kiter49
84 posts
24 Feb 2020 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

dejavu said..

kiter49 said..

utcminusfour said..

dejavu said..
Here's the competition to the i99 -- Moses 1100. It's wider but not as deep for a little less area. The i76 looks tiny when the two are put side by side.

moseshydrofoil.com/products/wing-1020-surfwing

We need to confirm if this works on the 900 fuselodge. The link you sent states it is compatable with the 710 fuse which will be a bit short for windfoil.

It looks more like the Infinity 84 than the I99 , almost same area .

Yes, but look at its wingspan -- massive! Will this give it similar lift with less drag thus allowing it to reach higher speeds than either the i84 or the i99?

Thats right , quite wide . Interesting . I can't wait to see what Slingshot will bring with the new Phantasm ?

michaelpaf
92 posts
15 Mar 2020 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

So some winter storms and stronger wind passed bavaria. Very great sessions with the i76 and wizard 125. Also with fin surfing. But however. For tomorrow it looks like good day to test the i99 on the wizard 125. So I'll simply change the wing and stay at the exact same setup.
I'll write a review about the first session. Let's see if it will work and how many fun it will bring....

michaelpaf
92 posts
16 Mar 2020 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

So today was the big day...wind from 7 -11 knots
Setup was Wizard 125 (2019) / I99 / 42 Rear / Position B / 88 KG driver weight / 6,9 GUN Beat / SDM mast / Surfmast position middle of the mast track.
With the first gust of I don't know sure 7-8 knots the wing created uncreadible Lift when I started pumping.Also it started flying very easy and incredbile early. With two or three pumpings the board went immediateliy in the gliding phase and with pressure behind I was able to lift it up. Everyting just with very low speed. The feeling of the early lift was completely new for me. Until now I was only flying the i76.
When lifted up I feelt that my complete trim between board, sail and wing was not working. I needed to press all the time the back leg. I needed to position this on the straps behind or between the streps behind.

First correction: Mast completeley behind in the mast track.

Result: A bit better but still not easy to stay flying. Thr strange thing was. That just every time at pumping I started flying to easy. But staying in flight was quite difficult

Second trim correction:
I had to less time to do a smart correction with switching the fuse. So withoug switching the fuse I set the Foil Mast to the "C Position". With this the wing went much more foreward.
Result: Pumping normal the wing went up immediately at first pump. To early. With correcting the foot position it went better. Some minutes later I found the foot position I need and also moved the Sailmast again in the half of the mast track. Everyhting was much more balenced.
I have my doubts that this position was the best one. But i worked. The flight was over the complete lake with very low wind.

In lulls I pumped the Wing with my feet: Oh my dear !!! What big energy is there under the Wing??? Now I know how the guys pump their foil boards. The feeling is incredible and completely new !! When I pump the i76 it reacts a bit ! The i99 is giving back an enormous pack of power to stay flying. In lulls there was so less wind that I was able to pump through them only with wing and opened sail.

Then I got a bit more of wind....the first 11 knots gutsts came even more and more and I missed a bit the speed of the i76. So I changed again the Front Wing and set the Foil mast again to the Position B. The speed and agility of the i76 and i99 is very different.

So short conclusion: I think the i99 can be brought to fly with the Wizard 125 / 2019, but this setup needs to be adjusted. I guess on a leviator 150 / 160 this will work much easier and much more advantage can be picked up from the wing. For me it was my first try so let's see what the future will bring up.

Keep Flying !
Hang Loose.....

CoreAS
907 posts
16 Mar 2020 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
michaelpaf said..
So today was the big day...wind from 7 -11 knots
Setup was Wizard 125 (2019) / I99 / 42 Rear / Position B / 88 KG driver weight / 6,9 GUN Beat / SDM mast / Surfmast position middle of the mast track.
With the first gust of I don't know sure 7-8 knots the wing created uncreadible Lift when I started pumping.Also it started flying very easy and incredbile early. With two or three pumpings the board went immediateliy in the gliding phase and with pressure behind I was able to lift it up. Everyting just with very low speed. The feeling of the early lift was completely new for me. Until now I was only flying the i76.
When lifted up I feelt that my complete trim between board, sail and wing was not working. I needed to press all the time the back leg. I needed to position this on the straps behind or between the streps behind.

First correction: Mast completeley behind in the mast track.

Result: A bit better but still not easy to stay flying. Thr strange thing was. That just every time at pumping I started flying to easy. But staying in flight was quite difficult

Second trim correction:
I had to less time to do a smart correction with switching the fuse. So withoug switching the fuse I set the Foil Mast to the "C Position". With this the wing went much more foreward.
Result: Pumping normal the wing went up immediately at first pump. To early. With correcting the foot position it went better. Some minutes later I found the foot position I need and also moved the Sailmast again in the half of the mast track. Everyhting was much more balenced.
I have my doubts that this position was the best one. But i worked. The flight was over the complete lake with very low wind.

In lulls I pumped the Wing with my feet: Oh my dear !!! What big energy is there under the Wing??? Now I know how the guys pump their foil boards. The feeling is incredible and completely new !! When I pump the i76 it reacts a bit ! The i99 is giving back an enormous pack of power to stay flying. In lulls there was so less wind that I was able to pump through them only with wing and opened sail.

Then I got a bit more of wind....the first 11 knots gutsts came even more and more and I missed a bit the speed of the i76. So I changed again the Front Wing and set the Foil mast again to the Position B. The speed and agility of the i76 and i99 is very different.

So short conclusion: I think the i99 can be brought to fly with the Wizard 125 / 2019, but this setup needs to be adjusted. I guess on a leviator 150 / 160 this will work much easier and much more advantage can be picked up from the wing. For me it was my first try so let's see what the future will bring up.

Keep Flying !
Hang Loose.....

Michaelpaf

Sounds like you were flying in very little wing, welcome to the i99 club :)

If you have gone straight from the i76 to the i99 it will take time adjusting to the back foot pressure. The i76 feels quick and nimble in good wind strength but for 5-10 knots on the i99 it requires a different stance, more pumping and board trim.

If I could make one comment...moving the mast base from the center of the track to all the way back is too extreme of an adjustment.
10 to 20 mm can make a big difference, move it back from center but try fractions at a time.

A 6.9 is quite a lot of sail I think for the wizard 125... I have used a 7.0 with the i99/wizard 125 but it did feel unbalanced, that why I use
a 5.8 with little down haul and good pumping.

I prefer B position/42 rear, but other guys here (taller than me 6ft+) like C position/48 rear.

Keep trying small adjustments until you get it dialed in for you!

excav8ter
550 posts
16 Mar 2020 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

I went out with my i99 on the Levitator 160 yesterday. 8.0 Ezzy Cheetah mounted in the middle of the mast track. Foil mast was 1.5 inches from the rear most setting. Wind was pretty strong for the 8.0, but died to a nice
8-12mph. My pumping technique is not too good yet, but once on foil, the i99 is SO MUCH FUN. With some pumps and paying attention to the lulls, I could pretty much keep flying.

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs

excav8ter
550 posts
16 Mar 2020 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

I went out with my i99 on the Levitator 160 yesterday. 8.0 Ezzy Cheetah mounted in the middle of the mast track. Foil mast was 1.5 inches from the rear most setting. Wind was pretty strong for the 8.0, but died to a nice
8-12mph. My pumping technique is not too good yet, but once on foil, the i99 is SO MUCH FUN. With some pumps and paying attention to the lulls, I could pretty much keep flying.

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs

CoreAS
907 posts
17 Mar 2020 4:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs

Good to hear that you're enjoying the glides through the super light stuff, its pretty phenomenal how it keeps going, and at your height and weight that's awesome :)

excav8ter
550 posts
17 Mar 2020 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

excav8ter said..

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs

Good to hear that you're enjoying the glides through the super light stuff, its pretty phenomenal how it keeps going, and at your height and weight that's awesome :)

Super stoked today... I just ordered a boom for a Maui sails Tr-X 10.0 I bought last fall. Hoping to get down closer to 6 or 7mph with slightly bigger gusts and get on foil.

CoreAS
907 posts
18 May 2020 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Video from this morning! We have had some decent spring winds last few weeks, so it felt good to get out and on the infinity 99 wing in some light winds.

Wind swung North so its a good 3/4 mile out to the channel where the wind is squeezed under a bridge and accelerates.
This wind direction is impossible for winging, windsurfing and kiting but for wind foiling you can pretty much get to any area, pump and glide

azymuth
WA, 2031 posts
18 May 2020 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..
Video from this morning! We have had some decent spring winds last few weeks, so it felt good to get out and on the infinity 99 wing in some light winds.

Wind swung North so its a good 3/4 mile out to the channel where the wind is squeezed under a bridge and accelerates.
This wind direction is impossible for winging, windsurfing and kiting but for wind foiling you can pretty much get to any area, pump and glide

Nice going Dean - not a whitecap in sight
Amazing with a 5.8m.

CoreAS
907 posts
19 May 2020 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
azymuth said..

CoreAS said..

Nice going Dean - not a whitecap in sight
Amazing with a 5.8m.

Cheers JJ

Its getting pretty outrageous how little wind you can fly with a 5.8 sail

I always had to rig 1-1.5 meter sail bigger than most sailors when windsurfing, so this is complete opposite end of the spectrum for me.

Its difficult to see from the camera angle but there are apartments, a mariner, restaurants all along the north side of the lake and creates a near wind blanket, if you can catch a decent puff from the channel you can foil/pump and bear off to keep going...you cannot help but grin and think there is no way I should be foiling in this.

thedoor
2301 posts
19 May 2020 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

The 99 can be dangerous though, one little puff to get on the foil and a mile later you realize you have foiled yourself into a massive wind hole

CoreAS
907 posts
19 May 2020 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..
The 99 can be dangerous though, one little puff to get on the foil and a mile later you realize you have foiled yourself into a massive wind hole

I know exactly what you mean, ha!

the 99 is like a Cummings Diesel engine it keeps ticking over at low revs but if you don't watch the wind shifts you could be in for bit of a schlog fest!

excav8ter
550 posts
25 May 2020 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

Got an unexpected session in with my i99, Levitator 160 and Ezzy Cheetah 8.0 this morning. 62 degree air temp and water in the 50's with an 8-15mph breeze. Rigged up at 8am and had some REALLY fun times. A buddy joined me on his Kalama Custom wing foil board and a 6.0 Ozone Wasp paired with a GoFoil Maliko 200. We spent the better part of 2 hours cruising around the lake and having fun watching each other.
The i99 is so cruise-y! Still pretty fast feeling in the wind we had. Felt so good to be out without and rubber on!

CoreAS
907 posts
25 May 2020 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..
Got an unexpected session in with my i99, Levitator 160 and Ezzy Cheetah 8.0 this morning. 62 degree air temp and water in the 50's with an 8-15mph breeze. Rigged up at 8am and had some REALLY fun times. A buddy joined me on his Kalama Custom wing foil board and a 6.0 Ozone Wasp paired with a GoFoil Maliko 200. We spent the better part of 2 hours cruising around the lake and having fun watching each other.
The i99 is so cruise-y! Still pretty fast feeling in the wind we had. Felt so good to be out without and rubber on!

I haven't foiled the levitator 160 and asking for a friend.
Are there track numbers on the twin tracks and which number do you set back of mast place set at? And which fuse position B or C?

excav8ter
550 posts
26 May 2020 4:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

excav8ter said..

Are there track numbers on the twin tracks and which number do you set back of mast place set at? And which fuse position B or C?

At the suggestion of a fellow Seabreeze-er, i positioned my foil mast as far back as possible and then made measurements in one inch increments moving forward to the farthest point forward the foil mast could be placed. Then I went back and mad ?" measurements too.
These pictures are from last September when I was first getting started with wind foiling.

I use both the i84 and i99 in position B.

I am generally right around the 1?" mark... plus or minus a bit.

I'm 225, 6'4"

CoreAS
907 posts
26 May 2020 5:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
excav8ter said..

CoreAS said..

excav8ter said..

At the suggestion of a fellow Seabreeze-er, i positioned my foil mast as far back as possible and then made measurements in one inch increments moving forward to the farthest point forward the foil mast could be placed. Then I went back and mad ?" measurements too.
These pictures are from last September when I was first getting started with wind foiling.

I'm 225, 6'4"

Awesome, great info!...I will pass it on.

I also agree B position is my favored fuse setting for all SS front wings.

excav8ter
550 posts
26 May 2020 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

excav8ter said..

CoreAS said..

excav8ter said..

I'm 225, 6'4"

Awesome, great info!...I will pass it on.

I also agree B position is my favored fuse setting for all SS front wings.

I should mention that I have the sail mast basically in the middle of the mast track too.

Hope it helps.

Smidgeuk
70 posts
15 Jun 2020 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, Im an intermediate foiler with SSi76 and i99 and 42 rear. My 15 yr old daughter is also foiling now and my wife is just beginning. I have an old Starboard F155 - the original 2000 narrow formula board that is pretty close to the design characteristics of a JP SLW - and a Hypernut 4in1 that I use for foiling (plus a converted Flare 111 with twin tracks that I havent foiled yet as Im not sure I can uphaul it!).

I recently got the i99 and have had a few sessions on the Hypernut with it. I got it dialed in easily - although not getting pumping starts quite right yet as I can get it in the air quite easily but then cant transition it into stable flight. I love it.

My question though is that I would really like to use the i99 in the F155 for ultra light wind, and mainly as a learning platform for my wife. So far I havent been able to get it balanced - as the tuttle box is far back and the mast track relatively far forward. I started in B with a 6.5 Gator, which was a disaster - literally pinned to the water by the lift being too far back relative to the weight and mast foot pressure, and moved on to C which was improved but still not right, requiring significant back foot pressure and pulling up on the front. Any suggestions on what I can do easily to make it work? Im planning to put the UJ at the absolute furthest back position (it was close before but not quite as far as poss), use a smaller sail (5.7 or 5.0 to reduce MFP and weight). Im hoping not to need to move the front footstraps further back as that would mean they have to go into the outboard position, rather than the inboard "training" position that works best for foiling. I have already got rid of back straps so that back foot can go as far back as poss (that seems to work well in general for learning foiling).

Should have mentioned that the i76 works fine in B on the F155 board.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

thedoor
2301 posts
15 Jun 2020 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smidgeuk said..
Hi all, Im an intermediate foiler with SSi76 and i99 and 42 rear. My 15 yr old daughter is also foiling now and my wife is just beginning. I have an old Starboard F155 - the original 2000 narrow formula board that is pretty close to the design characteristics of a JP SLW - and a Hypernut 4in1 that I use for foiling (plus a converted Flare 111 with twin tracks that I havent foiled yet as Im not sure I can uphaul it!).

I recently got the i99 and have had a few sessions on the Hypernut with it. I got it dialed in easily - although not getting pumping starts quite right yet as I can get it in the air quite easily but then cant transition it into stable flight. I love it.

My question though is that I would really like to use the i99 in the F155 for ultra light wind, and mainly as a learning platform for my wife. So far I havent been able to get it balanced - as the tuttle box is far back and the mast track relatively far forward. I started in B with a 6.5 Gator, which was a disaster - literally pinned to the water by the lift being too far back relative to the weight and mast foot pressure, and moved on to C which was improved but still not right, requiring significant back foot pressure and pulling up on the front. Any suggestions on what I can do easily to make it work? Im planning to put the UJ at the absolute furthest back position (it was close before but not quite as far as poss), use a smaller sail (5.7 or 5.0 to reduce MFP and weight). Im hoping not to need to move the front footstraps further back as that would mean they have to go into the outboard position, rather than the inboard "training" position that works best for foiling. I have already got rid of back straps so that back foot can go as far back as poss (that seems to work well in general for learning foiling).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It may be a lost cause if sail mast and front strap is all the way back. Maybe install twin tracks into that board?

Grantmac
2097 posts
16 Jun 2020 2:01AM
Thumbs Up

You can use a hard rubber washer to shim the back of the stab. I did that on a board which was too back footed with the original H2. Limits speed a bit but gets things balanced.

sl55
128 posts
16 Jun 2020 3:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smidgeuk said..

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Just take all footstraps off for now. It should be easy to balance placing your (her) feet wherever you like.

thedoor
2301 posts
16 Jun 2020 3:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..
You can use a hard rubber washer to shim the back of the stab. I did that on a board which was too back footed with the original H2. Limits speed a bit but gets things balanced.

not a bad idea

CoreAS
907 posts
16 Jun 2020 4:48AM
Thumbs Up

Honestly reading between the lines the FW board you are using is making life difficult for you on the i99.

The mast track is probably too far forward but more importantly the footstraps positions are out of whack. You need your weight and pressure over the top of the foil not raked out on the rails (that would be ok for racing foils).

If the board is getting pinned moving the rig pressure back will help but your feet need to go further inboard and possibly forward.

dejavu
825 posts
22 Jun 2020 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

I was on the Levitator 150 today with the infinity 99 and a 6.0 Sail Works Flyer in basically super marginal winds. A few years ago I would have been out with my formula board with a 12 metre sail catching the few gusts. I'm much happier uphauling a 6.0.

The i99 is a gentle giant that is relatively easy to control -- it's a lot of fun to fly silently in the air above the water in so little wind.

I really appreciate the mast track on the bottom of the Levitator since it makes tuning a lot easier for me. Also, the volume of the Levitator is so nice in the lulls (2 or 3 m.p.h.). My SS FS 115 is no fun in big lulls.

CoreAS
907 posts
23 Jun 2020 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
I was on the Levitator 150 today with the infinity 99 and a 6.0 Sail Works Flyer in basically super marginal winds. A few years ago I would have been out with my formula board with a 12 metre sail catching the few gusts. I'm much happier uphauling a 6.0.

The i99 is a gentle giant that is relatively easy to control -- it's a lot of fun to fly silently in the air above the water in so little wind.

I really appreciate the mast track on the bottom of the Levitator since it makes tuning a lot easier for me. Also, the volume of the Levitator is so nice in the lulls (2 or 3 m.p.h.). My SS FS 115 is no fun in big lulls

Exactly dejavu it is much more fun foiling on a 6.0 in such marginal conditions, I bet your back doesn't miss the 12 meter! even a 7.5 feels heavy to me now.

The 2021 SS wizards will also come with twin tracks just like the Levitators/FS 115, so I am looking forward to having more micro foil adjustment on marginal days.

dejavu
825 posts
24 Jun 2020 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

dejavu said..

I really appreciate the mast track on the bottom of the Levitator since it makes tuning a lot easier for me. Also, the volume of the Levitator is so nice in the lulls (2 or 3 m.p.h.). My SS FS 115 is no fun in big lulls

Exactly dejavu it is much more fun foiling on a 6.0 in such marginal conditions, I bet your back doesn't miss the 12 meter! even a 7.5 feels heavy to me now.

The 2021 SS wizards will also come with twin tracks just like the Levitators/FS 115, so I am looking forward to having more micro foil adjustment on marginal days.

Smart move by Sling Shot adding the foil mast track to the new Wizards. Apparently JP has some foil boards, which also have foil mast tracks.

I'm using the Levitator to learn how to Wind Wing -- to start with, a big and stable board is the ticket to getting used to flying a wind wing. I'm hoping the Infinity 99 will help shorten the learning curve.

From your videos and the pictures you've posted you look like you're becoming quite proficient with the wind wing. I'll bet it's lots of fun.

dejavu
825 posts
9 Jul 2020 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

Went out on July 7/20 -- 5 to 12 m.p.h. The gusts looked better than they actually were so I rigged my 7.0 flyer and attached my i76 foil. No go. Came back in in and replaced the i76 with the i99.

I had a fun afternoon. If you want to foil on, what would normally be non-foiling days, then the i99 could well save the day.

What's up with day after day of 32 -35 degree C days here in Canada?

oscardog
211 posts
1 Sep 2020 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Coreas,

Have you tried the i99 with your Exocet RF91?

If so, 48 or 42 rear stab?

Am looking for an excuse to get a larger front foil than my i84, and not sure can justify getting a new board as well. Think the i99 might be better for my (so far) unsuccessful dock starting.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing" started by CoreAS