Burrum Windfest 2014

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2013
sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
27 Aug 2013 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vando said..

This year was a cracker too for wind with speeds just under the 40 mark.

Not for some unfortunately

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
27 Aug 2013 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

vando said..

This year was a cracker too for wind with speeds just under the 40 mark.

Not for some unfortunately

2014 is your year Snags

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
27 Aug 2013 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

yeah 2009 was great year. was the first year I think we stumbled on a good format.

last year was close with getting some higher speeds on the board. just needed someone on the course when the sand started blowing. I looked up at the top of the course and everyone got flattened. vando and glynn were off in the distance after going wide off the top of the course.

i'll probably miss the wanderers social meet up there but am going back in late September to catch up with some of the local businesses and have a sail. the word from Geoff is the sand is back and higher than it was in 2013. i'm guessing 2009 levels. keen to check it out.

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
28 Aug 2013 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

footage I don't think ever made the light of day.

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
28 Aug 2013 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

here's another unseen vid. in 2012 and 2013 we had biblical flooding in the month leading up to the event. in 2012 competitors drove through flood water to get to the event. the flooding during these 2 years turned the Burrum water brown.

in 2012 during the days leading up to the event Glynn grabbed some great footage out on the bank while a handful of the guys were having fun and tuning their gear for the comp.

the vid starts with Glynn heading to the top of the course where he gybes and then does the full run down the bank, gybes and heads back up the top of the course to complete a full lap. it takes just under 5 minutes for him to complete the lap.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
3 Dec 2013 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to launch from in front of either of the caravan parks and access the course? If not, and you are staying in the caravan park, where do you go to launch and is it a carry or vehicle job?

rrdsailor
QLD, 120 posts
3 Dec 2013 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to launch from in front of either of the caravan parks and access the course? If not, and you are staying in the caravan park, where do you go to launch and is it a carry or vehicle job?

Not really possible from the caravan parks,(unless you jump on your board and drift out on the
tide). It is far easier to rig along the front along from the boat ramp. Most people who camp drive
the short distance and some rig at Dudley or Torbanlea Streets. You can use the local messageboards
windsurfinggear.com.au/news or www.facebook.com/groups/584746731548783/ for more info
or to let us know you are in town.

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
3 Dec 2013 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Iam planning to come again this year ,the later dates will suit me better and look forward to more runs along the speed strip and good company

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
3 Dec 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds fantastic ! I reckon I'll come up this year and kick Vandos arse.(In the beer drinking comp)

andysails
SA, 79 posts
3 Dec 2013 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ikw777 said..

The other option Ian and especially if you're trying out a new speed board (sinker), is to go out in a boat and rig on the sand-bar as the tide drops.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
3 Dec 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andysails said..

ikw777 said..

The other option Ian and especially if you're trying out a new speed board (sinker), is to go out in a boat and rig on the sand-bar as the tide drops.

Speed board! LOL. The Falcon 89 is extreme enough for me.

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
3 Dec 2013 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in House is booked and the leave applied for

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
3 Dec 2013 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said...

Great to hear you're coming up Kato and dont forget to pack a couple of those 40knot SP winds days too.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
3 Dec 2013 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andysails said..

ikw777 said..

You just need to man up and walk up the bank like me

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
3 Dec 2013 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

Leave ya wetty at home kato. be great to catup again

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
3 Dec 2013 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

Hope this mobs not next door

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
4 Dec 2013 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

I hope I cane make it after my 8 week trip to LG starting in Jan sounds like a good event again planed.
Gr8 Vid Justin.

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
4 Dec 2013 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

Is that leave from work or home or both?

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
4 Dec 2013 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Glynn Merrit said..

kato said..

Is that leave from work or home or both?

work and now approved. Bringing family as well

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
20 Jan 2014 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

update for burrum windfest 2014 with only 2 and a half months to go!!!!

first up. the event website is now online and registration is happening.
please see the event website - windfest.info/
or windwanderers website - www.windwanderers.org.au/

on the program for 2014

1. gps speed sailing
2. longboard/one design course racing
3. freerace
4. yellow and red rashie

signing on to this years event gets you a big smile, an event t-shirt, access to the end of event bbq including food and drinks, entry to any or all of the above categories including eligibility to all prizes, trophies and lucky draws, free sailing time, access to windsurfing lessons, fun races, boat and barge support on the water including amenities facilities and bbq's, social sup races and transport to social dinners at the Burrum Hotel.

this year is not to be missed!! check out the event website and program. each competitor gets to decide how to have the most fun.

as per previous years an early bird discount will apply to those that sign on, "early". more event info to follow as the event approaches.

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
20 Jan 2014 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

new to this year is the rashie contest. this contest is to provide recognition for the most consistent windsurfer for the gps sailing. there are 2 divisions,

legends class will be identified by the red rashie

open class will be identified by the yellow rashie

at the end of each day the windsurfer with the highest aggregate score card (across all gps categories) will be presented the rashie to be worn the following day on the course. yes. now you will have a target on your back. :-) at the end of each day and eventuially the end of comp the rashie is to be handed back ready to be awarded again. similar to the tour de france format.

Magnus8
QLD, 364 posts
20 Jan 2014 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

...at the end of each day and eventuially the end of comp the rashie is to be handed back ready to be awarded again. similar to the tour de france format.

Better start injecting growth hormone then....

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
20 Jan 2014 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Magnus8 said..

Gestalt said..

...at the end of each day and eventuially the end of comp the rashie is to be handed back ready to be awarded again. similar to the tour de france format.

Better start injecting growth hormone then....

FNQ Mob blood doping rates as follows;
1/2 litre type O +: $120 (seniors, Firiebob and BYO blood half price)
all other blood types $180/transfusion.

All enquiries freecall 1800BLOOD

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
20 Jan 2014 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

the mayor of burrum has his own personal growth hormone. I am sure some are familiar....

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
21 Jan 2014 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

the mayor of burrum has his own personal growth hormone. I am sure some are familiar....

It's not working

Jas71
QLD, 384 posts
21 Jan 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

I've just payed my entry fee book a camp site, fingers crossed it blows. pop my Burrum cherry.

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

good stuff jas!!

will this be your first visit to the event?

Jas71
QLD, 384 posts
21 Jan 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it is, i'l be pushing for lots of laughs and PB's

Gestalt
QLD, 14394 posts
21 Jan 2014 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

usually when someone hits the event for the first time they break all of their pb's so fingers crossed for you as well.

20 knots from the S-SE should get you taping on your pb door. come and see me on the bank and I'll give you a few tips on how to sail the run to get the most out of it.

will see you up there!
cheers
Justin.

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
21 Jan 2014 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gestalt said..

usually when someone hits the event for the first time they break all of their pb's so fingers crossed for you as well.

20 knots from the S-SE should get you taping on your pb door. come and see me on the bank and I'll give you a few tips on how to sail the run to get the most out of it.

will see you up there!
cheers
Justin.

Promise

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2014" started by Gestalt