Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George Speed Sessions 2014

Created by Aus06 > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2013
SeaSkip
VIC, 97 posts
22 Feb 2014 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone tell me if it is likely to get too shallow for a 26cm deep fin any time soon?
Cheers

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
22 Feb 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SeaSkip said..

Can anyone tell me if it is likely to get too shallow for a 26cm deep fin any time soon?
Cheers

A 26cm fin will be too deep for many areas in both lakes. However there are heaps of areas where it's safe to sail. Sailing straight out from Cockies over to the other side should be safe. Also sailing out from the 5 Mile Drft is safe as long as you don't sail up to the top of the lake.I preferred sailing this area as it felt safer that the others. You will run aground if you sail towards the top of the lake. Also in the big lake there are large areas that are very shallow. However it's pretty awesome bearing off into the big lake. It's a bit frightening when you stop in ankle deep water.

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
22 Feb 2014 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

The last couple of days I've used a 29cm fin, as long as it's 45deg it's ok in the dead flat water between the islands, you just have to be real careful how close you come to shore.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

I have been using a 36 last few light days just a longer walk out, when wind is up a 30 . All weedys.

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

On the real light wind we had I used a 32cm 45 deg weedy and it was fine. As Jamie said, at Cocky's just don't come in back towards the cars too close, you will go over the front Most other days I used a 25 down to 19 on the windy days.

SeaSkip
VIC, 97 posts
23 Feb 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies. I havent sailed weed before so I have only one weed fin. Hopibg to get by with without a second. Nowhere to buy more near Beachport I assume.

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
23 Feb 2014 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Don't think so

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
25 Feb 2014 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

LG state at 24.02.2014
I wanted to share this with you, specially for the people coming in the next few days
Yesterday was the lowest we have seen so far, photo token (with mobile) around 19ish.., I went to have a bit of cruise around to check levels
The last few days of SE have pushed nicely the water to the big lake

Today and tomorrow the wind will be SW, it should keep the water down the big lake more less..
Then the Thu SE should get the water ready for Fri and Sat even if the water is still higher that last year
The mud start Run is good and very shallow, but you want strong wind for it
The weather Station Run is very choppy untill you get close to the beach for the bareoff, then is very good
The Islands Run is really flat, weed really high (will need the smallest fin you got 18-21/45deg), will need a strong wind to carry the speed
The upper NM is really choppy due to the higher water level, and not so much weeds in the middle, will have to do it from higher as possible, watch for the rock garden!! few of us this year found it
The lower NM is choppy at first, then across the small chops, pretty good, more less like the weather station run
The Islands NM is very good, but near the spit shore where its very choppy, need strong wind
Sat should be the best day, water should be really low
Jamie if you read this and want to had something, I may have missed something or got wrong!!?
See you all there

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
25 Feb 2014 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

is it February 2015 yet?

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
25 Feb 2014 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sick_em_rex said..

is it February 2015 yet?

Could be if you have a tardis.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
25 Feb 2014 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said...
sick_em_rex said..

is it February 2015 yet?

Life will drag on till then. There are a number of properties for sale around Lake George. It would truly cool to live lakeside, earning cash from grazing and going windsurfing.

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
25 Feb 2014 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sick_em_rex said..

is it February 2015 yet?

DavMen
NSW, 1499 posts
25 Feb 2014 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

sick_em_rex said..

is it February 2015 yet?

OK Mike stop playing with the Tardis

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
25 Feb 2014 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavMen said..

decrepit said..

sick_em_rex said..

is it February 2015 yet?

OK Mike stop playing with the Tardis

LOL, that was funny

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
26 Feb 2014 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry sick-em-rex still another 4 weeks of February 2014 to go, I wish.

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
26 Feb 2014 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

I think you've been in Mike's tardis Ray.....only 2 days of February still to go in my universe!

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
28 Feb 2014 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone is currently at or planning to go to Beachport while Mike (Decrepit) is there and will travel back to or through Sydney on their way home, could you see him? I left a milkshake container behind in the cabin. Its not a big deal but my milkshake maker won't work without this particularly sized container. I've had a bit of a look in the local shopping centre and could not find one like the missing one. Mike has it now and could pass it on to whoever is coming back to NSW. Any assistance appreciated.

As its a wet weekend in Sydney I'll see if I can put together another video of Lake George windsurfing. I'd like to make one of the 4th of Feb (I think( when the wind blew its head off. Plenty of footage was taken so it should be possible to show what the lake is like when its really windy.

keef
NSW, 2016 posts
1 Mar 2014 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

PM Gary warren he's in mallacoota he's leavening soon , ill grab it from him the next time he's up here at primbee, then I can hand it on to one of the Newcastle boys ,maybe mick kay or the champ if there comeing up this year your milkshake container will be safe with those guys

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
1 Mar 2014 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
keef said..

PM Gary warren he's in mallacoota he's leavening soon , ill grab it from him the next time he's up here at primbee, then I can hand it on to one of the Newcastle boys ,maybe mick kay or the champ if there comeing up this year your milkshake container will be safe with those guys

This mug is turning into an Olympic torch. Why stop at Newcastle?
Do you think you could organise it to do a complete lap Keef? The way speedsailors get around, 3 laps by the next lake George Session is possible.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
1 Mar 2014 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

How about we get it engraved and it can become the Lake George Windsurfing Challenge Cup? Awarded for something like the sailor who gets the most PBs at Lake George in a calendar year in the GPSTC?

kato
VIC, 3398 posts
1 Mar 2014 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

I'm headed to lg then burrum, I can do the pick up and deliver . Might cost ya a milk shake

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
1 Mar 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Bugger the milk shake container, that can we wait. We all should be at Cocky's today, sigh!!!!!!!!!!!

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
1 Mar 2014 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Are there any photos / videos of the Queensland youngsters tearing up the lake over the last few days?

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
1 Mar 2014 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mobydisc said..

How about we get it engraved and it can become the Lake George Windsurfing Challenge Cup? Awarded for something like the sailor who gets the most PBs at Lake George in a calendar year in the GPSTC?

ah hem......6!!!!!!

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
1 Mar 2014 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

Are there any photos / videos of the Queensland youngsters tearing up the lake over the last few days?

Nah apparently he was just a blur

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
1 Mar 2014 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Well I could buy a gold texta and provisionally mark you in Andrew.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
1 Mar 2014 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

Well I could buy a gold texta and provisionally mark you in Andrew.

Hold that texta. I got 9 PBs down there. George may have achieved more.

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
1 Mar 2014 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

I meant I got a pb in every category. If you go off the GPSTC and use the top 5 PB's across the 6 categories then I achieved 19 out of 30. How did you come to your 9 Karl?

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
1 Mar 2014 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at my sessions at Lake George I achieved three on the third of Feb, three on the fourth and three on the tenth.

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
1 Mar 2014 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Qlder's ripping up Lake George.
(Stolen from photos)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George Speed Sessions 2014" started by Aus06