius
QLD, 47 posts
19 Mar 2024 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

I bought it . Well alright it was last Friday, but it is a bit exciting, so I'm posting it here as something I did to it .

cammd
QLD, 3777 posts
29 Mar 2024 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted the bimini I have been making this morning, now sitting at anchor admiring my work

PLanter4
NSW, 106 posts
29 Mar 2024 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Well Done !
Enjoying the fruits of your labour !
? Anchored close to a Port,out of the channel ?
Mason

cammd
QLD, 3777 posts
29 Mar 2024 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PLanter4 said..
Well Done !
Enjoying the fruits of your labour !
? Anchored close to a Port,out of the channel ?
Mason

Port Of Brisbane, tucked in behind St Helena Island well out of the channel.

A pic of us leaving the harbour today sent from a friend. Got the windsurfer onboard hoping to do some foiling over at the Moreton Isl Sandhills tomorrow or Sunday.

PLanter4
NSW, 106 posts
29 Mar 2024 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Living the Dream !
Mason

Serb1980
367 posts
31 Mar 2024 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

I made a splash back for my Hunter 356

Before and after

cammd
QLD, 3777 posts
7 Apr 2024 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't do anything to the boat today but while looking for some lost jewellery I discovered lubrication points for the steering cables. I have had the boat three years now and didn't know they were there. Better get the grease gun out now.

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
21 Apr 2024 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Made a cup of tea, charged the portable vhf, got the back off the h3000, dried the bilge, put new batteries in the torches..

happy days

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
23 Apr 2024 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

I've been "laid up" with my leg in plaster & not able to get to the boat so it is time to set up my new Raspberry Pi5.

Not very neat at the moment - all just temporary until installed.
This new Pi5 is so much faster than the previous Pi4 and now using an NVMe SSD card is faster again!!!

Ramona
NSW, 7583 posts
2 May 2024 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

I have been busy cleaning out mould from my boat. I used the Aldi hospital grade mould remover/cleaner and it did a particularly good job. My boat has a really good ventilation set up and I was surprised how bad the mould was. Inside the slightly opened front hatch alloy frame and the Seabird ventilators were the worst areas! The cloth cushion covers are a real problem and so far I have just sponged them with the cleaner and hope that kills the spores.
My mate come over for a chat and to show me his new interior lights he just bought off eBay. The quality is simply outstanding. Solid and quite heavy aluminium with decent rubber O rings.
www.ebay.com.au/itm/395246636063?var=663836116244

wongaga
VIC, 620 posts
2 May 2024 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Resurrected a slipping Lewmar D1 rope clutch by putting a 2mm SS packing piece under the spring foot to give it a bit of-preload tension. Priced new dominoes at close to $200 shipped from old Blighty (WW's Melbourne won't supply them). WTF!

Madmouse
394 posts
2 May 2024 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
I have been busy cleaning out mould from my boat. I used the Aldi hospital grade mould remover/cleaner and it did a particularly good job. My boat has a really good ventilation set up and I was surprised how bad the mould was. Inside the slightly opened front hatch alloy frame and the Seabird ventilators were the worst areas! The cloth cushion covers are a real problem and so far I have just sponged them with the cleaner and hope that kills the spores.
My mate come over for a chat and to show me his new interior lights he just bought off eBay. The quality is simply outstanding. Solid and quite heavy aluminium with decent rubber O rings.

The eBay listing says 6500k color temp which is an extremely cold light. Did you see them in action?

Ramona
NSW, 7583 posts
2 May 2024 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madmouse said..

Ramona said..

The eBay listing says 6500k color temp which is an extremely cold light. Did you see them in action?

No he had them in his hand!

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
2 May 2024 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

I'm on my second RS422/485 usb converter. Bought the isolated one this time. Taking NMEA from the H3000 and the A+T MFD but I cannot get meaningful NMEA data no matter what I do..

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
2 May 2024 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonE said..
I'm on my second RS422/485 usb converter. Bought the isolated one this time. Taking NMEA from the H3000 and the A+T MFD but I cannot get meaningful NMEA data no matter what I do..

Hi JonE,
If I remember correclty, the default port for NMEA on the H3000 is the USB port. There was a jumper internally to switch between the serial port and the USB. Have you tried the USB port?
Another dim memory cell was that the H3000 was RS232, not RS422/485.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
2 May 2024 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JonE said..

Just to clarify, you are only trying to receive (listen) from a single transmitterr (talker), correct?
When I reread your post it sounds like you have two talkers transmitting to one listener, (which definitely wouldn't work).

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
2 May 2024 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..

JonE said..

Just to clarify, you are only trying to receive (listen) from a single transmitterr (talker), correct?
When I reread your post it sounds like you have two talkers transmitting to one listener, (which definitely wouldn't work).

Correct. The H3000 has NMEA out. The a+t also has it. I've tried both, with 2 different usb rs422 dongles (including an isolated one) and straight into serial on the pi. The baud rate is correct (4800) and I get the identical results from both bits of equipment.

tried with laptop and pi

I've tried powering the pi with a Buck converter from the boat's power same results.

If I had to guess, by looking at the data, I would say the data is inverted, but switching the pins gives no data at all so that's not the fix.

Edit: sorry, just read your first post. I don't have the cables for the serial or usb ports on the h3000 - I think if I did I would be off to the races. I'm using the NMEA Out port which is on regardless of jumper position.

if I could get the cable for usb or serial I would be very happy!

If the NMEA port is RS232 that could explain it, but then very interesting that the A+T is the same?

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
2 May 2024 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi JonE,
Just a suggestion, as a test, change your PI/Laptop end to an RS232 adaptor, not RS422. The reason I say that is an RS232 'listener' will work with an RS422 or RS232 'talker'.
Just wire :
- the RS232 RX pin on your PC side to the TX+ / TXA / A pin (the generic names for the TX pin on the talker side). If you have one, do not wire the second TX- / TXB / B pin on the talker to anything; and
- Connect the ground wire

See if that works :)

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
3 May 2024 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi JonE,
I was in between renders for a work project and had some time to kill, so I put together a quick and simple animation on RS232 v 422 and how to test your serial output for NMEA devices.
I've used this before when I don't know whether the Txmitter is RS232 or RS422.

If you have an RS232 to USB adaptor for your PI/latpop end (Jaycar and such have them for about 30 dollars) then this might help you put to bed the RS type.
Sadly, it doesn't work the other way around. You can't use a RS422 receiver to interpet an RS232 transmitter (it needs the B wire signal, which RS232 doesn't have).

Apologies if you already know this, but if not I hope this helps!
Cheers,
SB

Edit: There are some nuances to all this, such as when you want to have more than one listener, but for a test setup using one listener this should work fine in getting data to flow properly.

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
4 May 2024 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaggybaxter said..
Hi JonE,
I was in between renders for a work project and had some time to kill, so I put together a quick and simple animation on RS232 v 422 and how to test your serial output for NMEA devices.
I've used this before when I don't know whether the Txmitter is RS232 or RS422.

If you have an RS232 to USB adaptor for your PI/latpop end (Jaycar and such have them for about 30 dollars) then this might help you put to bed the RS type.
Sadly, it doesn't work the other way around. You can't use a RS422 receiver to interpet an RS232 transmitter (it needs the B wire signal, which RS232 doesn't have).

Apologies if you already know this, but if not I hope this helps!
Cheers,
SB

Edit: There are some nuances to all this, such as when you want to have more than one listener, but for a test setup using one listener this should work fine in getting data to flow properly.

Oh man you are a LEGEND!

soldered the d9, terminated the two wires in the h3000, plugged the (new rs232) dongle into the pi and booted it. As soon as I fire up signal k it's flashing the data source so I just fired up navionics and it's getting live depth data??????

off to office works to get a usb powered touch screen tomorrow.

thanks so much

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
6 May 2024 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

My Pypilot turned up, so I have been setting this up as my backup autopilot.

Great bit of gear which connects to the Raspberry Pi5.

This unit was 20 times cheaper than the Course Master I bought 9 years ago!!

Many sailors are using this as their main AP but I will have a couple of toggle switches that I will be able to switch from one to the other.

This backup auto pilot can be controlled from the chart plotter, as well as other means, running on the Pi5!!

The whole Pi5 & Pypilot stuff is all Open Source, so it just keeps improving as the Raspberry Pis keep getting better!!

Gotta say though, it's keeping my aging brain active!!

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
6 May 2024 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lazzz said..
My Pypilot turned up, so I have been setting this up as my backup autopilot.

Great bit of gear which connects to the Raspberry Pi5.

This unit was 20 times cheaper than the Course Master I bought 9 years ago!!

Many sailors are using this as their main AP but I will have a couple of toggle switches that I will be able to switch from one to the other.

This backup auto pilot can be controlled from the chart plotter, as well as other means, running on the Pi5!!

The whole Pi5 & Pypilot stuff is all Open Source, so it just keeps improving as the Raspberry Pis keep getting better!!

Gotta say though, it's keeping my aging brain active!!

Is that the "mid power motor controller"? That's insane for 100 bucks.

I have a Raymarine ST4000 tiller drive and st4000 controller that only takes seatalk input. If I get the pi-pilot controller I can ditch the raymarine controller and use the tiller drive ram. The Pi will be getting gyro heading etc from the H3000.

Kankama
NSW, 683 posts
6 May 2024 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Love my PyPilot Lazz, but it was my son that got it going. Great bit of gear that runs a really husky worm drive motor. Still the whole thing works so much better than my Raymarine and most of the time draws less than 1 amp.

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
6 May 2024 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

JonE said..

Is that the "mid power motor controller"? That's insane for 100 bucks.

I have a Raymarine ST4000 tiller drive and st4000 controller that only takes seatalk input. If I get the pi-pilot controller I can ditch the raymarine controller and use the tiller drive ram. The Pi will be getting gyro heading etc from the H3000.

Yep, the mid power controller. It will drive my Raymarine T2 Linear Drive.
I will be using the Pi5 with an ICM-20948 IMU & GPS & all my wind data etc. via NMEA200 from my Raymarine MFD.

I have all my data from the MFD feeding the Pi5 & all other data, temps, batteries, etc from the Pi5 feeding the Raymarine MFD via NMEA2000!!

Select to expand quote
Kankama said..
Love my PyPilot Lazz, but it was my son that got it going. Great bit of gear that runs a really husky worm drive motor. Still the whole thing works so much better than my Raymarine and most of the time draws less than 1 amp.

Yep, great bit of gear, it just keeps improving!!

The Pi5 is so much faster than the Pi4 & with the SSD it's faster again & safer!!

I'm guessing you have the Pypilot computer with a motor controller as a package.

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
9 May 2024 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Went to the second spreader and put new lazy jack lines through the existing bocks and was pleasantly surprised to see cleats ready to go mounted on the mast by the boom.

Then I went to the top to check the vhf antenna and by then i'd had more than enough thanks very much.

cammd
QLD, 3777 posts
12 May 2024 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Fitted a victron cerbo gx and touch screen. First step towards having tank levels available without having to physically look. Need a couple of cables to connect the battery monitor and pv and then get some tank level senders for water and fuel

julesmoto
NSW, 1505 posts
24 May 2024 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Glass out conditions today and yesterday on Pittwater so finally did the flush of the raw water system on my Bukh DV24.

I have been meaning to do it for a year and a half but cannot get the bolts out that hold the thermostat housing together.

Anyway I have noticed that there is a 22 millimeter access bolt in the lower part of the thermostat housing into which the water passes after circulating through the block and which is of course separated from the bypass circuit above when the engine is cold and the thermostat shut.

I removed this bolt which thankfully is BSB and so with a couple of Bunnings plumbing fittings turned this into a nipple to which I connected a hose.

To further complicate the situation however the used raw water injection into the exhaust has a Y fitting so that there is not only a feed from the bypass chamber just above the thermostat but also a feed from underneath the exhaust manifold which comes from who knows where.

Anyway when I hooked the whole system up I was pleased to note that as acid was coming back into the bucket not only from the bypass circuit but also from the circuit that I tapped into below the thermostat so after running for 80 minutes I am just about to disconnect the lot and give it a couple of flushes.

jbarnes85
VIC, 291 posts
4 Jun 2024 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

installed this a while ago but just gave it a good test sailing to the Whitsundays from Sydney. My boat had no clutch or block for the furling line. This could get spicy when furling in a blow. I didn't want to install a clutch as I didn't want more holes in the deck as water pools there when not in use. I bought this spinlock block with a built in clutch/jammer and it worked very well. Needs a bit of tension to remove the jammer jaw when under load when the sail is semi furled but never more than a pull with the hands.

JonE
VIC, 265 posts
4 Jun 2024 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Oil change. Don't buy the cheap electric transfer pumps, they're c&$p. Managed to spill almost no oil in the bilge but was peeved to get a drop of new oil on one of the cushions..

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin