Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George Speed Sessions 2014

Created by Aus06 > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2013
Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
11 Feb 2014 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said..

The seabreeze arrived at Lake George yesterday and there were quite a few of us out to enjoy it. Lots of fun was had, the wind was not as strong as last Tuesday when those pictures were taken. However what gets me and my fellow New South Welshmen is how consistent the wind is. The wind blows and blows, doesn't shift all that much, don't get huge lulls, just consistent wind with a few puffs.

The wind was measured for a few hours yesterday and it was something like a 19 knot average with a 25 knot maximum and 16 knot minimum. This sort of seabreeze would be quite unusual back in NSW.

Its great to sail in such consistent wind. Smaller gear can be used making sailing so much more fun. Gybes are much easier because you are sailing on real wind, not apparent wind so when the sail is flipped, its not back winded. There is confidence to go downwind as its easier to get back up wind.

Moby, you are right the LG seabreeze is very special. Sounds like you haven't sailed a Jervis Bay north easter much. I reckon it's just as consistent, more regular and sometimes stronger. Last year the strongest north easter gusted to 48 knots and 30 knots is common. Should check it out...

Here's the wind plot with November averages.

Here is February 2013, with the 25-45 knots seabreeze day highlighted red. Base wind at peak was 25 knots! At 9am it was baseline 24 knots!

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201302/html/IDCJDW2067.201302.shtml

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
11 Feb 2014 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

heading back to sydney today. picked up PBS in all 6 categorys.
Broke a few ofmy goals this year so now will need to set some new ones:)

next goal is 40 2 sec, 26 alpha, and 100+ distance - should havedone onemore run yesterday /sigh

good luck to rest of the cockys - hope you get some more big wind days :) dont let those illawarra guys catch you - i know they are plotting ways to get us!

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Bonominator said..

Here is February 2013, with the 25-45 knots kph seabreeze day highlighted red. Base wind at peak was 25 knots! At 9am it was baseline 24 knots kph !

You reckon last season was good for noreasters. Should have been here this year!

keef
NSW, 2016 posts
11 Feb 2014 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Bonominator said..

Mobydisc said..

The seabreeze arrived at Lake George yesterday and there were quite a few of us out to enjoy it. Lots of fun was had, the wind was not as strong as last Tuesday when those pictures were taken. However what gets me and my fellow New South Welshmen is how consistent the wind is. The wind blows and blows, doesn't shift all that much, don't get huge lulls, just consistent wind with a few puffs.

The wind was measured for a few hours yesterday and it was something like a 19 knot average with a 25 knot maximum and 16 knot minimum. This sort of seabreeze would be quite unusual back in NSW.

Its great to sail in such consistent wind. Smaller gear can be used making sailing so much more fun. Gybes are much easier because you are sailing on real wind, not apparent wind so when the sail is flipped, its not back winded. There is confidence to go downwind as its easier to get back up wind.

Moby, you are right the LG seabreeze is very special. Sounds like you haven't sailed a Jervis Bay north easter much. I reckon it's just as consistent, more regular and sometimes stronger. Last year the strongest north easter gusted to 48 knots and 30 knots is common. Should check it out...

Here's the wind plot with November averages.

Here is February 2013, with the 25-45 knots seabreeze day highlighted red. Base wind at peak was 25 knots! At 9am it was baseline 24 knots!

Bonominator "why is it so" the n/e gets into sanctuary point , we have been sailing the furthest nth of the basin Old Errol bay 4/6 AND 5/0 race sails with wind at times 5kts more than jervis bay, admittedly the wind isn't as strong up there as at the ramp but I would imagine in theory there shouldn't be any wind up there at all ,considering the heavily treed escarpment
I missed you this year so maybe next year , that's if you want your crown back

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
11 Feb 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Mate I was up at Xmas but sailed in the bay as Mum and Dad are on Orion Beach - just so easy. Plus I just love the massive rolling chop. Got to 33knots in the metre rollers!

I'm also not so sure the wind is much stronger at all at Sanctuary Pt. It depends where and when you are sailing. Moona Moona Ck and Plantation Point are just as windy on the big days IMHO. I've sailed Plantation on a 4.2 Kaos and been slammed.

But it's horses for courses. I reckon in one metre high chop and 30knots, the skill level needed to sail slalom gear at maximum speed is probably considerably higher than 35knots in 20cm ripples.

BTW Ian, I think you'll find it's knots, not km/h. I just converted the km/h into windsurf speak. 43-87km/h = about 25-48 knots I make out - last Feb 9th at 4pm. Maybe you're trying to keep this place secret?

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
11 Feb 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bonominator said..

BTW Ian, I think you'll find it's knots, not km/h. I just converted the km/h into windsurf speak. 43-87km/h = about 25-48 knots I make out - last Feb 9th at 4pm. Maybe you're trying to keep this place secret?

Now I see it. I was looking at the 3pm average in the column labeled km/h. Which was forty something. I know it's windy down there but 48 knots is more than a seabreeze. Thunderstorm maybe? What sort of unit is km/h anyway? Knots or m/sec are the only ones that make sense.

( Isn't it a bit rude of us stay-at-homers to hijack the Lake George thread and talk up the noreasters on the east coast? )

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
11 Feb 2014 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

some pics

Jamie the other day behind the split, 12-14knts (mobile shot)

Sydney boys

camera crew ;)

Glossy water

Today 12-14knts

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
11 Feb 2014 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..

Bonominator said..

Now I see it. I was looking at the 3pm average in the column labeled km/h. Which was forty something. I know it's windy down there but 48 knots is more than a seabreeze. Thunderstorm maybe? What sort of unit is km/h anyway? Knots or m/sec are the only ones that make sense.

( Isn't it a bit rude of us stay-at-homers to hijack the Lake George thread and talk up the noreasters on the east coast? )

Just the end of a sunny north east wind cycle. Might be a record seabreeze strength for Australia?

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
12 Feb 2014 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics Sammy :)

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
15 Feb 2014 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Its been great reading the posts on GPSTC from the interstate teams at Lake George. It would have been good to be down there over the last couple of weeks to meet these guys, but I guess I've been waiting for a decent blow to make my move. I caught up with 'Boombuster' early on, but he seemed very focused on finding Choco and Hamma...?

Awesome that there's been so many PB's and stoked sailors coming off the lake in 'moderate' conditions. The next few weeks should have the level about right and it'll be good to time it with some cranking SE winds.

Beachport is a great town, with an awesome pub and a great community. I hope that you've all had a great few days / weeks there, and that you'll go back and spread the word.

For those that are still there... looking forward to catching up over the next few weeks.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
15 Feb 2014 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Are the dark carbon boards holding up in the heat?
Well done to everyone

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
15 Feb 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Aus06 said..
but he seemed very focused on finding Choco and Hamma...?

Did he check the otherside of the sand hills

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
16 Feb 2014 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roar said..

heading back to sydney today. picked up PBS in all 6 categorys.
Broke a few ofmy goals this year so now will need to set some new ones:)

next goal is 40 2 sec, 26 alpha, and 100+ distance - should havedone onemore run yesterday /sigh

good luck to rest of the cockys - hope you get some more big wind days :) dont let those illawarra guys catch you - i know they are plotting ways to get us!

Speaking of breaking and PB's, if you can create a 'mast breaking category' you'd be top contender, no argument!

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
17 Feb 2014 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Cool pics from 15th Feb light wind session
I cannot remember all the names so I did not put any ;)

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
17 Feb 2014 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Sammy, that cool dude in the third photo who looks like he is just about to have a cr.. that would be Hooray.

decrepit
WA, 12054 posts
17 Feb 2014 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

First one looks suspiciously like a scruffy old fart in need of a good trim.

bushfire
NSW, 350 posts
18 Feb 2014 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

We got back last night after the 15 hour drive - a bit pooped now.

This was just the best windsurfing holiday - a great bunch of Speedsters teammates, a great bunch of like minded speed nuts from WA, QLD and NSW (the 'roaches are the PB kings!!!) and a great location. A big thanks to Jamie for making us feel so welcome.

We didn't get the best winds but that didn't seem to matter. I can now imagine how awesome the Lake is when the wind cranks and the water level is spot on.

I'll be back!!!

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
18 Feb 2014 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Pics from yesterday, the sky went from blue to overcast in a hour! The sky was amazing!

The 2 youngsters from QLD with Mike and Dot

A 280 view of the lake..

I been here now over 2 weeks and wanted to take the importunity to give a report on whats going on.. not sure if Jamie said anything yet!?
Well, the water is going down very slowly due to the lack of strong Nth wind pushing water to the dry open land (from Jamie), I think also the lack of any good wind havent helped either.
For the weed, it is growing slowly, we had quite few overcast days which has slowed the process I think!. But can notice the difference on the surface at the end of a sunny day! The weed coming up.. water gets better. There is still the grey patches without weeds like last year where it can get really choppy

We had lot of SW wind days, which is very gusty and pain in the bum, for me ok, everyone else enjoyed themself. What ever you read the forcast, the lower reading will be what you get.. I dont reccord that many SW last year!
For the SE, its the opposite, stable wind and the higher reading on forecast is what you get. Reading from windguru!
Thats what I noticed but can be wrong..Any SE session is fantastic what ever the wind strenght is, just greeeat!

Its been fantastic meeting all this people, I hope to cross path again some days, so great to see them smiling and so happy over very average conditions. I know how good the place can be, and wish they had a test of it! Lot of them have good level and would smoke it in a good forecast ;))

I should have left the place but I am still here, it is hard to leave it I found, love the beach side, the peace... I may loose my job over this but I don't really care!! When you have a passion in life you got to live it!
I want to thanks a lot Jamie for his friendship and generosity in many areas, Thank you so much Jamie ;))

Hope we get some SE, I am getting really itchy!!

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
19 Feb 2014 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the photos you've been posting Sam, nice write up also

bushfire
NSW, 350 posts
19 Feb 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Nice words Sammy. It was great to meet you - your passion for speed sailing is contagious. I hope to sail with you again (at LG or elsewhere) sometime.
The photos have been spot on - thanks for posting them.

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
19 Feb 2014 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bushfire said..

Nice words Sammy. It was great to meet you - your passion for speed sailing is contagious. I hope to sail with you again (at LG or elsewhere) sometime.
The photos have been spot on - thanks for posting them.

Thanks guys, I miss you all guys.. place is so empty now you all gone!! Mal from the Pit has turned up yesterday and the QLDers have left for the Pit!! Funny no!? . We had a very cold, gusty, windy storm one today, we sailed 2 fronts, first one was hairy . Had to hang on to my 6.2!!
Yes fireman, txs for your daily positve attitude, hope to sail with you again... anywhere Keep pushing that Texy he has potential, and keep an eye on his fins ppff send us some good vibs for some SE pls!
So only 4 of us sailing, Jamie should join us in few days

ka43
NSW, 3068 posts
19 Feb 2014 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Good onya Sammy, you are a character!!! great pics and was fun to meet you and hang at Cocky's with your ever present wind meter.
I can still hear the cry "13-15 knots boys" We were out there. Hopefully see you next Feb, take it easy mate.
Wish we were still there, work sucks!!!

decrepit
WA, 12054 posts
19 Feb 2014 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

As Sammy says, today was cold, 13 to 17 or something stupid like that.
Because initially in the morning it was sunny, I started off with my usual springy, but at lunch time it was very overcast and raining. While changing down I froze, so I changed to my steamer and spray jacket. That was much better, so if you're coming down for a long stay, bring all your winter gear.

Texy
NSW, 4 posts
20 Feb 2014 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Sammy you are a great character, was a pleasure to meet you, hope to see you again next year. Thanks for your photos and kind words, have learned a great deal about fins from you and I will have a big collection next time you see me! Fireman will keep a close eye on me as he is our captain.. thanks for the great memories at Lake George! One of of my best. Wil miss you saying ?t's on boys, it's on boys. "

Cheers,
Tex

Windsurfunstu
NSW, 177 posts
20 Feb 2014 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Cool Pics Sammy, thanks man. As they other guys have said your passion for the sport is inspiring. I may not have jagged a great session on my LG trip, which is bad luck BUT I still came away very impressed with the spot and I'm determined to come back and experience LG at its best. A passion like your is infectious, I came home and chopped the sh%t out of a fin, so if it sucks I hold you responsible I am happy to have had a chance to meet such a great bunch of sailors and hope to catch you all again under windier circumstance's

Cheers
Stu

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
20 Feb 2014 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Sammy the apretntice thanks mate for looking after the visiting crew while I have been working, free scotch for you tmro night again !

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
21 Feb 2014 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Some shots of today ;)

Jamie goes retro, time to de-dust the old gear!

Please God, give us some SE.. Graig, Ray, John, Mal ;))

Jimbob finding the sweet spot on the oldies

Anne find a smart way to use the gear after the session

Dot doing great

Mike in love with his 6.6 since yesterday

Dot in action

280 view of the lake at 17.30, wind finally has shifted to SE, 14 knots, water looking good

Mobydisc
NSW, 9027 posts
22 Feb 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

A short video showing some of the action from Lake George in February 2014. We took many photos and have a lot of video footage. So I'll probably stitch together another video. If you like it, I'd appreciate it if you like it on utube.

easty
TAS, 2213 posts
22 Feb 2014 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

^ Liked

SeaSkip
VIC, 97 posts
22 Feb 2014 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

1:02 = LMFAO !
Nice one Karl, can't wait to see more.

Subscribe