Armstrong HS 1850

Created by kobo > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2020
hilly
WA, 7294 posts
30 Sep 2020 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Can555 said..
What are guys finding the upper limit in wave size for surfing and wind strength for winging? Anyone messing with a chopped 232 and 1850?

For winging I use 212 tail with 60 fuse 0 shim and 850 mast. Really nice combo especially for riding swells depowered. Caught some solid swells with no issues.

Windoc
388 posts
1 Oct 2020 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Can555 said..
What are guys finding the upper limit in wave size for surfing and wind strength for winging? Anyone messing with a chopped 232 and 1850?

For winging I use 212 tail with 60 fuse 0 shim and 850 mast. Really nice combo especially for riding swells depowered. Caught some solid swells with no issues.

Thanks Hilly. I'm running the +1 shim for SUP and Wing, standard 232 tail, 60 fuse. Haven't tried the 0 shim yet. What will I feel using the 0 shim? More lift, stability, less speed?

bluewave
43 posts
1 Oct 2020 4:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

toppleover said..

Filow said..
There is a HS 1250 Coming too then?

Yep, early September apparently.

And here's a pic of it to froth on

Yup I'm frothing...can't get one soon enough...

hilly
WA, 7294 posts
1 Oct 2020 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Can555 said..

hilly said..

Can555 said..

Thanks Hilly. I'm running the +1 shim for SUP and Wing, standard 232 tail, 60 fuse. Haven't tried the 0 shim yet. What will I feel using the 0 shim? More lift, stability, less speed?

I vacillate between 232, 212, 0 and +1 Combos. The 212 feels faster and more nimble and the 0 shim gives a more positive feel in turns for me. Went to +2 using a washer which felt ok. All the combos have their little positives. Sick of chopping and changing so settled on the most consistent feel.

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
1 Oct 2020 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone using the 50 fuse with the 1850 for prone ?

fatfish96
14 posts
11 Oct 2020 6:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bluewave said..

toppleover said..

toppleover said..

Filow said..

I hear from another forum that the 1250 is being released on the 16th, next week!

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
11 Oct 2020 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fatfish96 said..

bluewave said..

toppleover said..

toppleover said..

Filow said..

I hear from another forum that the 1250 is being released on the 16th, next week!

From what I have heard they will be released this week, so hope see something from this Monday onwards & 1st shipments will leave the factory on the 16th.

I've preordered & hope to have one in a few weeks.

Windoc
388 posts
16 Oct 2020 6:24AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone jumping the 1850? I imagine stress is high around the boxes of the board with a foil this big, or is this not such a concern? Interested to hear experiences. 1250 looks sweet and hope to get one soon for a 2 wing set-up.

hilly
WA, 7294 posts
16 Oct 2020 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Can555 said..
Anyone jumping the 1850? I imagine stress is high around the boxes of the board with a foil this big, or is this not such a concern? Interested to hear experiences. 1250 looks sweet and hope to get one soon for a 2 wing set-up.

Would not be a concern I would guess. Pretty strong to put up with the normal foil riding. I do not jump, but those that do report it is surprisingly soft landing compared to a normal kiteboard landing.

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
20 Oct 2020 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Prone foiled the 1850 for the first time with the 212 , wow what a difference that made , it was like using a small wing for performance and a large one for glide and pump.Cant believe how well it turned and also how fast it went , quiet amazing for such a big wing.

hilly
WA, 7294 posts
20 Oct 2020 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Prone foiled the 1850 for the first time with the 212 , wow what a difference that made , it was like using a small wing for performance and a large one for glide and pump.Cant believe how well it turned and also how fast it went , quiet amazing for such a big wing.

Yep agree there. My go to wing with 212 tail awesome. Cannot get my head around the +1 though still prefer 0. Anyone want to buy a +1?

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
21 Oct 2020 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

kobo said..

Yep agree there. My go to wing with 212 tail awesome. Cannot get my head around the +1 though still prefer 0. Anyone want to buy a +1?

Interesting Hilly, I still can't get my head around DW dinging with the SUP 1850/232or212 ......But I think it's my lack of experience on the Ding especially in the ocean.
Im fine with the 300 tail ,cause that gives me more stability and lifts the nose of the board up earlier.
I tend fishtail around a bit and feel more unstable with the 232 ,and I think it's because of the extra swing weight of the SUP and needing more practice.I prone surf on the 1050/212 no probs and an it's an insanely good setup.
I wonder if the 0 is giving you a little more lift for your extra weight? I only use the +1, but maybe I should try the 0 on the ding with the small tail. Good thing about Armstrong is plenty of options in setup to get the perfect combo.

hilly
WA, 7294 posts
21 Oct 2020 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

Worth a try.
game changer for me with the 1850 was the 850 mast. Allows better turning without popping a wingtip.

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
21 Oct 2020 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Worth a try.
game changer for me with the 1850 was the 850 mast. Allows better turning without popping a wingtip.

Don't say that, I want an 850 but I don't want to pay for it.

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
21 Oct 2020 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Worth a try.

Don't say that, I want an 850 but I don't want to pay for it.

Windoc
388 posts
1 Nov 2020 2:21AM
Thumbs Up

I've been down wind winging (flagged out) using the 1850, 72 mast, 232 tail and +1 shim. This set up is fast (getting some top speeds over 40km/h), but I find I really need to pump when speeds drop a bit, my mast is a little deeper or if I'm not sitting perfectly in the steepest part of the wind swell. Would I benefit much using the 0 zero shim for a little more lift but less speed, or am I better off picking better lines in the swell to keep riding the energy? When I'm in the groove, the +1 is fantastic for acceleration and speed but doesn't seem super forgiving when I slow down on swell in flatter spots. I'm still improving a ton, so much of this may come down to evolving technique.

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
1 Nov 2020 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

I ride with the 300 tail +1 and it's great for milking the small stuff and pumping , but it means more control needed at speed, try the 0 first then the 300 next if you need more , make sure your mast is forward in the boxes too ,that makes a big difference.

DWF
603 posts
1 Nov 2020 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Don't forget the 300 chopped with +1

The chopped 300 sheds drag. It's my favorite.

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
1 Nov 2020 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Haven't tried the chopped 300, only 232. & 212 , tell me more , what's it like compared to 212 and how does it pump ,turn etc compared to other tails.

mcrt
611 posts
2 Nov 2020 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Question for guys surfing (prone or sup) the 1850 without straps:

Are you surfing with feet centered on stringer(like a normal surfboard) or offseting your stance? (Ball of front foot on centerline,heel of backfoot on centerline).

I am used to winging with front strap and now learning to prone without, i pop up centered and it feels kinda difficult to control bank angles.
Maybe i just need to get used to strapless foiling but i know most guys who Wing strapless offset their feet for leverage.Does it work the same for surfing without wing?.

I have been Winging strapless for the last couple days to practice for prone, just my luck it was blowing 20 to 30kt, so riding a new bigger foil,longer mast and strapless has been kinda humbling and a bit scary at times :)

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
2 Nov 2020 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

I thought I was standing on the Centerline, until a mate took a photo and turns out my front foot is more to heel side and back foot is more to toeside of centreline ( both offset by 100mm ) I'm natural stance.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
2 Nov 2020 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
I thought I was standing on the Centerline, until a mate took a photo and turns out my front foot is more to heel side and back foot is more to toeside of centreline ( both offset by 100mm ) I'm natural stance.

Same for me but opposite being goofy.

hilly
WA, 7294 posts
2 Nov 2020 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

This is Derek Hama's board and he seems to go alright

mcrt
611 posts
2 Nov 2020 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Cool!, i saw that pic but i thought it was a Winging board setup for a switch rider.
If it is a SUP it fits right into what toppleover and kobo posted.

Thanks for the answers,this might save from a lot of wobbling about in random directions!.

BTW I found this vid on how to DIY straps you can paddle prone or step on, might try it as they are simple to make:

emmafoils
307 posts
2 Nov 2020 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

I find a little bit off center for both feet easier to balance and easier to control the foil

kobo
NSW, 1087 posts
3 Nov 2020 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

This is where I stand , which surprised me because I thought I was on the centreline .

mcrt
611 posts
3 Nov 2020 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

This is where I stand , which surprised me because I thought I was on the centreline .

Great pic, and it clearly shows the offset.
I have been looking at some strapless sup foil vids and this offset is pretty much always there when you look for it.Very obvious offset for the front foot and maybe more subtle or harder to see for the back foot.
Probably straps or smaller span front wings allow for more centered riding.

Today i winged the 1850 strapless again and tried different stances on a lot of S turns,what felt best for me was pretty much identical to the pic kobo posted.

So thanks for the tip, now i really want to try this prone surfing :)

greg87foil
138 posts
4 Nov 2020 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

I'm considering getting an Armstrong setup and this thread has been very helpful. I've been learning to prone foil on an "old" Naish Thrust L. I'm comfortable behind a boat in the wake without rope, also second wake back, but can't flat water pump (yet) or connect waves. Frothing right now though as yesterday I had kindof a breakthrough session, waves were perfect waist to shoulder and clean, and managed to catch and ride about 20 waves or so, 5 or 6 of them for a long time, stoke is high!

In order to improve my foil level though I want to get onto a platform that's going to allow me to learn how to pump and get different wings when I progress further. I feel there's been so much progress in foil design in the last 2-3 years, and I like what I'm reading about Armstrong, I also like their design philosophy.

I'm 74kg, and riding an Amundson 4'6" 35L board. Foiling in up to head high waves for now. I'm trying to figure out which wing would be best for me? 1250, 1550 or 1850? From what I'm reading the 1850 is better in many ways than the 1550 (higher aspect ratio) and even faster than the 1550, so I don't see why anyone would get the 1550 over the 1850? But the 1250 seems to be really nice too (also higher aspect ratio than the 1550) although I'm sure harder to pump than the 1850. Fuse and mast length I was thinking prob keep it standard, 60cm fuse and 72cm mast (for now).

Thoughts?

emmafoils
307 posts
4 Nov 2020 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greg87foil said..
I'm considering getting an Armstrong setup and this thread has been very helpful. I've been learning to prone foil on an "old" Naish Thrust L. I'm comfortable behind a boat in the wake without rope, also second wake back, but can't flat water pump (yet) or connect waves. Frothing right now though as yesterday I had kindof a breakthrough session, waves were perfect waist to shoulder and clean, and managed to catch and ride about 20 waves or so, 5 or 6 of them for a long time, stoke is high!

In order to improve my foil level though I want to get onto a platform that's going to allow me to learn how to pump and get different wings when I progress further. I feel there's been so much progress in foil design in the last 2-3 years, and I like what I'm reading about Armstrong, I also like their design philosophy.

I'm 74kg, and riding an Amundson 4'6" 35L board. Foiling in up to head high waves for now. I'm trying to figure out which wing would be best for me? 1250, 1550 or 1850? From what I'm reading the 1850 is better in many ways than the 1550 (higher aspect ratio) and even faster than the 1550, so I don't see why anyone would get the 1550 over the 1850? But the 1250 seems to be really nice too (also higher aspect ratio than the 1550) although I'm sure harder to pump than the 1850. Fuse and mast length I was thinking prob keep it standard, 60cm fuse and 72cm mast (for now).

Thoughts?

1250/232/+1/60 fuse/72 mast

greg87foil
138 posts
4 Nov 2020 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

greg87foil said..

Thoughts?

1250/232/+1/60 fuse/72 mast

Thanks!! The 1250 won't be too hard to learn from scratch how to pump ? That why I was considering the 1850..

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong HS 1850" started by kobo