Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong HS 1850

Created by kobo > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2020
emmafoils
307 posts
4 Nov 2020 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

1250 is easy to pump. It is probably their best surf wing unless you are limiting yourself to very small waves in which case the 1850 might be better.

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
4 Nov 2020 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greg87foil said..
I'm considering getting an Armstrong setup and this thread has been very helpful. I've been learning to prone foil on an "old" Naish Thrust L. I'm comfortable behind a boat in the wake without rope, also second wake back, but can't flat water pump (yet) or connect waves. Frothing right now though as yesterday I had kindof a breakthrough session, waves were perfect waist to shoulder and clean, and managed to catch and ride about 20 waves or so, 5 or 6 of them for a long time, stoke is high!

In order to improve my foil level though I want to get onto a platform that's going to allow me to learn how to pump and get different wings when I progress further. I feel there's been so much progress in foil design in the last 2-3 years, and I like what I'm reading about Armstrong, I also like their design philosophy.

I'm 74kg, and riding an Amundson 4'6" 35L board. Foiling in up to head high waves for now. I'm trying to figure out which wing would be best for me? 1250, 1550 or 1850? From what I'm reading the 1850 is better in many ways than the 1550 (higher aspect ratio) and even faster than the 1550, so I don't see why anyone would get the 1550 over the 1850? But the 1250 seems to be really nice too (also higher aspect ratio than the 1550) although I'm sure harder to pump than the 1850. Fuse and mast length I was thinking prob keep it standard, 60cm fuse and 72cm mast (for now).

Thoughts?

Pumping is mainly technique and energy, I can pump all my wings but the HS 1850 is the easiest, but I only prone it in smaller surf an DW. The HS 1550 surfs and turns beautifully, and is the best all round option if you can only get one wing, it is great for small to medium size waves. The HS 1050 is a ripping machine ,high performance but higher skill level needed ,best for medium to large waves, I would not recommend HS 1050 for a learner. The CF 1200 is like a smaller HS 1550 and can handle larger waves and is easy to ride, also at your weight a great one wing option . Don't have the 1250 but from what I have gleaned it's fast and pumps and glides good if you keep the speed up, but probably doesn't turn as easy as 1200,1550.

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
4 Nov 2020 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greg87foil said..

emmafoils said..

greg87foil said..
I'm considering getting an Armstrong setup and this thread has been very helpful. I've been learning to prone foil on an "old" Naish Thrust L. I'm comfortable behind a boat in the wake without rope, also second wake back, but can't flat water pump (yet) or connect waves. Frothing right now though as yesterday I had kindof a breakthrough session, waves were perfect waist to shoulder and clean, and managed to catch and ride about 20 waves or so, 5 or 6 of them for a long time, stoke is high!

In order to improve my foil level though I want to get onto a platform that's going to allow me to learn how to pump and get different wings when I progress further. I feel there's been so much progress in foil design in the last 2-3 years, and I like what I'm reading about Armstrong, I also like their design philosophy.

I'm 74kg, and riding an Amundson 4'6" 35L board. Foiling in up to head high waves for now. I'm trying to figure out which wing would be best for me? 1250, 1550 or 1850? From what I'm reading the 1850 is better in many ways than the 1550 (higher aspect ratio) and even faster than the 1550, so I don't see why anyone would get the 1550 over the 1850? But the 1250 seems to be really nice too (also higher aspect ratio than the 1550) although I'm sure harder to pump than the 1850. Fuse and mast length I was thinking prob keep it standard, 60cm fuse and 72cm mast (for now).

Thoughts?

1250/232/+1/60 fuse/72 mast

Thanks!! The 1250 won't be too hard to learn from scratch how to pump ? That why I was considering the 1850..

For a beguinner foiler at your weight I'd be looking at a 1850 or 1550 to make it easier but def possible on a 1250.

emmafoils
307 posts
4 Nov 2020 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

greg87foil said..

emmafoils said..

greg87foil said..

Thoughts?

1250/232/+1/60 fuse/72 mast

Thanks!! The 1250 won't be too hard to learn from scratch how to pump ? That why I was considering the 1850..

For a beguinner foiler at your weight I'd be looking at a 1850 or 1550 to make it easier but def possible on a 1250.

I agree with this. Some experience is needed to take advantage of the 1250.

Main
QLD, 2327 posts
4 Nov 2020 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

greg87foil said..

Thoughts?

Pumping is mainly technique and energy, I can pump all my wings but the HS 1850 is the easiest, but I only prone it in smaller surf an DW. The HS 1550 surfs and turns beautifully, and is the best all round option if you can only get one wing, it is great for small to medium size waves. The HS 1050 is a ripping machine ,high performance but higher skill level needed ,best for medium to large waves, I would not recommend HS 1050 for a learner. The CF 1200 is like a smaller HS 1550 and can handle larger waves and is easy to ride, also at your weight a great one wing option . Don't have the 1250 but from what I have gleaned it's fast and pumps and glides good if you keep the speed up, but probably doesn't turn as easy as 1200,1550.

How would you define small, medium and large waves ? small= up to waist high, medium = waist to head high and large over head high but paddle-able ???

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
4 Nov 2020 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Main said..

kobo said..

greg87foil said..

Thoughts?

How would you define small, medium and large waves ? small= up to waist high, medium = waist to head high and large over head high but paddle-able ???

Yep that's a accurate definition.

Raleigh
14 posts
26 Nov 2020 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

I'm loving the 1850! The 1850 with the 252 stab is a machine! So fun to ride prone. I'm using it with the 60 fuse and 60 mast and love it. Tried the 2400 v2 with the 252 stab the other day and it blew me away but it was a really small day. So much fun on each of these wings. that said the 2400 isn't necessary if you have the 1850. The 2400 with the 300 isn't fun for me as I can't stop breaching whole prone surfing. I was able to use the 2400 with the 300 on my 72 mast for winging and it wasn't an issue. I'm now decent at prone foiling but still terrible at winging. So much fun on these foils!

Pasquales
201 posts
26 Nov 2020 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

I made the same mistake of trying to prone foil the 2400, and realized it was for lite wind winging only. Had the 1850 out today in shoulder to head high surf, and needed to work to keep it in the water. Regarding stabilizers, I didn't know Armstrong had a 252, do you mean 232?

Raleigh
14 posts
26 Nov 2020 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pasquales said..
I made the same mistake of trying to prone foil the 2400, and realized it was for lite wind winging only. Had the 1850 out today in shoulder to head high surf, and needed to work to keep it in the water. Regarding stabilizers, I didn't know Armstrong had a 252, do you mean 232?

Ha yes 232 I meant. 252 is the area code down here. I did find the 2400 with the 232 a good ride but it was nearly impossible on the 300.

greg87foil
141 posts
26 Nov 2020 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Ended up getting a good deal and got both the 1850 and 1250, with the 72cm mast, 60cm fuse and 232 rear wing.

So far only ridden the 1850 and WOW! what a difference in glide compared to my old Naish Thrust L setup. Had 3 sessions so far on the 1850 and instantly felt what "good" pumping is supposed to feel like. Wasn't able to pump at all on the Naish but now I feel like I'll be able to learn it on the 1850. In my last session my best "pump" was 50m back out after a wave. Stoked! The glide of the 1850 is amazing, although I have nothing else to compare it to. So far ridden it from 1ft knee high to shoulder/head-high.

Will give the 1250 a go soon too.

tomooh
276 posts
7 Dec 2020 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Had my first surf on the 1850 today. 85 mast 60 fuse 300 tail and probably the smallest weakest rubbish waves I have ever surfed. Loved it definitely a big step up in glide and ease of catching waves over the 1550. Felt easy to keep going as you come off even a small wave. Looking forward to using it in better waves.

hilly
WA, 7317 posts
7 Dec 2020 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

You can get the van to glide with the 1850! Impressive

tomooh
276 posts
8 Dec 2020 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Luckily its front wheel drive and only the back wheels are lifting. Still gets a bit sketchy going around corners though

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
17 Jan 2021 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greg87foil said..
Ended up getting a good deal and got both the 1850 and 1250, with the 72cm mast, 60cm fuse and 232 rear wing.

So far only ridden the 1850 and WOW! what a difference in glide compared to my old Naish Thrust L setup. Had 3 sessions so far on the 1850 and instantly felt what "good" pumping is supposed to feel like. Wasn't able to pump at all on the Naish but now I feel like I'll be able to learn it on the 1850. In my last session my best "pump" was 50m back out after a wave. Stoked! The glide of the 1850 is amazing, although I have nothing else to compare it to. So far ridden it from 1ft knee high to shoulder/head-high.

G'day Greg, just wondering how you went with the 1250? I'm a beginner, 65kg, who can get on waves, but can't link, and can dockstart my diy foils okay. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) had any thoughts on whether the 1850 would be too big for me, or whether to go for the 1250 or 1550? Thanks!

hilly
WA, 7317 posts
17 Jan 2021 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddshep said..

greg87foil said..

So far only ridden the 1850 in and WOW! what a difference in glide compared to my old Naish Thrust L setup. Had 3 sessions so far on the 1850 and instantly felt what "good" pumping is supposed to feel like. Wasn't able to pump at all on the Naish but now I feel like I'll be able to learn it on the 1850. In my last session my best "pump" was 50m back out after a wave. Stoked! The glide of the 1850 is amazing, although I have nothing else to compare it to. So far ridden it from 1ft knee high to shoulder/head-high.

G'day Greg, just wondering how you went with the 1250? I'm a beginner, 65kg, who can get on waves, but can't link, and can dockstart my diy foils okay. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) had any thoughts on whether the 1850 would be too big for me, or whether to go for the 1250 or 1550? Thanks!

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
18 Jan 2021 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

eddshep said..

greg87foil said..

So far only ridden the 1850 in and WOW! what a difference in glide compared to my old Naish Thrust L setup. Had 3 sessions so far on the 1850 and instantly felt what "good" pumping is supposed to feel like. Wasn't able to pump at all on the Naish but now I feel like I'll be able to learn it on the 1850. In my last session my best "pump" was 50m back out after a wave. Stoked! The glide of the 1850 is amazing, although I have nothing else to compare it to. So far ridden it from 1ft knee high to shoulder/head-high.

The 1250 is easy enough to learn to link waves with?

hilly
WA, 7317 posts
18 Jan 2021 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddshep said..The 1250 is easy enough to learn to link waves with?

Sorry not into pumping but it has heaps of glide. The guys who pump down here love it. At your weight it should be no problem.

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
18 Jan 2021 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

eddshep said..The 1250 is easy enough to learn to link waves with?

Sorry not into pumping but it has heaps of glide. The guys who pump down here love it. At your weight it should be no problem.

Awesome, thanks.

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
18 Jan 2021 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

1850 is easiest to pump no matter your weight , Then it's a tossup between 1550&1250 for next.The 1250 is easier if you can pump because it's more efficient and fast, but the 1550 lets you make more mistakes and get way with it especially at slower speeds which is helpful when learning. At 65 kg any of those wing should not be a problem.

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
18 Jan 2021 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
1850 is easiest to pump no matter your weight , Then it's a tossup between 1550&1250 for next.The 1250 is easier if you can pump because it's more efficient and fast, but the 1550 lets you make more mistakes and get way with it especially at slower speeds which is helpful when learning. At 65 kg any of those wing should not be a problem.

What do you reckon the 1850 would be like in the waves compared to the 1250? If it's not terrible at turning, I'm thinking it might be more versatile and could be used for downwind, dockstarting etc. But I'm thinking it might be too much lift in mid sized waves? Thanks for the thoughts and excuse all the questions - it's a fair chunk of change, so want to buy the right one!

hilly
WA, 7317 posts
18 Jan 2021 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddshep said..

kobo said..

What do you reckon the 1850 would be like in the waves compared to the 1250? If it's not terrible at turning, I'm thinking it might be more versatile and could be used for downwind, dockstarting etc. But I'm thinking it might be too much lift in mid sized waves? Thanks for the thoughts and excuse all the questions - it's a fair chunk of change, so want to buy the right one!

It is big for me at 105kg so at your size would be huge. Great for dock starts and tiny waves but over waist high it will be difficult. Small stab and +1 helps but still hard work.

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
18 Jan 2021 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

eddshep said..

kobo said..

It is big for me at 105kg so at your size would be huge. Great for dock starts and tiny waves but over waist high it will be difficult. Small stab and +1 helps but still hard work.

Yeah right, that is good to know :)

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
18 Jan 2021 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 82 kg and I can ride 1850 up to shoulder high no problem, it depends on the waves ,If the wave crumbles on breaking no problem , but if steep, you need to catch the shoulder so you don't get launched.Once up and riding, no problem and it's definitely not terrible at turning, my foil mates keep asking which wing I'm riding because they can't tell as they can all turn so well.
I prone all wings with the 212 tail and +1 shim ( makes them turn the best and reduces lift especially on takeoff )
I like 1850 most for smaller waves up to waist high because it turns great at slower speeds and it pumps the best. I also use it for DW also and it's great, because it milks the small stuff but still turns easily.I'm not into dock starts , but it would be the best wing for sure, especially with the 300 tail.( to give max lift )

1250 is much better in larger faster waves,( easier takeoffs, more control at higher speeds) haven't tried it yet DW but I recon it would be better in stronger conditions.It pumps great too, but you need to know how to pump, it does go well in the smaller stuff too, but not as good as 1850.

If you can only afford one wing, go the 1250 or 1550 , other wise 1850&1050 is a good combo, the 1050 is insanely good.( but need some experience to ride )

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
18 Jan 2021 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
I'm 82 kg and I can ride 1850 up to shoulder high no problem, it depends on the waves ,If the wave crumbles on breaking no problem , but if steep, you need to catch the shoulder so you don't get launched.Once up and riding, no problem and it's definitely not terrible at turning, my foil mates keep asking which wing I'm riding because they can't tell as they can all turn so well.
I prone all wings with the 212 tail and +1 shim ( makes them turn the best and reduces lift especially on takeoff )
I like 1850 most for smaller waves up to waist high because it turns great at slower speeds and it pumps the best. I also use it for DW also and it's great, because it milks the small stuff but still turns easily.I'm not into dock starts , but it would be the best wing for sure, especially with the 300 tail.( to give max lift )

1250 is much better in larger faster waves,( easier takeoffs, more control at higher speeds) haven't tried it yet DW but I recon it would be better in stronger conditions.It pumps great too, but you need to know how to pump, it does go well in the smaller stuff too, but not as good as 1850.

If you can only afford one wing, go the 1250 or 1550 , other wise 1850&1050 is a good combo, the 1050 is insanely good.( but need some experience to ride )

Awesome, thanks. Appreciate all the input :)

eppo
WA, 9499 posts
18 Jan 2021 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

I've proned the 1250 In smaller mushy stuff and it did just fine. Pumps for link ups so much better than the only other wing I can compare it to - the axis 900. If it was one wing I'd go the 1250 and just get better learning on it. The goldilocks wing.

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
19 Jan 2021 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
I've proned the 1250 In smaller mushy stuff and it did just fine. Pumps for link ups so much better than the only other wing I can compare it to - the axis 900. If it was one wing I'd go the 1250 and just get better learning on it. The goldilocks wing.

That's interesting, the 900 is fairly popular around here, with some pretty heavy guys learning to pump on it.
Hey last question, I promise. Erik from the Progression Podcast has said the 1250 can't handle having a wing tip out of the water, ventilating and collapsing straight away; has anyone experienced that? I'm thinking it's not really a problem at my level, but would be good to know.

hilly
WA, 7317 posts
19 Jan 2021 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Surfing you can pop a wingtip and survive but it breaches like the 900 does if you get too high. Heaps of vid on Armstrong social media of wingtips out and jumps being made.

kobo
NSW, 1093 posts
19 Jan 2021 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddshep said..

eppo said..

That's interesting, the 900 is fairly popular around here, with some pretty heavy guys learning to pump on it.
Hey last question, I promise. Erik from the Progression Podcast has said the 1250 can't handle having a wing tip out of the water, ventilating and collapsing straight away; has anyone experienced that? I'm thinking it's not really a problem at my level, but would be good to know.

If you do a flat turn, any wing will breach ,lay it over on rail and hey no worries!

espitaka
WA, 26 posts
19 Jan 2021 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Surfing you can pop a wingtip and survive but it breaches like the 900 does if you get too high. Heaps of vid on Armstrong social media of wingtips out and jumps being made.

Beautiful, thanks :)

eppo
WA, 9499 posts
20 Jan 2021 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddshep said..

eppo said..

The 900 was far worse for that and being flatter and wider (higher aspect) breaching on a hard carve was hard to avoid. I loved the 900 though, but the 1250 is on a different plane altogether.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong HS 1850" started by kobo