Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Interesting threads

Created by Ted the Kiwi > 9 months ago, 17 Jun 2014
thePup
13831 posts
16 Jan 2017 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

mmmmmm ahhhh the compact button hmmmmm now how to get the feckin posts to order up

MickPC
8266 posts
16 Jan 2017 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..
mmmmmm ahhhh the compact button hmmmmm now how to get the feckin posts to order up

haha dunno if you can mate, looks like it sorts sh1t according to threads you have posted in rather than latest posts to the top.

Problem I had earlier was posting pics, you gotta switch to plain text editor if the pics are from outside sources.

SP
10979 posts
18 Jan 2017 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said..

SP said..
good article...

https://www.playboy.com/articles/wiped-out-big-wave-surfing-crystal-meth

Epic read.

More common were stories of strung-out big-wave surfers: a paranoid Peter Mel on the roof of his house, trying to disconnect the telephone wires

Yes indeed.
Wild boys..

SP
10979 posts
19 Jan 2017 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Jan 2017 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Have you seen the doco "Sea of Darkness" SP? It covers that incident in a bit more detail - ie where the drugs came from and who supplied them. When you read that interview it states........

Warshaw: Not sure if he went with Lopez, but was one of the early guys there, yes. So he had a bit more zing off the top then Gerry, but was never going to snatch the pebble from the masters hand in terms of tuberiding. Lopez probably did his very best surfing at G-land in those early years. Raz couldn't touch him. Nobody could.

In the Sea of Darkness they make it out pretty clearly that whilst Gerry was the King of Pipe - the real King of G-Land was a Newcastle fella by the name of Peter McCabe . Some great footage of the pair of them stying it at G-Land in those early days along with Mike Boyum.

Some light reading here

www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/3278891/my-wild-ride-surfing-legend-peter-mccabe-comes-clean-on-dark-past/

SP
10979 posts
23 Jan 2017 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah i have seen it.

I watched it again the other week when i was on a flight actually.

Well worth a watch for those that haven't seen it.

Trailer here.

SP
10979 posts
25 Jan 2017 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

www.surfersjournal.com/feature/edge-boards-mysterious-mr-x/

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
25 Jan 2017 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

That's a great watch SP. Some nice footage of Single Fin in all its glory on a Sunday arvo / evening. No doubt Mac will be there this weekend - lucky man

SP
10979 posts
26 Jan 2017 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

WSL having a shocker. Again

NEWS
WSL Flirting With Switching To Single Fin for Longboarding Competition

Chase Scheinbaum
The Inertia Contributing Writer

Are groovier times ahead for WSL longboarding? Photo: Joel Tudor Instagram

The Inertia
The World Surf League is apparently flirting with making substantive changes to its longboarding competition, including mandating single-fin setups for all surfers.

In a slightly confusing twist, on Monday, the league told athletes that the single fin rule had been instated, but "within minutes after issuing, we received word from the Commissioner's office that the rule would not be implemented, " WSL spokesperson Lauren Rolland said in email correspondence. The league's change of heart came about because "more discussions needed to take place to involve the surfers in the decision," and that the rule would not go into effect this year.

The league then communicated with longboarders, telling them in a separate mass email:

"Appreciate the feedback on changing to single fin only. We apologize that more extensive communication between the WSL and the athletes was not had, as such we are tabling the proposed adjustment. Understand that it is the WSL's goal to create a longboarding product that is sustainable and celebrated, we look forward to more conversation regarding this over the coming season."

Advertisement

If the rule ever takes effect, it may be one step in reinvigorating what some critics say is a stale competition format, ushering in more classic longboarding technique while perhaps de-emphasizing the thruster-setup-on-a-longboard mentality.

On Instagram, longboard legend Joel Tudor posted an image apparently showing the communique sent to surfers, writing in the caption:

"The times they are a changing! Been a lot years trying to accomplish this - it will still take time to iron out the kinks - congrats @wsl on making a change for the better."

In a comment, Tudor added: "from my understanding it will be a complete rebuild of the format."

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Jan 2017 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
love joel tudor surfing....but as a human he is so self righteous it makes me taste my own vomit sometimes....

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
26 Jan 2017 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..

NEWS

Chase Scheinbaum

The Inertia
The World Surf League is apparently flirting with making substantive changes to its longboarding competition, including mandating single-fin setups for all surfers.

In a slightly confusing twist, on Monday, the league told athletes that the single fin rule had been instated, but "within minutes after issuing, we received word from the Commissioner's office that the rule would not be implemented, " WSL spokesperson Lauren Rolland said in email correspondence. The league's change of heart came about because "more discussions needed to take place to involve the surfers in the decision," and that the rule would not go into effect this year.

The league then communicated with longboarders, telling them in a separate mass email:

"Appreciate the feedback on changing to single fin only. We apologize that more extensive communication between the WSL and the athletes was not had, as such we are tabling the proposed adjustment. Understand that it is the WSL's goal to create a longboarding product that is sustainable and celebrated, we look forward to more conversation regarding this over the coming season."

Advertisement

If the rule ever takes effect, it may be one step in reinvigorating what some critics say is a stale competition format, ushering in more classic longboarding technique while perhaps de-emphasizing the thruster-setup-on-a-longboard mentality.

On Instagram, longboard legend Joel Tudor posted an image apparently showing the communique sent to surfers, writing in the caption:

"The times they are a changing! Been a lot years trying to accomplish this - it will still take time to iron out the kinks - congrats @wsl on making a change for the better."

In a comment, Tudor added: "from my understanding it will be a complete rebuild of the format."

Bring it on!

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
26 Jan 2017 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said..

SP said..

NEWS

Chase Scheinbaum

The Inertia

Advertisement

Bring it on!

+1

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
26 Jan 2017 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al G said..

vanders1 said..

SP said..

NEWS

Chase Scheinbaum

The Inertia

Advertisement

Bring it on!

+1

how is it going make competition better ? ****ing hipsters

seriously though how will the comps benefit by just being a single fin?

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
26 Jan 2017 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Tbh I think it should probably be an alternate category, and I reckon a bit more coverage would probably help their cause too.

SP
10979 posts
26 Jan 2017 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Run what you brung...

LBing isn't about what fin you have. Taylor Jensen has beat the hipsters in noserides comps to prove it.

Change the judging criteria but why tell.people what you fin ypu have to use.
It is the opposite of what LB riding is... Ride what you want and have fun doing it... no criteria just do it and as.long as your having fun why listen to anyone about what fin you should use or how you should surf..

Fins make **** all difference anyway. The board is way more of an influencing factor on how it is surfed.

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
26 Jan 2017 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yes that is true SP,I think they're just trying to go back to the origin of longboarding(hence the groovier times ahead),there where no thrusters in the 50s and 60s but sure we are in the 2000s now.In saying that there's always the Old Mal comps to go in if that's what people are interested in!...

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
27 Jan 2017 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al G said..
Yes that is true SP,I think they're just trying to go back to the origin of longboarding(hence the groovier times ahead),there where no thrusters in the 50s and 60s but sure we are in the 2000s now.In saying that there's always the Old Mal comps to go in if that's what people are interested in!...

So vanders trolled me and alig just follows what vanders says...

Exactly sp

They can also go into Joel Tudors invitational comp that only his cool hipster mates who hate the idea of competitions compete in lol

Is Joel Tudor a mod? How did my comment about his self righteousness make me taste my own vomit get deleted ? Funny

Also I would hate to see the likes of Harley , Joel tilley, Dane Pioli and crew from showing all their skills because people want to limit a comp to what their ideals are over the benefit of the sport.... sometimes a single fin will suit a wave and sometimes it will ruin a wave.

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
27 Jan 2017 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

They can also go into Joel Tudors invitational comp that only his cool hipster mates who hate the idea of competitions compete in lol

Is Joel Tudor a mod? How did my comment about his self righteousness make me taste my own vomit get deleted ? Funny

Also I would hate to see the likes of Harley , Joel tilley, Dane Pioli and crew from showing all their skills because people want to limit a comp to what their ideals are over the benefit of the sport.... sometimes a single fin will suit a wave and sometimes it will ruin a wave.

Chrissy,who is alig

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
27 Jan 2017 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

Chrissy,who is alig

That post sums you up.... Bravo

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
27 Jan 2017 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

Chrissy,who is alig

So what sums you up?..Bravado

Macaha
QLD, 21884 posts
27 Jan 2017 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

SP is on the money I see daily good longboards out perform me on my HP board, it's the surfer not the fins.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
27 Jan 2017 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

Chrissy,who is alig

So what sums you

Wow you are way too clever for me

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
27 Jan 2017 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

Chrissy,who is alig

So what sums you

mmm,not quite the answer I was looking for but yeah ok,sometimes I can be sagacious

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
27 Jan 2017 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

Chrissy,who is alig

So what sums you

mmm,not quite the answer I was looking for but yeah ok,sometimes I can be sagacious

Well we all know what they say about people who pat themselves on the back....and it's not sagacious..lol

And not the answer you expected arrogant drunken **** might be a better description than sagacious ....sorry just being sagacious

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
27 Jan 2017 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

chrispy said..

Al G said..

Exactly sp

Chrissy,who is alig

So what sums you

Well we all know what they say about people who pat themselves on the back....and it's not sagacious..lol

And not the answer you expected arrogant drunken **** might be a better description than sagacious ....sorry just being sagacious

mmm,lets see,you patted me on the back first,so what are people saying about you,LOL
btw,you still haven't answered the question yet,dont be sorry for being sagacious most pretentious,bong smoking ****wits are like that,you'll get over it

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Interesting threads" started by Ted the Kiwi