QLD, 515 posts
26 Feb 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

asea said..

thePup said...
anyone check out Burleigh - how did that handle the size

Well you being a local why you ask dryballs?

hahahaha you can get a big fat Mango right up you

^^^^ Why stop at one!!! I see ALDI have em' on special this week

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
26 Feb 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

E T said..
Just heard that a guy is missing at Greenmount.

Hope he gets found safe and well rel quick.

Be careful please people.

ET.

Good call ET but if you didn't have a jetski this afternoon you were nuts,lets hope he is on the long walk back from the wave of his life.

ABC just reported that they found him.

Got washed well down the beach after snapping his leggy.

Good news.

ET.

thePup
13831 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Locky24 said..

thePup said..

asea said..

thePup said...
anyone check out Burleigh - how did that handle the size

Well you being a local why you ask dryballs?

hahahaha you can get a big fat Mango right up you

^^^^ Why stop at one!!! I see ALDI have em' on special this week

hahaha man after my own heart brother

MickPC
8266 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Had a browse through the Queensland cams over brekky this morning. Was surprised to see Noosa was a lot smaller than I expected, but would of been alright further down safely out of sight of the web cams. All the gold coast hot spots were copping big swells with some devil windchop, but outside Kirra loooked like it would have been fun. One place though, "Tallebudgera" had some novelty waves running 1/2 way up the canal to the bridge. Camera panned perfectly to follow a bloke just cruising up the canal on a waist high wave, looked fun

Back here, still not much around...unless you don't mind a bit of windsurfing

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
26 Feb 2016 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Had a browse through the Queensland cams over brekky this morning. Was surprised to see Noosa was a lot smaller than I expected, but would of been alright further down safely out of sight of the web cams. All the gold coast hot spots were copping big swells with some devil windchop, but outside Kirra loooked like it would have been fun. One place though, "Tallebudgera" had some novelty waves running 1/2 way up the canal to the bridge. Camera panned perfectly to follow a bloke just cruising up the canal on a waist high wave, looked fun

Back here, still not much around...unless you don't mind a bit of windsurfing

geez mick thats not a real public thing.

why the hell they put a cam there ill never know

MickPC
8266 posts
26 Feb 2016 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

haha yeah East coast has a lot of cams in funny places. Guess it comes down to being easy to whack one there, plenty of cams in places getting way less to no swell ever too.....I remember seeing some pics in a mag back in the 90's, prob tracks....similar thing. Bloke was solo on a jetski, diving off the jetski with momentum onto these Qld canal waves during a big swell... having fun on his SB. Reminded me of that,. We don't have that kinda set up here...much

So jelous of u farkers atm

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Just watched a 30 k ski get rag dolled throw the line up at Kirra epic

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Looked like it had dropped but just seen some really big sets at kirra.
And a lot of guys having a real crack at it.
One big wave 2 drop ins then a tow drop in followed by another 2 drop ins

There doesnt seem to be any rules

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Just seen the biggest waves at kirra ive ever seen.
Ita a arena atm

firstpoint
QLD, 613 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

we got into noosa at 4pm,no carparks anywhere on the beach, crew walking in from klm's out agro everywhere bodies and boards everywhere,just watched the passing circus,and its not that big,maybe 2 mtrs(headhigh)
elko and his posse called it the swell of the century,turned up with jetskis,must be getting old if the need skis for headhigh

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Just went for a sqizz at Nationals. I decided to heed the warnings and not take on the swell of the decade.
One can get our of their depth quickly in these kinds of monster swells and so I decided discretion was the better part of the valour and left if to the intrepid few pictured to tackle the waist high peelers.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
27 Feb 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

This morning

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
27 Feb 2016 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said...
Ita a arena atm

Pics or it did not happen

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
27 Feb 2016 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

That sucks , total disregard for fellow surfers safety , not cool , photo name and shame facebook.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
27 Feb 2016 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

laceys lane said...
Ita a arena atm

Pics or it did not happen

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
27 Feb 2016 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Had a browse through the Queensland cams over brekky this morning

Great idea - just did this myself. Thanks !

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
27 Feb 2016 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bazz61 said..

laceys lane said..

That sucks , total disregard for fellow surfers safety , not cool , photo name and shame facebook.

well it was the second wave in a set and the biggest I saw. guys out there are keen to get a name or camera tarts.

they are really motivated .

strange because there were waves coming through, some big some smaller . then these things would get march in and get real big and have all the kirra legendry power and look well surreal. backdoor ish but longer obviously

guys were looking like specks at the top before dropping in and they were dropping in

some bloody sh1t hot surfing going down ill add but kirra ended up having her way with them most times

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
27 Feb 2016 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firstpoint said...
we got into noosa at 4pm,no carparks anywhere on the beach, crew walking in from klm's out agro everywhere bodies and boards everywhere,just watched the passing circus,and its not that big,maybe 2 mtrs(headhigh)
elko and his posse called it the swell of the century,turned up with jetskis,must be getting old if the need skis for headhigh

2m = Head High?

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
27 Feb 2016 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Fun head/head and half. Five people.

Took the HP to a HP wave and tore it apart. Then remembered why I don't surf those boards like that anymore. The dodgy ankle is swollen and sore. Came in on my best wave - snap, hack, stall, barrel, cutty, cutty, floater to in.

Just ignore the two previous waves where it was gumby to window winding back splash, and slow take off to fat mushburger closing out.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
27 Feb 2016 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuttlefish said...
Just went for a sqizz at Nationals. I decided to heed the warnings and not take on the swell of the decade.
One can get our of their depth quickly in these kinds of monster swells and so I decided discretion was the better part of the valour and left if to the intrepid few pictured to tackle the waist high peelers.

What blocks the swell getting into Noosa? The reef or refraction from Fraser or whatever is the closest sand island?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
27 Feb 2016 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a good day out Drip. Envious. The highlight of my day was choosing what to eat for lunch ! Loads of Mangoes around for you Pup

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Its not so much blocked in this case.
The swells focus was from the Tweed to Yamba.
By the time the swell has refracted into the inner most points it loses much of its size.
The rivermouth was solid but closing out.
We get better size when we have the swell more from the North as cyclones track South past us.

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Sounds like a good day out Drip. Envious. The highlight of my day was choosing what to eat for lunch ! Loads of Mangoes around for you Pup

That's some good nosh there Ted.
Thai street food is the best.

thePup
13831 posts
27 Feb 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

You are truly blessed mate - that looks great

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
27 Feb 2016 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Yum that looks great Ted!!
Cuttlefish you clearly made the righit decision. Reckon, looks like a fun longboard wave. If you want to tackle big swell there plenty of places you can go to without having to put up with all the Chaos
hope you had a beauty!

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
27 Feb 2016 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Food looks heavenly Ted. Tough choices.

firstpoint
QLD, 613 posts
28 Feb 2016 5:43AM
Thumbs Up

old school drip,i surf the wave face,i am just generalising, the experts called a 5 mtr swell at the start then elko went media and said swell of the decade at 4mtrs plus,the media got onto it the every carnt and his dog came to noosa,well they were wrong and just got to surf with 1000s of their best friends,fly ins,jetskis,sup backpackers,hippies from keniworth,baby chuckers, clubbies its like the goldy on steriods.

firstpoint
QLD, 613 posts
28 Feb 2016 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

swell gets blocked from the south by bribie and straddie etc,there is a close in reef and laguna bay is unusually plugged with sand very shallow,the east swell has been there for weeks but no size.got some groundswell friday and it peaked yesterday arvo but still not 4+ mtrs,the swell bouy at moolooabah had some size i believe,the wind has been s.w. up here for days and that helps push it away,
btw ,DI has been excellent but crowded.
its back to waist high and a bit this morning

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
28 Feb 2016 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firstpoint said..
old school drip,i surf the wave face,i am just generalising, the experts called a 5 mtr swell at the start then elko went media and said swell of the decade at 4mtrs plus,the media got onto it the every carnt and his dog came to noosa,well they were wrong and just got to surf with 1000s of their best friends,fly ins,jetskis,sup backpackers,hippies from keniworth,baby chuckers, clubbies its like the goldy on steriods.

This is about the only time I have been OK with having a buggered shoulder.

The advent of cams, social media, news hype, keeping up with the Jones's, having lots of friends that you must surf with, being seen, looking right,
FARK, FARK, FARK, FARK.

I am over this Crap. News reports talking about Clubbies saying how irresponsible surfers are for not heeding their warnings. Fark me, being irresponsible was a prerequisite for being a surfer when I was a boy.

Oh I feel a bit better now.

Hey Pointman, remember Noosa 1988, 4-8 foot for over two weeks. No more than 30 people out on all the inner points. Those were the days.

ET.

firstpoint
QLD, 613 posts
28 Feb 2016 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
E T said..

firstpoint said..

This is about the only time I have been OK with having a buggered shoulder.

The advent of cams, social media, news hype, keeping up with the Jones's, having lots of friends that you must surf with, being seen, looking right,
FARK, FARK, FARK, FARK.

I am over this Crap. News reports talking about Clubbies saying how irresponsible surfers are for not heeding their warnings. Fark me, being irresponsible was a prerequisite for being a surfer when I was a boy.

Oh I feel a bit better now.

Hey Pointman, remember Noosa 1988, 4-8 foot for over two weeks. No more than 30 people out on all the inner points. Those were the days.

ET.

feel the same et,clubbies are part of the problem here,not the pro lifeguards,since mercer got here the clubbies feel entitled,all 4000 of them,when i got here (march 88) to live there were 16 longboarders and no one out during the week,they all had jobs,few tourists,no backpackers but hey,when you live in paradise.
the 88 swell if i remember was cyclones roger and harry,two or three in a row,the best swell was the year we started the now festival of many people,the first noosa classic was 91 and we had 68 days of point waves,rivermouth was 2xoverhead,almond shaped barrels,waves everywhere on the coast,everyone was surfed out,last day of the classic the swell lasted till the finals then it was gone,ray gleave won the open.
this place was heaven then,now its crowded heaven

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo