Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Ron's knife project

Created by arkgee > 9 months ago, 8 Mar 2015
wavelength
1195 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Plus another 1!

Like Steve Jobs said..."Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Whoot!

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
22 Mar 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Here we go again !
Looks like you might get the knife wet mid week Ron if the charts stay true.I really hope it flies,flows and squirts all over the place for you and you bury the rail up to the nose - Just saying

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
22 Mar 2015 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LanceF said..

vanders1 said..

here is a diamond in the rough for you V

Cheers mate, looking good.

I think I'll actually get you to supply one of those Fluid Flex fins with it after all, they look good.

Nice "SPOT"

Can't believe you mentioned 'The Spot' LFish, now I'll never get my board...................

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Roy...where in this whole thread did I say I was basing my design on the theory of compressing water..ie venturi principal...you are exactly right in stating it is an enclosed system....it is just like your garden hose...and I don't need you to tell me...so your reply was accurate to the last paragraph...I rode my knife this morning in very sub standard conditions...and for your information it performed very well thankyou....it is very stable and the lift from the blades lets me stand over the top of them enabling me to find the nice fall line of the wave and generate speed...and I'm thinking...more speed...so wipe that egg off your face mate...you are not the design guru you think you are.....oh.....I see your bottom turn....and raise you one

tides dropped and I'm off for test 2...trying bigger fin this time

LanceF
NSW, 249 posts
22 Mar 2015 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Roy lives in his own little world....a very weird world at that

Macaha
QLD, 21882 posts
22 Mar 2015 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

I think it great to have two shapers sharing their skills and passion sweet bottom turn Ron

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
22 Mar 2015 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cobra said..
I'm very interested in this board,,,,im happy just sitting back and injoying this thread,,,

didnt George greenough do something like this in the 70s on kneeboards.
i remember something like that in a tracks mag,, but hey long time ago Now!

you just get back in your basket

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arkgee said..

Hey Roy...where in this whole thread did I say I was basing my design on the theory of compressing water..ie venturi principal

You didn't...and I didn't say that you had.

Read it again.

...you are exactly right in stating it is an enclosed system....it is just like your garden hose...and I don't need you to tell me...

The clarification was necessary since you posted that the Bonzer design is supposed to be a venturi but neglected to mention that it certainly isn't.

so your reply was accurate to the last paragraph...I rode my knife this morning in very sub standard conditions...and for your information it performed very well thankyou....it is very stable and the lift from the blades lets me stand over the top of them enabling me to find the nice fall line of the wave and generate speed...and I'm thinking...more speed...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the ride but suggesting that the design delivers more speed than a board without the runners inot only contradicts the laws of physics but also fails the proof test.

you are not the design guru you think you are

The statement above has no relevant content, were were talking about your design, remember?

.....oh.....I see your bottom turn....and raise you one

Cool.

tides dropped and I'm off for test 2...trying bigger fin this time

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..
I think it great to have two shapers sharing their skills and passion

Cheers Macaha, it's all good as long as people keep their emotions in check as otherwise the discussion can get messy rather than informative.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
22 Mar 2015 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
You speak of physics a lot Roy. R u an engineer or scientist?

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Like I said "here we go again" just can't help himself

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Don't get dragged into it Ron, we're watching and listening with genuine interest mate, keep it up.

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

What you are seeing is a genuine interest in surfboard design... some of us just think about surfboard design more than others... but some seem to prefer a long stream of 'yes' men to people who make pertinent comments.

Obviously it can be tough to have one's creation publicly criticised, I know how it is to be on the receiving end too, but when all's said and done I prefer to have disagreement aired when it comes to my stuff, as long as it doesn't get abusive and personal.

But that's just me, I don't pretend to speak for Ron, who has already taken the personal comment route, indicating that he doesn't like to parley.

It's a public forum however and if the maker doesn't want to receive criticism as well as praise then he's kind of using the wrong format for publicity.

The runners will act as brakes, there's no way around it really, unless they are straightened out, and no ride report from the maker can change that.

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ricardo1709 said..

Of course I can, but why should I?

I have an active mind and an interest in the subject.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Mar 2015 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

Ricardo1709 said..

Of course I can, but why should I?

I have an active mind and an interest in the subject.

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
22 Mar 2015 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..
What you are seeing is a genuine interest in surfboard design... some of us just think about surfboard design more than others... but some seem to prefer a long stream of 'yes' men to people who make pertinent comments.

Obviously it can be tough to have one's creation publicly criticised, I know how it is to be on the receiving end too, but when all's said and done I prefer to have disagreement aired when it comes to my stuff, as long as it doesn't get abusive and personal.

But that's just me, I don't pretend to speak for Ron, who has already taken the personal comment route, indicating that he doesn't like to parley.

It's a public forum however and if the maker doesn't want to receive criticism as well as praise then he's kind of using the wrong format for publicity.

The runners will act as brakes, there's no way around it really, unless they are straightened out, and no ride report from the maker can change that.

I've read plenty of your posts about your designs and also read plenty of criticisms and can't recall you ever acting upon any of the suggestions or criticisms to change the design.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
If I am indeed correct how are you different from Ron but for a Y?

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said..

RoyStuart said..

I've read plenty of your posts about your designs and also read plenty of criticisms and can't recall you ever acting upon any of the suggestions or criticisms to change the design.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said..

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wrong thread, this is Ron's. Ask me on my thread.

Short answer: I welcome criticism, can't speak for Ron... but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

Macaha
QLD, 21882 posts
22 Mar 2015 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Cuttlefish said..

RoyStuart said..

Correct me if I'm wrong.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

chrispy said..

Cuttlefish said..

RoyStuart said..

Correct me if I'm wrong.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Cobra said..

I'm very interested in this board,,,,im happy just sitting back and injoying this thread,,,

didnt George greenough do something like this in the 70s on kneeboards.
i remember something like that in a tracks mag,, but hey long time ago Now!

1972/73 the board at my feet you will notice it has blades...don't know when George did it.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

thats groovy !!!!

thePup
13831 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

I'm loving that hair RG - wicked collection of sticks there too brother blades way different there

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Some nice sticks there, I like the Summercloud one especially... the blades on the board above aren't hooked inwards are they? they look straighter.

Macaha
QLD, 21882 posts
22 Mar 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..
I'm loving that hair RG - wicked collection of sticks there too brother blades way different there

Yeah Pup

surfbroker
NSW, 1488 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Design is about innovation ..Why is a dimpled golf ball flying further than a smooth ball..I would think that dimples would slow it..but not the case.

By the way..It's Summercloud Roy

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
22 Mar 2015 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfbroker said...

Design is about innovation ..Why is a dimpled golf ball flying further than a smooth ball..I would think that dimples would slow it..but not the case.

By the way..It's Summercloud Roy

Laminar vs turbulent flow. Physics. Same reason quad is faster than a thruster.

I reckon RGs board looks awesome. Give us a ride video RG.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

Short answer: I welcome criticism, can't speak for Ron... but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

I have been shaping since 1970 Roy...and have had an active mind when it comes to surf design....anyone who knows me knows I think outside the square....you talk down to people...you are telling me not asking me wether a design will work or not....I don't like it...and let me tell you now...my emotions are in check...you will know when they are not.... I can handle all the criticism you can dish out.... but you can carry on with all the laws of physics that you have learnt from books until the cows come home......my 45 years of shaping together with 54 years of surfing...2 Australian titles...numerous state titles and zone titles.....give me unassailable credentials as far as I am concerned. I have stayed out of your thread because I don't really agree with any of your designs, you are obviously dancing to the beat of a different drummer though, and I respect you for that so if you want to talk about surf design I'm all ears, but be careful of your delivery, in written word your coming across as a real prick. I am not too impressed with where this thread is heading and would kindly ask you give this some thought before you hit the post button...thank you.

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

The personal abuse has been all yours... go back and check.

Your chest thumping notwithstanding (since none of it is relevant) constricting flow by hooking those blades is going to cause extra drag, it doesn't take books to know that though books will obviously confirm it.

By the way I did post that I like your 70's boards and asked a polite question about the shape of the 'blades' on the board in the picture, no need to answer if you don't want to.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arkgee said..

RoyStuart said..

I have been shaping since 1970 Roy...and have had an active mind when it comes to surf design....anyone who knows me knows I think outside the square....you talk down to people...you are telling me not asking me wether a design will work or not....I don't like it...and let me tell you now...my emotions are in check...you will know when they are not.... I can handle all the criticism you can dish out.... but you can carry on with all the laws of physics that you have learnt from books until the cows come home......my 45 years of shaping together with 54 years of surfing...2 Australian titles...numerous state titles and zone titles.....give me unassailable credentials as far as I am concerned. I have stayed out of your thread because I don't really agree with any of your designs, you are obviously dancing to the beat of a different drummer though, and I respect you for that so if you want to talk about surf design I'm all ears, but be careful of your delivery, in written word your coming across as a real prick. I am not too impressed with where this thread is heading and would kindly ask you give this some thought before you hit the post button...thank you.

BOOM

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Ron's knife project" started by arkgee