jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
30 Jan 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

Kimba said..

Hi Rexy,
........... Here is some footage of a lightwind morning (12-20) on the 89 with a 6.7 RSR. (I am 110Kg)

It should be made a criminal offence posting videos like that or at least come with a warning similar to cigarette packs e.g. "Watching may cause depression" or "keep sharp fins away from viewers not able to go to Lake George"!

This is just putting huge expectations that just doesn't happen every year and there is no guarantee we will get these conditions this year
Select to expand quote
choco said..

AUS02 said..

I know it's been asked before and that it's starting to get good now, but when is it looking like the water levels will be looking really good?

my guess late Feb-March if Jimbob says it's not flat then it's not flat although the current conditions maybe very flat to people who have never sailed there, plenty of wind coming though, I'll save my sessions for later.

As choco said its not flat like in the video actually far from it and I doubt that it will get that good this year, the last 2 years have been special but there was way more water put into the lake this year. I remember years when it stays full all summer and you can still run the spit at easter.
There seems to be HUGE expectations from people on here and this video doesn't help (sorry Kimba)
Actually i'm already over the calls and messages asking should I make the trip will I get records etc etc.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
30 Jan 2014 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

We are heading to Beachport next week. Of course I hope its windy and thr water is flat. However there are no guarantees in life so if its windless then we will have a relaxing beachside holiday. I have borrowed three books I'm keen to read from the local library so perhaps I'll get annoyed the windsurfing gets in the way of some relaxing and reading.

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
30 Jan 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..

sausage said..

Kimba said..

Hi Rexy,
........... Here is some footage of a lightwind morning (12-20) on the 89 with a 6.7 RSR. (I am 110Kg)

It should be made a criminal offence posting videos like that or at least come with a warning similar to cigarette packs e.g. "Watching may cause depression" or "keep sharp fins away from viewers not able to go to Lake George"!

This is just putting huge expectations that just doesn't happen every year and there is no guarantee we will get these conditions this year
choco said..

AUS02 said..

I know it's been asked before and that it's starting to get good now, but when is it looking like the water levels will be looking really good?

my guess late Feb-March if Jimbob says it's not flat then it's not flat although the current conditions maybe very flat to people who have never sailed there, plenty of wind coming though, I'll save my sessions for later.

As choco said its not flat like in the video actually far from it and I doubt that it will get that good this year, the last 2 years have been special but there was way more water put into the lake this year. I remember years when it stays full all summer and you can still run the spit at easter.
There seems to be HUGE expectations from people on here and this video doesn't help (sorry Kimba)
Actually i'm already over the calls and messages asking should I make the trip will I get records etc etc.

Hey Jamie,
don't sweat it mate. I've been to Sandy Point 5 or 6 times now and in all that time I have only scored 1 PB. I think we all understand how fickle the weather can be and I personally can say that if it happens, awesome, if it doesn't....meh!
What's the worst thing, we sit around for a week drinking beer and talking crap with like minded idiots! I can think of worse things to do!
I can't wait to again put more faces to names and meet more people from our amazing windsurfing community

AUS02
TAS, 1988 posts
30 Jan 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

No, no, I've seen the video, it's always like that isn't it!!

Regardless of the actual conditions, great effort to anyone venturing away from their local spot to try somewhere new. That's what it's really about. If you manage to get some good conditions, that's a bonus!

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
30 Jan 2014 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

I arrived 3 days ago and I think anyone that has never been here before will be greatly impressed by this place, not just the windsurfing , but also the natural surroundings, it is worth the trip apart from any gps results.

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
31 Jan 2014 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

The wife & I are driving down we should be there by monday so far ive had heaps of good sails on the way down from Wello & met heaps of nice sailors so trips been good looking forward to meeting more windsurfers.

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
31 Jan 2014 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kimba said..

sick_em_rex said..

is it worth me bringing my 112Falcon? I only weigh 74 kg's and was hoping the extra salinity of the lake and more consistent breeze would negate the need for it. Will I be right with my 89Falcon and speed board? I know it's crystal balling a bit as you never know the wind conditions....

Hi Rexy,
I have not used anything bigger than my 89 in the last 2 years I have been to LG. Here is some footage of a lightwind morning (12-20) on the 89 with a 6.7 RSR. (I am 110Kg)

?rel=0

Put the video back on please.

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
31 Jan 2014 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting forecast for Monday, Tuesday. The SE wind will probably be about as good as it gets. Pity about the water level. The place is just not the dream ride we all desire without the weed beds exposed. It will be quite rough out in the middle in those winds but it might be nice for a few short runs behind the spit. I hope the visitors at least get a nice taste of that.

We all hope the water level drops significantly in the next month and that we get another batch of the good winds before the summer is over!

decrepit
WA, 12054 posts
1 Feb 2014 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

I've just had a call from Mal Faulkner, he's working on a solution to the mud crawl, but for some strange reason can't post his pics here, so I'm posting it for him, but I'll let him do the talking.

mr love
VIC, 2341 posts
1 Feb 2014 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Gunna need to widen his footstraps

decrepit
WA, 12054 posts
1 Feb 2014 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mr love said..

Gunna need to widen his footstraps

I don't think he'll be wearing them while sailing, that's what the pole in his hand is for, it's a mud anchor to tie them to.

REDhat
37 posts
2 Feb 2014 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

LG Slippers are made from recycled kiteboards and come complete with mooring pole.

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
2 Feb 2014 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Great idea. Suggest you make them a bit smaller in area and place several holes through to prevent suction effects as with a snowshoe.

kato
VIC, 3382 posts
2 Feb 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Way too big and as Aldo stated no holes to allow the water to pass through. We use snow shoes to walk through mud flats and mangroves, much better. Good first attempt though Mal

REDhat
37 posts
2 Feb 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

I hope they are too big so that I can cut them down to a more managable size on site. They have a curved base to hopefully avoid the suction problem and I hope to be able to slide them forward without needing to lift my feet.

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
2 Feb 2014 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah the curve may help fractionally, but I'm placing my bets on quite a bit of suction first go. Keep us posted!

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
3 Feb 2014 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

I see the wind got to 37 knots in the gusts at Robe today! That's right up there and I think it is significantly more than when all the good speeds were posted last year.

It will be great to hear reports about goings on there today, although I don't expect any startling numbers with the current high water level.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
3 Feb 2014 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Our Team Captain hit the water down there today for the first time and had a PB 40.8 2sec and 38.92 5x10sec. Good times.

gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2014-02-03&team=6

Cheers
Marty

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
4 Feb 2014 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

We had very strong winds today. I was comfortable on my kit yesterday and achieved an hour, nm and alpha PB. Today the winds were stronger and control was more important than performance for me.

Anyone coming down here bring warm clothes and footware. Today I wore jeans, long sleeved shirt and fleecy pull over and in the middle of the day was not hot. Last night walking home from the pub it was very cold.

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
6 Feb 2014 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I thought I put few pics from the 4th.. nothing too flash, few heads.. took some quick snapshots before going out myself..

Then snaps from one of Karl's movie..

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
6 Feb 2014 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

5th last photo looks like a mud bath, is it all squishy and squirmy on the bottom?

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
6 Feb 2014 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazza said..

5th last photo looks like a mud bath, is it all squishy and squirmy on the bottom?

YES its the mud start, knee high+, but was so windy did not need to walk too far.. few steps only, Jamie managed few mud start from the beach ;)
The good thing is you can come back full speed back to shore without too much worries! lol

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7965 posts
6 Feb 2014 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Looks windy but pretty flat?

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
6 Feb 2014 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..

Looks windy but pretty flat?

Yes you are right, the last few snaps was the last 30-45 mins of the session.. at the end a of the day the strong wind had pushed out the water..
If you look the last snap I took (Red is leaving shore, AUS in the black Ka sail) the water was more choppy then (hard to tell, was near the shore).. We had stopped, then later realised water has dropped, we went back for a last one, thats at the end of the session we all had higher nbs, almost 1.5 more knts for me 2+ for others! My last run with Jacques was my fastest.

Bogan speed team
SA, 407 posts
6 Feb 2014 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Nice shots Sammy. The better side of us too....

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
6 Feb 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

And one of the man himself

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
8 Feb 2014 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Ops...

choco
SA, 4027 posts
8 Feb 2014 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..

Ops...

wouldn't have worried about it....they're all down hill skiers over in WA anyway

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

The seabreeze arrived at Lake George yesterday and there were quite a few of us out to enjoy it. Lots of fun was had, the wind was not as strong as last Tuesday when those pictures were taken. However what gets me and my fellow New South Welshmen is how consistent the wind is. The wind blows and blows, doesn't shift all that much, don't get huge lulls, just consistent wind with a few puffs.

The wind was measured for a few hours yesterday and it was something like a 19 knot average with a 25 knot maximum and 16 knot minimum. This sort of seabreeze would be quite unusual back in NSW.

Its great to sail in such consistent wind. Smaller gear can be used making sailing so much more fun. Gybes are much easier because you are sailing on real wind, not apparent wind so when the sail is flipped, its not back winded. There is confidence to go downwind as its easier to get back up wind.

powersloshin
NSW, 1675 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

you forgot to mention your unreal pb, 140 plus kms ! must have really enjoyed the conditions and could not stop sailing... hope you have something left for today, should be windy down there.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George Speed Sessions 2014" started by Aus06