Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6

Created by OG SUP > 9 months ago, 28 Aug 2012
OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
29 Aug 2012 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hey PT,

BOP is where the money is going as its the best spectator sport for the punter.

How many people were on the beach at Northhaven or Noosa oohing and aahing at the carnage or possible carnage its addictive.

After Noosa I think dog surfing has its place as well on 12'6 longboard SUPS.

Its all about having an open mind

You cant see someone riding a bump 2km off shore.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

No doubt that's true, BOP is great for people on the beach to watch. But I maintain there's not much point in limiting all other forms of racing to 12'6" just because that's the ideal board length for a BOP race. Let the BOP racers risk their 12'6" board in these exciting races while the 14' boards can do the Marathon and Sprint races where they are better suited. And as I say, if anyone complains about not being able to afford more than one board, perhaps they shouldn't be risking their only board in the carnage of a BOP race.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

trashing expensive boards is good fun, as long as its not your board.

however it seems as if race organisers are working on paddler safety

on the subject of carnage i hear someone got a pretty nasty gash across their head at the aussies

as they say- its all fun until someone gets a poke in the eye

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

For all the crew that have some inside info on the official side of this discussion, it is sure to make sense.
For the 100's of other paddlers out there that wern't privy to the discussions held at the Nationals behind closed doors, how about someone in the know provide an explanation.
It would be interesting to know how many of the crew out there, that have read this and are/were considering buying a race boad for this season, have either lost interest all together or have absolutely no idea what length board they should be buying.
This issue has the potential to have a massive impact upon not only the race participants who may have recently bought the wrong length board but also the retailers that have to preorder stock....and the manufacturers.....except those with the inside scoop of course.
Have the 'officials' made a decision or is this thread just a lot of opinions and irrelevant noise??

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Deano72 said...

For all the crew that have some inside info on the official side of this discussion, it is sure to make sense.
For the 100's of other paddlers out there that wern't privy to the discussions held at the Nationals behind closed doors, how about someone in the know provide an explanation.
It would be interesting to know how many of the crew out there, that have read this and are/were considering buying a race boad for this season, have either lost interest all together or have absolutely no idea what length board they should be buying.
This issue has the potential to have a massive impact upon not only the race participants who may have recently bought the wrong length board but also the retailers that have to preorder stock....and the manufacturers.....except those with the inside scoop of course.
Have the 'officials' made a decision or is this thread just a lot of opinions and irrelevant noise??

one aspect of the nationals was the use of 14'ers in the marathon when in peru it will 12'6 boards only.

would not make any difference to me and what i order and quite frankly only impacts about 10 to 20 paddlers in australia.

why every other tom dick and harry is worried about it is beyond me.

i suggest get what suits you, your area, your interest, your training and not what lenght of board travis is going to be paddling at the worlds

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said...

Wait a sec, just let me get some popcorn and a comfy chair... okay, I'm set.

PTWoody said this would open discussion.
There was another forum on the 19-7-12 that looked at the benefits of 12'6" vs 14 foot also, particularly from a racing perspective.
I think you basically just need to work out what length of board you want to ride, can afford, store or transport and go with it. Unless you specifically want to do BOP. As race numbers expand there will possibly be expanded categories for 12'6" and 14' hopefully in all age groups. It would be good to get some official clarification though as many people are looking at buying new boards for the season.

12' 6" might not be quite as fast downwind for most people (Apart from Jacko) but they are a great versatile board and will do everything a 14 footer will do. There are still lots of average paddlers on 12'6"s out there carrying a bit of weight who are keeping up with 14s just by putting more time on the water.
Hopefully as the sport expands there will be room for both sizes and the elite guys who generally own two board sizes anyway will just choose what size they will race on a particular day.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...
one aspect of the nationals was the use of 14'ers in the marathon when in peru it will 12'6 boards only.

would not make any difference to me and what i order and quite frankly only impacts about 10 to 20 paddlers in australia.

i suggest get what suits you, your area, your interest, your training and not what lenght of board travis is going to be paddling at the worlds

I don't quite agree Lacey. I am pretty crap at racing but am keen to have a crack and would prefer to be on the correct length board to be competitive. My preference is the BOP and for that reason went for a 12'6". Am considering getting a 14' now to give the DW racing a crack but not if it is going over to 12'6"s (for the surfing Aust races anyways).

paul.j
QLD, 3342 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Deano72 said...

At the moment it's easy!! If you want to BOP race you have to have a 12'6 end of story!!
One really good idea i heard at the meeting was that the elite guys race 12'6 so that is the people chasing the big win and eveyone else who wants to do it more for fun and just a good time race on 14? Why 12'6 for the elite men? because that is the ISA divison at the moment so if you want to be the best then at this time that is what has been set. This may change in the future but for now this is it.

paul.j
QLD, 3342 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

I would love to know what size you have to be for a 12'6 board to not work? is it 90kg or 91kg or 94kg? There are heaps of guys in the 90kg mark that are super fast on a 12'6!! Maybe if you are 120kg you should lay of the pies!! All jokes aside i would love to know when a board stops working?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

laceys lane said...

I don't quite agree Lacey. I am pretty crap at racing but am keen to have a crack and would prefer to be on the correct length board to be competitive. My preference is the BOP and for that reason went for a 12'6". Am considering getting a 14' now to give the DW racing a crack but not if it is going over to 12'6"s (for the surfing Aust races anyways).

goatie, it would be a sad day if dw racing in aust was 12'6 boards only. if bops your go, go 12'6

btw the biggest race field numbers in qld have been for dw racing- not bop

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Deano,

I assure you Dog suring is here to stay!

You just need to work out which class:

Small: Jack Russell - Pomeranian is my choice

Medium: Blue Healer

Large: Husky - Great Dane

There are rules regarding collar widths and velcro paws but nothing that cant be over come.

Phill

Deano72 said...

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
29 Aug 2012 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

hilly said...

teatrea said...

From sup racer , this is the only way to see whos the best paddler ,

Lets rephrase that 'best light paddler'. Would be power to weight so the lighter you are the better. Good if you are Jacko's build

I think your forgetting the other half of the equation "power". Yes being lighter ups your ratio, but the heavier u are the more muscle/power u can output. Its all relative!

In the end it is a race, do they have bigger horses for bigger jockeys?

Racing handicaps with weight funny that.

Drag with more board in the water and less glide is really noticeable for my 105kg on a 12 6 v a 16.

I won the Mandurah Duel on a 16 but get smashed on a 12 6. Same paddler just a bit more length so the board can be narrower. Wide boards are slow.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
29 Aug 2012 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

goatman said...

laceys lane said...

goatie, it would be a sad day if dw racing in aust was 12'6 boards only. if bops your go, go 12'6

btw the biggest race field numbers in qld have been for dw racing- not bop

That's my point and is why I got a 12'6" for BOP, couldn't give a rats which is more popular.

But if Surfing Aust is following the lead of the ISA I wouldn't bother getting a 14' as I enjoy the 12'6" for DW anyways.

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
29 Aug 2012 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

Deano72 said...

At the moment it's easy!! If you want to BOP race you have to have a 12'6 end of story!!
One really good idea i heard at the meeting was that the elite guys race 12'6 so that is the people chasing the big win and eveyone else who wants to do it more for fun and just a good time race on 14? Why 12'6 for the elite men? because that is the ISA divison at the moment so if you want to be the best then at this time that is what has been set. This may change in the future but for now this is it.

So the ISA have gone that way because of board transportation difficulties haven't they??....if so fair enough.
Considering that is not really a huge issue in Oz....why is there talk about changing the current configuration from 14' for marathon, 12'6" for BOP for Nationals / State Titles??
If someone is good enough to qualify for ISA through Nationals they would be good enough to paddle anything.....so do we need to do the same as ISA??
I reckon the big issue is for State titles and club races events, that are used as a lead up to the Nationals, and want to use the same format.
People that are having a crack at it want to be on the right equipment.
What happens if the Elite crew are on 12'6" and they get dusted by someone having a 'good time race' on a 14'....does the 14' paddler get recognition for their efforts??

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Goatman, before you jump, consider this... Over 40s is not an ISA category and so there is one school of thought that says the Over 40s does not need to be a 12'6" category. Perhaps wait on Surfing Australia to release formats for state and national titles. Having said that, I think it may be inappropriate for anyone who is not an official mouthpiece of Surfing Australia to make any public announcement on resolutions reached at the national forum.

PeterP
846 posts
29 Aug 2012 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

The ISA have not determined what class it will be in Peru next year - my bet is on 14'....

The discussion about whether a board limits bigger guys or not is not really the issue for me - the issue is a 12'6 limits everyone in terms of speed and thats what irks me.

We recently had a race where one of the top US paddlers came over to join in. He chose to ride a 12'6 where everyone in our elite field is on 14's. The result...our elite guys beat him, but he won the 12'6 money which in my opinion should have gone to our elite guys who beat him. Why must he be rewarded for entering an inferior class with no competition? Let him race with our elite guys and if he wants to use a 12'6 - let him, its his problem, not the race organisers or his competitiors who now lost out on prize-money.

Thats why I'm suggesting doing away with the 12'6 class but letting them race all they want. For the recreational paddler the 12'6 may be the choice for many reasons listed above, but if you have a class for 12'6 there will always be some elite guy stealing the show in this class anyway and taking prizes away from the guys he actually didn't beat......

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
29 Aug 2012 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Simple Just buy both , plenty of great second hand boards around

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

at the end of the day if your serious about racing in aust, as it stands or will stand or change next month or whatever, you will have two boards at least. a 12'6 and a 14' er.

i would bet that at least 65% of racers do now

PeterP
846 posts
29 Aug 2012 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

In South Africa the serious guys also have two boards - a flatwater and a downwind board - but they are both 14's......

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
29 Aug 2012 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

How is a 12"6 a disadvantage for big guys cause they have to go wider, but smaller guys can go super narrow on a 14 comparatively anyway. Don't they both equally "disadvantage" bigger guys?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Aug 2012 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

How is a 12"6 a disadvantage for big guys cause they have to go wider, but smaller guys can go super narrow on a 14 comparatively anyway. Don't they both equally "disadvantage" bigger guys?

wider is slower for sure. a bigger guy doesn't have to go wide on a 14'er. boards are going down to 25'' and are set to go narrower.

it always amazes me what that an extra foot and half makes

PeterP
846 posts
29 Aug 2012 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

Yes they do - and therefore you won't find many race winners over 75kg irrespective of class. Only exception may be long open ocean downwinding as proven by DK - but maybe he is just a freak.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...

RJK said...

Yes they do - and therefore you won't find many race winners over 75kg irrespective of class. Only exception may be long open ocean downwinding as proven by DK - but maybe he is just a freak.

DK is certainly a freak but he is on record as saying he will not do BOP races as he believes 12'6" absolutely disadvantages heavier paddlers.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Aug 2012 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...

The ISA have not determined what class it will be in Peru next year - my bet is on 14'....

That's the game changer right there. My understanding is the ISA would like the Long Distance class to be 14' and will endeavour to make it so in the future, but they remain concerned about the difficulties of transporting 14' boards to Peru for as long as the event is based in that country (which will most likely be just this one more time).

So decisions are being made based on temporary concerns.

krankiman
WA, 86 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

Sorry but it has nothing to do with how heavy your body weight is.
It's all power to strength ratio! Always has been and always will be.
If u feel under strength well go do some weight training or strength training simple.
The whole I can't paddle a 12'6 as good as lighter people is a farse.
I can then say at 65kg paddling a 14ft isn't fair for me as I have push more board.
Nope not true.
Power to strength ratio is what it's all about.
X Angie

quote taken from sup racer "training with jacko"

"After we've recovered from the run or ride, we add in a gym session just for fun. We do these gym routines pretty quick to keep the cardio gains going; you don't want to just gain a bunch of muscle mass and nothing else, otherwise you'll be too heavy to win the big races"

so are you guys giving us false info on sup racer??..lol

the weight of the paddler certainly has an impact on a paddle boards performance, as it increases wetted surface area. this has a huge impact on hull speed as you will push more water,

sure being bigger may give you some advantage in regards to power, but you are also moving an increased mass not including the added drag of the board. so it is effectively mitigated.

A 12'6 will sink more with a 100kg guy than with a 65kg guy, so will a 14' assuming the 2 boards have the same volume the ratio of wetted surface area will change far less on the 14' due to the increased length providing more bouyancy and displacement. this reduces the weight advantage considerably. by further increasing board length this will be reduced even more.

to put this into dryland terms, 2 cars of equal weight and horse power go driving on the sand, one has wide tyres, one has narrow tyres, the outcome is the wide tyres will out perform the narrow tyres. but putting a lighter car on the narrower tyres would reduce this advantage.

the only way to race fairly is to use identical boards, (length, width displacement) with a ballast system to even the weight of the lightest paddlers, with that of the heaviest then whoever can produce the most watts for the longest period of time will win.

or at least make some dimensions restrictions on width that even things up a bit.

if you can beat 14's on a 12'6 awesome if you can't get a 14' or bigger.

at the end of the day, anything that evens the field is a good thing for the sport, obviously logistics sponsor etc, drive pro events, but is does put the big guy at a disadvantage and is a shame.

I hope organisers keep an open mind and look to the future and longevity of the sport.

krankiman
WA, 86 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

check this out, if you have a lot of time on your hands

its about hull design

www.greenval.com/shape_part1.html

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Ok so why not have weight classes , over 85kg and under 85Kg or something like that , and for the real big boppers a heavy weight division over 100kgs? So you have line honours and then winners in the respective weight classes.

paul.j
QLD, 3342 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

krankiman said...

angie pangi said...

If u feel under strength well go do some weight training or strength training simple.
I can then say at 65kg paddling a 14ft isn't fair for me as I have push more board.
Nope not true.
X Angie

"After we've recovered from the run or ride, we add in a gym session just for fun. We do these gym routines pretty quick to keep the cardio gains going; you don't want to just gain a bunch of muscle mass and nothing else, otherwise you'll be too heavy to win the big races"

the weight of the paddler certainly has an impact on a paddle boards performance, as it increases wetted surface area. this has a huge impact on hull speed as you will push more water,

sure being bigger may give you some advantage in regards to power, but you are also moving an increased mass not including the added drag of the board. so it is effectively mitigated.

A 12'6 will sink more with a 100kg guy than with a 65kg guy, so will a 14' assuming the 2 boards have the same volume the ratio of wetted surface area will change far less on the 14' due to the increased length providing more bouyancy and displacement. this reduces the weight advantage considerably. by further increasing board length this will be reduced even more.

to put this into dryland terms, 2 cars of equal weight and horse power go driving on the sand, one has wide tyres, one has narrow tyres, the outcome is the wide tyres will out perform the narrow tyres. but putting a lighter car on the narrower tyres would reduce this advantage.

the only way to race fairly is to use identical boards, (length, width displacement) with a ballast system to even the weight of the lightest paddlers, with that of the heaviest then whoever can produce the most watts for the longest period of time will win.

or at least make some dimensions restrictions on width that even things up a bit.

at the end of the day, anything that evens the field is a good thing for the sport, obviously logistics sponsor etc, drive pro events, but is does put the big guy at a disadvantage and is a shame.

I hope organisers keep an open mind and look to the future and longevity of

That's right just having big muscles does not make you fast!! Maybe the biggest factor in all this is height and balance ability? If you are a short 100kg person and have great balance you could ride the same width board as I do but maybe with just a bit more volume? Maybe the main thing people need to work on is balance? So maybe if you are over 6'3 you need to ride a 14ft board? Who knows? Has anyone done testing to back up any of this kind of stuff?

paul.j
QLD, 3342 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

The more I think about this topic the more I think balance skills have to be a big part of it!! Take someone like Pete Dorries can paddle my board just as fast as I can and he is 94kg but he has good balance skills. Part of out training is balance work stuff like standing on balance ball or paddling clubie mals and stuff like that. It would be good to get a 100kg guy and work with them to get there balance better and see if it makes a difference!! Any big guys out there working on balancing skills? I would love it if SUP was a huge advantage for guys under 70kg as I suck at basket ball and always cry that the rules should be changed to help the smaller guys!!

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

krankiman said...

angie pangi said...

Nope not true.
X Angie

I hope organisers keep an open mind and look to the future and longevity of the sport.

i agree with a few things you say. but the car analogy doesnt include the fact that when you 'grab a lighter car and put it on skiny tyres' you are grabbing a car with a smaller engine so as to reduce weight.

big guys complain that they hav to go wider on a 12'6 and its unfair cause wide boards are slow, but its all relative!!! a big guy may have to go 30'' while the lighter guys go 28'' or 26'' on a 12'6. but put them both on a 14' and the bigger guy is happy cause he can ride a 28'' board, but a lighter guy then has the option to ride say a 20'' board. its the same level of so called disadvantage!!

im over 90kg, am i in the disadvantaged class or not?? i would like to know so that i can start using it as an excuse

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6" started by OG SUP