Northern NSW

Created by Macaha > 9 months ago, 27 Jul 2015
laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
11 Nov 2015 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..
This one doesn't scare me as much as the others.

Surfing at 6.30pm, alone, near a river mouth. lots of rain lately and bait fish around.

It is when an attack is likely to happen. Whites and attacks in the middle of the day worry me more then what you'd call a typical east coast shark attack by a bull shark .

It is horrible luck and i hope the bloke recovers quick and witout lasting injuries.

Culling in this case IMO is ridiculous, like to see someone try to kill all the bull sharks around Ballina, would take a lifetime and never probably get the one you are after and if you did get the one you want then another one will just take it's place. The only real solution that will keep everyone happy is deterrents or barriers.

I see they say they will have nets deployed before xmas.

fair points. I did think it was a really bad time to be surfing. but having said that lots of people do surf at that time.

however people still insist on quoting lightning figures . to me that doesn't add up when they say in the same breath when you shouldn't go in.

should he have not gone out because its a known shark area now. raises a lot of questions that one

I still think hang around big sharks should go.

boofy thinks the scent thing is a joke. pup thought they were on to something.

confusing- yes.

fact- more attacks then ever before

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..
This one doesn't scare me as much as the others.

Surfing at 6.30pm, alone, near a river mouth. lots of rain lately and bait fish around.

It is when an attack is likely to happen. Whites and attacks in the middle of the day worry me more then what you'd call a typical east coast shark attack by a bull shark .

It is horrible luck and i hope the bloke recovers quick and witout lasting injuries.

Culling in this case IMO is ridiculous, like to see someone try to kill all the bull sharks around Ballina, would take a lifetime and never probably get the one you are after and if you did get the one you want then another one will just take it's place. The only real solution that will keep everyone happy is deterrents or barriers.

I see they say they will have nets deployed before xmas.

You hit the nail on the head SP I cant believe anyone would be surfing at that time at a river mouth after big rain your chances must skyrocket to be bitten
Lacey I wish they had a worried face emoticon cause yes I am worried about my dive.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
11 Nov 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

but this bullsh1t we get feed gets on my gander.

from one in five billion or whatever they quote, to a very good chance in his situation.

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

from one in five billion or whatever they quote, to a very good chance in his situation.

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

I agree with you there mate if your a surfer in northern NSW surfing at dusk or dawn at a rivermouth after heavy rain your chances go through the roof.
Also I reckon if your on a boogie board, free surfing or a shortboard you look way more like something tasty to a shark eg seal.big turtle,dugong etc. Have any longboarders been bitten
It makes me laugh when people say humans arent on the menu like weve had a record for the last 300,000 years of all the humans that have been taken by sharks around the world imagine all the worlds little islands in the oceans where natives have been taken diving, fishing, swimming etc. Its a sickening waste of money the millions of dollars they are intending spending to address the shark attacks Ive said it before cull some mcdonalds executives if your worried about perpetuating the human race.

Anything that swims or walks into the ocean is fair game for a shark they eat meat, same as a lion will eat you pet labrador if hes given the chance

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
11 Nov 2015 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said..

laceys lane said..

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

I agree with you there mate if your a surfer in northern NSW surfing at dusk or dawn at a rivermouth after heavy rain your chances go through the roof.
Also I reckon if your on a boogie board, free surfing or a shortboard you look way more like something tasty to a shark eg seal.big turtle,dugong etc. Have any longboarders been bitten
It makes me laugh when people say humans arent on the menu like weve had a record for the last 300,000 years of all the humans that have been taken by sharks around the world imagine all the worlds little islands in the oceans where natives have been taken diving, fishing, swimming etc. Its a sickening waste of money the millions of dollars they are intending spending to address the shark attacks Ive said it before cull some mcdonalds executives if your worried about perpetuating the human race.

What do people expect the gov to do?

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

boofy said..

laceys lane said..

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

Take the Fkin pollies lifelong pensions away youd have enough money to wrap shark nets round this whole country

Macaha
QLD, 21889 posts
11 Nov 2015 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Boofy what if Mc Donald's started serving shark burgers would you eat them or are you a Hungry Jacks sort of guy

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
Boofy what is Mc Donald's started serving shark burgers would you eat them or are you a Hungry Jacks sort of guy

Ha Ha mate I would go the flame grilled slab of great white with extra mercury

Macaha
QLD, 21889 posts
11 Nov 2015 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said..

Macaha said..
Boofy what is Mc Donald's started serving shark burgers would you eat them or are you a Hungry Jacks sort of guy

You really need to join us for a wave soon mate,come this week its Lacey's turn to shout

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

boofy said..

Macaha said..

You really need to join us for a wave soon mate,come this week its Lacey's turn to shout

Yeah I know mate was talking to MR Vanders last week Laceys shout Im not coming last time he served green tea out of a thermos and home made vegemite sandwiches The mate I am diving with is a dive master and has dived Julian rocks and the whole ntn NSW coast extensively as far down to sth West Rocks over 20 years he has never seen a GWS I find that amazing, he is dying to see one scuba diving but I gotta tell ya it will scare the living shiz out of me

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
11 Nov 2015 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said..

DARTH said..

boofy said..

laceys lane said..

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

Take the Fkin pollies lifelong pensions away youd have enough money to wrap shark nets round this whole country

Hahaha yea thats the way

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

boofy said..

DARTH said..

boofy said..

laceys lane said..

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

Hahaha yea thats the way

The government has ****ed eveything mate 25 years ago I had a 303 powerhead to take diving I didnt expect the government to protect me in the ocean FFS

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
11 Nov 2015 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said..

DARTH said..

boofy said..

DARTH said..

boofy said..

laceys lane said..

how does that work.

we are getting lied too

Hahaha yea thats the way

The government has ****ed eveything mate 25 years ago I had a 303 powerhead to take diving I didnt expect the government to protect me in the ocean FFS

Yea my old man had one as well, cops confiscated it with his semi auto

Yea know one should but hey, what do you do?

TimKay
752 posts
11 Nov 2015 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

I hate when this stuff happens
Hope the guy pulls through

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

1 expect the gov to do more than they have. Which is nets and drum lines.

Theres a lot they could do. Now they are playing catch up.

Australians love there ocean. Thats a good enough reason for them to get cracking on some solutions - ie effective deterrents
The gov have taken away our right to protect ourselves from sharks by protecting them.
So it their obligation to protect us

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
11 Nov 2015 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said...

Macaha said..

boofy said..

Macaha said..

Yeah I know mate was talking to MR Vanders last week Laceys shout Im not coming last time he served green tea out of a thermos and home made vegemite sandwiches The mate I am diving with is a dive master and has dived Julian rocks and the whole ntn NSW coast extensively as far down to sth West Rocks over 20 years he has never seen a GWS I find that amazing, he is dying to see one scuba diving but I gotta tell ya it will scare the living shiz out of me

Boofy. Does that make you 'dive grasshopper'

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

boofy said...

Macaha said..

boofy said..

Macaha said..

Boofy. Does that make 'dive grasshopper'

yes mate I am plankton in the food chain wax on wax off

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
11 Nov 2015 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

What's happened to the WA attacks? Seem to have suddenly stopped after Colin stopped baiting em

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
11 Nov 2015 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Australians love there ocean. Thats a good enough reason for them to get cracking on some solutions - ie effective deterrents
The gov have taken away our right to protect ourselves from sharks by protecting them.

Taxes are high enough already

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
11 Nov 2015 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

laceys lane said..

I have got to agree with Darth Lacey where do we stop we choose to go into the ocean mate its a calculated risk , i used to love tearing through the bush on my KTM I didnt expect the government to put foam padding around every tree I screamed past.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
11 Nov 2015 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said...
DARTH said..

laceys lane said..

I have got to agree with Darth Lacey where do we stop we choose to go into the ocean mate its a calculated risk , i used to love tearing through the bush on my KTM I didnt expect the government to put foam padding around every tree I screamed past.

I agree. And a very close friend died from one of the white attacks here. Still don't want to see them killed.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
11 Nov 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said..

DARTH said..

laceys lane said..

I don't.

look we arent allowed to bear arms to protect ourselves in every day society . in exchange for giving that right away they protect us- police

I see it as the same thing. if they won't let us kill troublesome sharks- protect ourselves from sharks, well it becomes their onus.

they should have thought of that in the first place.

sorry gentlemen , that's the way I see it.

if they cant do anything well they need to change law until they can deal with the entire issue.

Macaha
QLD, 21889 posts
11 Nov 2015 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

A cull in that area wouldn't go astray they have been protected for a while now,they need a trimming.
You can't say there is not an issue in this area,I say screw the tree huggers most of them are land locked who
don't get in the ocean .Employ a sharp shooter set him up on the north wall and go nuts for a few months,if
all else fails use some live bait the drug dealing kind. Unfortunately these sharks are taking a liking to the easy human
pray and word has got around.If this offends some too bad your welcome to have your opinion.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
11 Nov 2015 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

boofy said..

DARTH said..

laceys lane said..

I don't.

look we arent allowed to bear arms to protect ourselves in every day society . in exchange for giving that right away they protect us- police

I see it as the same thing. if they won't let us kill troublesome sharks- protect ourselves from sharks, well it becomes their onus.

they should have thought of that in the first place.

sorry gentlemen , that's the way I see it.

if they cant do anything well they need to change law until they can deal with the entire issue.

Good luck with that, the Gov don't really want to know. They are only interested from a tourism point of view. Sad but true

Cobra
9106 posts
12 Nov 2015 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..
What's happened to the WA attacks? Seem to have suddenly stopped after Colin stopped baiting em

see the drums worked

,now I'm sounding like the spin doctor JB.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
12 Nov 2015 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said..
http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2015/11/11/inspecting-last-line-defence

no sure about the feasibility of those eco netting systems myself

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
12 Nov 2015 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

No but better than what they presently have there. It's a trail. Let's see how they go before jumping to conclusions!

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
12 Nov 2015 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
No but better than what they presently have there. It's a trail. Let's see how they go before jumping to conclusions!

jumping to conclusions rules

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
12 Nov 2015 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

A trial would suggest that there must be a measure or some metric uponwhich success or failure is based!

So what's the metric?

I can only think of two, during the period of the trail, someone is either killed or maimed or no one is either killed or maimed!

Good trial

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Northern NSW" started by Macaha