Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing

Created by CoreAS > 9 months ago, 5 Oct 2019
thedoor
2278 posts
1 Feb 2020 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
Here's my take on why the i99 works so well on the Wizard board despite Wyatt Miller stating in his foil wing video that it would only work on boards with a foil mast track located on the bottom of the board -- he forgot about adjusting the sail's mast in its mast track on the deck of the board. Moving the sail's mast back in its track on the deck of the board by three inches, for example, should give similar results to moving the foil's mast forward by three inches in a track located on the bottom of the board.

In CoreAs's video it appears that he has placed the sail's mast at the very back of the mast track on the deck, which, I would think, would provide approximately the same lift from the foil as if he had been able to move the foil's wing further forward via a foil mast track located on the bottom of the board (while leaving the sail's mast in the middle of the deck's mast track, which is where I normally leave it when I foil).

My guess is that if you have a track on the bottom of your board you can adjust lift by moving the foil's wing forward or aft in that track while leaving the mast of your sail in one position in its track located on the deck, or if you only have a Tuttle box, you can adjust the position of your sail's mast in the deck's mast track to approximate the lift you would have obtained by moving the location of the foil's wing using the mast track on the bottom of the board (assuming you have one).

i agree.

For me, without moving straps the 99 needs the following adjustments relative to the 76: foil one inch forward in the track and mast track 3 inches back

CoreAS
891 posts
1 Feb 2020 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
Here's my take on why the i99 works so well on the Wizard board despite Wyatt Miller stating in his foil wing video that it would only work on boards with a foil mast track located on the bottom of the board -- he forgot about adjusting the sail's mast in its mast track on the deck of the board. Moving the sail's mast back in its track on the deck of the board by three inches, for example, should give similar results to moving the foil's mast forward by three inches in a track located on the bottom of the board.

In CoreAs's video it appears that he has placed the sail's mast at the very back of the mast track on the deck, which, I would think, would provide approximately the same lift from the foil as if he had been able to move the foil's wing further forward via a foil mast track located on the bottom of the board (while leaving the sail's mast in the middle of the deck's mast track, which is where I normally leave it when I foil).

My guess is that if you have a track on the bottom of your board you can adjust lift by moving the foil's wing forward or aft in that track while leaving the mast of your sail in one position in its track located on the deck, or if you only have a Tuttle box, you can adjust the position of your sail's mast in the deck's mast track to approximate the lift you would have obtained by moving the location of the foil's wing using the mast track on the bottom of the board (assuming you have one).

Yes mast base position can be critical to foil performance and every fraction can make a difference, but I also think mast base location depends on rider set up.

(I am 178cm/5' 10") When setting up any new foil on any board, I measure around 42" from center of first bolt hole to center of UJ as a starting point and work from there, however another local rider that is much taller than me (higher boom height) sets his around 44" or 111.76cm and he uses Horue boards.

On the 125 Wizard, I have measured it at 42 1/4" or 107.31cm from center of bolt hole to center of UJ, and I have that set for all wings (99,84,76,68) I use position B on all of them.

The only change I might make is using position C with the 84/48 rear combo. That brings the 84 wing a touch more forward.

dejavu
822 posts
1 Feb 2020 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a video of Wyatt Miller talking about how to move the centre of lift so one can either get on foil or avoid breaching.

I've found that when I'm on the i76 wing and the wind comes up and I'm overpowered I can get back to shore in one piece if I get out of the foot straps and place my front foot in front of the front foot strap thus allowing me to get more weight forward to keep the foil from constantly breaching. Once back on shore I would rig a smaller sail but perhaps in some instances I could just move the mast forward in the mast track on the deck of the board instead thus saving time and effort by avoiding re-rigging or changing the wing.

My old Mistral windsurf boards had a foot adjustable sliding mast track, which would allow one to adjust the position of the mast while sailing. Something like that could be useful for foiling.

No doubt as I progresses, foiling technique will help but for now when there are big changes in wind strength I need to respond by making changes first to the set up (position of the mast track) and then to wing and sail sizing.

thedoor
2278 posts
2 Feb 2020 2:16AM
Thumbs Up

@pad

On my wizard I felt the same need to move the back foot forward when overpowered to prevent over foiling. On my FS115 I don't need to do that. I can just weight my front foot more to pushed the foil down. I think this is because the mast track is much close to the foil mast on the FS115, so a weighted front foot has more leverage over the foil (?). Or because the inboard straps allow my to put much more pressure on the front foot than I would on my wizard.

dejavu
822 posts
2 Feb 2020 2:40AM
Thumbs Up

thedoor -- Maybe you should start a thread about the differences between the Wizard and your FS115.

I would like to know what the pluses and minuses are between the two since I'm considering purchasing a FS115 or maybe the FS87.

Any idea what the biggest sail the FS115 can comfortably carry?

thedoor
2278 posts
2 Feb 2020 3:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
thedoor -- Maybe you should start a thread about the differences between the Wizard and your FS115.

I would like to know what the pluses and minuses are between the two since I'm considering purchasing a FS115 or maybe the FS87.

Any idea what the biggest sail the FS115 can comfortably carry?

Yeah maybe I can summarise my experience on the differences between the two. The biggest sail I have used on the 115 is a 5.7 but it could probably more

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
2 Feb 2020 3:55AM
Thumbs Up

Well there's a huge difference between moving your foil and moving your sail. If you are upright, carving through a jibe or downwinding swell with your sail open there's really only the sails weight on the mastfoot, going fullpowered 2 feet in the straps upwind there's loads of weight on the mastfoot. Weight on the foil doesnt change according to what directuon you are going, how fast you are going, how powered up you are, so moving it is less dependent on what you are doing. Just saying.

I dont really move my sail independent of my straps. I have a set distance between my mastfoot and footstraps per sail (for 9.0 its further away than for 3.0), and change both together if I switch foils. If i switch from my freeride to my racefoil underneath my freeride board for example, both my mastfoot and straps go 15cm forward. (Which is about the difference in fuselage in front of the mast)

Plus, Wyatt is one of the best windfoilers in the world, first thing you do is set your mastbase, don't think he plain forgot to change his mastbase position during all of the prototype phase.

A lot of things can work for different people, if it didnt work for him its most probably because he requires his gear to do something different or wants it to feel different during sailing (having the power further forward, being faster, maybe his technique is good enough he doesnt really fly earlier with the i99 compared to the i84, so he only has the drawbacks, etcetc.) and his technique might be very different from someone who likes the in the standard deeptuttle i99 alot! Doesnt mean it cant work for you tho. Just dont think it is optimal for someone of his level if the designer (who is one of the best windfoilers in the world and) who meticulously tested the wing for probably more than a year says its not optimal.

Foilnut
174 posts
2 Feb 2020 5:57AM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone using the i99 and a 2019 Wizard 125?

segler
WA, 1621 posts
2 Feb 2020 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Wyatt talks about setting the mast track at about 42" in front of the front screw, then adjusting from there. The nice thing is being also able to move the footstraps fore and aft, and, or course, moving the front wing fore and aft underneath.

With a tuttle box and foil that has no wing position adjustability, you are stuck with adjusting only footstraps and/or mast track. If your footstraps are in a fixed position (like most formula boards), all ya got left is the mast track.

The 42" starting point is very popular for freeride foiling. See my old youtube here about balancing:

excav8ter
538 posts
2 Feb 2020 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
Nice video of super low wind foiling. As noted by others, this large wing seems to work exceptionally well with boards with a Tuttle box (no track required), which is encouraging for those with a board which only has a Tuttle box.

All I can say is Wow -- I'd need my formula board with a large fin and a massive sail to have any chance of planning in these conditions and it would be hit and miss -- mostly miss. I would have to catch a gust to have any chance.

Do you have to tape your thumbs to get going in these light winds?

Back in September when I used the i99 under my Fanatic Falcon light wind, I used an 8.0 Ezzy Cheetah and was really surprised at how well it went. I put the foil mast in position "C" and went out. I spent about 2 hours in 8-10mph breezes, with and occasional gust to about 14mph at the most. The board/foil combination seemed to work really well. The biggest thing I noticed is that the board felt like it stuck to the water. I picked up a Slingshot Levitator 160 a week later and I was definitely quicker to get going, and on accidental touchdowns it I felt like it would slip across the water vs. the Falcon which felt like it stuck to the water a bit. But once flying, the Falcon was a ton of fun, and I'm sure I'll use it again this year.

thedoor
2278 posts
2 Feb 2020 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foilnut said..
Is anyone using the i99 and a 2019 Wizard 125?

Core AC does I believe

excav8ter
538 posts
3 Feb 2020 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Is there a chart or something that shows the approximate speed ranges of the different Slingshot foil wings?

CAN17
575 posts
3 Feb 2020 3:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..
Is there a chart or something that shows the approximate speed ranges of the different Slingshot foil wings?

There is www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Foiling/Slingshot-76cm-Infinity?page=2 (not sure about the new wings though) but its probably a rough guideline as it's very dependant on skill level, conditions, experience and what type of foiling your looking for.
There are a lot of good foilers on here that have used various slingshot wings in different conditions with different rider weights and could probably give you a better guideline then any standard slingshot chart would.

Not sure why the link from this seabreeze topic isn't working but search slingshot 76 infinity in the kitefoiling forum for the full chart.

michaelpaf
92 posts
4 Feb 2020 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..
Is anyone using the i99 in wind speeds above 20mph?

Same question from my side .... :-)

Also short information regarding the 71cm fuselage....Shame on me. When I measured up last time I have not dismounted the front wing...but never guessed that there are still 7 cm additional inside.
Today I dismounted the front Wing and voila....78 cm.....so big sorry for this confusion...but great news for me and my 99 Wing..so the set up should be able to work.

From the last great posts I learned to start at 106cm from the front dtb screw.
For the i99 ti seems to put the mast completely back.
Where do you mount the straps?

Dean in your video it seems the straps are mounted at the most front postiion?
What is the lenght of your wizard 125?

I had again a look to the advantage of the 48 rear wing.....If I have understood it right. Stall speed is a bit lower and some people prefer the 48 more and some the 42. So it would be enough only to switch the front wing from i76 to i99 and enjoy the earlier lift of rount 2 knots less?

Is this corect summarized? Or have I missed some essentiel experiences?

(Setup 125 Wiazrd / 90 KG / 5,6 hybrid or 6,9 gun beat to be tested)

thedoor
2278 posts
5 Feb 2020 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
michaelpaf said..

excav8ter said..
Is anyone using the i99 in wind speeds above 20mph?

Same question from my side .... :-)

Also short information regarding the 71cm fuselage....Shame on me. When I measured up last time I have not dismounted the front wing...but never guessed that there are still 7 cm additional inside.
Today I dismounted the front Wing and voila....78 cm.....so big sorry for this confusion...but great news for me and my 99 Wing..so the set up should be able to work.

From the last great posts I learned to start at 106cm from the front dtb screw.
For the i99 ti seems to put the mast completely back.
Where do you mount the straps?

Dean in your video it seems the straps are mounted at the most front postiion?
What is the lenght of your wizard 125?

I had again a look to the advantage of the 48 rear wing.....If I have understood it right. Stall speed is a bit lower and some people prefer the 48 more and some the 42. So it would be enough only to switch the front wing from i76 to i99 and enjoy the earlier lift of rount 2 knots less?

Is this corect summarized? Or have I missed some essentiel experiences?

(Setup 125 Wiazrd / 90 KG / 5,6 hybrid or 6,9 gun beat to be tested)

I think that is correct, but I definitely needed to flip the fuse do that there 99 is in the most forward position relative to how I have the 76cm.

I believe core rides his 99 on his wizard in the back position, which I don't I think I would be able to work without moving both my straps way back.

Foilnut
174 posts
5 Feb 2020 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

So i did some searching on the web to try and compare the 2018 and 2019/20 SS Wizard. This is my summary although for 2018 I had to use other than SS so disclaimer that there may be some errors. The pictures are roughly scaled. Looks like the 2018 did not have the cutouts and had the mast track back more. I'm not sure about thickness or where those measurements were taken. I believe that CoreAS has the 2018 model. The 2018 seems to have more volume up front.

So not sure if anyone has used the i99 on a 2019/20 wizard 125?

As well there was a thread on the iwindsurf forum where Kevin Kan had some comments.

"
2018 were blue and green. built really solid and have a funky fin box style mast track with a center slot of the tab. did not come with footstraps

2019 are the current color way. about 2-3lbs lighter than 2018. also the rear footstrap plugs are moved forward an inch or two, and the mast track is a regular mast track that you'd get in any normal windsurf board. also these boards come with footstraps

2020 is the same shape. one difference is the vent screw which is now a phillips metal screw like a Cobra-made board instead of the big plastic slot screw that was in the 18's and 19's."

motogon
182 posts
5 Feb 2020 3:27AM
Thumbs Up

On left side numbers are wrong. This is number for Wizard 150 not 125.

CAN17
575 posts
5 Feb 2020 4:40AM
Thumbs Up

There are cutouts on the 2018, it's just harder to see. I think the biggest difference in the two boards is weight; 2018 @19 lbs and 2019/20 @17.3 lbs. The rest is very similar. I've heard there is a minor difference in footstraps; slightly closer to the mast track on the 2019/20. I think the 2018 boards look out of scale in some online pictures.

CoreAS
891 posts
5 Feb 2020 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

From my understanding the 2018 and 2019/20 are the same size board, the 2019/20 was made with lighter construction.
6' 6" x 31"

Yes 2018 has cutouts

I mostly use the i99 in B position with 42 rear wing (that way if the wind picks up, I can use a smaller front wing without unbolting everything!)

this is my wind/wing gauge for flat water (everyone is different as I foil on freshwater, very little swell or waves) @ 92 kg:

i99 for 5-14 mph
i84 for 10-20 mph
i76 for 17+ mph
TC68 for 25+ mph

Footstraps (this gets complicated):

front strap outer hole is 3 holes back
front strap inner hole is 2 holes back
The reason why is because I didn't like the way my foot and ankle was going to be parallel with the rail, by locating the outer hole 3 back it twists the foot strap so it allows me relax the foot).

Both rear straps 2 holes back (outer row)

CoreAS
891 posts
5 Feb 2020 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

This is the mast base position 41 1/4" from center of UJ to center of front bolt hole. ..This seems to work for all front wings very well.

Foilnut
174 posts
5 Feb 2020 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

Ok motogon & CoreAS, thanks for the clarification,

For reference I setup my 2019 with the same distance 41 1/4" from front mast bolt to CL of mast base. Looks similar

My board weight (straps off) is 8.0 kg/17.6 lbs.

What i'm seeing is that it looks like the i99 would work on the 2019 as well. The ice will be on our lakes until April so no testing until then. ;o(

CoreAS
891 posts
5 Feb 2020 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Looks spot on Foilnut

Your mast track has the mast base nut opening at the rear of the slot on the 2018 it was in the middle of the slot, so the mast base looks neigh on identical location.

Your board is lighter, which in theory should help with the i99 in super light airs... (the 2018 seems to chug along quite nicely as well,, ha).

azymuth
WA, 2025 posts
5 Feb 2020 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..this is my wind/wing gauge for flat water (everyone is different as I foil on freshwater, very little swell or waves) @ 92 kg:
i99 for 5-14 mph
i84 for 10-20 mph
i76 for 17+ mph
TC68 for 25+ mph

Dean, do you often get wind over 15 knots?

We used to dig our Time Code 68's but the Infinity 65 is next level fun - faster and crankier (?) turns.
A fraction harder to get going than the 76 in 15 knots but once you're up the acceleration and speed generates heaps of lift
Works fine with the W 125.

CoreAS
891 posts
5 Feb 2020 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
azymuth said..

CoreAS said..this is my wind/wing gauge for flat water (everyone is different as I foil on freshwater, very little swell or waves) @ 92 kg:
i99 for 5-14 mph
i84 for 10-20 mph
i76 for 17+ mph
TC68 for 25+ mph

Dean, do you often get wind over 15 knots?

We used to dig our Time Code 68's but the Infinity 65 is next level fun - faster and crankier (?) turns.
A fraction harder to get going than the 76 in 15 knots but once you're up the acceleration and speed generates heaps of lift
Works fine with the W 125.

Hey Jon

We are coming up to our windy season (spring) and we will get solid 4.0-4.5 days where the i76 and TC68 will come out to play.
We do have a local rider with the i65 wing, so as soon as conditions allow I will test it (he just ordered the FS 115 board as well...can't wait to ride that)

dejavu
822 posts
23 Feb 2020 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Here's the competition to the i99 -- Moses 1100. It's wider but not as deep for a little less area. The i76 looks tiny when the two are put side by side.

moseshydrofoil.com/products/wing-1020-surfwing

thedoor
2278 posts
23 Feb 2020 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

dejavu said..
Here's the competition to the i99 -- Moses 1100. It's wider but not as deep for a little less area. The i76 looks tiny when the two are put side by side.

Aspect ratio determines top speed?
Surface area determines minimum lift speed?

The big go foils tend be higher select ratio too. I wonder what the advantages low aspect ratio are, assuming surface area is the same.

CoreAS
891 posts
24 Feb 2020 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Local rider Brad foiling the i99 on the 2020 Freestyle 115 in 9 knots and holes of 6 knots on a 5.6...that's a 5.6!

I was using the i99 on a 5.0/Wizard 125. Bit of Olympic pumping but I foiled in 6 -10 knots (granted we have very flat water).

I forgot my 430 mast that I use on the 5.8, so had no choice. No one thought it was possible to foil in light winds as that with a 5.0
(I weigh 92kg).

If you can pump and get the foil to hook, you can then board pump (like the guys that launch from boat docks etc) and keep the energy going in the foil.

#saynoto9.0

utcminusfour
663 posts
24 Feb 2020 3:00AM
Thumbs Up

dejavu said..

We need to confirm if this works on the 900 fuselodge. The link you sent states it is compatable with the 710 fuse which will be a bit short for windfoil.

kiter49
84 posts
24 Feb 2020 5:07AM
Thumbs Up

utcminusfour said..

dejavu said..

We need to confirm if this works on the 900 fuselodge. The link you sent states it is compatable with the 710 fuse which will be a bit short for windfoil.

It looks more like the Infinity 84 than the I99 , almost same area .

dejavu
822 posts
24 Feb 2020 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

kiter49 said..

utcminusfour said..

dejavu said..

It looks more like the Infinity 84 than the I99 , almost same area .

Yes, but look at its wingspan -- massive! Will this give it similar lift with less drag thus allowing it to reach higher speeds than either the i84 or the i99?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing" started by CoreAS