Forums > Surfing Longboarding

The Good Morning thread

Created by towball > 9 months ago, 20 Jun 2012
GizzieNZ
4102 posts
19 Oct 2016 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

was a Weld Road Taranaki house truck resident for a while.......they got it all fenced off now though

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
19 Oct 2016 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah the crowds are bad here ....6 am.. 2ft and 40 plus in 200 metres of beach on the only decent bank that you find a car park ...

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
19 Oct 2016 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GizzieNZ said..
was a Weld Road Taranaki house truck resident for a while.......they got it all fenced off now though

how many years ago .../

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
19 Oct 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GizzieNZ said..
is almost zero surf here at moment.......have got my sunova 9'5 speed locked away in my hopefully burglar proof room (doors nailed up....padlock on remaining access door)......i live in a dodgy area where almost everyone has a baseball bat......using my PSH 12'6 which can be good in tiny surf

Is that why you wear an impact vest

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Ricardo1709 said..

GizzieNZ said..
is almost zero surf here at moment.......have got my sunova 9'5 speed locked away in my hopefully burglar proof room (doors nailed up....padlock on remaining access door)......i live in a dodgy area where almost everyone has a baseball bat......using my PSH 12'6 which can be good in tiny surf

Is that why you wear an impact vest

if someone comes at you with a baseball bat.......not a completely silly idea to be wearing an impact vest........sometimes tow ball almost chases me along makorori beach trying to steal my waves........I see the stand up zone has a quite extensive thread about conflict and violence and suitable responses to both physical and verbal threats www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30581.0.html

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
21 Oct 2016 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bazz61 said..
Yeah the crowds are bad here ....6 am.. 2ft and 40 plus in 200 metres of beach on the only decent bank that you find a car park ...

that's not good.......Red Bus completely glassy......occasional head high sets coming through at high tide thursday........3 sups out and some clown on a shortboard probably indignant that sups were catching the waves before him. But its a big beach......he had other options.
Six or seven people out at creeks. Maybe 15 people in total.
Winter is best ......its warming up here now. I was too warm in my 3/2 xcel revolt .....and its a dodgy old second hand one with failing seams

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
21 Oct 2016 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hippy Happy Love stuff ?

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
21 Oct 2016 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

but i still think its manly to stick up for your surfing companion

towball
4627 posts
22 Oct 2016 4:14AM
Thumbs Up

You need to stop buying Piss @ pak n save and go back to work ^^^^

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
22 Oct 2016 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towball said..

Work....and surfing always clash ..good on you if you can opt out of the rat race & live simply .My dream .

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towball said..

Too busy working on my Leyland Leopard.........have scrubbed the mould and moss off the outside.........scrubbed and cleaned the inside roof (so glossy and white!!!)........spent $650 on new batteries. Anything could happen!!!

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

and didn't they sing songs back in the day about being a mindless worker drone ?

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
23 Oct 2016 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GizzieNZ said..

Cool Gizzie,love the old bus ,what's the plans for it

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Has problems building up air pressure at moment.......still in the system leagality wise (reg on hold).
They were considered quite simple to work on back in the day.
Might be the low air swich. Maybe towball is a secret expert with heavy machinery experience.
Hard to locate a workshop manual.
A friend who has a leyland half cab says i should take a pic of the air compressor as he has a couple stashed away.
Would be fun to get back on the road.......at 11 metres not a good vehicle to drive up a gravel road if you don't know whether you can turn around at the end though.
If you got no air you got no brakes......no gears.......nothing really

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Diesel dependabilty though........even if hasn't been going for four months.......press the starter and instant motor is going stuff

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Oct 2016 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Pup might be able to help you Gizzie - he has reconditioned a few buses in his time.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
23 Oct 2016 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

ok thank you........towball is probably vaguely talented also.......the person who people with big expensive machinery call for help in isolated forestry predicaments

towball
4627 posts
23 Oct 2016 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GizzieNZ said..

towball said..

Too busy working on my Leyland Leopard.........have scrubbed the mould and moss off the outside.........scrubbed and cleaned the inside roof (so glossy and white!!!)........spent $650 on new batteries. Anything could happen!!!

You silly prick you should have seen me about the batteries And yes I was a 44ton brake certifier still have the certificate on the wall at the workshop

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
25 Oct 2016 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

I am often a silly prick........but no one gives away two super dooper 12 volt batteries with enough grunt to start a Leyland Leopard 11 litre diesel motor for free........you can do it cheap from super cheap autos.........or you can man up and pay a few bucks more for quality.
No free lunches in the world of quality battery purchases ?
So maybe you can help me with my next battery purchases? Want some quality deep cycle batteries one day soonish.
Nothing from super cheap autos .....that's for sure
What are you looking at price wise for deep cycles? Solar panels are dirt cheap.........batteries are the most expensive component in a solar system.
$650 would be at the bottom end of the battery choices for a solar set up?

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
25 Oct 2016 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

I see a lithium 400 amp hour battery for over $4000 on trade mewww.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/other/auction-1188443592.htm

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
25 Oct 2016 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

maybe you can get it for me for $400.......but i think not

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
25 Oct 2016 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Looked at mak today........not very nice. Then at sponge bay and the island.....not big enough. Then at town beach (definitely not big enough)

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
25 Oct 2016 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

GizzieNZ said..
I see a lithium 400 amp hour battery for over $4000 on trade mewww.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/other/auction-1188443592.htm

Whats the warranty on those things? I wanted to go Solar at our place in Indo. The prices freaked me out - almost more than the house !

We thought about taking some batteries in to try and offset the cost but not sure its worth it. The reality is that when I took a laser level in the fellas in customs googled it too see what it was worth then tried to charge me duty. We got it cheap - through a mate - as it was a demo model - but no benefit. In the end we had to pay a "deposit" that we will receive back when we exit with it. Amazing the lengths they went too though. Held up for hours. They knew exactly what they were doing. All official too - no slight of hand like normal Indo Regulations When I left they asked me where it was ! ! ! Told them I would bring it back next time as had too much luggage - they were sweet with that - but amazing that it was all recorded for a change. The new electronic systems at the airport / immigration are great by the look of it. No more mysterious paper trails to deal with - well lets hope. Well they are all good if you are doing nothing wrong - which is the side I fall under

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
26 Oct 2016 5:02AM
Thumbs Up

think towball got deep cycle lithium batteries in his RV.........but technology constantly changing......so in the short term probably best to get more orthodox batteries?

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
26 Oct 2016 5:10AM
Thumbs Up

Four foot at makorori point this morning. I was first at beach.......but john the pom 666 enemy and steve ran along the beach and hit the water before me.
Being 20 years or so older I just walked
Was lowish tide and pretty unpredictable and strong offshore. They caught some waves but I just mostly relaxed until it was light enough to see what was happening. Ended up with 7 or 8 people out......but everyone pretty polite and considerate.......even the pom

SP
10979 posts
26 Oct 2016 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

For Mac...

BOB MCTAVISH: DEDICATED TO THE CRAFT

RideTUESDAY, 25 OCTOBER 2016POSTED BY TVANDENBERG
There are few names in the world of surfing that will last forever, and even fewer who have actually contributed to the progression of the pursuit… Bob McTavish, is certainly one of those names!

Whether you’re an aspiring WSL pro, a weekend warrior or a soul-arching spirit surfer, Bob McTavish has had a massive impact on you and what you’re sliding on… in other words, if you don’t know who Bob McTavish is, please quit surfing… like now!

A ‘Surfing Hall of Fame’ inductee, Bob has been pioneering surfboard design since the early 1960s. His revolutionary vee-bottom design, which many surfboard manufacturers still utilize today. The unique deep vee-shaped keel throughout the bottom third of the board paved the way for not only more progressive surfing, but more innovative longboard designs and perhaps most notably, for what was to become the ‘Shortboard Revolution’ in the mid-1960s. He introduced the first shortboard to the USA at Rincon in 1968. Bob McTavish along with Nat Young, wanted to mimic the way their kneeboarder mate, George Greenough, could ride waves with quick turns in the power pocket of the wave. This was the catalyst that sparked the creation and innovation of modern day surfing.

Macaha
QLD, 21889 posts
26 Oct 2016 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Good morning chaps

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"The Good Morning thread" started by towball