Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6

Created by OG SUP > 9 months ago, 28 Aug 2012
laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
28 Aug 2012 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

PeterP said...

The SA team came back wide-eyed telling us JM had 3 boards to choose from...pure hearsay so may be incorrect. The other event I referred to may have been a state champs - not sure, but he posted something where he described how he'd used this board for that discipline and that board for the downwind etc....

Point is no matter how we try and level the playing field it will never happen unless we introduce one-design which I think everyone will agree is not the way.

The 12'6 really is a bastard race class which came about by accident and although you can downwind and do whatever you want on it - will always be slower and favour small guys or ladies. But why sustain a class that does that when a 14' does pretty much everything better? Seems like the various camps of opinion are firmly entrenched but I just don't get why you'd want to be on a 12'6 if you are into racing - unless you are very light and want that advantage over the heavier guys....

because that is the bop class, reason being easier to surf. i believe that it initially came about as that is the longest blank you could buy.

am i the only one that doesnt want to copy the starboard wagon and have 20 different boards for each condition??

yep, thats why 14' is way better all round. generally dw's better, faster in the flats and a wider range of size people can us them. one race in US now dictates the whole world.

12'6's fitting into shops better has a lot to do with it too

interestingly a lot of 12'6 and 14' ers are the same price. have the 12'6's prices been jacked up

PeterP
839 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

exactly...Sparky (I don't know him) apparently made a 12'6 box to check in the guys boards for the BOP and that's where it got stuck...but thats hardly an argument for why it should stay that way?

A 12'6 is marginally easier to ride waves with for lighter riders, for bigger guys it makes no difference, we've done all our in outs on 14's and we have the same amount of carnage and fun....

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

From sup racer , this is the only way to see whos the best paddler , same board for all.

BIC Launches World¡¯s First ¡°One Design¡± SUP Race Series

Christopher Parker | August 28, 2012

BIC SUP have just announced plans for a ¡°One Design¡± Stand Up Paddle race series, which they¡¯re claiming is a world first.

The French outfit, best known in the SUP racing scene for sponsoring European #1 Eric Terrien, will be debuting their one design SUP race series at next week¡¯s surf trade show in Orlando, Florida.

All competitors in BIC One Design SUP races will use the exact same board: the new 12¡¯6¡å Wing. Each event will also feature the same course (roughly 800m long), with races consisting of short, knockout-style, one-lap sprints.

According to their North American head, Chris Decerbo:

¡°We¡¯ve had great success with One Design events in windsurfing, surfing, and Jr. Sailing. SUP is a perfect sport for One Design and the new 12¡¯6 WING is the ideal board. The WING is extremely durable and affordable, you shouldn¡¯t have to pay $2,500 or more for a fragile carbon-fiber race board to enjoy Stand Up Paddleboard racing¡±

The Wing SUP race board is 30 inches wide and weighs 15.5kg. Not exactly up there with the sub-10kg, ultra-narrow boards coming out of Starboard, Naish, Surftech, Fanatic and all the other top SUP race board manufacturers. But that¡¯s not the point. BIC SUP isn¡¯t going after the ¡°hardcore¡± SUP market. Even their own website claims the Wing is for ¡°recreational racers¡±.

And that seems to be whole idea of this new One Design race series. BIC isn¡¯t trying to compete with the top brands, they¡¯re going after the much larger recreational, mainstream market.

But how successful is this SUP race series going to be? Could it become anything more than a pure novelty?

While BIC SUP has only just started getting into SUP racing, the brand is part of the massive Soci¨¦t¨¦ Bic corporation, which earns roughly $2bn a year. So while they don¡¯t have the brand recognition of a Naish or Starboard, they¡¯ve certainly got some cash behind them. BIC showed they were serious about SUP racing when they signed Eric Terrien on a lucrative deal, even though at the time they didn¡¯t have a single SUP race board available for retail sale. This BIC One Design SUP race series is another step in that direction, and while it may not appeal to the hardcore paddlers, it may just grab the attention of the recreational SUP racers.

We¡¯ve also heard another major SUP brand is about to launch their own ¡°one design¡± race series, but based on inflatable SUP race boards. So it¡¯ll be interesting to see if either of these series take off. They¡¯re obviously not directed towards the hardcore paddlers, but it could be a great way of getting paddlers to try SUP racing for the first time, which is pretty important for the future growth of the sport.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

maxeaus said...

Obviously this guy didn't get the "cant do" memo.

In fact i think this board is actually a lot bigger.

Fair to say there's a bit of compensation going on there.

Personally im not sure what all the fuss is about, 14', 12' 6", 16' 17', if we add all 4 together and dived by 4 we get 14' 9"..............so we should all just race/surf/downwind on 14' 9"s

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
28 Aug 2012 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

A one-make inflatable race? I just vomited a little in my mouth. Only thing worse than an inflatable race would be a 15kg 12'6" x 30" one-make race. What a barge that would be.

hilly
WA, 7294 posts
28 Aug 2012 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...

From sup racer , this is the only way to see whos the best paddler ,

Lets rephrase that 'best light paddler'. Would be power to weight so the lighter you are the better. Good if you are Jacko's build

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

SUP WA have an event in the pipelines that looks to compare paddlers competing on the same board at the same time. There will be a 12'6 and 14' division, it will be held on an enclosed body of water to minimise any outside influencing factors. Aim of it all is to find the best paddler on a level playing field and no there won't be an inflatable in sight.

Stay tuned for more to come.....

DavidJohn
VIC, 17438 posts
29 Aug 2012 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...

SUP WA have an event in the pipelines that looks to compare paddlers competing on the same board at the same time. There will be a 12'6 and 14' division, it will be held on an enclosed body of water to minimise any outside influencing factors. Aim of it all is to find the best paddler on a level playing field and no there won't be an inflatable in sight.

Will it be an indoors event?

DJ

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...

This sounds very interesting.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
29 Aug 2012 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

we downwinded the Lake on Friday on a 12'6 Fanatic and a Bark. Had a ball, now probably not the ideal boards for it but at one stage I was surfing in the lake so I was stoked. I have a simple attitude to all this, whatever gets you in the water and smiling is ok.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
29 Aug 2012 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Not indoors but on a protected rowing course (not where we have our SUP 5000). It can only happen due to a very generous supporter of SUP in Perth and across the country, but I shouldn't say too much as the finer details ate still being worked out.

It will be close for spectators to watch with shorter distance races, repecharges and knockouts and truely put paddler against paddler and eliminate the arms race.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
29 Aug 2012 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

teatrea said...

Lets rephrase that 'best light paddler'. Would be power to weight so the lighter you are the better. Good if you are Jacko's build

I think your forgetting the other half of the equation "power". Yes being lighter ups your ratio, but the heavier u are the more muscle/power u can output. Its all relative!

In the end it is a race, do they have bigger horses for bigger jockeys?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

hilly said...

teatrea said...

I think your forgetting the other half of the equation "power". Yes being lighter ups your ratio, but the heavier u are the more muscle/power u can output. Its all relative!

In the end it is a race, do they have bigger horses for bigger jockeys?

and thats why they have handicaps

dk is powerful but he reckons he's no chance on a 12'6, well one thats competitive

rager
QLD, 437 posts
29 Aug 2012 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

The 12'6" BOP board length limitation definitely is not a level playing field IMO. How about little blokes say 65kg and 5'7" paddle an 11' and see how they go. Would be the same as a 6'2" 110kg bloke on a 12'6". Maybe the best idea in BOP style races would be to ride what you want that way everyone would find the fastest most manoeuvrable board for thier size/weight ratio.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
29 Aug 2012 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Why is weight/size of the paddler not an issue in events such as Canoe/Kayak sprint where all craft are the same length?

Surely a 12'6' with more volume compensates for extra rider weight. If they are 'overweight' then tuff, lose some kegs.

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
29 Aug 2012 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Isn't there two sides to this discussion?
1. Racing and going fast.
2. General leisure and exercise paddling.

I can't comment on what is required for racing, what is fastest and performs best, because I am not into that side of the activity.
However, I can comment on general paddling both in the ocean and in still water.
Obviously waterline length is a function of glide and speed as is the strength and ability of the paddler.
Not all paddlers are competitive (yes that is correct) many paddle for the exercise, as an adjunct to their surfing and to be on the ocean.
I paddle a 12'6" board because:-
1. I can carry it more easliy.
2. I can put it on my carry more easily.
3. I can store it more easily.
4. It does pretty much what I want it to do.
5. it gives me a good workout.
6. I smile when I am paddling it at sea.
7. I have no intention of going way out to sea in heavy winds.

Your board chioce (in my opinion) is a function of what you can afford and what you want to do with it.
Cheers. ET.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
29 Aug 2012 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

They do have weight classes in rowing i think , anyway different body types will be suited to different distances and styles of racing. If flat water or ocean sprints become an option the heavier set guys wilth more strength , power will have an advantage over the little guys. You dont see to many 90kg plus marathon runners.Even bop which is called a sprint is not a sprint its an endurance event , endurance events will always favour the lighter rider.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
29 Aug 2012 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry but it has nothing to do with how heavy your body weight is.
It's all power to strength ratio! Always has been and always will be.
If u feel under strength well go do some weight training or strength training simple.
The whole I can't paddle a 12'6 as good as lighter people is a farse.
I can then say at 65kg paddling a 14ft isn't fair for me as I have push more board.
Nope not true.
Power to strength ratio is what it's all about.
X Angie

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

If u feel under strength well go do some weight training or strength training simple.
I can then say at 65kg paddling a 14ft isn't fair for me as I have push more board.
Nope not true.
X Angie

Its not a simple as that Angie. I agree its not that heavier riders cant paddle a 12,6 as well as lighter riders , its a bout the distance they paddle it. Their are always exceptions though.
In sprint races (ie. races of less than one minute) where anaerobic capacity is the limiting factor, the advantage to the larger athlete is more pronounced. This occurs because potential anaerobic power is directly proportioned to bodyweight (all other things being equal). Therefore a 100kg paddler can potentially produce 33.3% more anaerobic power than a 75kg athlete (100/75 = 1.333) but incurs say only 17.8% more drag in a 15kg OCI ([115/90] ^(2/3) = 1.178) which gives the larger athlete a 4.2% time advantage (3ã 1.333/1.178 = 1.042).

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...

angie pangi said...

Nope not true.
X Angie

Its not a simple as that Angie. I agree its not that heavier riders cant paddle a 12,6 as well as lighter riders , its a bout the distance they paddle it. Their are always exceptions though.
In sprint races (ie. races of less than one minute) where anaerobic capacity is the limiting factor, the advantage to the larger athlete is more pronounced. This occurs because potential anaerobic power is directly proportioned to bodyweight (all other things being equal). Therefore a 100kg paddler can potentially produce 33.3% more anaerobic power than a 75kg athlete (100/75 = 1.333) but incurs say only 17.8% more drag in a 15kg OCI ([115/90] ^(2/3) = 1.178) which gives the larger athlete a 4.2% time advantage (3ã 1.333/1.178 = 1.042).

nice analysis teatrea, can you post the equations you used??

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

There is one mitigating factor that was recently brought to my attention, which is that height is actually an issue in terms of stability on a shorter or narrower board particularly with a power stroke as the taller paddler leverages more weight forward. This is not a factor in rowing, canoes or kayaks.

Being a short-arse feather-weight, none of this stuff bothers me personally. I'd be happy to race 12'6" but as a race organiser, I worry that half the field wouldn't turn up.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Most of the top C1 sprinters are big units, height would be a disadvantage in terms of stability but better for reach.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

There is one mitigating factor that was recently brought to my attention, which is that height is actually an issue in terms of stability on a shorter or narrower board particularly with a power stroke as the taller paddler leverages more weight forward. This is not a factor in rowing, canoes or kayaks.

Being a short-arse feather-weight, none of this stuff bothers me personally. I'd be happy to race 12'6" but as a race organiser, I worry that half the field wouldn't turn up.

for events i think you need to distinguish between the elite class and the recreational class. 12'6 for elite recognition, and those reacreational paddlers can paddle what they want, that way they could still get line honors (making it more appealing for them) and the elite classes know exactly were each competitor stands comparitivly

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

But even with C1, the kneeling position means height differences are reduced. Stand Up Paddle is unique in the way height and weight balance is displaced across the board.

Nevertheless, I can see this sprint racing format that surf4fun is hinting at will provide a race option for bigger bodies. When that comes about, we may see the anxiety levels relax as people come to realise they don't have to be competitive in all forms of racing; they simply choose the format they are suited to. And when that happens, board restrictions that best suit the race format will hopefully become standardised worldwide.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

teatrea said...

angie pangi said...

Nope not true.
X Angie

In sprint races (ie. races of less than one minute) where anaerobic capacity is the limiting factor, the advantage to the larger athlete is more pronounced. This occurs because potential anaerobic power is directly proportioned to bodyweight (all other things being equal). Therefore a 100kg paddler can potentially produce 33.3% more anaerobic power than a 75kg athlete (100/75 = 1.333) but incurs say only 17.8% more drag in a 15kg OCI ([115/90] ^(2/3) = 1.178) which gives the larger athlete a 4.2% time advantage (3?ã 1.333/1.178 = 1.042).

Equations what are they , I just cut and paste dude!! Pt woody hit the nail on the head enter a class and race type that suits you, simple.I'm sure we will see sprint type events introduced for the muscle men and women!

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...

RJK said...

teatrea said...

angie pangi said...

Nope not true.
X Angie

In sprint races (ie. races of less than one minute) where anaerobic capacity is the limiting factor, the advantage to the larger athlete is more pronounced. This occurs because potential anaerobic power is directly proportioned to bodyweight (all other things being equal). Therefore a 100kg paddler can potentially produce 33.3% more anaerobic power than a 75kg athlete (100/75 = 1.333) but incurs say only 17.8% more drag in a 15kg OCI ([115/90] ^(2/3) = 1.178) which gives the larger athlete a 4.2% time advantage (3?ã 1.333/1.178 = 1.042).

Equations what are they , I just cut and paste dude!! Pt woody hit the nail on the head enter a class and race type that suits you, simple.I'm sure we will see sprint type events introduced for the muscle men and women!

accellaration = force/mass

so a heavier paddler can put out more force (bigger muscles) but his accellaraction is reduced by his weight.

just another variable to include in your analysis. along with momentum!!

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
29 Aug 2012 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

My 2 cents'

lots of sports or activities are weight size specific and Lance armstrong is looking for a new sport

Phill

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

My 2 cents'

lots of sports or activities are weight size specific and Lance armstrong is looking for a new sport

Phill

So you're saying to all the midgets who complain about pushing around a bigger board that they should get on the juice? Allegedly.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

OG SUP said...

My 2 cents'

Phill

So you're saying to all the midgets who complain about pushing around a bigger board that they should get on the juice? Allegedly.

is apple or orange juice better

12'6 is best of bop style. imo there is no doubt about it.

all things being equal a one board quiver do all is best served by a 14' er

amen

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I think the irony of basing a one board quiver for all racing on BOP rules is that first of all, the majority of people involved in racing are not able or willing to race genuine BOP conditions, and secondly, if you are racing in BOP conditions with your one and only board, chances are your board won't remain in one piece for very long and you'll be off to buy another.

On the other hand, if you were to remove BOP racing from the equation and then asked what is the best stock board length for all other racing, then Lacey is right, 14' is where it's at.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6" started by OG SUP