Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
13 May 2019 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

We've had some dream afternoons. Fridays smoke made for some great shots.

Razzonater
2224 posts
13 May 2019 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Wifi terrible
double head
Than a little bit more
than head n half today
I'm wrecked
four days left
photos later

MickPC
8266 posts
14 May 2019 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Great shotz JB, can't wait to see your Razz

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
14 May 2019 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Smoking photos JB.......boom boom

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
14 May 2019 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IFocus said..
Smoking photos JB.......boom boom

Thanks, but i should make it clear their not mine, but it was a classic arvo with the sun set for sure..

Razzonater
2224 posts
14 May 2019 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

mocha1
WA, 932 posts
19 May 2019 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Took a trip with a fellow Breezer....no one else did!!!!!
got it empty for 2 1/2 hours except for a couple of dolphins whose "heavy local" drop in attitude had us hooting.
Huey Thankyou very much

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
19 May 2019 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet

Razzonater
2224 posts
19 May 2019 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Got home last night, pretty magic waves for the whole trip, couple big days at the point and sultans, a lot bigger than expected for Maldives.....

will put put up a proper post this week but a little slice below.....

Below session at pasta was mental

Above pic is pasta point,
There were two sessions at sultans which were about 1.5 to twice as large as picture above which can only be described as heavy and a barrel fest...

This was my third trip here and whilst I had surfed sultans ( the right across the channel) what I originally thought was phenomenal I had no idea what sort of wave it was at 3 or 4 over head.......
got a few lineup shots from the boat of sultans will put some more up over next few days.

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
19 May 2019 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Good one Razz looking forward to more pics

JulianRoss
WA, 542 posts
20 May 2019 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Razz, is there a resort on Sultans?, there was talk a couple of years back.

MickPC
8266 posts
20 May 2019 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like an epic trip Razz, some fun waves to some serious size. What was your quiver Looks like you had a 5'10 Vanguard for the fun days

Razzonater
2224 posts
20 May 2019 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hectic hectic day,,,,,,

The resort on sultans didn't ever get built, there was a two year window to start construction which didn't eventuate, there is however around three/four charter boats through the central atolls so crowds have increased a bit, there is a cheapish option of a home stay on jails island which holds around ten people, pretty rudimentary accomodation and all breaks require boat transfer but it seems a bit cheaper and obviously has attracted a few more humans to the area..

The quiver of boards was,,
trusty vanguard ( my security blanket) 5,10
hihp tolhurst 9,1 (phenomenal mal which is generally a requirement on these trips however was only ridden two maybe three times in two weeks)

I don't normally go into a huge rant about the third board as it takes around six weeks to get one as it is,when the order goes in because of the craftsmanship and proper glass job the fella is always busy.... he is an unsung hero and underground legend and a damn fine board builder,,,, that man is Chris McKenzie at Oceanline, the board ridden is a 6,6 custom based loosely around his dugong shape. It is Excalibur and when I hold it, it starts to glow with cosmic energy, it does turns in the pocket on waves in heavy sections and allows rail to rail transfers to be smooth and fluid. It is a board to be ridden in serious waves and really lights up at size... it's a 6,6 that paddles into waves that most 7 footers would struggle with and the rocker although drastic is not too radical,, in our lives we may own one or two magic boards and this fella has shaped me at least three that sit in the realm of magic.
If you ever feel that your off the rack board or boards your riding are not quite to suit you Chris at oceanline is the man too see........
Ive ridden many many 6,6 boards and this one is a special one.
By doing the right thing and supporting the local guy the return on that investment has been four fold on what I have ever had on an off the rack board..
A FireWire with a set of fins and tail pad will set you back 1200 which although I do like and ride them is mass produced and made by a teenager in a factory.....
Or alternatively you can see a guy who lives and breathes the craft and get a piece of art and
you can walk out with a custom or standard model for a fair whack less than that or just a little cheaper if you get glassed on fins,,,,,

So I suppose in summary Oceanline makes magic boards and if you don't have one in your quiver you should.

Ill put up pics when I can tomorrow next day

MickPC
8266 posts
22 May 2019 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Wow rounded the quiver out with a Tolly, got all bases covered there m8. No off days for you...I've got a 9'1 Tolly for the small days too, billy makes great boards

MickPC
8266 posts
22 May 2019 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Smaller than expected this morning but big enough to get an idea on how my DHD ducks nutz goes in decent waves. Thought I might have been dreaming riding such a low volumed HP board. Decent waves & a diff set of fins has it probably finding a place in my triple boardbag for an upcoming trip, really enjoyed riding it today

Razzonater
2224 posts
23 May 2019 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Alright without further ado here are some pics to get you through.....

If you stop smoking right now a year will pass and you can afford to go there now...
If you stop drinking whatever the time twelve months will pass and you will be fine.......
Quit all the bad **** you pour money into and barrels aplenty you will lock right into...

Last time we went was four years ago, I asked wifey to marry me there so back we did go.. ( same time of year within four days)

All pics of the right are taken on the same day, started out double maybe triple head and over three hours as the tide started running dropped to head head/half. The pictures do not give it credit for how long it wraps and how perfect the inside bowl is.
Generally we would surf here early early prior to the sun arriving which would also signal one to three charter boats turning up.
Whilst i love pasta point with all my heart it is my soul that desires forehand waves and this is a magic place, throughout the day you can zip over and actually monitor the crowds and boats from pasta. we would see a window many times through our trip and even managed to score it twice with just three of us out at head height plus. no cameras at all trading barrels for several hours, i had my ripcurl watch and the data i clocked throughout the trip was equivalent to 3-6 months of surfing back home if you surfed a few times a week.
People say the maldives is soft absolute rubbish

oz surf
WA, 407 posts
23 May 2019 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Great photos and report Razz.
Looks like you had that lefthander wired

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
23 May 2019 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Score! Thanks for the visuals.

Razzonater
2224 posts
24 May 2019 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hey fellas best believe I still got a few good pumpings as well,,, I think those pics must of been deleted,,, haha

I took me young fella to trigg on Wednesday for a walk and coffee whilst I didn't go out it was nice to see a few banks from trigg to scarbs

it is however a frozen wonderland over here at current

MickPC
8266 posts
24 May 2019 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Ya just been too spoilt m8, I wore a springy this morning. Waters still warm as

Absolute genius proposing at a sick surf spot, young fellas should take note of this. Damn fine excuse to make return visits coz the place has that special memory. I proposed to my missus on Lancelin Back Beach 20 years ago, havn't been back since or ever planning too lol

Cheers for the pics

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
25 May 2019 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

A run up the coast proved to be worthwhile this morning.
Good times!

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
26 May 2019 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
And a few more today for the keen and desperate...

See you crew in late November - I'll be the useless kook missing more waves than I catch and falling off the ones that I do after six months out of the water - I'm going in for a shoulder recon in two weeks. Enjoy your winter swells!

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
26 May 2019 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Good luck GPA, your loss is sure to be our gain.

But you've still got 2 weeks to froth on!

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
26 May 2019 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Buster...

I can't manage mid week... and Mrs and I are heading up to Broome on Saturday for a week - might get a little waist high warm water wave up there on Cable Beach but doubtful. Still, there are worse places to be! Back Sunday 9th - sliced & diced Monday 10th

Zuke
901 posts
26 May 2019 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

See you crew in late November - I'll be the useless kook missing more waves than I catch and falling off the ones that I do after six months out of the water - I'm going in for a shoulder recon in two weeks. Enjoy your winter swells!

Appreciate the sacrifice GPA. Huey is going to turn it on this winter for sure! Good luck with the surgery and hopefully in six months you'll be pain free and paddling like a grom again.

Razzonater
2224 posts
27 May 2019 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck with your recovery GPA and when your back in the water any set wave is yours.

MickPC
8266 posts
27 May 2019 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Surfed with a bloke Saturday who had the OP last year, all the best m8 & hope ya do score a few in Broom beforehand.

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
27 May 2019 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Razz great picts / report genus doing the proposal in the Maldives your next level.

GPA hope the op goes well and a speedy recovery goes with out saying but do exactly what the recovery program is mate muss stuff two shoulder ops by doing to much after op.

I had a detached retina op last week so I am out for at least 8 weeks...................back to being a grump old man for a while.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
31 May 2019 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Saturday

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
31 May 2019 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..
Saturday