Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
smicko
WA, 2503 posts
13 Jul 2015 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Yup. Wasn't too foul. Forgot about JBay. Cheers....

katana
WA, 644 posts
14 Jul 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

shared perfect shoulder high wedges with the my grom afterwork at seals 8/10

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
14 Jul 2015 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^
Never heard of seals? Weird how breaks may have up to 3 or 4 names depending on age bracket of the namer or other factors?

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
14 Jul 2015 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andy T said..
^^^^^
Never heard of seals? Weird how breaks may have up to 3 or 4 names depending on age bracket of the namer or other factors?

Yeah - I am 4-5yrs older than a mate who also surfs - he calls a North Beach reefie Gravis - whereas I know it as Grabbers... which I suspect may have been a mis-head and often repeated version of Gravis.

katana
WA, 644 posts
15 Jul 2015 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andy T said..
^^^^^

didn't want to give to much away some crew just call it the island

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
15 Jul 2015 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Exactly, multiple names for same place...
anyway I had great surf today in Perth at whistlers, then up at lemon gully...

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
15 Jul 2015 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

For forum purposes should just name regions surfed. Eg metro, down south, way down south. Mid north coast etc

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
15 Jul 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

What? No GPS coordinates?

mocha1
WA, 932 posts
17 Jul 2015 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Great fun at local opposite a famous kebab joint this arvo...little pulse in swell drop in wind and only a few punters picked up on it. Beach break waves knee to chest with the odd freak and surprisingly for the venue great shape...then a coupla froffies after...bobs ya mothers brother????????

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
17 Jul 2015 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
Metro Perth

mocha1
WA, 932 posts
18 Jul 2015 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Spot x delivered today-off shore closeouts and backwash punctuated by some very good beachie waves-very happy and now the Eagz are top of the ladder-for a cupla hours anyway???? now time for Clarkson Hammond and May to deliver some car driven entertainment just need the Mrs to be compliant and great day will be finished off

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
18 Jul 2015 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

A few fun waves at my local this arvo. But sand is building up again and back wash, plus a bit of North wind made it very bumpy.. But the water temp shut down my feet and hands to a point i couldn't feel my feet and called it a day.. Managed a hand full of waves though and with normally only one other out so can't complain

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
22 Jul 2015 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

It's a ghost town in here... I hope that means everyone is too shattered from time in the water.... Actually, I really hope it means that the Fanning vs GWS punch-up has kept everyone out of the water.

I've been working, for anyone who may care to care.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
22 Jul 2015 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

That's 'cause it's an unremarkable winter. One storm, that's it. No banks. That (fairly epic) stuff that was happening when we crossed paths isn't really happening any more. Lots of straight sand and deep water everywhere. Almost August and winter's yet to start.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
22 Jul 2015 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
Agree 100%... below average IMHO.

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
23 Jul 2015 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Feels like winter in the water...bbrrr

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
23 Jul 2015 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah surfed the last two days...yesterday was particularly cold in the water.

Might have to upgrade from the 2mm springy

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
23 Jul 2015 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..
Yeah surfed the last two days...yesterday was particularly cold in the water.

Might have to upgrade from the 2mm springy

My god Suba, theres a few guys at my local who have been wearing 4/3 wetsuits. After Saturday i got up in the roof and dug out the booties.. Still thinking about buying some gloves also

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
23 Jul 2015 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

That's good JB, now I don't feel such a pansy with my 4/3, boots, gloves and yesterday hood!

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
23 Jul 2015 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

In here Trevor, just follow this post mate

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
23 Jul 2015 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Had another surf today...all my diving gear for work was in my boot so I grabbed a set of booties. First time I've ever surfed with booties, Indo included. Hated it...but that might be because they're diving booties.In need of a new board desperately. Think I'm just gonna go second hand for this winter and get something made at the end of the year. Seen one that has the right dimensions for me and has carbon rails (fibreflex)...any opinions on this? Heard mixed reviews on carbon rail boards.

agnak
311 posts
23 Jul 2015 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

booties? waters been heaps warmer than the land, the hood maybe, offshore winds a bit cool early.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
23 Jul 2015 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

So suba, you wore a 2mm springy ... and dive booties?

MickPC
8266 posts
23 Jul 2015 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..
Had another surf today...all my diving gear for work was in my boot so I grabbed a set of booties. First time I've ever surfed with booties, Indo included. Hated it...but that might be because they're diving booties.In need of a new board desperately. Think I'm just gonna go second hand for this winter and get something made at the end of the year. Seen one that has the right dimensions for me and has carbon rails (fibreflex)...any opinions on this? Heard mixed reviews on carbon rail boards.

Love my 2mm quicky booties, I wear them all year round now unless I'm surfing a beachie. Just so grippy, I love it...Bought a 6'2 HS psychedelic germ 2nd hand which is a 31L FF. It doesn't like chop in over head, not that a lot of boards do. Feels great in good waves, like most boards do

Best bet is to grab the board if the dims look right & get your own opinion. Just bear in mind you can go lower volume like you would have heard. Personally I like 35L PU & 31 epoxy...I'd describe FF as strong, but brittle. Surfed mine in double overhead plus waves & been in some bad places to be & NP. Accidently tripped on reef while holding the rail, fell/leaned on the rail in 15cm water & fractured it. Which really stands out on a black rail. But I just solarezed it & its been fine. Had it for about 14 months now & its still in pretty good nick. But hey, so much more to a board than just its construction. Difficult to comment unless you've had the same shape in diff consctructs.

What is the board dims/model

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
23 Jul 2015 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
agnak said..
booties? waters been heaps warmer than the land, the hood maybe, offshore winds a bit cool early.

I broke my toe years back and am finding the cold is really starting to turn that foot to a point were i struggle stand on it. Especially going right as leaning into the wave, my toes are doing more work. Thought id give them another go, but I'm also not a big fan of booties, but sometimes beggars can't be choses..

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
23 Jul 2015 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..
So suba, you wore a 2mm springy ... and dive booties?

Dive booties would suck

agnak
311 posts
23 Jul 2015 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

agnak said..

I broke my toe years back and am finding the cold is really starting to turn that foot to a point were i struggle stand on it. Especially going right as leaning into the wave, my toes are doing more work. Thought id give them another go, but I'm also not a big fan of booties, but sometimes beggars can't be choses..

they good to wear on deck (ali)

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
23 Jul 2015 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

You definitely get used to booties if you persevere. Every year for years I would start wearing booties a month before I headed up north. After a few weeks they become completely normalised. Then I had much more confidence walking on the Coral. I stopped that a few years ago though.

Having said that, I urchined pretty badly two weeks ago. I can't help but think...

Can't say I noticed much difference in warmth though.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
23 Jul 2015 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Sometimes I wear a pair of thongs and then stick them down the back of my wetsuit once I'm out the back in situations like that. On the way in, stop first, put them on, go in.

remarc
WA, 78 posts
23 Jul 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed Surfbeach this morning. After nearly a month in Indo froze me titties off. Good to see still no banks. Big arse whale sitting right behind the break, so near you could clock it with a rock. Not that I would do that :). Don't know if it's crook or something but made for a bit of an uneasy feeling in the water.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie