Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
McHenry
SA, 1739 posts
20 Apr 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
How did the Nugget go? You a fan?

TBHI couldn't really tell ya as I caught bugger all. But I think it'll be great. Dave Basher is the man to speak to as he has owned a few and surfed them many many times. I am so unfit its embarrassing but family takes priority so my surf time has disappeared for the minute.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Apr 2016 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Understood McHenry - hang in there - surfing will always be there. Family is well more important

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
20 Apr 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing what looks to crap from a distance turns out to be good.
Got some "low tide love" at a local here today.
From the carpark it looked like it was close outs on the outside bank...saw a couple of guys make a reasonable wave, down the beach a bit, so No1 son and I left the l/boards on the roof and went short and hoofed it some 200-300mtr down the beach.
Far out...stoked..was some of the best small wave shore break surfing had for a long time
Low crowd + Warm Water + Sunshine + 3 Ft + Peak Splitting = friggin aaawweeessoommee

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
20 Apr 2016 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
climber said..

From the carpark it looked like it was close outs on the outside bank...saw a couple of guys make a reasonable wave, down the beach a bit, so No1 son and I left the l/boards on the roof and went short and hoofed it some 200-300mtr down the beach.
Far out...stoked..was some of the best small wave shore break surfing had for a long time
Low crowd + Warm Water + Sunshine + 3 Ft + Peak Splitting = friggin aaawweeessoommee

Sounds good and very similar to what I had today. It was a mix of east and south east swell . This is the best time of the year I reckon.

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
20 Apr 2016 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smh said..

climber said..

Sounds good and very similar to what I had today. It was a mix of east and south east swell . This is the best time of the year I reckon.

Yep SMH....love this time year

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
20 Apr 2016 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be doing it all again tomorrow. The weather is looking perfect again but I'm not expecting too much swell. What you 're expecting and what you get can be two different things

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
21 Apr 2016 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smh said..

climber said..

Defintely the best time of the year - autumn basically is everywhere. Its when I have traditionally had my holidays

Glad to see you had a much better surf than the previous session Climber. How colds the water SMH? You using a wettie yet? I have not ventured near water since I have been back but can fell the urge approaching. Seems people in Sydney wearing a variety of diff rubber instruments - from boardies / rashie combo to full on steamers.

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
21 Apr 2016 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Ted...yes far better surf :)
Don't know if it helps but the water temp here is full on ..... boards and rash shirt only..wore a spring suit 2mm yesterday as i though the water may have cooled with a slight swell direction change ..nup....was super warm to hot in the suit.

SP
10979 posts
21 Apr 2016 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McHenry said...
Ted the Kiwi said...
How did the Nugget go? You a fan?

TBHI couldn't really tell ya as I caught bugger all. But I think it'll be great. Dave Basher is the man to speak to as he has owned a few and surfed them many many times. I am so unfit its embarrassing but family takes priority so my surf time has disappeared for the minute.

Know what you mean mate, this parenting thing takes up a lot of time..

But geez it's good fun..

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
21 Apr 2016 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

smh said..

climber said..

Defintely the best time of the year - autumn basically is everywhere. Its when I have traditionally had my holidays

Glad to see you had a much better surf than the previous session Climber. How colds the water SMH? You using a wettie yet? I have not ventured near water since I have been back but can fell the urge approaching. Seems people in Sydney wearing a variety of diff rubber instruments - from boardies / rashie combo to full on steamers.

I'm still in boardies and rash vest Ted.

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
21 Apr 2016 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Had some little waves at rainbow this morning, getting better as the tide goes out and the mood out there was mellow which made for an enjoyable surf

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
21 Apr 2016 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

smaller waves today..nothing special ..but fark the water is warm.. add the sunshine and I got out after an hour absolutely hanging for some water to drink ..

MickPC
8266 posts
21 Apr 2016 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

MickPC said..

Oh mids 1, I had a feeling you might have been talking about there. That place is about 9th on my favourite Bali wave list mate & only coz its so consistent, handles all tides & easy to reach from the area I like to stay during dry season. Apart from airport rights, most of my favourite waves are on the East coast.

Yeah I know your fav is the other one but you would have enjoyed it that day - if the crowds had been less - I know I would have I am also a fan of your other ones

Can get busy out there, can never really predict the crowds hey...if it is a bit busy, I sit in that place the first time we surfed there together. Have to duckdive the sets & medium size ones when they come through. Trick is to just keep catching waves so your paddling back out on the shoulder, not copping them on the head. A lot of the time the smaller ones racing across the inside reef have much better shape than the ones everyone is chasing on the back or middle bubble & you will have it to yourself

MickPC
8266 posts
21 Apr 2016 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Some great waves this morning, bit slow at first but got very consistent once the tide started kicking. Think tomorrow is the day, but unfortunately I start work too early to get down for it. Oh well, good to see the summer swell has ended. Should be good up until chrissy now

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
21 Apr 2016 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

I've dipped out today My foot is killing me. Looks like a heel spur so will have to get it x rayed and maybe a cortisone shot then I'll be back in business.

Al G
NSW, 7663 posts
21 Apr 2016 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smh said..
I've dipped out today My foot is killing me. Looks like a heel spur so will have to get it x rayed and maybe a cortisone shot then I'll be back in business.

Just get the angle grinder out of ya shed smh,grind em off I know how it is mate I've got them on my elbows

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
21 Apr 2016 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Afternoon wave, same place different crowd. Still fun little ones, haven't surfed twice in a day since I was a kid.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
21 Apr 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al G said..

smh said..

Just get the angle grinder out of ya shed smh,grind em off I know how it is mate I've got them on my elbows

I wish it was that simple Al . I put some ice on it today and it settled down a bit. Should be right to surf tomorrow.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
21 Apr 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adapt said..
Afternoon wave, same place different crowd. Still fun little ones, haven't surfed twice in a day since I was a kid.

It's like that here. The morning crowd are different faces to the afternoon crowd. I find from around 11 am on to be a good time.

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
21 Apr 2016 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smh said...
Adapt said..

It's like that here. The morning crowd are different faces to the afternoon crowd. I find from around 11 am on to be a good time.

On the weekend, I try to go later in the day to miss the morning rush, as long as the wind is right. The surf is always so much better if the people in the line up are out to have fun.

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
21 Apr 2016 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Just under two weeks till i get to have another surf and watching the week ahead at home and its going to be smoking!!!!
At least the Mrs and Kids will get a few.
Hope you guys keep making the most of it, love to see some more pics to keep me sane

Cobra
9106 posts
21 Apr 2016 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

The foot still playing up, got a wave off a point today very small too small really, had the McT log out , I got a dozen waves and missed as many , I got wet and that's the main thing, I will leave it till Saturday now, rest the foot ready for the swell change sat/sun.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
22 Apr 2016 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Smh - hope the foot heals soon. I have been back in Oz 4 days now and still not made it to the beach. Jeepers I am over working ! Long weekend so probably little chance of me seeing any wave activity. Not even checked the maps - too much other stuff to do sadly. Can not complain though as had lots of high quality waves the weeks before

MickPC
8266 posts
22 Apr 2016 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah not really feeling sorry for ya Ted

Good to hear ya still managed to get a few Cobra, must be on the mend & hope yours comes good soon too smh

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
22 Apr 2016 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Declined an invite from the ex member this morning.

thePup
13831 posts
22 Apr 2016 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

Geez I might have to bash him

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
22 Apr 2016 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

you were embarrassed about your fins?

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
22 Apr 2016 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

Macaha said..

you were embarrassed about your fins?

Pup slap him good please and Ted it wasn't me who did that epic fin review

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
22 Apr 2016 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said...
Hope it is big enough to give it a run.
look forward to hearing how it goes

It wasn't big enough the other day, but it was today. It really was designed as a Yallingup gun and today there were waves cracking on the outside North peak. Completely unexpected because of the swell size but some 18-20 faces coming in.

The board paddled really well and got me in early enough. It came off the bottom really really well when I pushed it on rail hard - sort of like a purring V8 that cruises until pushed. Up high for high line speed runs - which is what the longboard wasn't doing too well - it connected sections well and never fell out of the face. In the sucky bits it dropped out of the lip in a controlled way (I didn't mean for that to happen, but pulled really high to avoid people and was there a bit longer than intended so the wave started to break).

On the face - and Yals gets smaller as it goes down the line - it felt stiffer than I expected, but still weaved enough to avoid the crowd down for the long weekend.

I fluffed one take off on a solid one when I spun late and took a few strokes. Without the momentum I didn't get down and going properly and caught some nose rail at the bottom as the wave threw. It's a board for stroking into waves not taking off late. I was absolutely competitive with the Longboarders sitting on the outside peak and it went better than my longboard in medium Yals.

Now for some solid waves...

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
22 Apr 2016 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Oh it's been cracking here for the last two weeks too.

Shame my holidays finish in four days. Back to being a weekend warrior I suspect.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo