Created by OG SUP > 9 months ago, 28 Aug 2012
paul.j
QLD, 3342 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

krankiman said...

angie pangi said...

Sorry but it has nothing to do with how heavy your body weight is.
It's all power to strength ratio! Always has been and always will be.
If u feel under strength well go do some weight training or strength training simple.
The whole I can't paddle a 12'6 as good as lighter people is a farse.
I can then say at 65kg paddling a 14ft isn't fair for me as I have push more board.
Nope not true.
Power to strength ratio is what it's all about.
X Angie

quote taken from sup racer "training with jacko"

"After we've recovered from the run or ride, we add in a gym session just for fun. We do these gym routines pretty quick to keep the cardio gains going; you don't want to just gain a bunch of muscle mass and nothing else, otherwise you'll be too heavy to win the big races"

so are you guys giving us false info on sup racer??..lol

the weight of the paddler certainly has an impact on a paddle boards performance, as it increases wetted surface area. this has a huge impact on hull speed as you will push more water,

sure being bigger may give you some advantage in regards to power, but you are also moving an increased mass not including the added drag of the board. so it is effectively mitigated.

A 12'6 will sink more with a 100kg guy than with a 65kg guy, so will a 14' assuming the 2 boards have the same volume the ratio of wetted surface area will change far less on the 14' due to the increased length providing more bouyancy and displacement. this reduces the weight advantage considerably. by further increasing board length this will be reduced even more.

to put this into dryland terms, 2 cars of equal weight and horse power go driving on the sand, one has wide tyres, one has narrow tyres, the outcome is the wide tyres will out perform the narrow tyres. but putting a lighter car on the narrower tyres would reduce this advantage.

the only way to race fairly is to use identical boards, (length, width displacement) with a ballast system to even the weight of the lightest paddlers, with that of the heaviest then whoever can produce the most watts for the longest period of time will win.

or at least make some dimensions restrictions on width that even things up a bit.

if you can beat 14's on a 12'6 awesome if you can't get a 14' or bigger.

at the end of the day, anything that evens the field is a good thing for the sport, obviously logistics sponsor etc, drive pro events, but is does put the big guy at a disadvantage and is a shame.

I hope organisers keep an open mind and look to the future and longevity of the sport.

i agree with a few things you say. but the car analogy doesnt include the fact that when you 'grab a lighter car and put it on skiny tyres' you are grabbing a car with a smaller engine so as to reduce weight.

big guys complain that they hav to go wider on a 12'6 and its unfair cause wide boards are slow, but its all relative!!! a big guy may have to go 30'' while the lighter guys go 28'' or 26'' on a 12'6. but put them both on a 14' and the bigger guy is happy cause he can ride a 28'' board, but a lighter guy then has the option to ride say a 20'' board. its the same level of so called disadvantage!!

im over 90kg, am i in the disadvantaged class or not?? i would like to know so that i can start using it as an excuse

Thanks mate i was also going to say pretty much the same thing about the 14ft class!! I have no problems with it going to 14ft as i will just ride a 23 inch board and the 100kg guy still wont be able to go that narrow!!

I thought you already had enough excuse's why do you want another one?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

The more I think about this topic the more I think balance skills have to be a big part of it!! Take someone like Pete Dorries can paddle my board just as fast as I can and he is 94kg but he has good balance skills. Part of out training is balance work stuff like standing on balance ball or paddling clubie mals and stuff like that. It would be good to get a 100kg guy and work with them to get there balance better and see if it makes a difference!! Any big guys out there working on balancing skills? I would love it if SUP was a huge advantage for guys under 70kg as I suck at basket ball and always cry that the rules should be changed to help the smaller guys!!

A friend of mine wanted to establish a new basketball league for people less than 6' and with the hoop about 2' lower so us short arses could dunk.

As for the balance skills and strength, one thing the Melbourne crew has come to realise is that our racing out on the bay and in the rivers has done very little for our leg strength and balance. Once we hit the waters of Bass Strait for the state titles or the Pacific Ocean for nationals, a 20km marathon is a whole different experience than it is in Port Phillip. In our longest club races on the bay and our 15km+ training sessions, we might end up with sore shoulders, forearms and backs, whereas the state and nationals has destroyed our legs much more so. Not to mention seeing us get wet a whole lot more.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

The more I think about this topic the more I think balance skills have to be a big part of it!! Take someone like Pete Dorries can paddle my board just as fast as I can and he is 94kg but he has good balance skills. Part of out training is balance work stuff like standing on balance ball or paddling clubie mals and stuff like that. It would be good to get a 100kg guy and work with them to get there balance better and see if it makes a difference!! Any big guys out there working on balancing skills? I would love it if SUP was a huge advantage for guys under 70kg as I suck at basket ball and always cry that the rules should be changed to help the smaller guys!!

edit: rant moved to the other 12'6 vs 14 thread, for reasons of (ir)relevance

Al Hunter
NSW, 367 posts
30 Aug 2012 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Deano72 said...

I reckon the big issue is for State titles and club races events, that are used as a lead up to the Nationals, and want to use the same format.
People that are having a crack at it want to be on the right equipment.
What happens if the Elite crew are on 12'6" and they get dusted by someone having a 'good time race' on a 14'....does the 14' paddler get recognition for their efforts??

Very interesting point as most certainly Dave kissane would have ended 1st this year at the nationals if Beau had taken is 12'6.
Imagine Dave to be in a even better form next year and crossing the line 1st on his 14' (because he is in the over 40 class) . This is not science fiction. Then would people say " he would not beat the elite if they were on 14' as well ?"
But maybe not, maybe he would have won the all thing anyway.
That's a total lack of recognition and he prove this year that it is a hard call.

I am not suggesting than because of that everybody should be on a 12'6.
I love my 14' and the real question should be
Is the Australian national title a big race that should be recognised as a big event itself ( and nomination for the ISA World title a by product of it) or the only purpose of the Australian national title is to select 2 men and 1 girl to go the the world title?
If it is only for world title selection please let us know before, because it does concern only about 6 boys and 3 girls in the country so all the others might even go race somewhere else to participate in a real popular event
And don't worry if it goes 12'6 only, we'll soon see 12'6 for BOP and 12'6 for downwind..

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Aug 2012 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

paul.j said...

A friend of mine wanted to establish a new basketball league for people less than 6' and with the hoop about 2' lower so us short arses could dunk.

As for the balance skills and strength, one thing the Melbourne crew has come to realise is that our racing out on the bay and in the rivers has done very little for our leg strength and balance. Once we hit the waters of Bass Strait for the state titles or the Pacific Ocean for nationals, a 20km marathon is a whole different experience than it is in Port Phillip. In our longest club races on the bay and our 15km+ training sessions, we might end up with sore shoulders, forearms and backs, whereas the state and nationals has destroyed our legs much more so. Not to mention seeing us get wet a whole lot more.

yeah, i've wondered about that. if we get 30 knots of wind or so, well its fully blown victory at sea stuff, where you guys would consider it a good average run.

that kind of wind usually comes with strong swell after a day or so around here.

are you guys considering some more ocean runs and where would you guys go.

a map would be good.

interestingly, a few of us have done some moreton bay runs and are looking to do some more then the sea are just a bit to wild and the surf is a hazard

cheers

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
30 Aug 2012 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Al Hunter said...
........and the real question should be
Is the Australian national title a big race that should be recognised as a big event itself ( and nomination for the ISA World title a by product of it) or the only purpose of the Australian national title is to select 2 men and 1 girl to go the the world title?

That question will be awswered when the Aussie team is announced.

krankiman
WA, 86 posts
30 Aug 2012 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

RJK said...

krankiman said...

angie pangi said...

Sorry but it has nothing to do with how heavy your body weight is.
It's all power to strength ratio! Always has been and always will be.
If u feel under strength well go do some weight training or strength training simple.
The whole I can't paddle a 12'6 as good as lighter people is a farse.
I can then say at 65kg paddling a 14ft isn't fair for me as I have push more board.
Nope not true.
Power to strength ratio is what it's all about.
X Angie

quote taken from sup racer "training with jacko"

"After we've recovered from the run or ride, we add in a gym session just for fun. We do these gym routines pretty quick to keep the cardio gains going; you don't want to just gain a bunch of muscle mass and nothing else, otherwise you'll be too heavy to win the big races"

so are you guys giving us false info on sup racer??..lol

the weight of the paddler certainly has an impact on a paddle boards performance, as it increases wetted surface area. this has a huge impact on hull speed as you will push more water,

sure being bigger may give you some advantage in regards to power, but you are also moving an increased mass not including the added drag of the board. so it is effectively mitigated.

A 12'6 will sink more with a 100kg guy than with a 65kg guy, so will a 14' assuming the 2 boards have the same volume the ratio of wetted surface area will change far less on the 14' due to the increased length providing more bouyancy and displacement. this reduces the weight advantage considerably. by further increasing board length this will be reduced even more.

to put this into dryland terms, 2 cars of equal weight and horse power go driving on the sand, one has wide tyres, one has narrow tyres, the outcome is the wide tyres will out perform the narrow tyres. but putting a lighter car on the narrower tyres would reduce this advantage.

the only way to race fairly is to use identical boards, (length, width displacement) with a ballast system to even the weight of the lightest paddlers, with that of the heaviest then whoever can produce the most watts for the longest period of time will win.

or at least make some dimensions restrictions on width that even things up a bit.

if you can beat 14's on a 12'6 awesome if you can't get a 14' or bigger.

at the end of the day, anything that evens the field is a good thing for the sport, obviously logistics sponsor etc, drive pro events, but is does put the big guy at a disadvantage and is a shame.

I hope organisers keep an open mind and look to the future and longevity of the sport.

i agree with a few things you say. but the car analogy doesnt include the fact that when you 'grab a lighter car and put it on skiny tyres' you are grabbing a car with a smaller engine so as to reduce weight.

big guys complain that they hav to go wider on a 12'6 and its unfair cause wide boards are slow, but its all relative!!! a big guy may have to go 30'' while the lighter guys go 28'' or 26'' on a 12'6. but put them both on a 14' and the bigger guy is happy cause he can ride a 28'' board, but a lighter guy then has the option to ride say a 20'' board. its the same level of so called disadvantage!!

im over 90kg, am i in the disadvantaged class or not?? i would like to know so that i can start using it as an excuse

Thanks mate i was also going to say pretty much the same thing about the 14ft class!! I have no problems with it going to 14ft as i will just ride a 23 inch board and the 100kg guy still wont be able to go that narrow!!

I thought you already had enough excuse's why do you want another one?

I agree with the car thing I should of specified it had the same horse power gearing etc. it should convey what i was getting at.

paul is right width is a big factor as well (once again it effects wetted surface area), paddling is faster than swimming any day, I think jim terrell mentioned in one of his articles the need to specify a minimum width for racing, to prevent people paddling 14' broom sticks.

the point is "weight makes a difference" , currently a longer board makes this less of an issue, unless we get silly and make 20" wide boards, hence JT's call for a minimum width, like sprint canoes etc.

in cycling the TDF bike must be commercially available and has minimum weight this means a rider on a big frame can have a bike the same weight as a guy on a small bike.

anyone who races regularly enjoys it but doesn't turn up to come last.

I'm a big guy, I don't complain about it as there are advantages, I don't train enough or come first i just paddle a 14'er to be competitive and not come last.

paul.j
QLD, 3342 posts
30 Aug 2012 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure i agree with having a Min width! if you did it would then make it unfair for the people with super good balance, there comes a point where you can only stand on something so narrow anyway and when you find that point that is the width for you. How do you know what width is right for you? well that comes with time on the water!! look at what we are riding now compared to a few years ago and really who knows how norrow we can go? If you are not super worried about finishing first then just buy whats right for you it might be a 21ft board but if thats what suits you then happy days!!!

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
30 Aug 2012 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Deano72 said...

Al Hunter said...

If the race winners from Nationals are selected for the Aussie team the interesting part of this discussion might have some relevance.....otherwise.....
If the National Titles are not used to select the team going to the World Titles then why would there be any consideration whatsoever for Australian racing to follow the lead of the ISA's changes to board lengths that have only come about due to board transportation issues.....and possibly only for next year.
Particularly considering we are currently using the most suitable board length for each race discipline in Australia and the majority of people are happy with things the way they are....if it aint broke why try to fix it??

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
30 Aug 2012 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Deano72 said...

Deano72 said...

Al Hunter said...

If the race winners from Nationals are selected for the Aussie team the interesting part of this discussion might have some relevance.....otherwise.....
If the National Titles are not used to select the team going to the World Titles then why would there be any consideration whatsoever for Australian racing to follow the lead of the ISA's changes to board lengths that have only come about due to board transportation issues.....and possibly only for next year.
Particularly considering we are currently using the most suitable board length for each race discipline in Australia and the majority of people are happy with things the way they are....if it aint broke why try to fix it??

Yes that is the elephant in the room, and by that, I assume you are referring to the issue raised by SUPracer on his blog:
www.supracer.com/aussie-sup-titles-2012/

SUPracer said...

Team selectors might have a problem though, as both Jamie Mitchell and Travis Grant will miss the SUP races this weekend. The two represented Team Australia at the inaugural ISA SUP World Champs earlier this year and scooped the medals. However Travis Grant is injured, while JM is currently lost in the Oregon wilderness, so it'll be interesting to see if either of these guys is offered a wildcard for next year's event. Whoever else wins the titles this weekend will be very deserving of a spot, but it's also hard to argue against these two guys being Australia's best stand up paddlers.

But as Deano72 and Al Hunter have both alluded, if Travis and Jamie go to Peru again, it makes it that much harder to justify changing our format for state and nationals to comply with an overseas race that no-one in Australia has an opportunity to qualify for.

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
30 Aug 2012 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

It seems that some people are taking this all a bit too seriously!

Any decent paddler can lay their hands on a decent 12'6 or 14 footer, to suit an event they wish to enter. Some really good paddlers are even locked into a very small selection of boards from their sponsor/manufacturer.

If you rock up to a race, you need to take a small gamble on board selection for the conditions on the day.

These are your generic board selections, and I know most of us know when to choose which one, and which style to most suitable to an individuals weight...;
12'6 Race - Narrow
12'6 Race - Not as Narrow
12'6 BOP - optional additional to above 2 boards
14'0 Race - Narrow
14'0 Race - Not as Narrow
14'0 Open Ocean
Unlimited Open Ocean

I think the manufacturers need to be versatile enough to have the above set of Proto's for their top riders. Manufacturers get to muck around with rockers, rails, nose types, scoop decks, etc, etc.

For the punters with a limited budget, they will always be stuck for picking 1 x 12'6, and 1 x 14'0, and borrowed boards, and maybe putting their old 14'0 on Seabreeze Buy & Sell, to help fund their next adventure / choice of 14'0 ...!

Board transit will always be a problem. Even for 12'6.

krankiman
WA, 86 posts
30 Aug 2012 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

Not sure i agree with having a Min width! if you did it would then make it unfair for the people with super good balance, there comes a point where you can only stand on something so narrow anyway and when you find that point that is the width for you. How do you know what width is right for you? well that comes with time on the water!! look at what we are riding now compared to a few years ago and really who knows how norrow we can go? If you are not super worried about finishing first then just buy whats right for you it might be a 21ft board but if thats what suits you then happy days!!!

what I meant by with minimum width is, 14' board 28" minimum width (example only) for that class or whatever, thats as narrow as the board can be, the designers can go crazy with profiles shapes rockers etc, the balance is not the issue its to even up the wetted surface area between lighter and heavier paddlers.

anyway I was just throwing the idea out there, AA has another post going re 12'6 vs 14 and hes hit the nail on the head. at the end of the day its about fun.

too get big money into any sport you need participation, if you include a bigger field, you get more money, so its actually a valid point even for the elite, as it makes for more elite racers.

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

PTWoody said...

paul.j said...

yeah, i've wondered about that. if we get 30 knots of wind or so, well its fully blown victory at sea stuff, where you guys would consider it a good average run.

that kind of wind usually comes with strong swell after a day or so around here.

are you guys considering some more ocean runs and where would you guys go.

a map would be good.

interestingly, a few of us have done some moreton bay runs and are looking to do some more then the sea are just a bit to wild and the surf is a hazard

cheers

Hey Lacey,
if I drive the hour and a half or more to the ocean its always to chase some waves on the surf sup and that also means hoping for light offshore winds going off web forecasts so not ideal for downwind, but may have to start throwing the big board on the roof and combining the two.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

bit of a mission by the sounds of it. i suppose we are a bit lucky- bop train or fun surf the big boards or surf in the morning, dw in the afternoon on those good days

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

It seems that some people are taking this all a bit too seriously!

Simondo with respect this is THE stand up paddle board forum and ALL things are serious.

I read all this stuff and I think in times like this, I back the people who have a sound knowledge and have achieved along the way,not the want to be.

Yep Lacey knows his fins and other sh-t,Jacko and Angie have my money,just saying from a long time lurker part time sup'er long term surfer.

Like it or not people,just saying it out loudSorry to those who maybe offended

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

This is a vid I posted a while back, vision is not great due to wind squalls and in a homer moment i forgot the tripod but you'll get the idea.

OG, in all seriousness, you need to lift your game on the HD Video front. Next good run, you need to set yourself up with the tripod (that Nick retrieved from Mornington Pier!?), get some good footage on Super Zoom!

You do set a very high watermark with your still photography!

A different days Downwind Adventure...

On a different day, I assisted in dropping a fly-weight Fanatic off the roof, in about 40 knots. Phil taped it up, and we headed off anyway. In the process, we got caught by a huge rain & wind squall... Phill stood out in the rain, anchoring the board, while Kristi & I ducked for cover. Needless to say, Phil was saturated! But there were towels on hand, so Phil took off his wet jeans, and wrapped a dry towel around his waist.

Later on, near the landing location (which is a slightly dodgey nookie location, and potential car dumping location), Phil was watching us through binoculars, talking to us UHF radio, and the Cops roll past, and start asking, "what the hell are you doing wearing that towel, who are you perving on, and who is your accomplice on the UHF!" Gold! Keeping in mind that he's driving the A-Team Pimp Mobile, Nissan Elgrande! With window curtains!

That's what stand-up is about!

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

OG SUP said...

This is a vid I posted a while back, vision is not great due to wind squalls and in a homer moment i forgot the tripod but you'll get the idea.

OG, in all seriousness, you need to lift your game on the HD Video front. Next good run, you need to set yourself up with the tripod (that Nick retrieved from Mornington Pier!?), get some good footage on Super Zoom!

You do set a very high watermark with your still photography!

A different days Downwind Adventure...

On a different day, I assisted in dropping a fly-weight Fanatic off the roof, in about 40 knots. Phil taped it up, and we headed off anyway. In the process, we got caught by a huge rain & wind squall... Phill stood out in the rain, anchoring the board, while Kristi & I ducked for cover. Needless to say, Phil was saturated! But there were towels on hand, so Phil took off his wet jeans, and wrapped a dry towel around his waist.

Later on, near the landing location (which is a slightly dodgey nookie location, and potential car dumping location), Phil was watching us through binoculars, talking to us UHF radio, and the Cops roll past, and start asking, "what the hell are you doing wearing that towel, who are you perving on, and who is your accomplice on the UHF!" Gold! Keeping in mind that he's driving the A-Team Pimp Mobile, Nissan Elgrande! With window curtains!

That's what stand-up is about!

now that is funny

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

OK I've just ordered a custom 13.5 to sit in the middle

Scotty88
4214 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

OK I've just ordered a custom 13.5 to sit in the middle

So would that length of board be too long for BOP and would it be too short for the glide I need in a DW ? There's another topic right there. So where does that Luc Very Longley's DC 23 fit into the scheme of things ?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6" started by OG SUP